IT work abroad for new grads?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
luoldeng9
Freshman Poster

IT work abroad for new grads?

Post by luoldeng9 »

I am considering a career as a programmer/web developer but I am unemployed right now. My programming skills aren't great and I've just started learning PHP.

I want to leave the US, but I heard there's alot of demand in the IT field in Germany, Netherlands, and maybe Sweden.

What do you guys think is the easiest way to find work in IT abroad? By doing an MS in the target country so you can get the visa easier?
Last edited by luoldeng9 on August 7th, 2013, 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Hi and welcome,

I see your point with wanting to work in Germany, HK or Japan but hey, who told you UK are racist towards Asians? I have been working in IT (mostly finance) in the UK for the best part of 10 years and it's full of very smart Asians who are far from being discriminated, both in the workplace and society at large. As for the common debate on whether British (white, Caucasian) girls may be less interested in dating an Asian young man than a non-Asian, you might be refreshed to know that large cities like London and Manchester and university towns like Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol or York are full of international students, a good number of them being from Asian countries (mostly China and India, with HK, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan also well represented). Hooking up with one of them isn't that hard.

Guidance on graduate careers is usually administered by a few sites. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ is the "official" guv one, http://www.graduate-jobs.com/ being another good one. The more adventurous can place a direct enquiry to the employer. Usually large consultancies (the likes of Accenture, Cap Gemini, etc.) as well as investment banks run graduate schemes. Due to the crisis, I guess the number of places available in London will be quite small, and the process competitive. Nonetheless you may want to give if a try.

If you want to enrol on a Master course leading to a jobseeking Visa (if not a job proper) you could also try Sweden and Finland. They offer courses in English and their tuition fees are heavily subsidises, to the point of being cipher nought in a few cases.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

You'll need some work experience to get a job. Don't bother with PHP if you want a career in IT, PHP is for kids. Learn C# or Java, and preferably a niche skill like Sharepoint.

Computer science degrees are a waste of time - I don't have one and neither have any of the best developers I've worked with.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

IT grads can have a tough time getting into the industry. Get a job and experience at any cost, just so you can put some meat on your resume.

Best thing to do if you want to go abroad is get a niche career up and running then look for something overseas. Or do as I did and be a Dilbert cubicle slave for a few years while you bank every cent you earn.

I've done a bit of work through oDesk, but it's not easy competing with Indians who will work for $1 an hour.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.