Another reason not to get invoed with AW!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Another reason not to get invoed with AW!

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Take a look at these stories guys. These are young American women who went to collage and racked up 100k-200k in STUDENT LOANS!

Seriously, I could find the perfect American girl but if she had 200k in student loans I would never take it further then a sport f8***k. And to think, some FOOL is going to marry these girls and if the creditors can prove that any debts were commingled in anyway they can stick bill to the husband.

"Actually, the United States has the highest tuition out of the whole world. They increase tuition every year, making it impossible to not be in debt. I have been in school for 6 years, and there has been an increase every year. I was actually contemplating on not finishing. I do think it is the governments responsibility to make sure tuition stays at a minimum. I am going to be 26 years old and have almost 100,000 in student loan debt. Ridiculous." -- Jennifer

"Hi, My name is Holly and I am going to graduate in a month, I am in debt upwards of 180,000 dollars (art school) and I am trying to start a new life for myself, and yet I am swimming in debt. Not only that, but my parents took out a second mortgage for these loans and if I can’t pay them back, my entire family will lose our house. Are there are programs to help new graduates get off the ground and into a stable situation? Or is it really as cut-throat as I have been lead to believe? --Holly"

"I recently got married (idiot) and soon found out my wife had around $40k in debt to none other than Sallie Mae. As frustrating as this was to find out, I can live with this as long as she stays on top of it. She has.

The twist to this this story comes now as we are planning to go back to her home country, Costa Rica, and live. As I am sure you can imagine, the salaries there are not what they would be in the states and I am not sure what is going to happen in the case that she falls behind.

The question is this……What will happen to me (if anything) in the case that she, or we I suppose, stop paying the school loans? I am more concerned about if this can fall onto my shoulders…her debt. Can it? Will it? What recourse do the powers that be have against me?….in a foriegn country……"

"The advice for deferment and forbearance is great for temporary loan relief, but what if your life circumstances are *never* going to improve? My mom has almost $90,000 in PLUS loan debt, consolidated with ACS. The interest rate is locked in at 8.5. My mom works as a bagger in a grocery store. I went to film school and make enough to pay my bills and the loans in my name, but not enough to make payments on the PLUS loan as well. I wish I had read the advice about not taking out huge loans if you’re going to art school when I was 17, but it’s too late now (I graduated in 2002). Regardless, the loans are not in my name, they are in hers. She is not going to get a better job. We have sent a letter trying to work out lower monthly payments and are waiting to hear back (the loan is in deferment now and has been since I graduated). Assuming that doesn’t work out, what other option is there? And even if we do work out a lower monthly payments, are we really going to have to keep paying until she dies I feel it’s predatory for loan companies to give loans to people who obviously won’t be able to repay them." --Amber

"I am a senior in college and although I have another year to go before I graduate and 6 mths after that before I pay my payments, I am freaking out. I have almost $80,000 in private student loans with Sallie Mae and Aes, and $30,000 in federal with NelNet. I took the private student loans because I was going to an out-go-state school. I thought that I would not have a problem paying them because I was “going� to consolidate the private ones, work in a poor area for forgivness on the federal, and my husband-who is now my ex of 4 months- made a good income to help me pay them off.

I am a single mother now–he is not the father–and going to college and now have all of this loan debt and it seems that private consolidation has flown out the window. My salary is going to be about $26,000 a year and the payments look like they will be about $1300 a month (not including the federal loans). With my mortgage I have now and other regular bills, My monthly BILLS are about $1600. This would give me $2900 a month to pay in total BILLS and that is impossible!!!! Sallie Mae is set at a Prime rate and the AES is at Libor. I am in big trouble and already broke because of the divorce. You guys and your stories are making me have nightmares about my future. Is there any hope??
" -- Vickie

"My student loans are about to become due in a month and I can barely breathe. The depression, of just knowing the total, is almost too much to bear and sometimes I worry about myself.

I have federal and private loans, together equaling around 85k. I got a job soon after I graduated but was laid off. I am barely keeping up with my other bills…how can I afford 900 a month to Sallie Mae? Should I consolidate? I just want to be able to afford my payments…My mom is a cosigner and I don’t want to damage her credit. She isn’t in a place to help me with my loans.

Someone please help me…"
---Cassie

"I am a social worker and make 50k a year. I have an apartment and car, not to mention living expenses. I paid the price for two masters’ degrees from an Ivy League institution and am now in a bind. I have over 150K in student loan, both public and private. I am currently in deferment, but will be asked to start repayment in a few months. My loan providers are asking almost $1300 a month–that more than 50% of my income. I have always made payments and have haggled trying to get a better rate with no success. I am in the process of consulting a consumer lawyer because I too was harassed via the telephone and letters. " --- AMY

"OK – long story short, I lost my job when I had my baby (small business no maternity leave), six weeks later my husband lost his job. we moved and found new jobs where we make less than minimum wage, and we are a family of three with two college degrees. We have a mix of federal and private loans owing around $100,000 combined. Our monthly payments are over $1,000. Yeah, right. We can’t consolidate because married couples can’t consolidate together, and you can’t consolidate private with federal. No help there. We have deferred and forbeared as long as we can and have spoken with the companies numerous times and they keep giving us the finger. They will not help us in any way, shape or form. We are abolutely screwed, not to mention the fact that my cosigners (parents) are next in line to take the financial rape on their credit. What do I do? If I pay them, we starve and become homeless. If I don’t pay them, they garnish our wages and we starve and become homeless. Is this the new form of capital punishment? And does anyone know – what will happen if I just send them like $20? Can they send me to collections if I am at least trying?"--- Nicole

"my daughter is in the same boat as all of you who have a private loan through sallie mae. She is so depressed that i am scared for her that she doesnt do anything stupid. she cant talk to anyone there who speaks english and than when you get someone who does they just go around in circles. She is suppose to begin paying 1200 a month. A riduculous amount considering she has other bills and only makes 1400 a month. She travels over 100 miles a day to her job, which took 1 year after graduation from college to get, she is in bad need of a car to get to her job, she borrows mine which has over 90000 miles on it, and will probably live at home forever, she is 24 yrs old. they will not give her more years to pay these loans and keep telling her to put the loans in forebearance. The debt will still be there which they are too stupid to understand. I wish now she would of not went to college to better herself and just got a job at mcdonalds and made min. wages. at least she wouldnt have this debt over her head. She isnt sleeping and or eating much, i am scared for her health and well being. Please does anyone have any answers for her…..also she talked to someone at sallie mae tonight and they no longer consolidate their loans, how convenient for them. She just had to hassle with her credit card company and now this, i dont know how much more she can take. Her dad and I have our own money problems so right now we cant help her but hopefully someone out there can direct us in the right path for her sake. thanks" ----- Pam

hXXp://parentstudentloans.wordpress.com/2007/08/03/i-cant-afford-my-student-loan-payments-what-do-i-do/
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Crud. And my parents want me to only date American college girls. (You can easily guess what many of them are like.) Heck, no way.

But, they didn't say anything about not dating non-Chinese/Taiwanese girls. I was a bit confused until I read this paper called "Interethnic Marriage: A Choice between Ethnic and Educational Similarities":
http://ftp.iza.org/dp3448.pdf
... racial groups that are more education oriented, like Asians, are more willing to sacrifice ethnic similarities for educational similarities in a spouse.
And,
We also provide suggestive evidence that, relative to education, Asians value shared ancestry with a spouse less than Whites and Hispanics. This may be because of the importance of education in Asian culture.
See also Winston's article "Critical Observations about East Asian Mentality and Culture." http://www.happierabroad.com/Asian_Mentality.htm I don't agree with everything in there, but it nevertheless an impressive article.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

NorthAmericanguy, could you please cite your sources? All this needs to be shown to narrow-minded Asian parents who are obsessed with making sure their children only marry people with graduate degrees (or are on their way to them), with little to no regard for other characteristics.
thecobra2
Freshman Poster

Post by thecobra2 »

My ex girlfriend after finishing University had $30,000 in student loan debt, $10,000 VISA (maxed) and $23,000 owning for a brand new car in University. She wanted to get married but I said absolutely not. She studied Anthropology which meant that she was not able to find a decent job.

I went to University in Canada for 8 years and never took out any student loans. Today, I am completely debt free and I have complete freedom. The total cost of my education was probably around $120,000 or more and I managed to save enough during the summer to cover all of the expenses. I had no family members help me. I don't understand why people insist on taking out massive student loans. These women should be avoided like the plague!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Falcon wrote:NorthAmericanguy, could you please cite your sources?
Sure. I left a link to the source of the comments at the bottom of my first post. I used XXX instead of http to avoid any hostile traffic.

If you want to see more go here: http://studentloanjustice.org/victims.htm
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

thecobra2 wrote:She wanted to get married but I said absolutely not. She studied Anthropology which meant that she was not able to find a decent job.
And what gets me mad is that women like this are being used in the statistics to make that case that more women are going to collage and that somehow means that women are outperforming men.

thecobra2 wrote:I went to University in Canada for 8 years and never took out any student loans. Today, I am completely debt free and I have complete freedom. The total cost of my education was probably around $120,000 or more and I managed to save enough during the summer to cover all of the expenses. I had no family members help me. I don't understand why people insist on taking out massive student loans. These women should be avoided like the plague!
+1
cadams84
Freshman Poster

Post by cadams84 »

With these tuition prices you can marry a foreign girl and pay tuition for her and the rest of her family in their country while coming out ahead. :S

Why don't some of these people spend two years at a community college before going to university and save them selves $30,000+??