Teaching Abroad for African Americans?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Teaching Abroad for African Americans?

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

I am a Black man, and I want to know what's the best place for teaching English overseas? I see on the board that there are some countries that only want whites.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

which countries only want whites?nothing would shock me when it comes to people hating on black people.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Up until '09 I would have suggested Korea assuming you have a college degree, but with the flood of newly minted unemployed graduates they seem to have reverted to their traditional preference for young, tall, blond, blue-eyed, pretty, big titted females. Hence China is probably your best bet. You might be valued as a curiosity in some places. If you are just wanting to have a teaching experience rather than needing to earn a reasonable living then casual jobs in Vietnam or Cambodia might be possible. Probably you'd be better off doing something else.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: Teaching Abroad for African Americans?

Post by Jackal »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I am a Black man, and I want to know what's the best place for teaching English overseas? I see on the board that there are some countries that only want whites.
It depends what your definition of "best" is. For example, I have heard (but I don't know for a fact) that Romania might be okay for black guys; however, salaries are extremely low there for English teachers--low to the point that it can be difficult to even live normally!

So some countries which may be accepting towards black guys may be not so good in other ways. Perhaps other members can suggest other places.

A little voice in the back of my mind says "Poland" but I'm not sure what they think of black guys there. Maybe you could research this. Everybody seems to be going to Poland these days...

Here's a blog I found: "A Black man in Poland" but I haven't read it.
http://abmip.blogspot.hu/
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Oman and Saudi Arabia are the places where you will not get a second look and will even be promoted- seen it with my own eyes. Also try projects in Iraq. And in those countries your nationality is " American" and not "Black" and that is how you will be identified and called by the locals. And if you convert to Islam, you will be accepted even more.
Qatar and Kuwait are second on the list.
These countries pay the most, give the longest vacations and do not tax you. Black Americans whom I saw there looked very happy.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:Oman and Saudi Arabia are the places where you will not get a second look and will even be promoted- seen it with my own eyes. Also try projects in Iraq. And in those countries your nationality is " American" and not "Black" and that is how you will be identified and called by the locals. And if you convert to Islam, you will be accepted even more.
These countries pay the most, give the longest vacations and do not tax you.
But don't they also have very high standards as to your qualifications and experience? If it is possible for a minimally qualified person to teach there then I'd be interested in giving it a go.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Cornfed wrote:
ladislav wrote:Oman and Saudi Arabia are the places where you will not get a second look and will even be promoted- seen it with my own eyes. Also try projects in Iraq. And in those countries your nationality is " American" and not "Black" and that is how you will be identified and called by the locals. And if you convert to Islam, you will be accepted even more.
These countries pay the most, give the longest vacations and do not tax you.
But don't they also have very high standards as to your qualifications and experience? If it is possible for a minimally qualified person to teach there then I'd be interested in giving it a go.
What are your qualifications and experience? If you have a BA and CELTA/DELTA diploma and a year or two of ESL teaching you should be OK. Those countries are something you should consider as long term and very serious places to work for they will make most of your dreams come true with the money that they pay. If it was not for the oil Arabs I would not have accomplished much in my life.
Do post on Dave's ESL cafe's international jobs forum. That would be a perfect place to ask.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:What are your qualifications and experience? If you have a BA and CELTA/DELTA diploma and a year or two of ESL teaching you should be OK.
I have those things. When I looked into it earlier it seemed they required more, but I'll give it another look.