Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Are Americans Violent?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Are Americans Violent?

Postby Tonitrus » July 16th, 2011, 3:22 am

I was speaking with a friend of mine from France who told me that "les américains sont naturellement violents (Americans are naturally violent)." I have heard this before and a quick look at intentional homicide rates and assaults per capita by country would indicate that of industrialized nations the USA does have a particularly high rate of violence.

What struck me as particularly interesting however is that there is no real correlation between economic status and violent crime. For example, although the GDP per capita of the average Indian is only $3,400, the intentional homicide rate in India is only 2.8 people per year out of ever 100,000 and the rate of assault is only 0.219 out of every 1,000 people per year (compared to the USA's 5/100,000 and 7.569/1000).

So my question is, are Americans naturally violent? What makes a culture value violence over pacifism? Which cultures are more pacifist than others?

I would greatly appreciate it if the people on this site provided some personal experiences in their responses.

Thank you
Tonitrus
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 34
Joined: June 29th, 2011, 7:08 am




Check out our Dating Sites and HA International Romance Tours!



Postby odbo » July 16th, 2011, 3:47 am

TV makes people violent. Before film and tv there was almost no violence anywhere (not counting war). Research the case of Bhutan which only got tv around 1998 (to watch the world cup) and didn't really get into it until ~2004. Overnight there appeared crime and people began to change, each chose a cliche form of "individuality". Some were attracted to thug culture, (these men and women started dressing in leather, smoking cigarettes, acting like badasses who have a tough life.. when in reality they don't and are being negative because it's "cool").

The average American child witnesses something like 10,000 murders on tv by the time they hit 18. How much positivity do you think they are exposed to? And we wonder why American society is f***ed up.
odbo
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: January 6th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Postby MarkDY » July 16th, 2011, 3:53 am

I ‘m sure the residents of France’s former colonies would describe the French as naturally violent.
Let’s remember Europe was the host to three continental wars, ethnic cleaning, concentration camps and gulags in the last century. And with the growing tension with its growing Muslim population, its about due for another war.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 3:22 am
Location: Annapolis

I See

Postby ErikHeaven » July 16th, 2011, 4:17 am

My younger black brothers (I am 40) and many of them walk around with this constant mean look on their face, they think they are gangsta because they listen to violent rap songs all day. Yes i think degenerate music and movies have made many people ultra violent and crazy. And also the drug culture is frying many people's minds. But then again look at the drug cartels in Mexico i mean when is the last time you ever heard a black American gang banger decapitate somebody?
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Postby Think Different » July 16th, 2011, 7:55 am

American pop culture glorifies violence and individuality, lone wolf vigilantes and vendettas. It's also a culture that absolutely forbids the showing of sexual intercourse and "private parts" on all but the most rare pay channels. On the one hand, American culture likes to portray itself as so morally pure, religious, and wholesome, but do a Google search for any basic thing like "girl" and you get nude photos. The majority of the world's porn industry is based in America, too. America is a totally schizophrenic culture that says it's OK to show ultra violent murders on TV, but never a man and a woman showing love and affection to each other through sex. You tell me if that's normal. It's not. It's sick in the head. Your French friend is correct: Americans are violent and our pop culture has bred that into us. TV in France has tons of nudity and love scenes. You see topless women at the beach. In France most of their films are about love stories (which does get boring after a while, to be honest) and feminine women.

I think another big reason Americans are violent is due to the feminization of the culture and the emasculation of men. The fact that American men can no longer act like real men and have been so completely propagandized against and discriminated against for 40 years, leaves men with a helpless and desperate sense in their mind. A man who is not appreciated for who he is, quickly becomes like an animal. Yes, I put this all at the feet of the feminist agenda and the destruction of our culture by Hollywood.
Think Different
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 907
Joined: April 8th, 2010, 5:28 am
Location: Germany

Re: Are Americans Violent?

Postby Rock » July 16th, 2011, 8:47 am

Tonitrus wrote:I was speaking with a friend of mine from France who told me that "les américains sont naturellement violents (Americans are naturally violent)." I have heard this before and a quick look at intentional homicide rates and assaults per capita by country would indicate that of industrialized nations the USA does have a particularly high rate of violence.

What struck me as particularly interesting however is that there is no real correlation between economic status and violent crime. For example, although the GDP per capita of the average Indian is only $3,400, the intentional homicide rate in India is only 2.8 people per year out of ever 100,000 and the rate of assault is only 0.219 out of every 1,000 people per year (compared to the USA's 5/100,000 and 7.569/1000).

So my question is, are Americans naturally violent? What makes a culture value violence over pacifism? Which cultures are more pacifist than others?

I would greatly appreciate it if the people on this site provided some personal experiences in their responses.

Thank you


If you use murder and violent assault rates as a proxy for how violent a place is, the picture is fairly complex. In Africa, South Africa and Nigeria probably stand out as being the most violent (not including wars). Ethiopia and Ghana are generally much safer even though they are poorer. In Asia, Paupa New Guinea is extremely high while Vietnam is quite low. In the diverse rich world countries, you have countries like the US where certain areas are just as bad as the worst 3rd world countries - ie East St. Louis, IL, Detroit, Camden, large parts of DC, etc. But in the segregated first world - Japan, S. Korea, Singapore, etc., violent crime rates are among the lowest in the world. I believe there is definitely a racial/ethnic component involved in the driving forces of how violent a society is. But there's a lot more to it than that.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:16 pm

Postby Tonitrus » July 16th, 2011, 10:45 pm

I don't know if this really has anything to do with it but, does anyone think that it may have something to do with competition over the attention of females? I can easily see how violence would arise from competition over females but are societies where sex is more easy to come by generally less violent?
Tonitrus
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 34
Joined: June 29th, 2011, 7:08 am

Re: I See

Postby NorthAmericanguy » July 17th, 2011, 1:05 am

ErikHeaven wrote:My younger black brothers (I am 40) and many of them walk around with this constant mean look on their face, they think they are gangsta because they listen to violent rap songs all day. Yes i think degenerate music and movies have made many people ultra violent and crazy. And also the drug culture is frying many people's minds. But then again look at the drug cartels in Mexico i mean when is the last time you ever heard a black American gang banger decapitate somebody?


Yea, it's funny how white nationalist think of black people as animals, and how they fear black males coming into their neighborhoods because they think they will rape their wives and kill them, but the truth is, the biggest threat to white Americans are REAL outlaw gangs like the Mara Salvatrucha that have already infiltrated United States. These guys not only chop up bodies but they also sometimes eat the people they kill.

Image






Black males are DONE in this country and they are no threat to anybody but themselves.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 4:16 am

Postby NorthAmericanguy » July 17th, 2011, 1:09 am

MarkDY wrote:I ‘m sure the residents of France’s former colonies would describe the French as naturally violent.
Let’s remember Europe was the host to three continental wars, ethnic cleaning, concentration camps and gulags in the last century. And with the growing tension with its growing Muslim population, its about due for another war.


+ Yep, the title belongs to Europe.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 4:16 am

Postby NorthAmericanguy » July 17th, 2011, 1:14 am

Think Different wrote:
I think another big reason Americans are violent is due to the feminization of the culture and the emasculation of men. The fact that American men can no longer act like real men and have been so completely propagandized against and discriminated against for 40 years, leaves men with a helpless and desperate sense in their mind. A man who is not appreciated for who he is, quickly becomes like an animal. Yes, I put this all at the feet of the feminist agenda and the destruction of our culture by Hollywood.



Hmmm, I respectfully disagree. If anything, feminized men become passive, apathetic, and less aggressive in their general nature.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 4:16 am

Re: Are Americans Violent?

Postby NorthAmericanguy » July 17th, 2011, 1:38 am

[quote="Tonitrus"]I was speaking with a friend of mine from France who told me that "les américains sont naturellement violents (Americans are naturally violent)." I have heard this before and a quick look at intentional homicide rates and assaults per capita by country would indicate that of industrialized nations the USA does have a particularly high rate of violence.

What struck me as particularly interesting however is that there is no real correlation between economic status and violent crime. For example, although the GDP per capita of the average Indian is only $3,400, the intentional homicide rate in India is only 2.8 people per year out of ever 100,000 and the rate of assault is only 0.219 out of every 1,000 people per year (compared to the USA's 5/100,000 and 7.569/1000).

So my question is, are Americans naturally violent? What makes a culture value violence over pacifism? Which cultures are more pacifist than others?

[/quote]

I believe culture, climate, and the amount of basic resources that are available are all factors in how aggressive a group of people become so the issue is really complex. But generally speaking, if the basic resources are scarce, the climate is cold and unforgiving, and the culture lacks some type of teachings that encourages man to treat each other with some kind of humanity, then most likely those people will be warlike in nature.


As far as Americans, I personally don't feel they are violent. Come on are you serious? Americans are fat, lazy, stupid apathetic individuals who rather crack a joke with you then beat you over the head with a club. Sure, some fringe groups like poor males who join gangs become violent Americans, or NFL guys who TRAIN to be violent, but as far as your average American, they are probably just as passive as a Filipino, though, not because of culture, but because they have all their needs met in abundance.
Last edited by NorthAmericanguy on July 17th, 2011, 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 4:16 am

Black America Is Finished!

Postby ErikHeaven » July 17th, 2011, 1:40 am

Black males are DONE in this country and they are no threat to anybody but themselves.
I wholeheartedly agree on that statement. I just told some brother on Youtube today that Black America is finished. He is on that Black Power Bullshit and of course he disagreed with me. Dr Cornell West said:Blacks do not want freedom Blacks want to be successful". And i agree with him as well.
I see so many gay young males (I am not Homophobic by the way) or young males who are into fashion and sneakers and exotic hair styles its like the spirit of womanhood aka feminism is hard on Black American males here.
I tell them Black Power Cats all the time who is going to lead the revolution? Tyler Perry? That Negro got more followers than any Black Nationalist or Black Supremacist could ever find. Black America is finished the recession will kill off the rest and for the rest of us its just time enough to seriously prepare to leave America before she collapses.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1050
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Cowards masquerading as tough guys

Postby odbo » July 17th, 2011, 2:25 am

Nice rant 8)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbKgoRBb-o[/youtube]

Image
odbo
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: January 6th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Postby Repatriate » July 17th, 2011, 2:30 am

Yes, Americans definitely do have a mean streak. I don't see how this is deniable. If you look at the history and social events that have formed America you'll see it's erupted several times in wars and social strife. I mean if you just look at the violent crime statistics it's very interesting.

It's a country that has roots in religious fanaticism. The politics are still very conservative and people often adopt prudish anal retentive behavior about life.

I've already stated my theories about this but the reason why American men like to fight and are fascinated with violence so much is because it's of the competitive and "always proving" yourself nature of the society. Women encourage this sort of behavior too by attaching themselves to men they view as "alphas" whether in attitude or masculinity. SO this means guys who act like this tend to get the most respect.

This leads to a lot of unhappy unfulfilled men for sure since it's really not natural for people to be constantly agitated all the time.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Postby Rock » July 17th, 2011, 3:38 am

Tonitrus wrote:I don't know if this really has anything to do with it but, does anyone think that it may have something to do with competition over the attention of females? I can easily see how violence would arise from competition over females but are societies where sex is more easy to come by generally less violent?


Don't think so. For example, sex is probably a lot easier to get for an average or poor bloke in Brazil or Kenya than say the UAE or India even though the former two are generally much more violent street crime wise than the latter two.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4225
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:16 pm

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests