Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Anyone know of any sites with English teaching jobs overseas

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Post Reply
expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 182
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 5:06 am

Anyone know of any sites with English teaching jobs overseas

Post by expatasiaseeker » January 14th, 2013, 7:50 am

Does anyone know of any websites that have listings of jobs for teaching English abroad?

Or does anyone know of any lists of schools in Asia that are looking for English teachers?

I remember there was a couple of sites that had job listings for English teachers but I can't find them now.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5749
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am

Post by Ghost » January 14th, 2013, 8:21 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5881
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » January 14th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Ghost wrote:Dave's ESL Cafe is one of the most popular and it is updated often.

People should boycott that site for politically correct censorship on their forum. There are plenty of other sites to choose from that a google search would reveal.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 25316
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Contact:

Post by Winston » January 14th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Cornfed wrote:
Ghost wrote:Dave's ESL Cafe is one of the most popular and it is updated often.

People should boycott that site for politically correct censorship on their forum. There are plenty of other sites to choose from that a google search would reveal.


About 99 percent of forums have some sort of politically correct censorship. You can't just boycott them all. To appeal to the mainstream, you have to have such censorship. lol
Check out my video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Also see my HA Grand Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5881
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » January 15th, 2013, 12:45 am

Winston wrote:About 99 percent of forums have some sort of politically correct censorship. You can't just boycott them all.

Sure you can. Some other sites either don't have a forum or confine their forum to discussing EFL topics, so people could use those. Anyway, I don't think it has anything to do with appealing to the mainstream. It seemes to be more about pushing a political agenda agreed with Western regimes behind the scenes and appealing to their advertisers.

expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 182
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 5:06 am

Post by expatasiaseeker » January 15th, 2013, 2:26 am

Ghost wrote:Dave's ESL Cafe is one of the most popular and it is updated often.

There are recruiters for jobs in Asia you can look at too. PM me if you want my personal recommendations. But be aware that more experienced EFL teachers generally suggest to contact schools directly. Recruiters are a service that can be useful, but do your homework and check reviews and whatnot.

Where in Asia are you planning to teach? South Korea and China are typically places to start. I wanted to try Korea at first, but the process requires getting everything apostilled which is ridiculous. And more documents are required anyway. China is where I decided on. Much easier to get into.


To teach in South Korea, you have to have a 4 year college degree. I don't have that and I don't even have an ESL or TEFL certificate.

I am in Cambodia, and this country is like the "wild west" of Asia. Almost anything goes here- prostitution, massage parlours, marijuana is sold at most resteraunts and cafes, and harder drugs are very easy to find. There is very little police presence either.

So, it may not be possible for me to get a job at the "top schools" but I can certainly get a job at a smaller school probably. Hell, anyone as long as they are an American or European, can come to this country and get an english teaching job.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5749
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am

Post by Ghost » January 15th, 2013, 4:57 am

...
Last edited by Ghost on October 28th, 2016, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5881
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Post by Cornfed » January 15th, 2013, 7:34 am

expatasiaseeker wrote: To teach in South Korea, you have to have a 4 year college degree. I don't have that and I don't even have an ESL or TEFL certificate.

I am in Cambodia, and this country is like the "wild west" of Asia. Almost anything goes here- p4p, massage parlours, marijuana is sold at most resteraunts and cafes, and harder drugs are very easy to find. There is very little police presence either.

So, it may not be possible for me to get a job at the "top schools" but I can certainly get a job at a smaller school probably. Hell, anyone as long as they are an American or European, can come to this country and get an english teaching job.

I lived in Cambodia. That was almost a decade ago now, but there were some problems with the attitude you are taking. It is possible you have got the wrong idea. Be careful.

expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 182
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 5:06 am

Post by expatasiaseeker » January 15th, 2013, 8:36 am

Cornfed wrote:
expatasiaseeker wrote: To teach in South Korea, you have to have a 4 year college degree. I don't have that and I don't even have an ESL or TEFL certificate.

I am in Cambodia, and this country is like the "wild west" of Asia. Almost anything goes here- p4p, massage parlours, marijuana is sold at most resteraunts and cafes, and harder drugs are very easy to find. There is very little police presence either.

So, it may not be possible for me to get a job at the "top schools" but I can certainly get a job at a smaller school probably. Hell, anyone as long as they are an American or European, can come to this country and get an english teaching job.

I lived in Cambodia. That was almost a decade ago now, but there were some problems with the attitude you are taking. It is possible you have got the wrong idea. Be careful.


Can you explain what you mean by this statement? "but there were some problems with the attitude you are taking. It is possible you have got the wrong idea. Be careful."

I myself do not do drugs, use marijuana or anything else, and do not pick up bar girls or buy prostit**tues, I have indeed heard some horror stories where guys got locked up but I am not sure what for. As long as you don't go around screwing 12 year old prostit**tues, you should be okay.

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » January 15th, 2013, 3:32 pm

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/search.html ... this site has lots of esl job ads & you get the schools' contact details & web address etc. It helps to resaerch them first before u apply.

Chile, Venezuela, the Eastern part of Turkey, Turkmenistan, Kazakstan & Azerbaijan are countries where u can find ESL work without a degree... This only works if you get a visa for 1 or 2 yrs. You won't be able to have a work permit processed though.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 182
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 5:06 am

Post by expatasiaseeker » January 15th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Here's a slightly different question.

Has anyone here been to Cambodia? If so, what is the situation with massage parlours? Is it safe to request a happy ending handjob? Do the police bust people for stuff like that, is it is tolerated? I just don't want to land up in a f***ing prison in Asia.

Thanks

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”