Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


I don't belong in an extroverted country

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Taco » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Winston wrote:I remember reading in books about the acting profession, that introverts were actually better actors than extroverts. Do any of you know why that might be?


Thats interesting.

I remember hearing Charlton Heston took up acting because he had a really lonely childhood and it helped him get a lot of his inner tension out.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm







Postby Winston » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:42 am

So if an extrovert is more concerned with the outer world than the inner world, would it follow then that extroverts tend to be more conformist? And introverts more nonconformist?

I guess an extrovert may have more friends, albeit superficial ones. However, the disadvantage is that when an extrovert's outer world falls apart, so does he/she, whereas an introvert has his own inner world to fall back on and is more detached from the outer world.

Is that true?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Voice of Reason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 am

Winston wrote:So if an extrovert is more concerned with the outer world than the inner world, would it follow then that extroverts tend to be more conformist? And introverts more nonconformist?


The inner focus of an introvert could allow them to reflect on things a lot more and form their own opinions, so yes I think that would make them less conformist. But their lack of external focus could also prevent them from being exposed to a wide variety of external ideas, which they could make use of in being a non-conformist with intelligent, critical thinking. Introverts can read books though, which exposes them to ideas.

Winston wrote:I guess an extrovert may have more friends, albeit superficial ones. However, the disadvantage is that when an extrovert's outer world falls apart, so does he/she, whereas an introvert has his own inner world to fall back on and is more detached from the outer world.

Is that true?


Yes, with the trade off being that the external world - which the introvert is constantly exposed to and has to constantly deal with - can be extremely stressful to the introvert
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 am
Location: Out of the West

The Inner Focus

Postby Voice of Reason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 am

Winston wrote:I remember reading in books about the acting profession, that introverts were actually better actors than extroverts. Do any of you know why that might be?


When someone plays the part of a character, they don't just act, they have to actually be that character. As en example, let's just say Robert De Niro as Al Capone, In The Untouchables. When Robert De Niro is shooting a scene, he is no longer Robert De Niro. He becomes Al Capone. He has to get inside Al Capones head, and think and feel like Al Capone.

In order to think and feel like a character, that requires you to change your inward focus. Since introvert are more concerned with the inner world than the outer world, then an introvert would, in theory be better at acting.

That's my take on it, anyway. Hopefully i explained it clearly.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 am
Location: Out of the West

Postby Winston » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am

Voice of Reason wrote:
Winston wrote:So if an extrovert is more concerned with the outer world than the inner world, would it follow then that extroverts tend to be more conformist? And introverts more nonconformist?


The inner focus of an introvert could allow them to reflect on things a lot more and form their own opinions, so yes I think that would make them less conformist. But their lack of external focus could also prevent them from being exposed to a wide variety of external ideas, which they could make use of in being a non-conformist with intelligent, critical thinking. Introverts can read books though, which exposes them to ideas.

Winston wrote:I guess an extrovert may have more friends, albeit superficial ones. However, the disadvantage is that when an extrovert's outer world falls apart, so does he/she, whereas an introvert has his own inner world to fall back on and is more detached from the outer world.

Is that true?


Yes, with the trade off being that the external world - which the introvert is constantly exposed to and has to constantly deal with - can be extremely stressful to the introvert


Well that makes sense. The external world can be an intrusion to an introvert's "inner world".

I guess that means most of us here, if not most, are probably introvert types, since we don't conform.

I used to think that introverts were just shy withdrawn people while extroverts were outgoing and fun-loving. I guess that's not exactly the case. I don't know how I got that impression though.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Voice of Reason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:15 am

Winston wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:
Winston wrote:So if an extrovert is more concerned with the outer world than the inner world, would it follow then that extroverts tend to be more conformist? And introverts more nonconformist?


The inner focus of an introvert could allow them to reflect on things a lot more and form their own opinions, so yes I think that would make them less conformist. But their lack of external focus could also prevent them from being exposed to a wide variety of external ideas, which they could make use of in being a non-conformist with intelligent, critical thinking. Introverts can read books though, which exposes them to ideas.

Winston wrote:I guess an extrovert may have more friends, albeit superficial ones. However, the disadvantage is that when an extrovert's outer world falls apart, so does he/she, whereas an introvert has his own inner world to fall back on and is more detached from the outer world.

Is that true?


Yes, with the trade off being that the external world - which the introvert is constantly exposed to and has to constantly deal with - can be extremely stressful to the introvert


Well that makes sense. The external world can be an intrusion to an introvert's "inner world".

I guess that means most of us here, if not most, are probably introvert types, since we don't conform.

I used to think that introverts were just shy withdrawn people while extroverts were outgoing and fun-loving. I guess that's not exactly the case. I don't know how I got that impression though.


Is it possible you simply got that impression from society in general, in which introversion is discussed as a bad trait to refer to "shy withdrawn people", by people who don't really know what it means. (and now you are thinking differently, and not conforming to that notion lol).
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 am
Location: Out of the West

Postby jamesbond » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:Is it possible you simply got that impression from society in general, in which introversion is discussed as a bad trait to refer to "shy withdrawn people", by people who don't really know what it means. (and now you are thinking differently, and not conforming to that notion lol).


It seems like being "outgoing" is a good trait to have in anglo-countries and being quiet is seen as a negative trait for some reason. People who are outgoing fit in more in anglo-countries, since the culture seems to be more geared towards "party animal" types and loud obnoxious types of people.

I don't get along with party animals very well, since I am not a loud and obnoxious person and I don't drink. I think I would do better in a more reserved country like Germany where being an introvert is seen as a good trait and being a loud and obnoxious party animal is seen as a negative trait. :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: USA

Postby OzGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm

jamesbond wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:Is it possible you simply got that impression from society in general, in which introversion is discussed as a bad trait to refer to "shy withdrawn people", by people who don't really know what it means. (and now you are thinking differently, and not conforming to that notion lol).


It seems like being "outgoing" is a good trait to have in anglo-countries and being quiet is seen as a negative trait for some reason. People who are outgoing fit in more in anglo-countries, since the culture seems to be more geared towards "party animal" types and loud obnoxious types of people.

I don't get along with party animals very well, since I am not a loud and obnoxious person and I don't drink. I think I would do better in a more reserved country like Germany where being an introvert is seen as a good trait and being a loud and obnoxious party animal is seen as a negative trait. :D


+1
OzGuy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:37 am

Postby E_Irizarry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Falcon wrote:To me, extroversion itself is not a problem.

Fake extroversion is the problem. People feel like they have to put on a superficial kind of extroversion because they are afraid to be left out as "weirdos" or "loners" if they do not do so. The extroversion you see in the U.S. and other Anglosphere countries feels highly scripted and meant to make impressions on others that they are "cool" people.

Mestizos in Mexico are very extroverted, but their kind of extroversion is down-to-earth, laid back, and genuine. It is not the scripted kind that is meant to make superficial impressions. They laugh because they easily laugh and want to laugh, not because they have an urge to post Facebook photos of themselves smiling in order to show the whole world how "cool" they are. Introverts and less talkative people there are also very well accepted - they are just seen as sterner rather than as weirdos or loners. Indigenous (Amerindian) Mexicans tend to be much more introverted and quiet than the mestizos though.

In the U.S., I have always felt left out as an introvert. In Mexico, I was quickly able to take on a laid-back, extroverted personality. :D When you travel abroad, you may unexpectedly find yourself suddenly popping out of your shell and becoming a different person. :)


Voy a estar de acuerdo con el chinito que se llama falcon del H.A. Jajajaa +1 Quiza yo deberia irme a Mexico para enterarse en como sea bueno el pais.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby Billy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

so this ist the reason why you guys don´t like me, because i am an extrovert :). so now i understand why you want to come to germany or sweden. yes in this respect i will say it would be a good choice.
though i am also a thinker from time to time i try to be more of an extrovert. maybe you guys read the study that they are happier. it feels not so good to feel disconnected. so let´s take some acting classes. so, what is your favourite speech?mine is from "a few good man" "you can´t handle the truth". :)
anyway, think about it extroverts can more easily make you laugh....
Billy
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 pm

...
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby Voice of Reason » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Perhaps neither introversion NOR extroversion is better. Maybe they balance each other out.

So instead of wanting to be in the country where one or the other is valued, it would be better to be in a country where BOTH are valued and accepted for the strengths that they both have.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 am
Location: Out of the West

Postby S_Parc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Carl Jung has a different perspective on this matter. It's that introverts defined themselves by their own inner processes, whereas extroverts are defined by others, in a group setting.

Well, if that's a good psychoanalytical basis then I'm basically an introvert who plays the game of being extroverted. In reality, until the rest of the world accept my perspective, then they can go f' themselves. I can play pretend and tell others to f' off whenever I like because all and all, I don't give a rat's @ss about what they think unless it makes sense to me.

This is partly why I like western society. It's like if I can tell others that I have a high GPA, make a good living, play sports, etc, then in effect, I've earned the right to tell others to f' off. I think being an introvert gets one closer to being an alpha male than some sort of 'Ryan Seacreast' extrovert, whose sole purpose is to look good in front of a bunch of cameras.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Postby Introvert » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:28 am

Introvert
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Disadvantages of being an extrovert

Postby Winston » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Another thing about extroverts is that they seem so soulless and empty inside (compared to an introvert), since they are totally focused on the outer world and have no inner world. Therefore, once their outer world falls apart or things go south on them, they will completely collapse because they have no inner world to fall back on. Examples of this are Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe.

Anyone notice that? That's the primary disadvantage of being an extrovert.

Another disadvantage is that they get bored easily if they don't have company or some party or social activity to go to. They simply have nothing to do without other people around, and can't entertain themselves. Man what a hollow existence.

Also, it's hard to have a deep conversation with an extrovert because they have nothing to say in these matters, because they only see surface practicalities and mundane things and are not focused on looking deeper.
Last edited by Winston on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests