What Comes After Post-Modernism?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

What Comes After Post-Modernism?

Post by abcdavid01 »

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Sorry, but this sounds a bit like another *Dawning of the Age of Aquarius*

For those who us, including myself, who'd missed this *Summer of Love* hippy-fest, here's the original movie reference.

This is the version, forced upon me, during chorus in elementary school by aging hippy teachers.

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

No, no, then you aren't understanding. The Hippies were the problem. The anti-family radicals. In the 70's the Hippies just became Feminists. There was a repression of their kind during the Reagan years, but they came back in full force as University Professors and Third Wave Feminists in the 90's.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:No, no, then you aren't understanding. The Hippies were the problem. The anti-family radicals. In the 70's the Hippies just became Feminists. There was a repression of their kind during the Reagan years, but they came back in full force as University Professors and Third Wave Feminists in the 90's.
The reason why the New Age (meaning prior 19th/early 20th century theosophical writings of Bailey, Blavatsky, Roerich, and others) became mainstream had a lot to with the a faction of Hippies who believed in this post-postmodern brotherhood of creative thought, innovations, and unity. One result of this are all the 2012 ascension movements where folks have mishmashed Buddhism with the Christian Rapture of the Souls.

However, once any clique of persons becomes political, as oppose to just putting on musicals or street theater about a glowing future, they become just like the Bolsheviks whom they'd disdained from the start. The Who said it the best, 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'. The good thing about Daltrey and Townsend is that they stuck with the music and let the revolutionaries do their own thing.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

S_Parc wrote:However, once any clique of persons becomes political, as oppose to just putting on musicals or street theater about a glowing future, they become just like the Bolsheviks whom they'd disdained from the start. The Who said it the best, 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'. The good thing about Daltrey and Townsend is that they stuck with the music and let the revolutionaries do their own thing.
That's ridiculous. It's like saying things weren't better before Feminists became professors and politicians. Clearly things were better before Feminism. That's a large part of this site's purpose. The old bosses were clearly not so bad as the ones for the past 50 years. But I am not advocating a return to pre-Feminism, but a transcendence of it. Honest intellectualism instead of nihilism. But perhaps you are just beholden to Post-Modern cynicism.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:That's ridiculous. It's like saying things weren't better before Feminists became professors and politicians. Clearly things were better before Feminism. That's a large part of this site's purpose. The old bosses were clearly not so bad as the ones for the past 50 years. But I am not advocating a return to pre-Feminism
Feminism, meaning the Gloria Steinem/Valerie Solanas men-hating gestapo agents were the political arm of hippy-ism, not its totality. The full movement had all those idealistic elements you were referencing, esp the New Age as mainstream.
abcdavid01 wrote:but a transcendence of it. Honest intellectualism instead of nihilism. But perhaps you are just beholden to Post-Modern cynicism.
Now you're talking about Emerson & Thoreau, my two local Mass ancient residents. What major changes in society had occurred, after all that mid-1800s Transcendental Movement? The Civil War, Global Colonialism, Child Labor/Robber Baron Industrialism, the World Wars.

Sorry, but this cynicism is my own. If anything, history may not repeat but it sure rhymes.

Here's my vision of 2050 ... kids from the ages of 13 to 16, study very hard for national exams on various topics. Why's that? Because they need to get into a competitive internship at a GE Global Mining, All Caebol Electronics, etc since ppl don't attend a wasteful college [ from the employer's p.o.v. ] but instead, get on-the-job training, once they finish their exams and submit high enough scores to be admitted to the CO-OP. Other kids, less talented, become servers, volunteers for experiments, etc. And why is this happening? Because starting a few decades ago, multinational corps have grown in stature and now, have more influence on our development over universities, neighborhood, family, etc.

Thus, those 2050 Emersons will be these independently wealthy intellectuals, giving commentaries on society much like Gore Vidal, for much of the 20th century. As for real effect, well, that's debatable. I haven't seen Vidal make any major changes besides offering his opinion.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

No, I am using transcendence with a lower case "t" and not referencing the Transcendental movement.

As for Vidal, a common complaint on this forum is how many women are bisexual now.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:No, I am using transcendence with a lower case "t" and not referencing the Transcendental movement.
I notice that you tend to focus more on the theory than the implementation.

In practice, it's very similar [ group of bright men with a type of Plato's Academy credo, searching for answers w/o preconceived notions ] but unlike the 1800s, the Masonic lodges of today have very few members, below 45, for men to meet up and discuss those type of topics. Today, men typically don't meetup, outside of sports & work.

And having this sort of tether to Multinational Corporate America, I think it's even less likely for another intellectual post-post-modern society to come up, when vocational training or shall we say *the color of one's parachute*, is more significant than it ever was since the 50s. If you want a present-day example of this, look at oil work at Purdue Bay Alaska. The men who live there, live in almost army-like barracks type of setup, doing shifts, and using off their hours for R&R.

http://www.idlcoyote.com/adventures/arc ... horse.html

http://www.d.umn.edu/~cstroupe/archive/ ... blife.html
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

What Comes After Post-Modernism? Another dark age. There is nothing new under the sun, as Ecclesiastes says. History moves in the same cycles, over and over again.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Of course I am focusing more on theory. This is an emergent epoch in very early stages. Who knows how it will come to manifest itself? And what's to say an exaltation of vocational skills isn't a part of (instead of distraction from) the new paradigm? The masses never lead intellectual epochs anyway.
Last edited by abcdavid01 on December 18th, 2012, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

fschmidt wrote:What Comes After Post-Modernism? Another dark age. There is nothing new under the sun, as Ecclesiastes says. History moves in the same cycles, over and over again.
I predict two centuries of Corporatism, a.k.a The Dark Tech Age, followed by the so-called New Age but without the jokers like Allen Ginsburg and Timothy Leary.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

This is what follows post-modernism:

See commentary:

http://therightstuff.biz/2012/12/12/the ... modernism/
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Wow. That's a wonderful article fschmidt. Thanks for posting. I mean that. No more irony, right? Yes, it's time for something new.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: What Comes After Post-Modernism?

Post by OutWest »

Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Re: What Comes After Post-Modernism?

Post by Dark_Sol »