Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

22 Ways Winston Failed to Understand Asian Culture

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

22 Ways Winston Failed to Understand Asian Culture

Postby celery2010 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 pm

I believe that Winston’s failure in Taiwan is due to his failure to understand/appreciate Asian culture. I thoroughly believe that if Winston had a twin brother who was very Asian/Taiwanese in culture, that the twin would have found many women to date in Taiwan.

Winston’s Twin Brother:

As stated previously by Winston, every single day he sees geeky/unattractive guys with attractive, cute women. So where does Winston fail? Why does he continue to fail?

1. Winston does not understand Asian/Taiwanese culture.
He has even stated this himself that he feels that he does not belong.

2. Winston is a Banana.
Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

3. Let’s repeat. A guy who looks like Winston CAN get dates and a girlfriend in Taiwan.
Here is the link again: http://www.chinasmack.com/2009/pictures ... riend.html

4. Even geeky FOBS do better than Winston Image

What would a fellow Taiwanese-American guy/FOB have done in contrast to Winston?

1. No male friends (local).
Benefits: Get out of the house more, get invited to social events, learn more about local culture and what local girls want

2. No knowledge of asian/local culture
Has never heard of or watched “fated to love youâ€￾, it’s like living in the US and never having seen The Matrix or Seinfeld or something

3. Image
No coed social circles/events-
Does not attend coed group dinners, hanging out at the café, movie outings, sports events or parties

4. No female friends.
OK, a few female friends, but does not use his female friends to meet other new women. Female friends could fall for him over time.

5. No chance to meet girls in natural situations.
This means situations that ARE NOT STREET APPROACHES. The worst way to meet women in Taiwan.

6. No snowballing effect
get invited to a wedding or get invited to great parties. Or multiple meetings with a girl where they can get to know you.

7. Does not attend local social events
hiking trips, travel with other coed Taiwanese groups to Kenting, events where romantic connections are made

8. Image

Winston dresses poorly and does not incorporate Asian style.

Most Taiwanese guys are much better dressed than Winston.
This guy actually looks like Winston:

9. Does not have a good, stylish haircut.

Good link for hundreds of asian men’s haircuts:
http://coolmenshair.com/category/asian-hairstyles

10. Does not try to find friends/girls based on common interests
ex. hiking, surfing, music, travel, language, mountain climbing, artistic types who live in Dulan,

11. No chance to get introduced to new women.
Could tell all his good male and female friends that he is seeking a gf. Good friends will try to help him out, introduce him to new women even give him advice during the dating process and help with communication with the girl if something goes wrong

12. Does not go out constantly/is anti social in Taiwan

13. Does not make use of a local Taiwanese wingwoman, wingman.
A good wingman could talk up how good a person he is, how interesting he is , his accomplishments, etc. Good local wingwoman /wingman could approach and open random local women for him

14. Does not belong to major group/organization

https://www.facebook.com/seoul.in.sing/photos
Look at this group. It has had two meetings, each with 10-15 girls each. Both meetings only had one guy show up. You could easily have 10+ women drooling over you for 3-5 hours, get their numbers, become friends, have them introduce your to their other female friends, go on dates, went shopping together, hit the cafes etc.

http://www.tainanbulletin.com/
Activity board in Tainan. Girls looking to do language exchange.

15. Does not belong to a church
Taiwanese church girls- pretty hot, huh?

16. Does not keep trying to woo a single girl

17. Also misses opportunities to potentially meet women who “dislikeâ€￾ Taiwan and or Taiwanese men .
for whom guys like Winston offer a different kind of guy or life in a different kind of society

18. Women are turned off by his “banana-nessâ€￾

19. Women are turned off by his lack of knowledge of asian/local culture

20. Women believe that they lack common ground with Winston

21. Women turned off by his lack of friends/antisocial nature

22. Women turned off by his emphasis on shallow attractive babes instead of common asian values and romantic love women get from watching soap operas

23. Finally, any guy who was having extensive trouble in Taiwan would have known long ago to shift gears and go to China/Vietnam, etc. Heck, this is what local Taiwanese guys with poor prospects do.

(22. Lives in Chiayi, a small town with reduced prospects for meeting people/women)

(23. Winston does not do language exchange, probably THE EASIEST WAY to meet potential women, since you must spend time with them, get to know them in order to get effective language practice.)

Other Asian-American guys:

1. Huge social circles- lots of local friends. Most asian people love to include “differentâ€￾

2. Again introducing these two VERY POPULAR Japanese dramas where ugly, unattractive, undesirable guys get beautiful women.
Densha Otoko
101st Marriage Proposal

Most “overseas Asiansâ€￾ are often known locally as “huge playersâ€￾!! Winston, by contrast is the opposite.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:51 am

Where is "Dulan" in Taiwan ??
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Falcon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:35 am

Even though I adamantly refuse to look like a Mandopop pretty boy with bed hair, as some Chinese girls have suggested me to do so, I still do well with Chinese women. As in being able to socialize with them very well, their being at least a bit attracted to me, and so on.

Not being a "banana" or "Asian pocho" is especially important.

And maybe Dulan is a mistransliteration of Yilan?
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Let's look at what Winston has in TW:

* Car (not limited by public transportation & taxi's)
* House (parents are away overseas)
* Money (not wealthy, but can afford to take a girl to places)
* Time (passive income does not require 8 hour job)

In comparison, when the rest of us 1.5 gen goes back to TW to visit:

* Have no car and restricted by public transportation, taxi, or the GF's parents acting as drivers & chauffeurs
* Staying at parents or relative's house, cannot bring girl home to stay overnight
* On 2-4 week vacation from work and must return to States
* Have to take GF on trip elsewhere & rent hotel room to get privacy

When I first started dating girls in TW, the girl's parents took us to places because I had no car and I was the "guest". Even if we went out by ourselves, at night she went back home to her parents, and I went back home to my parent's house. After 2 trips over 6 or 7 month span her parent suggested that I should take the daughter on a weekend trip somewhere so that we could get to know each other better. The fact that her parents had to make the suggestion was an embarrassment on my part, because I should have been the one to suggest it and request permission from her parents. None of the GF's I've had in TW were virgins. If you think the girl is prudish, it's probably because you're on the "out".

From my perspective, Winston has a car and can take girls to places, has his own place to take girls back to with privacy, and is not constrained by work-vacation days. He has all this time and opportunity to go out and meet people. So what if he's in Chayi? Alishan is in Chayi and many people arrive to go backpacking, sakura blossom & firefly watching:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfKIYdvFFQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrNTOM_8kI8&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2iU_W0gf-Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7-SehxyLM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRboAzEQisM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3oV3Frofw&feature=related[/youtube]
Last edited by momopi on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Falcon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:49 pm

momopi wrote:After 2 trips over 6 or 7 month span her parent suggested that I should take the daughter on a weekend trip somewhere so that we could get to know each other better. The fact that her parents had to make the suggestion was am embarrassment on my part, because I should have been the one to suggest it and request permission from her parents.

I remember a few times when Taiwanese and even Filipino and Mexican parents had told me, "My daughter would LOVE to get to know you!" :P
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Postby Jester » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 pm

momopi wrote:Let's look at what Winston has in TW:

* Car (not limited by public transportation & taxi's)
* House (parents are away overseas)
* Money (not wealthy, but can afford to take a girl to places)
* Time (passive income does not require 8 hour job)

In comparison, when the rest of us 1.5 gen goes back to TW to visit:

* Have no car and restricted by public transportation, taxi, or the GF's parents acting as drivers & chauffeurs
* Staying at parents or relative's house, cannot bring girl home to stay overnight
* On 2-4 week vacation from work and must return to States
* Have to take GF on trip elsewhere & rent hotel room to get privacy

When I first started dating girls in TW, the girl's parents took us to places because I had no car and I was the "guest". Even if we went out by ourselves, at night she went back home to her parents, and I went back home to my parent's house. After 2 trips over 6 or 7 month span her parent suggested that I should take the daughter on a weekend trip somewhere so that we could get to know each other better. The fact that her parents had to make the suggestion was am embarrassment on my part, because I should have been the one to suggest it and request permission from her parents. None of the GF's I've had in TW were virgins. If you think the girl is prudish, it's probably because you're on the "out".

From my perspective, Winston has a car and can take girls to places, has his own place to take girls back to with privacy, and is not constrained by work-vacation days. He has all this time and opportunity to go out and meet people. So what if he's in Chayi? Alishan is in Chayi and many people arrive to go backpacking, sakura blossom & firefly watching:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfKIYdvFFQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrNTOM_8kI8&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2iU_W0gf-Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7-SehxyLM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRboAzEQisM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3oV3Frofw&feature=related[/youtube]

Beautiful videos. Very romantic. In fact, if I were a chick, and Winston took me to all those places, hell, I'd do him!!
:lol:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Meet The Parents!!

Postby Jester » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Falcon wrote:
momopi wrote:After 2 trips over 6 or 7 month span her parent suggested that I should take the daughter on a weekend trip somewhere so that we could get to know each other better. The fact that her parents had to make the suggestion was am embarrassment on my part, because I should have been the one to suggest it and request permission from her parents.

I remember a few times when Taiwanese and even Filipino and Mexican parents had told me, "My daughter would LOVE to get to know you!" :P

Clearly Winston needs to start meeting the parents!!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby eurobrat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Sat May 25, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby All_That_Is_Man » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:24 am

Jester wrote:Beautiful videos. Very romantic. In fact, if I were a chick, and Winston took me to all those places, hell, I'd do him!!
:lol:

LMFAAAOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jester, this is the funniest sh:t you have ever said! :lol:
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Postby Naoki » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 am

eurobrat wrote:Where is Winston?

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14853&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
He must be hiding somewhere in his mama's basement thinking how to debate this thread.
Naoki
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 am

Winston has disappeared! Did he not even notice GoDaddy going down last night?

The beautiful Asian men in this thread are OK, but does that girl know how high maintenence that man in the green t shirt is going to be????
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby patrick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 am

if you're an open minded person, living in NE Asia is not easy. There's constant peer pressure, not only from your family, friends but from society in general.
There's always this competition and comparison who wears the nicest clothes, has the most money, the highest salary etc.
I would like to see how all of you would turn out after living over there a few years. Maybe the same as Winston, or, you're also someone who has the same nature/motivation as the rest of the population over there and will extremely like it.
patrick
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

What a strange but entertaining post.

But only half of what you say is true.

First, I do not have trouble understanding Asian culture. I understand it on the surface, but I don't resonate with it. My soul is not Asian. I do not act meek and humble. Look how arrogant I act and sound on here, is that how Asian men in Asia act? LOL. Thus I obviously do not fit in.

Asian culture is not about individualism, it's about groups. This means a person is nothing without a group. There is no concept of an individual or loner with a rich inner life who doesn't need others. A loner in Asia is empty and depressed.

Second, most Taiwanese guys do not dress better than me. You are comparing me with pop stars and celebrities. If you come to Chiayi, you will see that most guys here look like hicks, and dress way below me.

I'm happy with my dress and it makes me feel confident. I'm not going to dress like someone else I'm not.

Some women like and appreciate my confidence and freespirit vibe. There is a Chinese woman here (whom is now friends with Rock too) that I'm seeing who is drawn to me because of my freespirit nature, which is unusual and rare here, but she's not my type physically.

You misunderstand something. I have ways of meeting people here, but so what? What good is meeting another 100 or 500 people? The net result is still the same: They will all flake or remain platonic. If they like me, then they won't be my type. That's my fortune. Remember, Murphy's Law rules my life, not karma or statistics. Rock can even attest to that. Meeting more people is not going to change Murphy's Law. In fact, if you read my journals in Russia, I said the same thing years ago, that after meeting 500 women in Russia, the ONLY woman that wanted to sleep with me, was the ONLY one that I wasn't attracted to! What could be a stronger case for Murphy's Law than that?!?!?!

So you see, your conventional advice isn't going to change anything. If you want to help, you'll have to look deeper and tell me how I can win against Murphy's Law or turn its tide.

When I do meet someone I like who likes me, something always screws it up. As always, everything is Murphy's Law. What can you do about that? How do you fight a curse or jinx? That's the real question here.

Stop focusing on shallow issues which are not really the issue.

You also have to understand that I can't be something I'm not, and neither can you. I would not be happy trying to be something I'm not either.

Finally, keep in mind that if I had an Asian personality and was Asian on the inside, then this site wouldn't exist, I would be a conformist, and most of you guys would not even like me or resonate with me. Think about that. So you should try to appreciate who I am.

Overall, I don't think NE Asia is a good place to live for a nonconformist, for various obvious reasons. But that's a topic for another post.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby chanta76 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Winston,

Not sure if I agree with the stereotype that Asian guys are meek. Maybe in Taiwan but not in South Korea. Sure in Asia there is more emphasis to conform compared to USA but still I met a number of cocky arrogant Asian guys there.

I think some of the stuff that Celery2010 posted has some validity to your situation but in real life I never met you so I'm not sure how your really like. I think Taiwan is somewhat similar to South Korea when it comes to society . I think but still I meet Asian American guys and western guys in those countries that do well in the dating and social area.

I guess Taiwan is just not for you..possible the rest of Asia maybe not for you. I know that your having some success writing to Chinese girls from China so maybe China maybe it but something is telling me your pretty finicky in where your living at and might end up complaining about China if you every decide to move there.

I remember your stated that Western European countries maybe would fit your personality but the problem is that your Asian looks hold you back in the dating market. I imagine if you were a 6 ft tall better looking Asian guy you might do better in the Western European countries.

But like you say your cocky about your looks and don't care what others say.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Postby fightforlove » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Word on the street in the Korean community is that Chinese/Taiwanese men are more passive.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions