What caused the japanese men to become "herbivores"

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
clowny
Freshman Poster

What caused the japanese men to become "herbivores"

Post by clowny »

A survery conducted in 2010 revealed that 36% of Japanese men between the ages of 16 and 19 perceived themselves as herbivore men.

Now, I have heard from other sources that Japan is still very much a patriarchal society, and even heard claims that the women there "get treated like shit." So if we assume that the women there are not bitchy feminists, then what has caused men to shun women and marriage? Is it because japanese society is too feminine, and the men there have become so beta that they don't know how to behave like men and court women?
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

I know next to nothing about Japan, other than seeing various documentaries, one of them about herbivores. I suspect that these young men are not just avoiding women, they are avoiding the whole society and its huge pressures to chase status, salary and possessions through conforming to an unyielding, normative corporate culture.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
Intolerant
Freshman Poster

Post by Intolerant »

If Japan relaxes its stringent corporate culture, then something like this can be reversed, which is why many Japanese men are otaku/neet/hikikomori.... They don't want to deal with this corporate cultural trap of being a 'salaryman'.