Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

TEFL or CELTA!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Re: TEFL or CELTA!

Postby Hero » March 3rd, 2016, 2:53 pm

It seems like a big hassle to sign up for the CELTA training. They ask a bunch of nosy questions on the application form (e.g. what are your future plans), they give you a pre-registration homework, and then you have to suffer through an interview. Do any of you know of anyone who was rejected by CELTA because of their answers on the application or the interview?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby Cornfed » March 3rd, 2016, 3:12 pm

Hero wrote:It seems like a big hassle to sign up for the CELTA training. They ask a bunch of nosy questions on the application form (e.g. what are your future plans), they give you a pre-registration homework, and then you have to suffer through an interview. Do any of you know of anyone who was rejected by CELTA because of their answers on the application or the interview?

No, but I know of people who were rejected for not doing their pre-enrollment assignment properly and had to re-submit it. This is all good in my opinion. It is an intensive course, so there is not time to bring illiterates and such up to speed. When you do the course you will be happy that your fellow course members have a working knowledge of the English language and a couple of brain cells to rub together, as that will help with your learning experience.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » March 4th, 2016, 2:41 am

I aced my CELTA interview but I was worried about the places who needed references (mine didn't ask for one). Don't worry too much - the main thing to remember is that if they don't think you'll pass, then you won't be allowed on the course. If you get a place then they KNOW you have the potential to pass.

The CELTA *is* a tough thing to pass, after all it is the equivalent of a UK HND course. The CELTA drove me to the edge of insanity. If you have the funds then do what I did last year and do it part-time. I did mine in Barcelona which is a fabulous city and International House is a very famous language school.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

-----

Postby Ghost » March 4th, 2016, 4:39 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Hero » March 4th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Anyone here teaching in Eastern Europe (especially the Ukraine)?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussions