A question for those who are married to a foreigner?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Great post, Ladislav. I agree with you.

At first, my parents were not happy at all when they found out that I had a girlfriend in Mexico. They said their opposition was for purely socioeconomic reasons, rather than cultural or ethnic. When I had taken a Taiwanese-American girl to prom back in high school, my parents were tremendously happy about it, congratulated me, and praised her good looks and intelligence. Even when I went out with an East Indian girl from a college-educated family, they were still quite positive. Plus, they didn't even flinch when my brother got upper-class Chinese-American girlfriends with trashy personalities. He later dumped all of them since he said they got too annoying. :?

So I kept at it, and now they don't seem to care very much about my having a sweetheart south of the border. I guess it's because the initial shock wore off.

But I'm sure they'd all be delighted if I were to hit on Cathy. :P

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

ladislav wrote:
Just curious how many others have run in to this blatent racism I have expirienced...
If you brought home Princess Diane would your friends and family be against such a FOREIGNER?

This is not racism, this is nationalism.

Now, if you marry someone from poorer or darker/other race countries or enemies of the US, then you will have a problem.
+1. But taken a step further, how many people would object if you brought home Beyonce? Very few people would say you cant date a black woman; they'd say she is rich famous and beautiful - way to go! But if you bring home a pretty girl from Africa, what reaction do you thnk you'll get?

So I agree, that it's more than just racism.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

ladislav wrote:
Just curious how many others have run in to this blatent racism I have expirienced...
If you brought home Princess Diane would your friends and family be against such a FOREIGNER?
Winston's Princess Diane or Princess Diana?
Capster78
Freshman Poster

Post by Capster78 »

ladislav wrote:

And economic at that. Say if you told your parents you were bringing home a Canadian girl or an Australian girl. Or a British or French or Swedish girl.

Or a Swiss girl. Watch the smiles, nods of approval and winks- right on man!

All those people listed above are foreigners, aren't they?

So why would most Americans approve or even encourage such unions? Because they are from countries which are as rich and which are white and which are not enemies of the US.

Now, if you marry someone from poorer or darker/other race countries or enemies of the US, then you will have a problem.

But before you start getting on your friends and hating American racism, keep it in perspective. Most countries are the same. No one likes poorer people, present or former enemies or those who are of a different religions or races that are seen as inferior. But the economic reasons are first and foremost.
It is still racism no matter how you color it. When you generalize a person in a negative manner based on their race, that is racism. I don't know any more of a clear cut explanation than that.
Married to a sweet Filipina girl an never looking back!
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

Capster78 wrote:
ladislav wrote:

And economic at that. Say if you told your parents you were bringing home a Canadian girl or an Australian girl. Or a British or French or Swedish girl.

Or a Swiss girl. Watch the smiles, nods of approval and winks- right on man!

All those people listed above are foreigners, aren't they?

So why would most Americans approve or even encourage such unions? Because they are from countries which are as rich and which are white and which are not enemies of the US.

But before you start getting on your friends and hating American racism, keep it in perspective. Most countries are the same. No one likes poorer people, present or former enemies or those who are of a different religions or races that are seen as inferior. But the economic reasons are first and foremost.
It is still racism no matter how you color it. When you generalize a person in a negative manner based on their race, that is racism. I don't know any more of a clear cut explanation than that.
It is clear cut, a brown haired white girl from Canada gets no reaction when a blond and blue from Russia is a green card whore. It not race that is the determinate factor. Just as Japanese can freely come to America while Filipinos line up at consulates to be turned down.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

The last time I was in Taiwan, I showed my prom picture to my relatives in Taipei. The girl was a really good-looking Taiwanese American. My mom said she was exceptionally beautiful by Taiwanese beauty standards. I had never realized that before she told me. :D

My relatives reacted very, very enthusiastically, although they didn't even care to know anything about her (most likely because they knew she's Taiwanese). Here's what they said.

哇,帥哥啊!長大了!那個女孩子好漂亮!給我們一張照片!以後帶她到台灣來看看我們!
(Dang, you look like a stud! All-grown up! That girl's so pretty, give us a picture! Next time take her to Taiwan to visit us!)

But I don't think they'd be so excited if I showed them a picture of me with a Latina girl not living in America! It's hard to predict what they might say, but they'll probably grill me intensely on who she is, what her background is, how compatible we are, how I'm going to stay together with her, and so on.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

It is clear cut, a brown haired white girl from Canada gets no reaction when a blond and blue from Russia is a green card whore. It not race that is the determinate factor. Just as Japanese can freely come to America while Filipinos line up at consulates to be turned down.
It is the GDP per capita.

Yes, Japanese and Singaporeans can come to the US with no visa, but those same Russians need to be standing in the rain at the US Embassy in Moscow waiting for an interview.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »