How To Travel The World Cheaply on a Shoestring Budget

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

How To Travel The World Cheaply on a Shoestring Budget

Post by Taco »

I thought this video has some excellent travel ideas.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

If I had a girlfriend that looked like Graham Hughes' (Host of "The Odyssey") girlfriend I'd want to travel the world for a year too. Ugh, I hope he's drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG_4V1Ez8_g&NR=1
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How To Travel The World Cheaply

Post by djfourmoney »

Taco wrote:I thought this video has some excellent travel ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbCgr6jJ_0
He has several very good tips... Good video and I subbed him. Thanks!
newlife
Freshman Poster

Post by newlife »

I have no idea how some of them travel that cheaply. Sounds fun though.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How To Travel The World Cheaply on a Shoestring Budget

Post by Winston »

Wow that video sounds interesting. Here's the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbCgr6jJ_0

Graham Hughes, the first person to visit every country in the world without flying offers his expert advice on how to travel the world on a shoestring.

When asked how can I afford to travel so much, I feel like retorting with: how can you afford your rent? To keep a dog? To have children? To smoke? When I travel, I have no rent to pay, no dog to feed, no kids to look after or cigarette companies to support, so 100% of the money I have can go on travel. Keeping to a budget of $15 a day is fairly easy if you're CouchSurfing (free), eating street food ($2 a meal) and travelling on the chicken bus ($10 per 100 miles). That's just $5500 a year -- less than a typical British cigarette smoker will spend on ciggies over the same period and much, much less than the rent on a flat in London or the cost of bringing up children.

"The toughest part of travel is deciding to go."

Travel isn't a question of being loaded, it's a question of priorities. Obviously if you want comfort and security, stay at home, work hard and maybe go on a cruise when you're 67 years old. If you're lucky enough to live that long. But if you want to see the world NOW, while you're young, rush headlong into the thrill and vigour of the unknown, wake up every day in a new place with new challenges and new friends, then the world is your dancefloor -- all you have to do is make the decision to GET OUT THERE and strut your funky stuff.

To read about my Guinness World Record Breaking journey to every country in the world without flying visit http://www.theodysseyexpedition.com or you can watch the BBC documentary about my travels here: https://www.youtube.com/show/theodysseylonelyplanet (UK Only)

Filmed on location in Sorong, West Papua and various places on Planet Earth.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow I can't believe TEDx Talks has videos about how to travel with almost no money! No way!

Graham Hughes, the guy in the OP's video, explains in this TEDx Talk how he traveled to every country in the world without ever getting on a plane! Wow I didn't know that was possible.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. Is it really possible to fly abroad for 20 dollars? No way.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Nomadic-Tyn ... 003RISMM0/

Life Nomadic is equal parts inspiration and practical advice for anyone who has ever dreamed of traveling the world. Learn how to take luxury cruises for less than thirty dollars a day, buy flights for as little as twenty dollars, and book hotels for not much more. Besides traveling cheaply, you'll also discover how to get the most out of your travels buy packing light, living like a local, and using cutting edge technology to your advantage.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Book about how to be a digital nomad and travel around the world perpetually and have multiple homes around the world at a low cost. Sounds perfect for the guys here!

https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Nomad-Ul ... 07CCNV34D/

Forever Nomad: The Ultimate Guide to World Travel, From a Weekend to a Lifetime

Forever Nomad is a comprehensive guide to world travel, for first time travelers, long-time nomads, and everyone in between. Learn all the tricks nomads use to get plane tickets for a fraction of what normal people pay, how to maximize points and loyalty programs, how to access airport lounges and other VIP perks, and how to work and make friends around the world. You’ll even discover how to have multiple homes around the world for less than it costs for a one-bedroom in your home city.

Most importantly, learn how to travel in harmony with regular life, rather than have it become a stressful disruption as it is for most people.

Forever Nomad is a book about making the entire world into your world, and doing so in a sustainable and enjoyable way.

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 6:08 am
Check this out. Is it really possible to fly abroad for 20 dollars? No way.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Nomadic-Tyn ... 003RISMM0/

Life Nomadic is equal parts inspiration and practical advice for anyone who has ever dreamed of traveling the world. Learn how to take luxury cruises for less than thirty dollars a day, buy flights for as little as twenty dollars, and book hotels for not much more. Besides traveling cheaply, you'll also discover how to get the most out of your travels buy packing light, living like a local, and using cutting edge technology to your advantage.
Tynan has been around forever. He was in the house with Neil Strauss and Mystery in the book "The Game." He may travel cheaply but he doesn't have any financial worries. He's independently wealthy: trust fund, rich parents, etc. Most of the people that tout that you can travel cheaply, don't have any money worries. There are a zillion guys and girls with blogs and YouTube channels touting this. They'll tell you that they pay for their travels through blogging and advertising. Many will sell you a book or course on how you can do it too. If it seems to good to be true, it is.

All of my travels have always cost me a lot more than I anticipated. I have followed Graham Hughes's 20 pointers of how to travel cheap and it still costs a hell of a lot more money. I don't want to couch surf everywhere I go. I don't want to eat street food when I just come to a country. I will get sick. Getting sick in a foreign country is very bad. I was in India puking and diarrhea for days.

These guys sell the dream. Nobody wants to watch their videos of they say they have a trust fund and act poor because it makes them seem cool.

On my last extended trip overseas. I estimated what I thought I'd spend or what I wanted to spend. When I got home I added up all my ATM withdrawals, and found out the truth. I had spent about double what I had wanted to spend. Good luck to you guys traveling cheaply. Hey if all you want to do is share a 12 bed hostel room, then enjoy, but it makes a poor way to date girls.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re:

Post by WorldTraveler »

Taco wrote:
September 18th, 2011, 8:45 pm
If I had a girlfriend that looked like Graham Hughes' (Host of "The Odyssey") girlfriend I'd want to travel the world for a year too. Ugh, I hope he's drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG_4V1Ez8_g&NR=1
I can't see her because I'm not in the UK. Can you do a screen grab and post her picture? Thanks. :D

Never mind, I saw her on another video. Kind of manly, not sexy.
Last edited by WorldTraveler on August 11th, 2018, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re:

Post by WorldTraveler »

The videos of his first year are interesting. Does he have videos of the other years too?

I just went through his blog for India and there is only a single photo, of an Indian girl. Are pictures somewhere else?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

WorldTraveler wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Tynan has been around forever. He was in the house with Neil Strauss and Mystery in the book "The Game." He may travel cheaply but he doesn't have any financial worries. He's independently wealthy: trust fund, rich parents, etc. Most of the people that tout that you can travel cheaply, don't have any money worries. There are a zillion guys and girls with blogs and YouTube channels touting this. They'll tell you that they pay for their travels through blogging and advertising. Many will sell you a book or course on how you can do it too. If it seems to good to be true, it is.

All of my travels have always cost me a lot more than I anticipated. I have followed Graham Hughes's 20 pointers of how to travel cheap and it still costs a hell of a lot more money. I don't want to couch surf everywhere I go. I don't want to eat street food when I just come to a country. I will get sick. Getting sick in a foreign country is very bad. I was in India puking and diarrhea for days.

These guys sell the dream. Nobody wants to watch their videos of they say they have a trust fund and act poor because it makes them seem cool.

On my last extended trip overseas. I estimated what I thought I'd spend or what I wanted to spend. When I got home I added up all my ATM withdrawals, and found out the truth. I had spent about double what I had wanted to spend. Good luck to you guys traveling cheaply. Hey if all you want to do is share a 12 bed hostel room, then enjoy, but it makes a poor way to date girls.
How do you know he has a trust fund and rich parents? Did he admit that? If so it won't help him sell books obviously. lol

You are right. When I travel, I spend more than I expect too. Lots of little things add up. It also depends on how well you eat and how many souvenirs you buy and how often you drink when thirsty, how many snacks you get, how many attractions you visit, etc.

But in theory, if you only use Couchsurfing and no hotels, or use some hostels, and then you hitchhike on the road, or take buses only, then yeah you can travel for very cheap.

Btw, Couchsurfing is not bad. The people tend to be very kind, open minded and freespirited. Some couples hook up on CS too or get laid from it. The girls on it tend to be freespirits so they don't judge you by material standards, only by whether they are attracted to you physically or not. lol

Hostels are fun too. You meet lots of interesting people. And they invite you out with them to tour the area. So you can make some great friends and contacts there. It's better than being lonely in a hotel room. Of course you have to deal with lack of privacy in dorm rooms. But some hostels have private rooms, and during winter some hostels are empty so you have the dorm room all to yourself.

I wouldn't worry about looking poor to girls though. If they like you they won't mind if you stay in a hostel. If you find a girl that likes you and wants to stay with you, all you have to do is tell them: "Let's stay together then. I will get us a private room in a hotel tomorrow. Ok?" See how easy that is? You can easily move from a hostel to a hotel room if needed. So why do you guys think it's such a bad thing? Only gold diggers and users would look down on you for staying in a hostel or hold it against you. Not good genuine women.

So why be lonely and stay in a hotel? I can stay in a hostel and if necessary, I will move to a hotel room, if I meet a girl who wants to stay with me in a private room and we hit it off. Very simple right?

Street food depends. You don't want to eat street food in Philippines, but the street food in Thailand is ok. Also you can always go to Subway or McDonald's. You won't get sick there. There are also canteens with decent cheap food too. You can also go to 7-11 and eat instant noodles. lol. In Japan you can eat ramen noodles in convenience stores cheaply without worry since their quality standards are the highest.

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 11:00 pm
WorldTraveler wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:35 pm

How do you know he has a trust fund and rich parents? Did he admit that? If so it won't help him sell books obviously. lol

You are right. When I travel, I spend more than I expect too. Lots of little things add up. It also depends on how well you eat and how many souvenirs you buy and how often you drink when thirsty, how many snacks you get, how many attractions you visit, etc.

But in theory, if you only use Couchsurfing and no hotels, or use some hostels, and then you hitchhike on the road, or take buses only, then yeah you can travel for very cheap.

Btw, Couchsurfing is not bad. The people tend to be very kind, open minded and freespirited. Some couples hook up on CS too or get laid from it. The girls on it tend to be freespirits so they don't judge you by material standards, only by whether they are attracted to you physically or not. lol

Hostels are fun too. You meet lots of interesting people. And they invite you out with them to tour the area. So you can make some great friends and contacts there. It's better than being lonely in a hotel room. Of course you have to deal with lack of privacy in dorm rooms. But some hostels have private rooms, and during winter some hostels are empty so you have the dorm room all to yourself.

I wouldn't worry about looking poor to girls though. If they like you they won't mind if you stay in a hostel. If you find a girl that likes you and wants to stay with you, all you have to do is tell them: "Let's stay together then. I will get us a private room in a hotel tomorrow. Ok?" See how easy that is? You can easily move from a hostel to a hotel room if needed. So why do you guys think it's such a bad thing? Only gold diggers and users would look down on you for staying in a hostel or hold it against you. Not good genuine women.

So why be lonely and stay in a hotel? I can stay in a hostel and if necessary, I will move to a hotel room, if I meet a girl who wants to stay with me in a private room and we hit it off. Very simple right?

Street food depends. You don't want to eat street food in Philippines, but the street food in Thailand is ok. Also you can always go to Subway or McDonald's. You won't get sick there. There are also canteens with decent cheap food too. You can also go to 7-11 and eat instant noodles. lol. In Japan you can eat ramen noodles in convenience stores cheaply without worry since their quality standards are the highest.
Tynan has been written about on other sites as being wealthy. He does have some computer talent, so could get a job if he wanted one.

Hitchhiking is illegal in some states or certain roads in the USA. Yes staying in hostels can be a lot of fun and I look for them when traveling alone. The problem is the USA most places don't have hostels. California has many, but many states have none. Take a look at a map of the USA hostels and you'll be surprised. Unfortunately the US is a pretty expensive country to travel around. Hotels are not cheap. Yes, if you stay in hostel you can move to a hotel with your girl. I did this in Odessa, Ukraine.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nishitha
Freshman Poster

Post by nishitha »

The cheapest way to travel the world is to plan your trip based on your budget. Think before what you need and what you can live without. The initial thing is to decide where you want to travel and try to book flight tickets in advance there are many travel agencies available online like Indian Eagle. Find free places to stay.