Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Postby lookin4happiness » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 pm ... y-of-needs

I was doing some volunteer work and at the training program they gave me a copy of old maslows hierarchy of needs and told me that many of the people I would be dealing with would have the basic "needs" met but wouldn't have some of the higher ones, and that I was to try and empower and help them with those things. It's really interesting because I feel like many of us westerners have the higher needs met but are still somehow missing out on the basic needs which are "lower" on the chart. So we go to the developing countries looking for those things, and they are sort of uncontent looking for the others from us. What do you think?
Freshman Poster

Postby Billy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:02 pm

That´s interesting. Food for thought. But anyway monks deal also with such problems. But why should somebody invest in the higher hierarchies when the lower ones are not satisfied?
Steoreotype of NA is that they are stuck with gaining money and material things. That is still very low.
Experienced Poster

Postby fschmidt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:22 pm

I think you should tell the women in your training program to give free sex to men who need it in order to fulfill their most basic needs.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:26 pm

What lower needs are we missing? You mean sex and love? Certainly not food and shelter needs. The developing countries are lacking money and opportunity. I guess that's a fair exchange - money for sex then. lol
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Site Admin

Postby jcris7 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Winston wrote:What lower needs are we missing? You mean sex and love? Certainly not food and shelter needs. The developing countries are lacking money and opportunity. I guess that's a fair exchange - money for sex then. lol

Selling is legal. f***ing is legal. Why isn't selling f***ing legal? - George Carlin
"Women age like milk; Men age like wine." - Tom Leykis
Freshman Poster

Postby GuitarGuy996 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

I just look a test on Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs for my Educational Psychology Class :)
Freshman Poster

Postby Banano » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:33 pm

"In his hierarchy of needs, Maslow called the bottom four levels “deficiency needs.â€￾ He claims that the lower needs, such as the need for food, safety, love and esteem are needs that humans cannot do without. A deficiency in any of these interferes with one’s psychological health and so one might react defensively, or at times, irrationally, from a place of weakness rather than strength. And so, consciously or unconsciously, one works to fill these needs – literally or symbolically. But it is important to note that Maslow viewed these as “needsâ€￾ and necessities. On the other hand, healthy people who have fulfilled these lower needs are able to act based on the desire to grow rather than being motivated by deficiencies. Simply put, their deficiencies do not determine their actions and instead, they are motivated by growth and fulfillment! It is from a position of psychological well-being that one is able to pursue what Maslow perceived as the universal human tendency to strive for growth, autonomy, identity and the excellence of self-actualization (Maslow, 1987, pp. 117-118)."

Nice pyramid, it kinda makes sense
I think 'Esteem' level would automatically get fulfilled if bottom 3 levels are satisfied?
Most people in the West struggle with friendship(don't count 1659 facebook friends they never met), family, sex/sexual intimacy(guys only)
Veteran Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:42 pm

That chart is BS. It includes employment as a lower need. NO ONE would work if everything was provided free. They would skip right to the top with creativity and spontaneity. People would surely DO things and create things, but only because they wanted to.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Experienced Poster

Postby zacb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Interesting. The way people talk, you would think you need self esteem before intimacy :D .
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System!
Experienced Poster

Return to General Discussions