Grunge Rock

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
coyoteslim
Freshman Poster

Grunge Rock

Post by coyoteslim »

so ive been reading about layne staley lead singer of alice in chains...he ended up dying of an overdose around 1999 his father was an addict and they didnt have a relationship growing up.this got me to thinking about the whole "grunge' movement of the early 90's and the fact that all the major bands of that time NIRVANA,PEARL JAM,ALICE IN CHAINS had singer songwriters who had no male role model in the home.kurt cobain-parents divorced when he was young lived with his aunt.eddie vedder-found out in his teens the man who raised him was not his real father,his mother had lied to him thru out his childhood about this,and as i mentioned layne staley grew up fatherless.now before grunge the rock scene was dominated by the good times, bitches, and beer type bands...guns n roses motley crue etc...thier motto was simple-sex drugs n rock n roll.grunge was dark and mopey navel grazing and depressing.a whole generation grew up listening to this (i know i did and still do).on another thread some one ask when did women change? i dont know but i think that the early 90s and grunge is a clear sign of the effects on fatherless boys and how it effects thier outlook on life.maybe the 90s was when everything started going down hill.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

I have a bit more of a positive look on grunge, as a I saw it as more a mainstreaming of punk-to-hard rock type of music. Ultimately, music is about expression and those were the times for that vs today, where everything is corporate managed.

Thus, I didn't see the Seattle crowd: Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC, Pearl Jam as too dissimilar to let's say Jane's Addiction, The Offspring, Chili Peppers, Matchbox 20, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, and other bands of the 90s. Realize, Seattle gets little sunlight and it rains for 2/3 of the year and thus, I can only imagine it, as being the nadir of upbeat music. Also, throughout this era, Metallica w/ 'Justice' and 'The Black Album', were dominant CDs of their era.

I was more dismayed, circa 1998, when little new original material started coming out.
polya
Junior Poster

Re: Grunge Rock

Post by polya »

coyoteslim wrote:so ive been reading about layne staley lead singer of alice in chains...he ended up dying of an overdose around 1999 his father was an addict and they didnt have a relationship growing up.this got me to thinking about the whole "grunge' movement of the early 90's and the fact that all the major bands of that time NIRVANA,PEARL JAM,ALICE IN CHAINS had singer songwriters who had no male role model in the home.kurt cobain-parents divorced when he was young lived with his aunt.eddie vedder-found out in his teens the man who raised him was not his real father,his mother had lied to him thru out his childhood about this,and as i mentioned layne staley grew up fatherless.now before grunge the rock scene was dominated by the good times, bitches, and beer type bands...guns n roses motley crue etc...thier motto was simple-sex drugs n rock n roll.grunge was dark and mopey navel grazing and depressing.a whole generation grew up listening to this (i know i did and still do).on another thread some one ask when did women change? i dont know but i think that the early 90s and grunge is a clear sign of the effects on fatherless boys and how it effects thier outlook on life.maybe the 90s was when everything started going down hill.
I just wish I was old enough to remember the 1990s.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
coyoteslim
Freshman Poster

Post by coyoteslim »

i didnt mean to imply i didnt like grunge i did and still do.i just meant this was when the results of broken homes could clearly be heard in mainstream music ,generation x was when when gloom set in etc...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Grunge music (before it becoming commercialized in the mid-late 90s) was great to listen to. I liked Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and Alice in Chains. 90's music started to suck when the boy bands (NSYNC, BackstreetBoys) and girl groups (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera) started to become produced in masse during the late 90s. Early to mid 90s had a pretty good variety too of music too including rap (before it turned into gangsta rap), britpop, house and dance music, and soul. Today, I can't stand to listen to the music anymore without gritting my teeth and turning off the radio except for some really genuinely talented performers like Adele and Lupe Fiasco, otherwise I listen to the music from the 70-90s.
Last edited by zboy1 on September 11th, 2012, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

coyoteslim wrote:i didnt mean to imply i didnt like grunge i did and still do.i just meant this was when the results of broken homes could clearly be heard in mainstream music ,generation x was when when gloom set in etc...
The excesses of the 80s resulted in the problems that started creeping up during the 90s; but compared to today, I'd much rather have lived in the prosperous 90s than the gloomy times of present. It seems like as every decade goes by, the U.S. keeps getting worse and worse unfortunately.