What were women like before 1900?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Billy wrote:Renata,

but people still live longer than in the past. doesn´t sound like it´s really dangerous. at be carefull in turkey. these guys have no starndards in food quality control.
I know billy, but that grey cloud has a silver lining ... this must be the only country i've been to with no customs import restrictions ... I bring in anything' I want via the airport, airmail, freight, it's quite wonderful. The spoil-child in me is very happy LOL.

Processed man made food are dangerous!!!, we have more sick & diseased people because of it. I'm also sure the medical & pharmaceutical industry are in business together $$$ ... they invest more into cures than prevention.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What were women like before 1900?

Post by momopi »

clowny wrote:Humankind made more technological progress in the 100 years from 1900 to 2000, than in the previous 50,000 years of human existence. The 20th century brought us the automobile, television, internet, and of course, the political movement known as Women's Liberation/Feminism. All these things contributed to the decline of woman. The problem is, there is nobody alive today who can tell us what women were like before 1900.
This question is too broad. If you're looking for specific answers or examples, it'd be necessary to specify the time period and location.

For example, in 19th century China (Qing Dynasty), foot binding for upper class Han Chinese women were prevalent, but prohibited by Imperial Decree for Manchu women. A women that has had foot binding cannot perform manual labor, such as working in the fields. Thus they lived a sheltered life attended by servants, with a lifestyle afforded by their husband's wealth. Peasants and tenant farmers, on the other hand, had a very different (and harder) life. Ethnic Manchus were the ruling class and they did not need to work, they received government subsidies from birth at the expense of the Han majority. In ye olde Manchu culture, when a man wants to court a girl, they'd ride on 2 different horses to a designated location (i.e. a tree). On the way to the tree the man is allowed to flirt with the girl as he sees fit. On the way back, the girl is allowed to whip the man with her horse whip however she sees fit, should she be offended by what he had said. If the man cannot endure the whipping or runs away, he is seen as a coward.

In some parts of China, where women were prohibited from attending school, they simply developed their own writing system that differs from traditional Chinese characters. In Japan, where men were educated in Kanji (Chinese characters), the women wrote in hiragana.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If you look at photos from the era before 1900 (I think photography was invented in the 1840's since there are photos from that period), you will see that women looked more simple and wholesome, but also more worn out from hardship and looked less attractive as well.

Were women really oppressed and unhappy during the Victorian era as the media claims? Or is that just propaganda designed to make women feel good about the modern era?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote: Were women really oppressed and unhappy during the Victorian era as the media claims? Or is that just propaganda designed to make women feel good about the modern era?
This is difficult to say - I think, it was not a happy time for both, ordinary women and ordinary men. Only a small group of rich people enjoyed life, but also limited due to missing medical care etc. People died early.

For sure however at that time in Europe, women were the majority. There was a huge surplus of women because men often died in wars, on ships, during constructions etc...

Girls were kept away from sex outside of marriage, but many ordinary women could never find a man, they were pleased if a man was showing up considered them for a long term relationship.

At that time I would say, men had a choice.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I still remember my great grandmother (born ~1875, around the time that Gaudi was starting to build La Sagrada Familia here in Barcelona lol). I'd say she wasn't that much different to women of this era. She certainly smoked and drank as much as they do these days. Well maybe women are less racist now, but other than that I don't think there's as much difference as you might think.

My grandmother had a lot of sisters. Some were prim and proper (geeks of their time), but others were hellraisers :) .
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Probably Depends on where you were. Look at bathing: How many people just seemed to stop doing that for whatever reasons back in the medieval days IN EUROPE? Look at Japan during that same timeframe & it's a whole diferent story. You might not even have to look that far away, either- as different countries had different styles.

What about Mexican women from earlier than the 1900s?
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

Man this forum fell off with Winston pulling up old dead threads from 2013...Sheesh...

To answer the question though...One word to describe women before 1900? Feminine.... Period.
Anatol
Junior Poster

Post by Anatol »

~ Women were NORMAL {(feminine, submissive, ladylike and UN-MASCULINE)} 100 years ago. Till 50 years ago most of the world's females {(even in U.S.A. were like this)}.