Going to Ethiopia (Africa) (Read my Decision)

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or the Middle East.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Going to Ethiopia (Africa) (Read my Decision)

Post by Fenix »

I have finally decided where I need to be. Even though I have had incredible responses from South Korea, Germany, Russia, Thailand, China, Japan and an undisclosed location in Asia, I have decided to go to Ethiopia. I have talked to greatness and I think is it the best? Why? This made me want to:

http://naughtynomad.com/2011/02/25/10-r ... -ethiopia/

^^^

It makes sense right? I will discuss why I chose this later when I get enough responses. Thanks guys!

:roll:
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Your joking, right?;-).

When will your trip start?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Going to Ethiopia (Africa) (Read my Decision)

Post by davewe »

PhxSosa wrote:I have finally decided where I need to be. Even though I have had incredible responses from South Korea, Germany, Russia, Thailand, China, Japan and an undisclosed location in Asia, I have decided to go to Ethiopia. I have talked to greatness and I think is it the best? Why? This made me want to:

http://naughtynomad.com/2011/02/25/10-r ... -ethiopia/

^^^

It makes sense right? I will discuss why I chose this later when I get enough responses. Thanks guys!

:roll:
I spent but one day in Addis Abbaba and would go back for a visit in a heartbeat. And yes the women are incredibly beautiful.

However I have no idea what its like to live there, if you are talking about living there.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

I was doing some research and came across some info that the Ethiopians you see there today migrated from India in the remote past. I have to track down some more sources to substantiate the claim.
Last edited by NorthAmericanguy on February 26th, 2012, 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ned Zeppelin
Freshman Poster

Post by Ned Zeppelin »

Not sure how atheism will be accepted there but it sounds like fun, good luck. Just don't get AIDs while your there.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

If I have to choose one country to visit in sub-Saharan Africa, it would definitely be Ethiopia.

Africa is not all about starving kids, AIDS, and failed states. The Western media never seems to show the positive sides of Africa. The culture is incredibly rich, and the people are incredibly open and friendly. They are nothing like Americans.

Orthodox Christianity has been in Ethiopia for as long as Catholicism in Europe, and Ethiopia was also one of the first countries to have Muslims. Religion in Ethiopia leans towards mysticism rather than dogmatic fanaticism. Its music, landscape, and religious traditions are strikingly reminiscent of Tibet.

Here is what Ethiopia is really like.

Orthodox Christian music

Since when does the Western media ever portray Africa like this?
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

Phoenix Sosa!

Hey, what happened to Denmark? :?:

Seriously, pm me IF you need any info on Ethiopian women and/or culture.

I work and talk quite a bit EVERYDAY at work to Ethiopian women and men. IN fact, my current work partner is an Ethiopian man. Great Guy!

I also know a bit about their culture, the different tribes, the weather, and their views on life. WHY do I know these things? Because I ask them countless questions!

MOST Ethiopian women, depending on the tribe, are attractive to my eyes and SOME of them are just absolutely beautiful. Every Ethiopian women I have met, so far, is a true lady.

IF I don't end up with a Filipina, then Ethiopian women are next on my list!

I WILL WARN you though! EVERY Ethiopian I have met, man or woman, is a Christian. IT is a big part of their lives.

:D
"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: "I am a wretchedly longstanding victim;therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition."

"It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised."
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

That's a big change of plan. Eithipia will involve a huge cultural learning curve if you wanna stay long term and feel at home to any degree. I spent just few days in Addis Ababa and got very bored. Its one of the least developed capitals I've seen and very lacking in western creature comforts. Its also relatively expensive for a short term tourist. Languge is a huge barrier, city is full of dirt roads, Internet is turtle slow, and girls you see out and about for the most part do not look like those photo model types you see in the pictures passed around. Food and entertainment options are quite limited. It is safer than most sub-saharan capitals though. Nairobi and Mombassa in neighboring Kenya are much more user friendly to the typical westerner.

If relocate there, its a long term project which will involve a challenging adjustment phase I believe. Perhaps you will find the girl of your dreams and take her to a more comforable environment.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Falcon wrote:If I have to choose one country to visit in sub-Saharan Africa, it would definitely be Ethiopia.

Africa is not all about starving kids, AIDS, and failed states. The Western media never seems to show the positive sides of Africa. The culture is incredibly rich, and the people are incredibly open and friendly. They are nothing like Americans.

Orthodox Christianity has been in Ethiopia for as long as Catholicism in Europe, and Ethiopia was also one of the first countries to have Muslims. Religion in Ethiopia leans towards mysticism rather than dogmatic fanaticism. Its music, landscape, and religious traditions are strikingly reminiscent of Tibet.
Lad has argued similar points too. But IMO, much of sub-saharan Africa (not talking about Ethiopia here) IS full of failed states, AIDs, and even some starving kids. Talk to foreighers who've lived there long term instead of just refering to the media. You can witness unimaginable cruelties and danger lurks almost everywhere. Its truly a dark continent. In many ways, Roman or Greek empires from thousands of years ago were probably more civilized than much of modern Africa. When you think of any kind of human misery - violence, disease, famine, exreme poverty, mas murder, wide spread corruption, ect. - you can find it in abundance in today's Africa.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

So, how are the girls? ;-). When the Filippina is a 4 then an etiopean chick would be maybe a 3.5 ;-)

Let´s get, low, low, low ;-)
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

And you little billy, would definitely be a ZERO! :)
"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: "I am a wretchedly longstanding victim;therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition."

"It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised."
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

How is the visa situation there?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Instead of deciding to relocate there, you should plan some exploratory visits. Jumping into a new culture and country all at once is a recipe for not only disappointment, but disaster.

Travel there, yes, but take your time and get to know what is what there before you choose it as your shangri la.

On another note, I thought you preferred European girls over African ones? Did you let the browbeaters shame you into choosing an African country?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Ned Zeppelin
Freshman Poster

Post by Ned Zeppelin »

I have heard that ethiopian women don't go for non-ethiopian men. Is this true?