Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Spanish or Portuguese?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Spanish or Portuguese?

Postby Tonitrus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:08 pm

I can only take classes in one or the other and I want to know which one the users of Happier Abroad would choose if faced with this decision. I can't do both.
Last edited by Tonitrus on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonitrus
Freshman Poster

Postby adria2789 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 pm

I think Spanish will take you further. It is spoken in about 21 countries and has about 417 million speakers, I believe. But if you have your heart set on Brazil or another Portuguese speaking country, then Portuguese. Plus, Spanish and Portuguese are romance languages, so if you know Spanish, Portuguese will come a bit easier for you to learn.
"Preservation of one's own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures." - Cesar Chavez
adria2789
Freshman Poster

Postby skateboardstephen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:26 pm

both
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Postby crazyaboutabroad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Spanish. Portuguese won't get you anywhere. It's a horrible language by the way.

Ps: I'm brazilian.
Searching my new place where i'll be millionaire and loved.
crazyaboutabroad
Freshman Poster

Postby AmericanInMexico » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I myself learned Spanish but that's because I live in Mexico.

I would say Spanish would be more useful for you if your goal is to find foreign women. Assuming you're an American, then Mexico is right across the southern border. If you don't want a Mexican, then there are about 20 other Spanish-speaking countries.

Portuguese on the other hand is spoken mainly in Portugal and Brazil. The main problem with Brazil is that US citizens require a visa to travel there, unlike most Spanish-speaking countries where having a US passport allows you instant entry. I once considered going to Brazil but the visa requirement made me decide against it.

However, if you really do want a Brazilian woman (or even a Portuguese woman) learn Portuguese.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Postby skateboardstephen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 pm

crazyaboutabroad wrote:Spanish. Portuguese won't get you anywhere. It's a horrible language by the way.

Ps: I'm brazilian.

i like português better even though i speak español just as good.there are just too damb many ways to speak spanish i at least i have the slang from brasil pretty much down but there are so many versions and chopped up versions of the spainish language. i speak plane text book spanish i can be understood every where but i can't understand every one i understand south american,central american spanish fine but when it comes to the caribbean spanish i can get lost those folks do what ever the hell they want with spanish i can be irritating
Last edited by skateboardstephen on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Postby ssjparris » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 am

what the hell.....dude...BOTH,,,,go for BOTH !!!!.

BRAZILIAN WOMEN ARE SUPER AWESOME just like argentinian, colombian, mexican ( if you like big asses your gonna love latin america ). i would prefer to learn spanish first. you can go to different countries with this one language.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Postby Jeygonza » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Spanish first!!!!
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner
Jeygonza
Freshman Poster

Postby zboy1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:49 pm

jeinmy_paul wrote:Spanish first!!!!

I agree. It's just more useful than Portuguese. More people speak Spanish than Portuguese in the world.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby OTB » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Definitely Spanish if you're thinking about spending some time in any country in Latin America other than Brazil. If you heart is set on spending time in Brazil then Portuguese.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Return to General Discussions