American Women in 1969 - Wow look how different they were!

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Here's the Archie's Cartoon, for that song. It really shows a different time where perhaps the War in 'Nam and other things were disconcerting but at least men and women could have some affinity ...

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Re: American Women in 1969

Post by abcdavid01 »

Ghost wrote:Amazing how little time it takes for feminism to destroy women and turn the world upside down. And you are right, our fathers and grandfathers really don't realize how much women have changed. They live in a different world. Their minds and souls are often stuck in the past.
Yeah, I have to explain it a little to my dad. He kind of sees it because my sister is a Feminist though. And he told me today to marry a woman who shows emotion and just wants to give kisses, unlike my mom.
terminator
Junior Poster

Re: American Women in 1969

Post by terminator »

Last edited by terminator on May 24th, 2013, 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow look at singer Mary Hopkin in 1970. She looked so wholesome, natural and sweet. How come American women don't have such a look like her today? lol

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check out the charm, grace and beauty in Audrey Hepburn's face. Wasn't she one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived? How come no actress in America has that kind of beauty and charm today?

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

The further back you go, the better they get.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:Wow check out the charm, grace and beauty in Audrey Hepburn's face. Wasn't she one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived? How come no actress in America has that kind of beauty and charm today?....
Sort of as if a continuing secret program has killed them off, culled them.

Maybe there's a huge pile of fine-boned, feminine beauties, stacked high in a trench somewhere, lying dead.

(Ok, knocking myself in the head. Maker55 is teaching us to be POSITIVE with our words and thoughts. They're not dead, they're all gathered in a secret resort, waiting for me!)
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Winston wrote:Wow check out the charm, grace and beauty in Audrey Hepburn's face. Wasn't she one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived? How come no actress in America has that kind of beauty and charm today?
For some odd reason, after "Pretty Woman", Julia Roberts had become the Hollywood standard for fine American women, however, for all intensive purposes, she's just an ordinary actress with ordinary facial features & minimal charm. I never understood how this happened, as I was never attracted to Roberts at any point in her multi-decade career.

The last great American beauty was singer/songwriter Debbie Harry. Since Madonna swiped her spotlight in the mid-80s, it's been skanks galore ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRvhRhWWE44

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I agree S_Parc. I've never understood the appeal of Julia Roberts. She seemed like a plain ordinary woman with a little charisma, but nothing special or attractive.

I feel the same way about Tom Hanks and Matt Daemon too. They just look like ordinary guys you'd see anywhere. Nothing special. Perhaps the greatest actors can act and not look like they are acting? lol

I thought the last truly graceful and charming singer was Olivia Newton John? I don't know Debby Harry.

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

My county used to have an annual music festival where they'd shell out for big names. Debbie Harry (Blondie, I suppose, with none of the old members) was the last one. My favorite was the Zombies and they also had Chuck Berry another year. Unfortunately it rained the year B-52's were supposed to play and they couldn't reschedule. Unfortunately they don't have the festival at all anymore because people were embezzling money. Sigh...the only good thing about my town. I really need to go abroad.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Winston wrote:I agree S_Parc. I've never understood the appeal of Julia Roberts. She seemed like a plain ordinary woman with a little charisma, but nothing special or attractive.

I feel the same way about Tom Hanks and Matt Daemon too. They just look like ordinary guys you'd see anywhere. Nothing special. Perhaps the greatest actors can act and not look like they are acting? lol

I thought the last truly graceful and charming singer was Olivia Newton John? I don't know Debby Harry.
Liv and Deb were contemporaries, however, Liv was basically mainstream pop (& was good at it) whereas Debbie Harry (see the band, Blondie) was this eclectic sort of crew with a blend of punk, rock, disco -> to -> new wave, and even hip-hop/Reggae. Basically, Deb was a near musical genius and has this R&RHoF legacy of being both the most beautiful and talented American female rocker, something which pretty much no one has matched in the past three decades. Every girl I knew, growing up, idolized her but were too lazy to do enough work to actually achieve anything. I guess Madonna made that clear, a few years later, as she showed that nip/crotch shots and being a wh@rish tease was more important than in producing great music.

As for Tom Hanks, I always see him as a comedian and not as an actor. I saw his TV show, 'Bosom Buddies' on re-run and the movie 'Splash', and for the most part, that was his best stuff. As an actor, he's a stiff and Forrest Gump wasn't this Franz Capra classic as everyone wants it to be. Matt Damon, however, being a Bostonian, is a local hero and so I'll go light on him :wink: The difference is that Matt's a great person, overall, and is married an Argentinian than an AW. So what he lacks, in terms of acting range, is made up for by his exemplary character was a person.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

According to a biography I have, one of the guys from Blondie asked Oasis to do a cover of Hanging on the Telephone for a cover album. The album never came out though, which is a shame because it sounds just like a song from Oasis' first album.

I actually like Madonna, but I get what you're saying. There are other good female artists I can think of. What about Siouxie and the Banshees? Cocteau Twins? Hell even The Bangles. Patti Smith? I already mentioned B-52's; Roam is one of my favorite songs ever. There are a few from the last decade I like, none of that Katy Perry/Adele stuff, but there are some good women in music still.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

abcdavid01 wrote:According to a biography I have, one of the guys from Blondie asked Oasis to do a cover of Hanging on the Telephone for a cover album. The album never came out though, which is a shame because it sounds just like a song from Oasis' first album.

I actually like Madonna, but I get what you're saying. There are other good female artists I can think of. What about Siouxie and the Banshees? Cocteau Twins? Hell even The Bangles. Patti Smith? I already mentioned B-52's; Roam is one of my favorite songs ever. There are a few from the last decade I like, none of that Katy Perry/Adele stuff, but there are some good women in music still.
The Bangles and B-52's were awesome back in the day.

As for Adele, she's awesome! Unlike a lot of her peers, she can actually sing and has talent. Why do you hate her? She's one of the few musicians from this current decade that I can actually stomach along with Coldplay, Lupe Fisaco, and a couple of others I can't remember. Otherwise, music has truly sucked this generation.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:I actually like Madonna, but I get what you're saying. There are other good female artists I can think of. What about Siouxie and the Banshees? Cocteau Twins? Hell even The Bangles. Patti Smith? I already mentioned B-52's; Roam is one of my favorite songs ever. There are a few from the last decade I like, none of that Katy Perry/Adele stuff, but there are some good women in music still.
Interesting to note but Patti Smith (not to be confused for Patty Smyth of Scandal), just before I was born, was Debbie's main punk rock rival at the CBGB circuit in New York City.

As for other women, well ... during the golden age of "popular" rock, there was a plethora of talented women ... Patti Smith, Joan Jett, Linda Ronstadt, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, Ann Wilson (of Heart), Terri Nunn (of Berlin), Pat Benatar, Belinda Carlisle, Bangles, Kim Carnes, Kate Pierson (B-52s), and the list goes on.

What distinguishes the above artists, from the likes of a Madonna, was that the former were more organic in output and less manufactured, in the quality of work vis-a-vis *shock & awe* marketing techniques. Madonna was the consummate business person first & artist second.

And what distinguishes Debbie Harry, even from her contemporaries was her range of music (& vocals), down to earth nature, and that unique combination of beauty and brains. I was a little kid, when Deb was popular, and I don't recall anyone who wasn't touched by her on some level, even if they preferred to listen to let's say The Carpenters or Donna Summer. Granted, I'm talking about folks in the New England region but I'd imagine that folks in Jersey may feel the same way, since she grew up there.