Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


20 Reasons Not to Join the Military: Why it's foolish

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Andrewww » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 am

But how can you live with yourself after killing someone else for some money ? And I don't care if you weren't on the front lines, being in the military as an engineer still supports the war effort.

Imagine if college was free because the government wouldn't have to provide benefits to some old farts.
The type of guys you mention, the ones who don't know what to do with their lives are the perfect tool for politians.

Check out what Will Hunting has to say about all this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnBvjGBixw[/youtube]
Andrewww
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 am







Postby momopi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 am

When people talk about joining the military, they think of this:

Image

In reality, only 5%-30% of modern army is infantry. In 2009, the US Army had 565,000 active duty personnel, out of which only 49,000 (8.67%) were infantry. The US Marine Corps has ~200,000 active duty personnel, out of which I think only 20,000 (10%) are infantry. In comparison, 30%-40% of modern army is in logistics. Yup, an army doesn't go anywhere unless if you got food, water, fuel, ammo, soap, toilet paper....

Image

The ratio is even more extreme in the Air Force. Only a very small % get to be pilots and have any chance of pulling the trigger. The rest are on the ground somewhere. Some guys end up flying transports, and when they're at a bar, they like to tell the girls that they fly F-15's. ;p
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Postby Jester » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 am

ladislav wrote:The US military protects American interests, that is why it is seen as serving one's country.

Sometimes, people who join are poor ones who have no money to go to college or no special talent. And sometimes, it's all kinds of people. And you have many things to gain- easy loans to get houses, paid college education, VA benefits of all kinds, pensions, etc. And while you are in the military you also get combat pay - so you do take risks for money.

When you are young, the military does offer you a way to improve your future and not everyone goes to war- most people have non combat duty at some base, etc.


Most people join for these reasons.

A very few just want to be Alpha Men, Navy SEALS, whatever. But this is rare. Mainly its a gig.

An easy one IMO. You get paid to go to school, learn languages, stay in shape. On a steady salary with German-style benefits.

Plus they train. Noone else does.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby Winston » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:02 pm

celery2010 wrote:winston, i used to think the same way until i found out how many real benefits the military provides. When i was younger it was a lot of young guys who didn't know what to do i life that joined, but:

1. The biggest benefit: They get have pay after 20 years of service and i think like 66% or something after 30 years of service. In other words they can join at 18 and retire at 38. Imagine getting 50K a year for doing nothing.

2. Free health and get everything for a discount at the PX.

3. Free travel. Get to go around the world while working.

4. Money for college for the people who can't afford it.

5. Preference in hiring for government jobs.

6. With the Iraq/Afghan boom, lots of defense types made 200K plus. That's good money by any standard.

7. There are people who are more skilled in the military, like engineers, air force etc. Also lots of technologies that come from the defense industry.

In other words, a lot more benefits than you would think. The U.S. government makes it that way. It's really red America's big welfare program.


So getting good benefits makes all the 20 reasons I cited ok? lol. Man I thought I was selfish.

If the military is such a good experience, then how do you explain the nightmarish experience by Mr S in the Navy? See his vehement post about it here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 1850#31850

A close friend of mine went to army boot camp and then quit. He said that in boot camp, every freedom you've ever known is gone.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Devil Dog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Winston wrote:
celery2010 wrote:winston, i used to think the same way until i found out how many real benefits the military provides. When i was younger it was a lot of young guys who didn't know what to do i life that joined, but:

1. The biggest benefit: They get have pay after 20 years of service and i think like 66% or something after 30 years of service. In other words they can join at 18 and retire at 38. Imagine getting 50K a year for doing nothing.

2. Free health and get everything for a discount at the PX.

3. Free travel. Get to go around the world while working.

4. Money for college for the people who can't afford it.

5. Preference in hiring for government jobs.

6. With the Iraq/Afghan boom, lots of defense types made 200K plus. That's good money by any standard.

7. There are people who are more skilled in the military, like engineers, air force etc. Also lots of technologies that come from the defense industry.

In other words, a lot more benefits than you would think. The U.S. government makes it that way. It's really red America's big welfare program.


So getting good benefits makes all the 20 reasons I cited ok? lol. Man I thought I was selfish.

If the military is such a good experience, then how do you explain the nightmarish experience by Mr S in the Navy? See his vehement post about it here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 1850#31850

A close friend of mine went to army boot camp and then quit. He said that in boot camp, every freedom you've ever known is gone.



I enlisted in the Navy right out of high school, decided that being an enlisted man in the Navy sucks, applied for a Navy ROTC scholarship, had a 4 year full scholarship at a University, graduated, was commissioned as an officer in the USMC, flew helicopters, resigned at the end of my obligation.

Here is what I did not do: Enlist in the Navy, piss and moan about how bad it sucked for the next four years.

Your friend couldn't even finish Army boot camp? That is a serious non-hacker. The army is full of half-retarded cooks and truck drivers who were all able to finish boot camp.

Winston, the bottom line is that you are pontificating on a subject without any first hand experience. And yet you want to tell people who have years of experience that you know the truth about it.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 am

Postby expatasiaseeker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm

That's the question I am asking. You say the military is a good job. Okay, so it's worth KILLING PEOPLE just to make money?

Soldiers are evil people. Or "dumb stupid animals" as Henry Kissinger called them.
expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 am

Postby expatasiaseeker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

You're too damn stupid to get a REAL JOB, so you go become a paid mercenary, a soldier, and KILL PEOPLE for money.

American soldiers are very evil people.

How many women and children did you kill, you f***ing baby killer?
expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 am

Postby expatasiaseeker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:21 pm

You monsters go into countries and KILL PEOPLE just so that the Rothschilds can establish a central bank in the countries you invade.

How does that feel? To know that you murdered people so that the Rothschilds could steal even more money from people? You are going to burn in hell, along with the Rothschilds.
expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 am

Postby onethousandknives » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:39 am

onethousandknives
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Postby zboy1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:06 am

onethousandknives wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/bct-drill-sergeant-us-army-lord-of-the-rings-letter-really-private-2013-2

Image


Haha, classic! I think whoever wrote this was trolling his drill sergeant and the U.S. Army, lol.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Tsar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 am

I wouldn't ever fight for America. I would try to join the Russian Foreign Legion for Russian citizenship if all else fails, or the French Foreign Legion. Five years service, three years for citizenship, and if it comes with any other benefits is a good trade-off. Plus, Russia only fights wars when necessary and to protect their region from the imperialist American influence. Any war that Russia has fought for the past century has been a fair and just war. Nicholas II wanted to protect the Serbians, fellow Slavic peoples. Stalin fought Hitler because Hitler broke his treaty with Russia. Russia helped Mao, the Koreans, aided the Cubans in defending themselves from American imperialism, kept America in check in the Middle East, and most recently the Russians went into Georgia to protect ethnic Russians (and to prevent Georgia being taken over by American interests).

If I ever joined a foreign military it would be for my freedom. If I don't find employment after college and it looks like I'm stuck, then that's what I will do. Try to join a foreign military if possible. Serving in the Russian Foreign legion should also be something that Russian girls would like because I'm sure they would love a good guy that also serves Russia.
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby terminator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 am

Tsar wrote:I wouldn't ever fight for America. I would try to join the Russian Foreign Legion for Russian citizenship if all else fails, or the French Foreign Legion. Five years service, three years for citizenship, and if it comes with any other benefits is a good trade-off. Plus, Russia only fights wars when necessary and to protect their region from the imperialist American influence. Any war that Russia has fought for the past century has been a fair and just war. Nicholas II wanted to protect the Serbians, fellow Slavic peoples. Stalin fought Hitler because Hitler broke his treaty with Russia. Russia helped Mao, the Koreans, aided the Cubans in defending themselves from American imperialism, kept America in check in the Middle East, and most recently the Russians went into Georgia to protect ethnic Russians (and to prevent Georgia being taken over by American interests).

If I ever joined a foreign military it would be for my freedom. If I don't find employment after college and it looks like I'm stuck, then that's what I will do. Try to join a foreign military if possible. Serving in the Russian Foreign legion should also be something that Russian girls would like because I'm sure they would love a good guy that also serves Russia.


Umm, I'd think twice about the Russian Army/Legion - conditions are so bad young Russian men do EVERYTHING to get out of it. Every Russian man I met told me at length how they hate military service and the men who are forced to do it often are so traumatised they can't work/function when they leave. And there's no Psychiatric care available for these men at prices they can pay.
terminator
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Postby expatasiaseeker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 pm

f**k fighting for ANY f***ing military. They are all terrorists.

What is the point of fighting for any government? You've already lost if you are willing to kill IN THE NAME OF YOUR GOVERNMENT. All governments are created by the satanic elite to enslave the population. If the elite were actually serious about helping people, they would disband the government and let people govern themselves.

By serving a government, you are admitting to them you are their slave and you deserve to be treated like a slave.
expatasiaseeker
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 am

Postby Andrewww » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:57 pm

@Tsar, at least in the US you get a nice paycheck. In Russia they screw your ass and you get dirt.
Andrewww
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 am

Postby Tsar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:09 am

Andrewww wrote:@Tsar, at least in the US you get a nice paycheck. In Russia they screw your a** and you get dirt.


I will agree with that but only if there is a job to be had. New graduates have some of the worst employment ratings, the financial sector is contracting (which is where I should be working upon graduation), and the paycheck must be enough to cover expenses and student loans. A new study was released today that said Americans 18-33 year old are the most stressed of any age group. The above issues and other financial related issues are why.

http://news.health.com/2013/02/07/young-adults-are-americas-most-stressed-generation-survey/

Assuming I locate employment that covers all expenses and allows for a large amount of savings, I would stay in America until I find a bride abroad.

Finance majors: 5.0% unemployment
http://www.studentsreview.com/unemployment_by_major.php3
Average starting salary: $77,297
http://www.studentsreview.com/salary_by_major.php3

Considering my demographics I would say I have close to 70% chance of finding employment if I manage to get called in for an interview.

I wouldn't have too many options remaining if I don't find a decent job with a nice paycheck.
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests