Testing Out Thai Food

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Re: Testing Out Thai Food

Post by zacb »

momopi wrote:
zacb wrote:I am not really a big fan of seafood, or things that have a lot of thins like diced onions or vegtables in them ( I just don't like tomatoes, onions, diced peppers, or such). Is Thai food mainly made of? Because I was looking on Wikipedia, and some of those dishes looked interesting. Can anyone elaborate?
Call the Thai restaurants in your area and ask if they serve stir fried pork (or beef or chicken) with Thai holy basil.
That sounds good! :D . Those types of foods are what got me kind of interested. There is one place that is down the street that is Thai/Chinese, but the only the I ever tried was chicken with sweet and sour sauce. So we have Thai food, kind of.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

E_Irizarry wrote:You guys should boycott stateside "Thai" food. It's a monstrosity compared to Thai food I had in Patt/Jometien Bch and BKK.
Not true! You can get great authentic Thai food in NYC--if you know where to look.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

zboy1 wrote:
E_Irizarry wrote:You guys should boycott stateside "Thai" food. It's a monstrosity compared to Thai food I had in Patt/Jometien Bch and BKK.
Not true! You can get great authentic Thai food in NYC--if you know where to look.
I used to go to ones in Astoria, and I didnt' think they were as good and as cheap as good Thai in Thailand.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

FOR THE RECORD: If you have not been to Thailand to eat street food, to eat authentic Thai 5-star restaurants AND to eat Thai-food buffet in Thailand, then you don't know what you're missing.

T/hat was for the nay-sayers. LOL I'm adamant about this. LOL
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

eurobrat wrote:No good Italian restaurants left in the LA vicinity though.
Didn't Chef Ramsay straight out one of those down & out Italian restaurants in SoCal on "Kitchen Nightmares" :wink:
Last edited by S_Parc on March 16th, 2013, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

E_Irizarry wrote:FOR THE RECORD: If you have not been to Thailand to eat street food, to eat authentic Thai 5-star restaurants AND to eat Thai-food buffet in Thailand, then you don't know what you're missing.
Personally, I like those outdoor seafood restaurants, elevated over a river or watery area. They have barbecued/grilled jumbo shrimps, crabs, steamed Pla with the various peppery sauces.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

S_Parc wrote:
E_Irizarry wrote:FOR THE RECORD: If you have not been to Thailand to eat street food, to eat authentic Thai 5-star restaurants AND to eat Thai-food buffet in Thailand, then you don't know what you're missing.
Personally, I like those outdoor seafood restaurants, elevated over a river or watery area. They have barbecued/grilled jumbo shrimps, crabs, steamed Pla with the various peppery sauces.
Yes Thai seafood is very very nice, but they do a lot more with the chicken and veggie dishes. I'm not a vegan but their veggies are steamed retaining the flavor and vitamins and make a marriage with their rich sauces and rice. I will go back to Thailand one of these years. I already "pillaged and raped" mediocre, good p*ussy smuts twice there. Well I will go to Patts again; that's for sure...I hope they added more prostibulos on streets 1-17. There were about 300 when I was last there in 2008.

- E. Irizarry (2009)

- E. Irizarry (2012)

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Not all Thai food is spicy. In my option this is a huge misconception. Thai good is a mix of sweet, sour, and salty.

There is the spicy: Tom yum, Som tum, Yum wun sen, Pad kee mao

and not spicy:

Crab fried rice, Pad Thai, Baw mee, Kuay teeo (make it as spicy as you want by adding chili peppers), Moo ping, jok...

I've been to Thai restaurants in Southern California that were every bit as good as places here in Thailand and I've been to one place in particular in South Florida that was absolutely terrible. In fact, it was so Americanized I didn't want to comment on the quality of the food.
FOR THE RECORD: If you have not been to Thailand to eat street food, to eat authentic Thai 5-star restaurants AND to eat Thai-food buffet in Thailand, then you don't know what you're missing.

T/hat was for the nay-sayers. LOL I'm adamant about this. LOL
Definitely.

BTW - Thais definitely use onions and tomatoes. I eat Thai food every single day and some of my favorite dishes are Kai jeeo moo sap (Omelete with ground pork - often with onion), Red Onion omelet, Yum wun sen (seafood salad with glass noodles - spicy)...

Both of the below dishes are not spicy

Red onion omelet:

Crispy fried pork belly over rice (with egg):

sirius
Freshman Poster

Post by sirius »

I learned how to make Tom Yum soup, that is basically Thai soup with lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and coconut milk, soy sauce, and chili paste.

I am going to learn how to make Thai fried rice today. Here's the recipe I am using:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Thai-Fried-Rice

Thai/Southeast Asia food is f***ing awesome. Good tasting, healthy.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

My two kids just walked down the street to buy some Kuay Teeo (Boat Noodles) with pork and dumplings. 95 baht ($3.27) for three bowls. One of my favorite regular dishes.

I'm putting together site on Thai food...www.thaifoodreview.com. As soon as I have a chance to input the articles, videos and information I'll update it and start working on 3-4x a week. I want to cook more but I need to take a cooking class as I can only cook a few Thai dishes!

BTW - speaking of coconut milk, one of my favorite things to buy at the fresh market is coconut. I buy ten of them for about $8.50 once or twice a week. Stick them in the fridge, drink the coconut water and make all sorts of stuff with the meat.
sirius
Freshman Poster

Post by sirius »

Finished making the Thai fried rice. Pretty simple, you just throw in onions, garlic, peanuts, and rice and fry it for a bit. Then throw in your tomatoes and soy sauce and fry it a bit more. Then at the end, put in lime juice, coriander leaves, and sliced cumcumbers, and you have yourself Thai fried rice.
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Initially on my trips to Thailand I didn't eat it much but then after a while I had it all the time and when I get back to the UK the food tastes processed and horrible! Try Chicken and Cashew Nuts and Sticky Rice as an easy entry level meal, then start hitting other things, you won't go wrong... I feel so healthy when eating that stuff.