Heading to Iceland & BeNeLux in Jan/Feb

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
adam917
Freshman Poster

Heading to Iceland & BeNeLux in Jan/Feb

Post by adam917 »

My first trip outside North America is one I'm expecting to be short (no more than 6 weeks total) but I still want to see stuff and check ladies out of course.

First stop is Iceland where I'll be in Reykjavik for only 3 days before heading to Amsterdam and The Hague, Netherlands for several weeks. I'd be staying in a hotel in the beginning (Amsterdam) and with a friend later on (The Hague). I'll have only about 2000 USD max to spend and the flight & hotel's already booked, but if I decide top stay beyond early February, I would have to pay a 275 USD change fee + whatever the difference would be for a new one-way fare to get back home from the Netherlands. I intend on having The Hague be my 'base' from late January and go to other places from there nearby. The basic sight-seeing isn't the problem but the minor stuff that usually comes up and isn't in the usual travel books & sites is.

I guess what complicates things the most is my lack of a lot of money to the point where I have to watch everything I spend. I hope I at least enjoy the trip. Has anyone on here been to either the Netherlands or Iceland for longer than a short visit? How did you like it?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Heading to Iceland & BeNeLux in Jan/Feb

Post by momopi »

adam917 wrote:My first trip outside North America is one I'm expecting to be short (no more than 6 weeks total) but I still want to see stuff and check ladies out of course.
First stop is Iceland where I'll be in Reykjavik for only 3 days before heading to Amsterdam and The Hague, Netherlands for several weeks. I'd be staying in a hotel in the beginning (Amsterdam) and with a friend later on (The Hague). I'll have only about 2000 USD max to spend and the flight & hotel's already booked, but if I decide top stay beyond early February, I would have to pay a 275 USD change fee + whatever the difference would be for a new one-way fare to get back home from the Netherlands. I intend on having The Hague be my 'base' from late January and go to other places from there nearby. The basic sight-seeing isn't the problem but the minor stuff that usually comes up and isn't in the usual travel books & sites is.
I guess what complicates things the most is my lack of a lot of money to the point where I have to watch everything I spend. I hope I at least enjoy the trip. Has anyone on here been to either the Netherlands or Iceland for longer than a short visit? How did you like it?
I was in the Netherlands for a week earlier this year. If you have some simple tourist related questions, I can probably help you. But I think there are members here who used to live there, so they'd be better qualified to answer your questions. Personally, I thought Amsterdam was a dump.

If you have more time than money, it's possible to save on hotel and travel expenses by taking the overnight buses. For example, the 7-hour overnight bus from the Hague to Paris departs around 11pm and arrives at 6am, and round trip tickets can be had for EUR 25 (look for super saver tickets). Bring a neck pillow and watch out for interesting looking people. ;)
http://www.eurolines.nl/eng/?lang=ENG

Since you're going to be in the area, it'd be a pity not to visit Paris and the museums. I'd suggest taking the bus there and staying for couple of days. Hotels are avail from EUR 60 and up, Hostels from EUR 18 and up, or check with couch surfing site and see if anyone can host you for a night or two. Bring a camera and take lots of pictures! I took 4,000 photos on my trip to Europe! Eat French pastry, Belgian chocolate, and Dutch cheese.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Momopi is spot on.

I found Amsterdam interesting and pretty clean actually. If you drink beer do the Heineken Experience (aka Tour) - http://www.heinekenexperience.com

I don't drink (they had Pepsi for non-beer drinkers). You get a decent basically a shot of beer mid way during the tour. At your final stop however they give you a free tall glass.

Its a cheap way to get a nice buzz if your into that sort of thing. I didn't get a chance to check out the night life in Amsterdam because I ran into two problems. That most of the clubbing during the week goes on in the residential areas of town, not downtown so much. I also couldn't find any specific information though I know somebody that lives there, I didn't know her until after I came back.

It pays to know a local anywhere.

Eurolines is very reasonable, that said, always check with the low cost airlines like Easy Jet, Ryan Air and Wizz Air. Ryan Air especially if you can fly on a Wed/Wed, you can go just about anywhere in Europe for only $80US RT.

At current exchange rates, your $2,000 is only worth about 1,500 Euro. If you budget correctly you can get 45 days out of that. Cheapest cities in Europe are Berlin and Prague.

Honestly, Amsterdam is only worth a day or so. You can do much of what most tourist do in about 24 hours, if you manage your time. You could also get a rail pass, though I sort of would pass on that, you need to figure out where you want to go and then figure out the best ways to get around.

I would assume you're using Icelandic Air, which will go to Reykjavik and then on to Western Europe. Its a good deal IMHO. I would also spend most of my time in Netherlands for two reasons; If I was into "Kush" or "P4P" then its a decent place to be for both. Outside of that, its not much different than other cites and quite a bit more expensive than some other places.

Have you checked out the Lonely Planet forums?
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

I have been giving consideration to moving to Iceland. I love the fact that they torched the bankers scams, and tossed some of them in jail, AND told the EU to go pound sand. Now their economy is rebounding and they are really cleaning house.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Grunt wrote:I have been giving consideration to moving to Iceland. I love the fact that they torched the bankers scams, and tossed some of them in jail, AND told the EU to go pound sand. Now their economy is rebounding and they are really cleaning house.
I'd love to live in Iceland, but it's VERY expensive, and not in the EU. How do you plan on pulling that off, unless you're independently wealthy (maybe you are...). Not challenging you; just curious, since I've been long fascinated with the place.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Grunt wrote:I have been giving consideration to moving to Iceland. I love the fact that they torched the bankers scams, and tossed some of them in jail, AND told the EU to go pound sand. Now their economy is rebounding and they are really cleaning house.
Even though you blatantly ignore me, I still respect your disposition of whom you are and how very well you contribute on this site. With that disclaimer out of the way, based on the aforementioned quote here, it really sounds good that Iceland is pulling together. However, aren't you worried about feminist women up there due to it's proximity to the rest of the Anglosphere???
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I forgot to mention, many museums in Paris have free visit days. So do your research ahead and plan accordingly.

Even at Versailles Palace, you can walk around to the back/side gate (if you are facing the palace, walk to the right and follow the road, ask for directions. If you see horses and sheep you are going in the right direction) and get in to the Palace gardens for free.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Think Different wrote:
I'd love to live in Iceland, but it's VERY expensive, and not in the EU. How do you plan on pulling that off, unless you're independently wealthy (maybe you are...). Not challenging you; just curious, since I've been long fascinated with the place.

I don't know, the financial crash there in late 2009 made housing prices drop like a rock. So assuming you can find a well paying job in Reykjavik (not sure you would want to live anywhere else), you should do okay there. Housing is usually your most expensive cost of living so being that housing is now affordable and a buyers market in Iceland this would be the time to move their if you want to go.

http://www.hgtv.com/house-hunters-inter ... index.html (Next Showing Dec 31st)

http://www.hgtv.com/house-hunters-inter ... index.html (Next Showing Jan 20th 2012)
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

E_Irizarry wrote:
Even though you blatantly ignore me, I still respect your disposition of whom you are and how very well you contribute on this site. With that disclaimer out of the way, based on the aforementioned quote here, it really sounds good that Iceland is pulling together. However, aren't you worried about feminist women up there due to it's proximity to the rest of the Anglosphere???
I look at it like this and again I would cover this later -

If your White you're likely to find any feminist movement a problem

If your Black, you're likely to get a pass for that as the women are much more interested in what in your pants (Sex) and what comes out of it (Seed, Children)
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

momopi wrote:I forgot to mention, many museums in Paris have free visit days. So do your research ahead and plan accordingly.

Even at Versailles Palace, you can walk around to the back/side gate (if you are facing the palace, walk to the right and follow the road, ask for directions. If you see horses and sheep you are going in the right direction) and get in to the Palace gardens for free.
Isn't that the place donated by the Rothchilds of France???
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

I am retired with pension, so additional income or work are optional. I would consider opening a small computer repair shop catering to Americans though.

I will also be bringing my Ukrainian wife with me as well. Iceland is still Western, and thus feminist. Icelandic females strike me as typical Nordic feminists, too pampered and spoiled to be worthy of marriage.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.