Study shows American women are the most harassed. Are they?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Study shows American women are the most harassed. Are they?

Post by Falcon »

I do not support sexual harassment, and strongly believe women need to be respected. But ...

Check out http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/res ... tatistics/

Why is it that more women in California and Indianapolis (100%!) claim they have experienced sexual harassment than in the far more misogynist countries of Yemen and Egypt?

Here's how they did the research http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/res ... c-studies/ :
1. Indianapolis: In one of the first street harassment studies ever conducted, Carol Brooks Gardner, associate professor of sociology and women’s studies at Indiana University, Indianapolis, interviewed 293 women in Indianapolis, Indiana, over several years in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The women were from every race, age, class, and sexual orientation category of the general population in Indiana and the United States. Gardner found that every single woman (100 percent) could cite several examples of being harassed by unknown men in public and all but nine of the women classified those experiences as “troublesome.�
"Harassed"? "Unknown men in public"? "Troublesome"? Give me a break.
3. California Bay Area: Laura Beth Nielsen, professor of sociology and the law at Northwestern University conducted a study of 100 women’s and men’s experiences with offensive speech in the California San Francisco Bay Area in the early 2000s. She found that 100 percent of the 54 women she asked had been the target of offensive or sexually-suggestive remarks at least occasionally: 19 percent said every day, 43 percent said often, and 28 percent said sometimes. Notably, they were the target of such speech significantly more often than they were of “polite� remarks about their appearance.
Now what determines whether the remarks are "offensive" or "polite"?

Now here's actual harassment:
10. Yemen: In Yemen, the Yemen Times conducted a survey on teasing and sexual harassment in Sana’a in 2009. Ninety percent of the 70 interviewees from Sana’a said they had been sexually harassed in public. Seventy-two percent of the women said they were called sexually-charged names while walking on the streets and 20 percent of this group said it happens on a regular basis. About 37 percent of the sample said they had experienced physical harassment. Like those in Egypt, these survey results implied that being veiled did not lessen the harassment, because wearing a veil in public is so common.
It's about actual physical dangers and fears too:
11. India: Throughout 2009, the Centre for Equity and Inclusion surveyed 630 women of all ages and socioeconomic status in New Delhi and Old Delhi, India. Ninety-five percent of the women said their mobility was restricted because of fear of male harassment in public places. Another 82 percent said the bus is the most unsafe mode of public transportation for them because of male harassers.
And cases like this one in Bangladesh are virtually unheard of in America: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10220920

See the story behind this movement. I'm definitely not against the movement itself, but some of its statistics and claims aren't reliable.
http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/about/

Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Sure, so long as you classify a man not holding a door open for some female to be "harassment".
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

The problem with 'sexual harassment' is that the definition has become far too ambiguous. In the Anglosphere, 'sexual harassment' has essentially become whatever the woman says it is - usually unwanted men (i.e - not degenerate scum or rich guys) approaching them and usually making non-sexual compliments (making sexual ones would probably be too risky).

Yemeni/Arab women have far more legitimate grounds for claiming such harassment. I can definitely understand why physical touching and lewd (sexual) comments would be unwelcome.

This whole study just seems to illustrate how Anglo women behave as professional victims regardless of whether it's necessary.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Northern California

Post by Falcon »

Now, let's see how dangerous the Bay Area really is for women:

Other than certain parts of San Francisco and Oakland, most of the California Bay Area is extremely safe, and predominantly made up of yuppies, tech geeks, and Asian immigrants. It's one of the richest, safest, cleanest, and most educated parts of the United States. Men in the Bay Area are very courteous, mostly keep to themselves, and are generally highly ambitious career people. I know this from personal experience.

Yet the Bay Area, which is the geek capital of the world, ranks top when it comes to women being harassed? More so than the most misogynist countries in the world?

Winston describes it in http://www.happierabroad.com/MyStory.htm :
Though there were many more girls at that university, generally they did not want to talk to you unless it was school or class related. Also, it was known as a commuter school, where people came and went back to their off-campus life at their convenience.

Plus, it was the mid-90's, and a new wave of man-hating feminism had began in this country, taking hold especially on the West Coast. Women now had the mentality that men were creeps by nature, and to be blamed for all their problems. This was reflected in the media and on day time talk shows as well. Suddenly, the women became more defensive and non-open to meeting men more than ever.

You see, back in the 80's and prior, American women were still relatively friendly and normal. But I was too young, shy and insecure to date them back then. Now that it was the 90's and I was willing and ready though, it was too late. The man-hating phase had begun. Women were now defensive, paranoid, and anti-social, often preferring to be alone or with pets than with men. It no longer mattered that I was no longer shy or that I could initiate conversation with them boldly.
And here is the wonderful chart again.

odbo
Veteran Poster

women in the bay area must see eye contact as harrassment

Post by odbo »

Falcon wrote:Image
I'm pretty sure Kearl (Kerl) is a Jewish-German name, and I'm 200% sure Holly Kearl is a lesbian.

You're telling me there's a Jewish lesbian feminist out there who makes big bucks making a problem out of nothing and further criminalizing men? :shock: I'm shocked.

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/about/ wrote:Her work has been featured by the United Nations, the New York City Council, BBC Magazine, CNN, New York Times, Washington Post, MSNBC, Salon.com, Feministing.com, Jezebel, Ms. magazine, Bust magazine, and Bitch magazine
:lol:

Dear Holly, I'm sorry your mother didn't love you. I'm sorry you turned out a hate-filled lesbian. I'm sorry you got indoctrinated at feminist college. I'm sorry your statistics are utter nonsense. All I can offer is the following fact.

Only ugly women fear harassment and rape. Any American man who's ever ventured out on the streets in the evening will testify to this. If a sexy young woman is jogging, nothing bothers her. When an old, fat cow (who hasn't been hit on in 20 years) is jogging, she seems to think everyone is out to rape her. I can remember being 14 or 15 and still getting all these creepy looks from 40 or 50 year old obese women jogging in spandex. Really? I mean really? These fat cows think we want a piece of them. It's all in your head ladies! Take a trip abroad and see how good you have it here in the west.

It's funny how these street harassment movements are popping up when at no point in modern history have so few people used their legs to walk places. Street harassment would imply there were actually people on the street.

Last edited by odbo on December 3rd, 2011, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Here's the real deal, my fellow Americans. What these women go through everyday is abhorrent. I have yet to see this happen in squeaky clean, prudish, suburban California.

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

DaRick wrote:The problem with 'sexual harassment' is that the definition has become far too ambiguous. In the Anglosphere, 'sexual harassment' has essentially become whatever the woman says it is - usually unwanted men (i.e - not degenerate scum or rich guys) approaching them and usually making non-sexual compliments (making sexual ones would probably be too risky).

Yemeni/Arab women have far more legitimate grounds for claiming such harassment. I can definitely understand why physical touching and lewd (sexual) comments would be unwelcome.

This whole study just seems to illustrate how Anglo women behave as professional victims regardless of whether it's necessary.
Bingo! What he said^
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Grunt wrote:Sure, so long as you classify a man not holding a door open for some female to be "harassment".
Or if you hold a door open for her, you're a creep for supposedly looking at, getting close to, and being interested in her.

No way out! :twisted: