Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


N/A

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3129
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 12:09 am
Location: Los Angeles

Post by djfourmoney » July 8th, 2012, 1:34 am

eurobrat wrote:I have family that will drop in everyone and a while, and the agent is suppose to send pictures every 6 months.
You are doing it right. People tend to be cheap and don't want to hire Property Management companies to look after their rentals. They are bonded so, its not in their interest to not keep your up-to-date on the status of your property.




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3129
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 12:09 am
Location: Los Angeles

Post by djfourmoney » July 8th, 2012, 1:47 am

polya wrote:What a shame you've missed this summer in Europe! Winter is going to be cold. So you should start somewhere warmer like Spain or even the Southern Hemisphere.
I hope you've got family to look after your rental house - don't trust a lazy agent as they could let Ma & Pa Kettle move in and you'll come back to a shambles.
I have a great coat however, its no colder in Northern Europe than it is in Northeastern US (New England) and besides heavy socks, I didn't even wear long underwear. I was indoors most of the time (well truck cab) and never had the heater on overdrive, I drove without a the coat on. Even outside in Canada wasn't too bad, its when the WIND BLOWS that sucks. When the wind is calm I think just about anybody can handle cold weather, if property prepared for it.

I wanted to go in the summer (like last time) but so does everybody else, which rises the prices. Also the fact it takes at least six months to stack enough paper just donating plasma to come up with air fare and maybe enough money to stay a week wasn't appealing so I pushed it to Oct, but given the recent prices I have seen for travel after Jan 1st, I may not go until after Christmas and its the Southern region. Spain because of all its bad news has suffered in tourism and you can see it with airline prices.

Right now you can get RT ticket from LAX to Spain (Barcelona or Madrid) for $650... That said many industry experts predict favorable pricing to just about anywhere as they believe travel for Americans is likely to be down even more than last year or 2010.

This is why they are trying to make it up with baggage fees and fuel surcharges while keeping prices reasonable.

User avatar
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2364
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » July 8th, 2012, 10:00 pm

...
Last edited by eurobrat on May 21st, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Post by polya » July 8th, 2012, 10:57 pm

djfourmoney wrote:
polya wrote:What a shame you've missed this summer in Europe! Winter is going to be cold. So you should start somewhere warmer like Spain or even the Southern Hemisphere.
I hope you've got family to look after your rental house - don't trust a lazy agent as they could let Ma & Pa Kettle move in and you'll come back to a shambles.
I have a great coat however, its no colder in Northern Europe than it is in Northeastern US (New England) and besides heavy socks, I didn't even wear long underwear. I was indoors most of the time (well truck cab) and never had the heater on overdrive, I drove without a the coat on. Even outside in Canada wasn't too bad, its when the WIND BLOWS that sucks. When the wind is calm I think just about anybody can handle cold weather, if property prepared for it.

I wanted to go in the summer (like last time) but so does everybody else, which rises the prices. Also the fact it takes at least six months to stack enough paper just donating plasma to come up with air fare and maybe enough money to stay a week wasn't appealing so I pushed it to Oct, but given the recent prices I have seen for travel after Jan 1st, I may not go until after Christmas and its the Southern region. Spain because of all its bad news has suffered in tourism and you can see it with airline prices.

Right now you can get RT ticket from LAX to Spain (Barcelona or Madrid) for $650... That said many industry experts predict favorable pricing to just about anywhere as they believe travel for Americans is likely to be down even more than last year or 2010.

This is why they are trying to make it up with baggage fees and fuel surcharges while keeping prices reasonable.
I disagree! Winter is a terrible time to travel, it's totally worth spending the extra money to go in summer. E.g . In Moscow there's a nude beach called the "silver Forrest" where there's thousands of girls naked each weekend - so I'm not going to save a couple of hundred dollars and wait until winter. Not to mention the bars/clubs/streets are fill in summer, but empty of women in winter.

So for me a winter trip is a false economy & it maybe the reason why many guys write tales of woe on happierabroad about their holiday being a waste of time.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

User avatar
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2364
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » July 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm

polya wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
polya wrote:What a shame you've missed this summer in Europe! Winter is going to be cold. So you should start somewhere warmer like Spain or even the Southern Hemisphere.
I hope you've got family to look after your rental house - don't trust a lazy agent as they could let Ma & Pa Kettle move in and you'll come back to a shambles.
I have a great coat however, its no colder in Northern Europe than it is in Northeastern US (New England) and besides heavy socks, I didn't even wear long underwear. I was indoors most of the time (well truck cab) and never had the heater on overdrive, I drove without a the coat on. Even outside in Canada wasn't too bad, its when the WIND BLOWS that sucks. When the wind is calm I think just about anybody can handle cold weather, if property prepared for it.

I wanted to go in the summer (like last time) but so does everybody else, which rises the prices. Also the fact it takes at least six months to stack enough paper just donating plasma to come up with air fare and maybe enough money to stay a week wasn't appealing so I pushed it to Oct, but given the recent prices I have seen for travel after Jan 1st, I may not go until after Christmas and its the Southern region. Spain because of all its bad news has suffered in tourism and you can see it with airline prices.

Right now you can get RT ticket from LAX to Spain (Barcelona or Madrid) for $650... That said many industry experts predict favorable pricing to just about anywhere as they believe travel for Americans is likely to be down even more than last year or 2010.

This is why they are trying to make it up with baggage fees and fuel surcharges while keeping prices reasonable.
I disagree! Winter is a terrible time to travel, it's totally worth spending the extra money to go in summer. E.g . In Moscow there's a nude beach called the "silver Forrest" where there's thousands of girls naked each weekend - so I'm not going to save a couple of hundred dollars and wait until winter. Not to mention the bars/clubs/streets are fill in summer, but empty of women in winter.

So for me a winter trip is a false economy & it maybe the reason why many guys write tales of woe on happierabroad about their holiday being a waste of time.
I plan on spending a couple of years abroad teaching so this won't affect me.

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2709
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by xiongmao » July 9th, 2012, 8:43 am

The bag looks great. I think I'll try to travel light if/when I managed to convince myself I need to go live in Asia for a while. I figure all I'll need is a good portable computer, medicines that aren't easy to find in other countries and a few clothes. Anything else I'll buy. My uncle travels light, and he knows a guy who only takes a toothbrush when he goes abroad.

Europe is OK in winter (not Eastern Europe though) but bear in mind that Southern Europe has massive unemployment so good luck finding work there. Here in the UK we've had a Summer without a Summer thanks to some freaky weather changes.
I quit my boring cubicle slave job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Want to teach English overseas? Check out my TEFL blog.
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then join my free Asian dating site.

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Post by polya » July 9th, 2012, 10:16 am

xiongmao wrote:The bag looks great. I think I'll try to travel light if/when I managed to convince myself I need to go live in Asia for a while. I figure all I'll need is a good portable computer, medicines that aren't easy to find in other countries and a few clothes. Anything else I'll buy. My uncle travels light, and he knows a guy who only takes a toothbrush when he goes abroad.

Europe is OK in winter (not Eastern Europe though) but bear in mind that Southern Europe has massive unemployment so good luck finding work there. Here in the UK we've had a Summer without a Summer thanks to some freaky weather changes.
I disagree about travelling light! You definately need things like a cell phone + charger, ipod or burned copies of your favourite cd/dvds, formal clothes for work (suit, tie, dress shoes), warm jacket, swimwear + towel.... You'll fill up your baggage allowance easily - without things like important documents (birth certificate, criminal cleareance - at least 3 originals)....
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Post by polya » July 9th, 2012, 10:19 am

eurobrat wrote:
polya wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
polya wrote:What a shame you've missed this summer in Europe! Winter is going to be cold. So you should start somewhere warmer like Spain or even the Southern Hemisphere.
I hope you've got family to look after your rental house - don't trust a lazy agent as they could let Ma & Pa Kettle move in and you'll come back to a shambles.
I have a great coat however, its no colder in Northern Europe than it is in Northeastern US (New England) and besides heavy socks, I didn't even wear long underwear. I was indoors most of the time (well truck cab) and never had the heater on overdrive, I drove without a the coat on. Even outside in Canada wasn't too bad, its when the WIND BLOWS that sucks. When the wind is calm I think just about anybody can handle cold weather, if property prepared for it.

I wanted to go in the summer (like last time) but so does everybody else, which rises the prices. Also the fact it takes at least six months to stack enough paper just donating plasma to come up with air fare and maybe enough money to stay a week wasn't appealing so I pushed it to Oct, but given the recent prices I have seen for travel after Jan 1st, I may not go until after Christmas and its the Southern region. Spain because of all its bad news has suffered in tourism and you can see it with airline prices.

Right now you can get RT ticket from LAX to Spain (Barcelona or Madrid) for $650... That said many industry experts predict favorable pricing to just about anywhere as they believe travel for Americans is likely to be down even more than last year or 2010.

This is why they are trying to make it up with baggage fees and fuel surcharges while keeping prices reasonable.
I disagree! Winter is a terrible time to travel, it's totally worth spending the extra money to go in summer. E.g . In Moscow there's a nude beach called the "silver Forrest" where there's thousands of girls naked each weekend - so I'm not going to save a couple of hundred dollars and wait until winter. Not to mention the bars/clubs/streets are fill in summer, but empty of women in winter.

So for me a winter trip is a false economy & it maybe the reason why many guys write tales of woe on happierabroad about their holiday being a waste of time.
I plan on spending a couple of years abroad teaching so this won't affect me.
I think plans can change - are you over 28 years? If so you'll have a lot of paperwork to file to get working visas. You might not like your new city/country & want to leave, have you got enough money to live on? Do you know how to answer immigration questions (e.g. do you have tickets home -> YES; Do you have criminal convictions? -> NO....)
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

User avatar
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2364
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » July 9th, 2012, 11:57 am

...
Last edited by eurobrat on May 21st, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2364
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » July 9th, 2012, 12:00 pm

....
Last edited by eurobrat on May 21st, 2013, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Post by polya » July 10th, 2012, 12:57 am

eurobrat wrote:
polya wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
polya wrote:
djfourmoney wrote: I have a great coat however, its no colder in Northern Europe than it is in Northeastern US (New England) and besides heavy socks, I didn't even wear long underwear. I was indoors most of the time (well truck cab) and never had the heater on overdrive, I drove without a the coat on. Even outside in Canada wasn't too bad, its when the WIND BLOWS that sucks. When the wind is calm I think just about anybody can handle cold weather, if property prepared for it.

I wanted to go in the summer (like last time) but so does everybody else, which rises the prices. Also the fact it takes at least six months to stack enough paper just donating plasma to come up with air fare and maybe enough money to stay a week wasn't appealing so I pushed it to Oct, but given the recent prices I have seen for travel after Jan 1st, I may not go until after Christmas and its the Southern region. Spain because of all its bad news has suffered in tourism and you can see it with airline prices.

Right now you can get RT ticket from LAX to Spain (Barcelona or Madrid) for $650... That said many industry experts predict favorable pricing to just about anywhere as they believe travel for Americans is likely to be down even more than last year or 2010.

This is why they are trying to make it up with baggage fees and fuel surcharges while keeping prices reasonable.
I disagree! Winter is a terrible time to travel, it's totally worth spending the extra money to go in summer. E.g . In Moscow there's a nude beach called the "silver Forrest" where there's thousands of girls naked each weekend - so I'm not going to save a couple of hundred dollars and wait until winter. Not to mention the bars/clubs/streets are fill in summer, but empty of women in winter.

So for me a winter trip is a false economy & it maybe the reason why many guys write tales of woe on happierabroad about their holiday being a waste of time.
I plan on spending a couple of years abroad teaching so this won't affect me.
I think plans can change - are you over 28 years? If so you'll have a lot of paperwork to file to get working visas. You might not like your new city/country & want to leave, have you got enough money to live on? Do you know how to answer immigration questions (e.g. do you have tickets home -> YES; Do you have criminal convictions? -> NO....)
Why 28?
Because we're talking about an american man going to the EU. He needs a working visa & age is critical. If he's an EU citizen, he can just go without a visa, but he's not. You guys are going to HAVE TO research visas and the VERY STRICT requirements or you'll land in a heap of trouble overseas.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

User avatar
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2364
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » July 10th, 2012, 2:15 am

...
Last edited by eurobrat on May 21st, 2013, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Re: I ordered my expat bag.

Post by polya » July 16th, 2012, 9:53 am

eurobrat wrote:Image
I think all the pockets are a disadvantage as you'll need many little padlocks so airline staff can't open the zips & take your stuff in the baggage area. Also, you'll have to pay to wrap up the bag in cling-film all the time if you don't have many padlocks. I went all around Europe with a large suitcase I paid $10 for from Wal Mart. I also brought a trolley so I could carry my $10 bag on public transport to my hotel. It lasted my whole trip & managed to hold over 30ks of my stuff on the way home, so I'm sure your bag will do just as well. I think you will ruin your wheels if you fill up the bag with heavy stuff, but hopefully not.
Last edited by polya on July 16th, 2012, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Post by polya » July 16th, 2012, 9:58 am

eurobrat wrote:
polya wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
polya wrote:
eurobrat wrote: I plan on spending a couple of years abroad teaching so this won't affect me.
I think plans can change - are you over 28 years? If so you'll have a lot of paperwork to file to get working visas. You might not like your new city/country & want to leave, have you got enough money to live on? Do you know how to answer immigration questions (e.g. do you have tickets home -> YES; Do you have criminal convictions? -> NO....)
Why 28?
Because we're talking about an american man going to the EU. He needs a working visa & age is critical. If he's an EU citizen, he can just go without a visa, but he's not. You guys are going to HAVE TO research visas and the VERY STRICT requirements or you'll land in a heap of trouble overseas.
Dude I have a f***ing passport. A full blown passport, I spent $8k on getting my Italian passport but unlike most most guys they don't have jack shit. And no I don't speak Italian.

Go ahead and put me in the same boat as them :D

Have you ever seen a picture of me, every time I'm in Italy people are coming up to me asking me for something.

And no I don't look like an Italian taxi cab driver.
Yes, I've since read your thread on how you discovered happyabroad & read about how the Italian Embassy accepted your application after you brought your amazingly priced apartment. I feel bad for you about all the trouble you've had with AW & I hope your dreams come true overseas. It sounds like you have made excellent preparations for your trip. The only problem I see if you seem to want to teach English - you will not make enough money to live on doing this, but hopefully you'll find some better job over there. All the best!
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

User avatar
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2364
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » July 16th, 2012, 2:36 pm

...
Last edited by eurobrat on May 21st, 2013, 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussions”