Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Testing Out Thai Food

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Testing Out Thai Food

Postby zacb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm

I am not really a big fan of seafood, or things that have a lot of thins like diced onions or vegtables in them ( I just don't like tomatos, onions, diced peppers, or such). Is Thai fod mainly made of? Becaus eI wa slooking on Wikipedia, and some of those dishes looked interesting. Can anyone elaborate?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan







Postby S_Parc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Thai food also uses a lot of peanuts, lemon grass, basil, shallots, cumin, lime leaves, and a host of other garnishments.

In other words ... you won't like it, it's high in the spice content. If you want simple ... stick with a Yankee pot roast: beef stock, carrots, potatoes, but w/o the diced onions.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Postby abcdavid01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Yes, very spicy, peanuts. etc.
中国人万岁! 中国美女万岁!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:52 am
Location: On the run

Postby zacb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't mind that, as so much dices onions and tomatoes. I don't mind greens as much, just not certain things, like onions or tomatoes, or that have that type of texture. Do you still think I would not like it? My main thing is the texture.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Postby onethousandknives » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

zacb wrote:I don't mind that, as so much dices onions and tomatoes. I don't mind greens as much, just not certain things, like onions or tomatoes, or that have that type of texture. Do you still think I would not like it? My main thing is the texture.


It's less on that, compared to American Chinese food where they just put random sorta specs of onions in just because. Go to a local Thai restaurant and try some out and see. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. It's a bit different, I like it a lot. Lots of things are very much sorta variants of things in other countries. Like their curries are curries, but use coconut milk instead of yogurt, giving them a distinctive taste. Just try it and see. Vietnamese food is cool, too.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Postby Intolerant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Then you have no problem with Thai cuisine in general, they don't use any tomatoes, onions and peppers. Most Thai cuisine uses beef, chicken or pork, usually chicken or pork. Seafood is only in the southern and central parts, while in the inland areas hardly have any seafood unless if you count grilled river fish.
Intolerant
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Postby S_Parc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Intolerant wrote:Then you have no problem with Thai cuisine in general, they don't use any tomatoes, onions and peppers. Most Thai cuisine uses beef, chicken or pork, usually chicken or pork. Seafood is only in the southern and central parts, while in the inland areas hardly have any seafood unless if you count grilled river fish.


Shallots and scallions are basically onions. And if you've ever had Som Tam, the papaya salad, it's got tomatoes, chiles, onions, etc.

With the above stated, you can obviously order out and just specify what you don't want in your mix.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Postby E_Irizarry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:05 pm

S_Parc wrote:Thai food also uses a lot of peanuts, lemon grass, basil, shallots, cumin, lime leaves, and a host of other garnishments.

In other words ... you won't like it, it's high in the spice content. If you want simple ... stick with a Yankee pot roast: beef stock, carrots, potatoes, but w/o the diced onions.


I'm glad that my DNA rendered to me the tolerance of hot, spicy and flavorful. It's the 10th wonder of the world, guys. Tom Kha Gai!? Image Hahahaa you put that in front of me, I'm inhaling it as if it were lines of snow. To the OP, you should try that dish....the lemongrass adds a bitter sweet to the coconut milk in the soup mix. It's not spicy, but the rice could be.

That s.hit with basil and oregano garlic rice puts a smile on my face and a stank stench on my breath with glee. :-) That food literally warms one's soul. You can feel it work seamlessly with your blood flow.

Real Indian food is hot!!!!! Almost wasabi hot! But it tastes so friggin good! There's a method to eating spicy food without juice or water.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby zacb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:18 pm

S_Parc wrote:
Intolerant wrote:Then you have no problem with Thai cuisine in general, they don't use any tomatoes, onions and peppers. Most Thai cuisine uses beef, chicken or pork, usually chicken or pork. Seafood is only in the southern and central parts, while in the inland areas hardly have any seafood unless if you count grilled river fish.


Shallots and scallions are basically onions. And if you've ever had Som Tam, the papaya salad, it's got tomatoes, chiles, onions, etc.

With the above stated, you can obviously order out and just specify what you don't want in your mix.


I guess that is true. I am just kind of intrigued by some of the food I saw on Wikipedia. Some of it sounds pretty good. I just don't like the onions and tomatoes, but perhaps I could come to like some of it. I just don't like shallots. But I don't know, some of their food seems interesting (at least compared to Chinese food).
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Postby E_Irizarry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

You guys should boycott stateside "Thai" food. It's a monstrosity compared to Thai food I had in Patt/Jometien Bch and BKK.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby S_Parc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

zacb wrote:I guess that is true. I am just kind of intrigued by some of the food I saw on Wikipedia. Some of it sounds pretty good. I just don't like the onions and tomatoes, but perhaps I could come to like some of it. I just don't like shallots. But I don't know, some of their food seems interesting (at least compared to Chinese food).


Unfortunately, the Mackinaw / N. Michigan region may be parse in terms of Thai restaurants.

Even in greater Boston, with a variety of Thai places, the food tends to be more on the sweet & heavy side than spicy, light, & hearty, which is what it's like in Thailand. Overall, the only decent ethnic stuff locally is Portuguese Brazilian, as there are many Portuguese and Brazilians, who live in and around my area.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Postby eurobrat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 pm

...
Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 am

Re: Testing Out Thai Food

Postby momopi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:58 pm

zacb wrote:I am not really a big fan of seafood, or things that have a lot of thins like diced onions or vegtables in them ( I just don't like tomatoes, onions, diced peppers, or such). Is Thai food mainly made of? Because I was looking on Wikipedia, and some of those dishes looked interesting. Can anyone elaborate?


Call the Thai restaurants in your area and ask if they serve stir fried pork (or beef or chicken) with Thai holy basil.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4707
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Testing Out Thai Food

Postby eurobrat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 pm

...
Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 am

Postby E_Irizarry » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 pm

eurobrat wrote:
E_Irizarry wrote:You guys should boycott stateside "Thai" food. It's a monstrosity compared to Thai food I had in Patt/Jometien Bch and BKK.


Not true, there's two girls down the street that own a Thai restaurant of the highest standards yea you might pay 50% more than you do in BKK but it's genuine, healthy and tasty.


I would not doubt that, but i said in comparison. Stateside Thai food is not a total abomination, but it's not as nearly great as it in its native land. It has something to do with the "dirty water" in BKK. Just like NYC used to have good pizza until the Mexicans were hired in lieu of the 2nd-3rd-generation Italians whom made it from scratch and with love IN COMBINATION with the dirty water of NYC. Dirty water adds flavor; don't ask me why...it just does.

Mexican works at pizzerias in NYC don't even toss the dough up in the air so that it "ferments" getting more airy flavor into the dough so how can the #@%$% pizza taste awesome???
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests