Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Best place for someone who doesn't drive?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Best place for someone who doesn't drive?

Postby FlyingMoose » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:38 am

I have discussed this in a previous topic, but I have come to the conclusion that this is probably my most important criteria.

I am unable to drive because I have a genetic neurological vision problem. Probably because of this, I also have a poor sense of direction.

My current thinking is Cebu, since I've read that there are a lot of cabs there, and the drivers are more honest and less likely to overcharge foreigners, and they also have real cars instead of trikes.

Are there any other destinations that people here can suggest? (either where I could use public transit, taxis, or hire a personal driver for a reasonable price)

As you can guess, I do very poorly in America, because American women think I'm some kind of freak for being unable to drive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster

Re: Best place for someone who doesn't drive?

Postby OutWest » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:35 am

FlyingMoose wrote:I have discussed this in a previous topic, but I have come to the conclusion that this is probably my most important criteria.

I am unable to drive because I have a genetic neurological vision problem. Probably because of this, I also have a poor sense of direction.

My current thinking is Cebu, since I've read that there are a lot of cabs there, and the drivers are more honest and less likely to overcharge foreigners, and they also have real cars instead of trikes.

Are there any other destinations that people here can suggest? (either where I could use public transit, taxis, or hire a personal driver for a reasonable price)

As you can guess, I do very poorly in America, because American women think I'm some kind of freak for being unable to drive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I don't know if you are already in the Philippines- that is another topic, but I would NOT advise Cebu for the cabs at all! Never! I go there all the time, and honest cab drivers is NOT what Cebu is about, belive me, they are just a smaller version of Manila cab bandits.
If you want more honest drivers, go to Cagayan de Oro- far better! Cabs in Cebu vs cabs down in Cagayan de Oro are very different- it has to do with the city admin for taxi licenses. Ask a cabbie in CDO and they will tell you, "Mayor Emano is very strict!".
Sure, you could be cheated in CDO, but normally the cabbie will just hit the meter and away you go. If you are living there, when you find some good cabbies, get their cell numbers and keep 5 or 6 numbers in your phone for when you want a longer ride or part of a day or something like that.

In Cebu, expect a large percentage of drivers to tell you the meter is broken or take the very long route around, typical Manila BS.

Outwest
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Postby FlyingMoose » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not currently in the Philippines, I've only been to Angeles a couple of times.
FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster

Postby Taco » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:01 am

I've never had a problem with being overcharged by taxis in Cebu, just make sure their meter is running. However, trikes try to overcharge me all the time, just ask them how much before you get in, they usually have a 8 peso minimum. You can take a paper and pen with you and write down the drivers name and taxis number, his ID card is usually visible, then threaten to report him if he tries anything stupid. Its illegal to overcharge customers so the taxi driver or trike driver will usually back down.

In China, taxis, rip off more foreigners than anything else. That explains why there's a steel cage surrounding the drivers seat in Chinese taxis. Foreigners, don't take kindly to being overcharged.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:06 am

Only in the USA do you need to drive everywhere. I've never owned a car.

China is OK, bigger cities have metros and outside a metro are various types of transport for hire in the unlikely event that you want to go somewhere not within walking distance.

I've never been overcharged in a Chinese taxi. The bigger problem has been that unlike in the UK a taxi driver isn't obliged to take you anywhere - often they won't take you if the journey isn't long enough or the just don't want to go there.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby FlyingMoose » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 am

xiongmao wrote:I've never been overcharged in a Chinese taxi. The bigger problem has been that unlike in the UK a taxi driver isn't obliged to take you anywhere - often they won't take you if the journey isn't long enough or the just don't want to go there.

Are you Asian? Judging by your name, it seems like you might be, and thus they might not see you as a foreigner...
FlyingMoose
Freshman Poster

Return to General Discussions