Does money buy you happiness?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
smallcheese
Freshman Poster

Post by smallcheese »

djfourmoney wrote:
smallcheese wrote:Money buys you the freedom to do what you want, whenever you want it. Without answering to anyone else. For many men, that freedom IS happiness!
Freedom to be alone when your old? I guess...

What else do you wanna do when you climbed the highest mountain, surfed in dangerous waters and stood on the podium at the Le Mans 24hrs???

A ticket on Virgin Space Lines perhaps?
Money gives you the economic freedom to make any choice that you want without answering to or kowtowing to anyone else. Freedom to be alone? Yes, if that's what you want. Freedom to not be alone? You also have that choice. Just walk around any SM mall in the Philippines and you will see what even a small modicum of money can get you if you don't want to be alone. :)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

smallcheese wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
smallcheese wrote:Money buys you the freedom to do what you want, whenever you want it. Without answering to anyone else. For many men, that freedom IS happiness!

What else do you wanna do when you climbed the highest mountain, surfed in dangerous waters and stood on the podium at the Le Mans 24hrs???

Money gives you the economic freedom to make any choice that you want without answering to or kowtowing to anyone else. Freedom to be alone? Yes, if that's what you want. Freedom to not be alone? You also have that choice. Just walk around any SM mall in the Philippines and you will see what even a small modicum of money can get you if you don't want to be alone. :)
Bingo, being alone or being in company is a choice. Living in comfort vs scraping by is no longer an issue.

I disagree with djfourmoney, climbing either Mt Everett or Mt McKinley is not a goal for me. I can catch a glimpse of McKinley from a comfortable spot in Denali Park, at a 5 star lodge, w/o risking life & limb for the thrill of climbing the peak.

And until we have rockets, which can accelerate to some fraction of light speed, like ~0.1, I'm not all that interested in space travel either, since my only interest is in seeing the rings of Saturn & I don't intend to be cooped up for 3 years in a capsule, to do that w/ today's tech. When Zephram Cochrane develops his warp drive, then I'll be interested in space travel.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Banano wrote:Only 2 weeks off a year?
That sucks, I get 4 weeks with an option to buy another 4....which I always do of course.

8 weeks off should be standard,
I dont understand you guys should riot against lawmakers, so many guns you guys have and yet everyone lives in fear.

Thats insane 50 weeks you slave to get 2 weeks only
Occupy Wall St, underline themes is more time off, reduced workweek, free/low cost higher education, paid maternity leave and other social benefit enjoyed by Europeans, some South Americans and some Asians.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

That sucks, I get 4 weeks with an option to buy another 4....which I always do of course.

I dont understand you guys should riot against lawmakers, so many guns you guys have and yet everyone lives in fear.

Actually in the US, most non-professionals only get a week. I only got a week for years throughout my 20s and by the time I took the week off I was so exhausted I couldn't actually do anything fun.

In my 30s I owned a business which meant I had even less time off.

Now I get 4 weeks thank goodness which gives me the time and energy to travel a bit.

But you're all right. The reason that many don't travel abroad is that they don't have the time off to do it.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

davewe wrote: In my 30s I owned a business which meant I had even less time off.

I own a business and I believe it all depends on what kind of business you have. For example, if you own a cleaners, or a restaurant; you're not going to have a life and you will be chained to your business and work LONG hours.

However, if you run a online business, or a seasonal business such as a water ice shop, a ski shop, or a landscaping business, you can work really hard, for say, 10 months, then take off for a month or two towards the end of the season.

Either way, long hours will be needed in the beginning to get the business off the ground (5 years at least).
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

davewe wrote:

Actually in the US, most non-professionals only get a week. I only got a week for years throughout my 20s and by the time I took the week off I was so exhausted I couldn't actually do anything fun.

In my 30s I owned a business which meant I had even less time off.

Now I get 4 weeks thank goodness which gives me the time and energy to travel a bit.

But you're all right. The reason that many don't travel abroad is that they don't have the time off to do it.
I got one week after one year, two weeks after two years. After that to get your 3rd takes about 5-6 years in most jobs and to get your 4th takes 8-10 years.

When you start your own business depending on when it is, until it runs pretty much on auto-pilot not requiring you to be there much if not at all, then you can take as much time as you want. But in the first few years, you'll be putting in 10-12 hour days. Again this depends on what it is. If its warehouse, inside/outside sales, etc where there's a ton of paperwork, Government forms and the like, then yes it will hard to take a reasonable amount of time off because, if you don't do it, who does it?

Things like being a DJ, Truck Driver, even IT (Help Desk, Desktop Support) you can take time off when you want mostly. For DJ's low season is just after New Years, till about April/May when weddings start up again, if your that type of DJ. If your a Club DJ, then it depends on your workload. If you're doing clubs four/five nights a week and doing a radio spot, then its still largely up to you when to take time off. You just don't get paid time off per-say. Just like truck driving, if you don't pick up the loads, somebody else will. Usually with DJ's your appoint somebody to take over your gigs while your gone or even give up gigs for better ones and turn a friend onto your old gig.

Its just what you do in your own business that depends when, where and how often you take time off. Too many people think conventional business, selling something or providing a service. You can provide a service and still take a reasonable amount of time off. It just depends...
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

S_Parc wrote:
smallcheese wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:

Bingo, being alone or being in company is a choice. Living in comfort vs scraping by is no longer an issue.

I disagree with djfourmoney, climbing either Mt Everett or Mt McKinley is not a goal for me. I can catch a glimpse of McKinley from a comfortable spot in Denali Park, at a 5 star lodge, w/o risking life & limb for the thrill of climbing the peak.

And until we have rockets, which can accelerate to some fraction of light speed, like ~0.1, I'm not all that interested in space travel either, since my only interest is in seeing the rings of Saturn & I don't intend to be cooped up for 3 years in a capsule, to do that w/ today's tech. When Zephram Cochrane develops his warp drive, then I'll be interested in space travel.
Actually I was making a point. The point that some people have so much money they can actually burn up a couple of million and they wouldn't notice it missing.

Climbing the highest peak is human goal not so much about money, though most of the people that have attempted it, have to be rich or well funded to afford the logistics of it.

Racing in the American Le Mans Series can cost you easily $5-6 Million a season for largely no cash return. At least in NASCAR you can turn a profit if you're successful, not so much in Sports Cars and only in F1 if you win and often.

You can do ALOT on $100,000. Sure it doesn't go as far as it did in 1970, 1980, 1990 or even 2000. But its still more than twice the average income in America and given our high standard of living if you can avoid keeping up with the Jones and forsake opulence for more realistic selections for fixtures in your house and what's in your driveway, it goes much further. Also if you can avoid the pitfall of private schooling for your kids and spend the 3-4 years before they enter public school lobbying and protesting for long needed changes in our school system, then as I said, you can raise a family of four on a single income of $100,000.

If money is freedom, you can only have so much freedom in real terms, having a billion dollars doesn't increase that. It does however give you the immoral ability to change laws and regulations to benefit you directly or indirectly and that's why I generally frown on people that desire to have enough money to burn.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

djfourmoney wrote:Actually I was making a point. The point that some people have so much money they can actually burn up a couple of million and they wouldn't notice it missing.

Climbing the highest peak is human goal not so much about money, though most of the people that have attempted it, have to be rich or well funded to afford the logistics of it.

Racing in the American Le Mans Series can cost you easily $5-6 Million a season for largely no cash return. At least in NASCAR you can turn a profit if you're successful, not so much in Sports Cars and only in F1 if you win and often.

You can do ALOT on $100,000. Sure it doesn't go as far as it did in 1970, 1980, 1990 or even 2000. But its still more than twice the average income in America and given our high standard of living if you can avoid keeping up with the Jones and forsake opulence for more realistic selections for fixtures in your house and what's in your driveway, it goes much further. Also if you can avoid the pitfall of private schooling for your kids and spend the 3-4 years before they enter public school lobbying and protesting for long needed changes in our school system, then as I said, you can raise a family of four on a single income of $100,000.

If money is freedom, you can only have so much freedom in real terms, having a billion dollars doesn't increase that. It does however give you the immoral ability to change laws and regulations to benefit you directly or indirectly and that's why I generally frown on people that desire to have enough money to burn.
From my pov, living efficiently at $100K is exactly that, living efficiently. And being a practical person, I'm all for it.

But having flown the globe, with various clients posting the bills, I've come up with a slighter higher number, since 4(+) star hotel rooms (booked w/o extensively planning ahead) start at $180/night and flying business class, comes to $2K to $6K per flight. And then, not knowing the lay of the land, it's better to have regular taxi service (or a driver) than always renting a car.

So I've done it both ways, the frugal traveler vs the jet setting young executive. My preference is the latter, as I've seldom experienced the pain of being in the slop lounges at London/Heathrow but instead, have had showers/excellent meals in their business/executive lounges. Thus, in opposition to many travelers, I actually have some positive memories of Heathrow whereas everyone else I know, hates the place.

Also, I've been able to get certain classes at schools like Columbia, MIT, Stanford, paid for by companies. Well, say what you want, but I have no complaints about those units either, all of them starting at $4K per section. You can say that I could have brought the notes for a lot less or even done the free online stuff, and sure, I concur, but here, I've actually had the chance to correspond with experienced instructors in their areas of knowledge. And if I later want a masters degree, I have transferable credits to top tier schools.

As for the throw away experiences like flying in a Soviet MiG or the America's Cup, well, that's Larry Ellison's business and not mine. If he's happy, wasting gobs of money on being an adult teenager, well, that's his prerogative.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

Banano wrote:Does money buy you happiness?
Ah ha! I've been wanting to chime in on this topic for the past five weeks now. I couldn't find an earlier response that I had made on this topic, but after some digging around, I've found a reply that I had made on the AskMen dot com forums way back in December of 2008!
Can money buy happiness?
thread on AskMen.com
My response was as follows:

Can money buy happiness? Yes.
Can money buy companionship? No.

Too often, people relate "happiness" to having a spouse or "relationship", which in fact is a destructive way of thinking.
I blame the media, but people in modern society often affiliate "being single" to "loneliness" which they have been brainwashed into believing is a contrapositive to "happiness".
Thus the asinine idea in the weak peoples' minds that "being single" is a failure to which then leads to their own "unhappiness". Upon finding out that money does not buy companionship, these peoples remain "unhappy" with themselves. THESE are the unhappy rich/wealthy people that we see too often, however MONEY DID NOT CAUSE THAT.

Money can buy happiness. No doubt about it.
Money can NOT buy companionship... Embrace that, and happiness surely follows (if, and only if, you stop relying on "Ms. Right" for your own happiness).

This, of course, was just my personal opinion on the matter. It still is today.
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The Fascinating Scientific Reason Why "Money Doesn't Buy Happiness"
No matter how you turn it, research says once your basic needs are taken care of, money and other rewards don’t make you happier.

http://www.alternet.org/story/153887/th ... ppiness%22

Can Money Buy Happiness?
New research reveals that reminders of wealth impair our capacity to savor life's little pleasures

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -happiness
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Winston wrote:The Fascinating Scientific Reason Why "Money Doesn't Buy Happiness"
No matter how you turn it, research says once your basic needs are taken care of, money and other rewards don’t make you happier.

Can Money Buy Happiness?
New research reveals that reminders of wealth impair our capacity to savor life's little pleasures

Winston, GFE esc@rts are not a charity :wink:; they expect to be compensated for their efforts 8)
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

S_Parc wrote:
Winston wrote:The Fascinating Scientific Reason Why "Money Doesn't Buy Happiness"

Can Money Buy Happiness?

Winston, GFE esc@rts are not a charity :wink:; they expect to be compensated for their efforts 8)
+1
(Gratuitously bashing Winston is always worth a point.)