DEA agents apologize for forgetting college student in cell

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

DEA agents apologize for forgetting college student in cell

Post by zboy1 »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/col ... 00359.html
The Drug Enforcement Administration extended an apology to a University of California engineering student who was locked in a holding cell for more than four days and forgotten about. The student drank his own urine in desperation and attempted to kill himself, before agents returned four days later and found him, he said in a news conference covered by NBC and other outlets.

"I am deeply troubled by the incident that occurred here last week," DEA San Diego Acting Special Agent in Charge William R. Sherman said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "I extend my deepest apologies the young man and want to express that this event is not indicative of the high standards that I hold my employees to. I have personally ordered an extensive review of our policies and procedures." An earlier statement from the San Diego DEA office was less contrite, with spokeswoman Amy Roderick saying that the student was caught in a drug raid because "he was at the house, by his own admission, to get high with his friends."

Daniel Chong, 24, said that he was taken to the local DEA office after he was caught in a drug raid where he was smoking marijuana on April 20. The agents didn't charge him criminally and even told him they would drive him home, but apparently forgot about him in a tiny holding cell, where he languished for days without food, water, or a bathroom. Chong says he finally gave up on screaming for help, and eventually tried to kill himself with the glass from his spectacles and drank his own urine, sure he would die there.

Hilarious...That's the wonderful U.S. government for you, LOL.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

It's a lucky thing that Mr. Chong didn't have diabetes, or he would be dead by now. I can see a massive lawsuit coming out of this one, and dollars to donuts, he'll win. Brought to you by the pointless War on Drugs(TM).
fuzzy_corleone
Freshman Poster

Post by fuzzy_corleone »

He should sue the government and used the reward money to build a mansion in South America where he can live with some young local girls.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

This is budget cuts in action, welcome to third world California. Where was the jailer? The jailer's job is to make sure people in have food and water, don't kill each other, attend to medical problems and generally watch over the prisoners.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

He drank his own urine...awesome.

To me the topic is that Americans are increasingly incompetent. They have no interest in doing their jobs. They can't be bothered to work. It seems retarded to think the agents did it on purpose, eventually it would get out and they would be screwed. So incompetence is the only explanation that makes sense.
ManInSiam
Freshman Poster

Post by ManInSiam »

delete
Last edited by ManInSiam on May 9th, 2012, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

Agree, attempted murder sounds about right. No excuses.