Some interesting quotes about western culture

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Some interesting quotes about western culture

Post by Voice of Reason »

Here are some quotes from a book called Bangkok 8 by John Burdett. These quotes are about western culture, and I find them interesting and thought provoking.

About how westerners socialize:

p. 231

"The vodka swills and the noise level rises and I fall into silence. This is a Caucasian party. What I see is the great juggernaut of Western culture with its insane need to fill space, all of it, until there is no space or silence left."

About western loneliness:

p. 314

"Weeks have passed, Jones (a female) has called me three times from the States, each time on a Sunday. The loneliness of farangs is a wasting disease for which, the FBI (referring to Jones) will sooner or later come to realise, Thailand may be the only cure.

About the hypocrisy of the west and western women when it comes to prostitution in Thailand:

p. 314

"This kind of western hypocrisy disgusts me, quite frankly. Why doesn't the BBC make a documentary on the rag trade, with all those women working twelve hours a day for less than a dollar an hour?…The West doesn't care about the exploitation of our women, it simply has a problem with sex and at the same time they're using titillation to sell their shows. They love to embarrass middle aged white men who hire our girls. Western women can't handle it that their men get a better time over here. If they're too mean spirited to give their men pleasure, that's their problem. The bottom line is that it's about money…but in the sex trade we see a true redistribution of global wealth from West to East. That's what's got them so hung up."

p 278

This was quoted in the book by a fictitious Professor Beckendorf, in a factious work called Thai Culture Explained. It concerns the silliness of western culture.

"...anyone who spends much time in the kingdom quickly finds themselves questioning the wisdom, and even the sincerity, of western attitudes. When he has paid up his taxes, his life insurance, his medical insurance, accident insurance, retrained himself in the latest marketable skills, saved for his kids' education, paid alimony, bought the house and car which his status absolutely requires he buy within the rules of his particlular tribe, given up alcohol abuse, nicotine, extramarital sex and recreational drugs, spent his two week vacation on some self-improving (but safe) adventure holiday, learned to be hypercareful of what he says to or does with member of the opposite sex, the average Westerner may - and often does - wonder where his life went. He may also - and invariably does - feel cheated when he discovers existentially that all the worrying and all the insurance payments have availed him not a jot or tittle in protecting him against fire, burglary, flood, earthquake, tornado, the sack, terrorist activitiy, or his spouse's precipitate desertion with the kids, the car and all the spare cash in the joint bank account. True enough, in a kingdom without safety nets a citizen may well be brutally flattened by accident or illness, where a Westerner might well have bought himself a measure of protection, but in between the bumps a Thai still lives his life in a state of sublime insouciance. The standard Western observation is that the Thai is living in a fool's paradise. Perhaps, but might the Thai not reply that the Westerner has built himself a fool's hell?"
AmericanEvil
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanEvil »

Nice. For a western person to truly understand how stupid western culture is, they literally have to LEAVE the West and go spend some time in a non-western country. Then everything becomes very clear.

Western men THRIVE outside of the West. On the other hand, Western women become sad and depressed, because their whole fairy tell princess bullshit come collapsing down very fast. Western women hate Asia and non-western countries.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

AmericanEvil wrote:Nice. For a western person to truly understand how stupid western culture is, they literally have to LEAVE the West and go spend some time in a non-western country. Then everything becomes very clear.
So true...but most people are too brainwashed to go out and do this. They keep on living their lives in a bubble, and continue being stupid.
AmericanEvil wrote:Western men THRIVE outside of the West. On the other hand, Western women become sad and depressed, because their whole fairy tell princess bullshit come collapsing down very fast. Western women hate Asia and non-western countries.
Yep, because non-western countries don't worship them just because they are women. I am in Thailand at the moment, and Thai women don't run around masquerading themselves as perpetual victims. They put their heads down and work, just like everybody else.

But having said that, I think Bangkok is becoming poisoned by western culture fast. It is going down, and their souls are being destroyed (the book also made mentions of this). Still, it is not as bad as the west, because feminism hasn't been able to take a hold.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Western women in Thailand go and write articles like this:

http://www.bangkokdiaries.com/2010/01/2 ... nt-page-1/

They blame men for their own inability to have a relationship, instead of taking a look at themselves. And they want to bring Asian women down to their level instead of improving themselves.

"Upon request, many Western women like me can also give crash-courses on how to be strong, arrogant and bitchy: necessary traits for any woman wanting to make it to top in a man’s world"
AmericanEvil
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanEvil »

Voice of Reason wrote:
AmericanEvil wrote:Nice. For a western person to truly understand how stupid western culture is, they literally have to LEAVE the West and go spend some time in a non-western country. Then everything becomes very clear.
So true...but most people are too brainwashed to go out and do this. They keep on living their lives in a bubble, and continue being stupid.
AmericanEvil wrote:Western men THRIVE outside of the West. On the other hand, Western women become sad and depressed, because their whole fairy tell princess bullshit come collapsing down very fast. Western women hate Asia and non-western countries.
Yep, because non-western countries don't worship them just because they are women. I am in Thailand at the moment, and Thai women don't run around masquerading themselves as perpetual victims. They put their heads down and work, just like everybody else.

But having said that, I think Bangkok is becoming poisoned by western culture fast. It is going down, and their souls are being destroyed (the book also made mentions of this). Still, it is not as bad as the west, because feminism hasn't been able to take a hold.
LOL! How can feminism ever take hold, when prostitution is legal? After all, the average woman knows that she had better keep her man happy or else he will go to a prostitute. I would assume that feminists want to make prostitution illegal in Thailand? But that will never happen, because the men would not allow it, and nor would the tens of thousands of women who depend on the profession so as to earn their income.

It's hilarious to see the nasty look white women get on their face when they see a western man with a couple of hot young Asian chicks on each arm.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Yes, anything that gives men power feminists will want to ban. I remember reading something a while back about feminists going to Thailand and protesting prostitution, only to make themselves look like the fools that they are.

And yes, Thai men would never allow feminism to take hold here, because they are not brainwashed pussies like men in the west.