If not abroad, then where in America?..

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
skeptic
Freshman Poster

If not abroad, then where in America?..

Post by skeptic »

For those who can't afford moving to a foreign country, which locale in America would you recommend? Winston once mentioned (and I can reluctantly attest to it) that NYC has more quality women than most other American cities but those women have very high standards and would only go for a high-status guy, unless they are fresh immigrants (which NYC has a lot, too). Has anyone made observations about other cities/states? Is it true that the society in rural America is still traditional and family-oriented? Is there any place that still has more locally-owned eateries than McDonaldses or Burger Kings? What would you say about ethnic neighborhoods in large cities (e.g. Brighton Beach) and people who live in those neighborhoods? Would you consider them as a reasonable alternative for those who can only afford relocation within the U.S. but not abroad?
You can run away from America, but you CAN'T run away from yourself.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: If not abroad, where in America?..

Post by S_Parc »

skeptic wrote:Winston once mentioned (and I can reluctantly attest to it) that NYC has more quality women?
You're joking, right?

NYC has the nastiest east coast urban women, outside of Boston. Many of them are total and complete b*tches, who expect to be wined and dined all over the place. In Boston, at least many of 'em pretend to be intellectual & "Ivy League"-like by attending some educational program. In the Big Apple, however, they walk around as if the world owes 'em a d*ck with or without anything to back 'em up.

My sister, already someone with innate histrionic personality disorder, had spent a year in NYC, when I was a teenager, and when she returned home to Boston, she was the queen of the world because she was in the Big Apple & saw *the Universe*. She'd gone from medium-high ego to World Empress, just after a single year in the City.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Yeah, I've been to NYC tons of times. Nothing much to shout about. It's cool yeah, and I loved going to concerts there (anywhere from Madison Square to tiny warehouses), but it's not like...it's not life-changing. I think going to the Baha'i temple in Israel was much more profound.

Yeah, I'm sure the women suck for the most part. But you can meet cool chicks at concerts. Even real nice ones...at punk shows.
Maker55
Junior Poster

Post by Maker55 »

I've heard good things about Arizona from some of the HA members.
You're where you're at in life because of your thoughts.

What you think about the most is what you will eventually manifest in your life.
bennandsarah
Freshman Poster

Post by bennandsarah »

I had to add here -- i've spent about 30 years in nyc -- and yes, sex and the city pervades the minds of many generation y's , and even x's. BUT -- if you happen to be an artsy person -- art-acting-comedy-dancing-singing-theatre etc etc......i can attest to this -- it becomes very easy - with some exceptions - to meet women. i can easily meet girls when acting. but many are flakier than grandma's crust. every now and then i meet a kindred spirit. now say you're in the finance industry -- than s_parc nailed it. so i guess what i'm saying is there are some nice pockets of opportunity.
It wasn't like this in the 1980's and early 1990's -- that's for sure bud.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

I'm not well-traveled enough to make a detailed analysis of all the regions/cities of the USA, but here are some general, established things I can tell you:

1) Generally, the further east you go, the better female-to-male ratios you'll find. Cities like New York, Atlanta and Chicago have surpluses of single women; San Diego, Denver and Seattle have surpluses of single men.

2) Big cities have the most single attractive women, especially at their urban cores there is a lot of casual dating, hooking-up, testing the waters, people marry later. This “dating sceneâ€￾ drops off as you get further out into the suburbs even around the biggest cities. People in suburbs, smaller cities and small towns marry sooner. In mid-size cities such as Milwaukee or Albuquerque, pickins get slim after the age of 22-25 and if you’re in a small town, you’ll be limited to divorced single moms and fat hoes.

3) New england and the pacific northwest have the highest percentages of cold, bitchy feminist women. Makes sense, since these are just about the most liberal and most white/anglo regions of the country. I've heard that Boston and Seattle can be pretty depressing.

4) For all the bashing of them, New York and Los Angeles are probably far from being the worst places in America to get a woman. I lived in LA myself for several years, I met and dated a variety of women around there: good, bad, ugly, feminist, feminine, Christian, secular, natives, FOBs, etc, etc. A lot of hot asians and latinas; and I can confirm that *as a whole* So Cal girls are definitely more thin, attractive and stylish than the rest of the country. But really, when you're in a metropolis that big, you’ll meet all types of women.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

fightforlove wrote:3) New england and the pacific northwest have the highest percentages of cold, bitchy feminist women. Makes sense, since these are just about the most liberal and most white/anglo regions of the country. I've heard that Boston and Seattle can be pretty depressing.
Well, Seattle's also got a near perma-overcast which certainly doesn't help. And yeah, I'd heard that everyone there has a bad attitude. It's almost like the whole town is living in an Alice in Chain or Nirvana song about depression and isolation. And BTW, both Layne Staley and Kurt Colbain had committed suicide in Seattle. Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder, however, are still 'Alive' :wink:

The Boston area, however, has a glimmer of hope. For one, the weather is always varying: snow, rain, sunshine, overcast, wind but with minimal hurricanes, tornadoes, or earthquakes.

There are a few Cambodian and Brazilian diasporas, where women aren't complete b*tches. But even if you don't find a GF there, it's a good place to network, if you ever want to later travel to SE Asia or Brazil & actually meet ppl there, with family/friend associations in Massachusetts. It certainly helped my Brazilian ex-GF get comfortable here, when she was working/training in Boston, because there were plenty of Portuguese speakers around.

On the other hand, many highly educated women in Massachusetts are completely worthless. You either marry the "right one" in undergrad or it's over.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

bennandsarah wrote:now say you're in the finance industry -- than s_parc nailed it.
I think it's something like Bowling for a banker at Bowling Green.

AB discussion thread

onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I like upper New England most. Vermont is my favorite, then Maine and New Hampshire. It's very cheap in New Hampshire and Maine, but few jobs. Women were pretty nice in Vermont, not as much in NH, but still nice. Vermont was different, though, I walked into a thrift store and the female clerk my age actually talked to me, and spent like 5-10 minutes writing down directions for me. People were pretty nice there. There's a good libertarianish kinda vibe going on. Some of the people are "artsy" and "intellectual" sort of people, but at the same time it those people don't have the snobby vibe they do here. Not too much crime. Really low rates of crime. Liberal gun laws if you're into that sort of thing. Vermont has high taxes, Maine and NH I think relatively low.

It's cold, though. Not too much infastructure either. I think VT only has one highway. You have to actually "go to town" literally. Like spend like 20-30 minutes going to your nearest town to get groceries or whatever. The only positive is relatively little to no traffic, for example my car in Vermont got 29mpg, as all the driving was 50mph forever with almost no stops. Here in CT, it gets like 21 mixed city/highway. Some people would say it's boring, which it probably is if you like going to clubs and whatnot. Me personally, I like hiking and being outdoors, and Vermont and NH have a ton of that. It's nice and peaceful there.

Basically my plan is to have a place there, preferably Vermont, but Maine or New Hampshire would work, too, and have a place abroad somewhere, too. Houses in VT are usually over 100K, but you can find livable places in New Hampshire and Maine for not too much. Maine even has lots of prefab houses (not quite trailers) for like 20-30K on some land, sometimes waterfront land. Unzoned land (usually for hunting land) is still like 1K per acre in all the states last I checked. If you wanted an offgrid property, you'd be good.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

onethousandknives wrote:I like upper New England most. Vermont is my favorite, then Maine and New Hampshire. It's very cheap in New Hampshire and Maine, but few jobs. Women were pretty nice in Vermont, not as much in NH, but still nice. Vermont was different, though, I walked into a thrift store and the female clerk my age actually talked to me, and spent like 5-10 minutes writing down directions for me. People were pretty nice there. There's a good libertarianish kinda vibe going on. Some of the people are "artsy" and "intellectual" sort of people, but at the same time it those people don't have the snobby vibe they do here. Not too much crime. Really low rates of crime. Liberal gun laws if you're into that sort of thing. Vermont has high taxes, Maine and NH I think relatively low.

It's cold, though. Not too much infastructure either. I think VT only has one highway. You have to actually "go to town" literally. Like spend like 20-30 minutes going to your nearest town to get groceries or whatever. The only positive is relatively little to no traffic, for example my car in Vermont got 29mpg, as all the driving was 50mph forever with almost no stops. Here in CT, it gets like 21 mixed city/highway. Some people would say it's boring, which it probably is if you like going to clubs and whatnot. Me personally, I like hiking and being outdoors, and Vermont and NH have a ton of that. It's nice and peaceful there.

Basically my plan is to have a place there, preferably Vermont, but Maine or New Hampshire would work, too, and have a place abroad somewhere, too. Houses in VT are usually over 100K, but you can find livable places in New Hampshire and Maine for not too much. Maine even has lots of prefab houses (not quite trailers) for like 20-30K on some land, sometimes waterfront land. Unzoned land (usually for hunting land) is still like 1K per acre in all the states last I checked. If you wanted an offgrid property, you'd be good.
I've been thinking that region [VT,NH,ME] of the country might be good for ghosting; a bit different from the goals of most others, here.
Anyway, glad to see someone write more about it.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Teal Lantern wrote:
onethousandknives wrote:I like upper New England most. Vermont is my favorite, then Maine and New Hampshire. It's very cheap in New Hampshire and Maine, but few jobs. Women were pretty nice in Vermont, not as much in NH, but still nice. Vermont was different, though, I walked into a thrift store and the female clerk my age actually talked to me, and spent like 5-10 minutes writing down directions for me. People were pretty nice there. There's a good libertarianish kinda vibe going on. Some of the people are "artsy" and "intellectual" sort of people, but at the same time it those people don't have the snobby vibe they do here. Not too much crime. Really low rates of crime. Liberal gun laws if you're into that sort of thing. Vermont has high taxes, Maine and NH I think relatively low.

I've been thinking that region [VT,NH,ME] of the country might be good for ghosting; a bit different from the goals of most others, here.
Anyway, glad to see someone write more about it.
Groceries are more expensive in all those states, btw. And this is saying a lot because I live in CT. For cheap stuff in general, the South is good. The South is a really mixed bag. In some ways it's more traditional, in other ways it's just trash. Really really poor. Overall I'd say upper New England gives you all the benefits of living down south without the drawbacks. I mean some people say the people of New England are snobby in general, but compared to CT, all the people up there were amazing.

Maine especially is cheap cheap cheap. I found 2 house lots for $5000 (not each, for both!), but they were in a town on the border of New Brunswick with 1500 people, 1/3 speaking French.

http://www.thefourthpath.com/
BTW, I met this guy up in New Hampshire.
gibraltar
Freshman Poster

Post by gibraltar »

Florida. Tons of immigrants live their and still retain their traditional way of culture.

Plenty of hot in shape women and lots of sunshine. Of course, you need to find a creative way to make money because most corporations base themselves out of bigger metropolisies like NYC, Boston, etc.

Florida hands down.
Escape America Before It's too late! Check out my new website -> http://www.expatkings.com

My books on Amazon: Rio de Janeiro for Beginners | Best Countries for Black Men
clowny
Freshman Poster

Post by clowny »

Fort Lauderdale
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

gibraltar wrote:Florida. Tons of immigrants live their and still retain their traditional way of culture.

Plenty of hot in shape women and lots of sunshine. Of course, you need to find a creative way to make money because most corporations base themselves out of bigger metropolisies like NYC, Boston, etc.

Florida hands down.
I have heard guys who live in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale say that the women there are snobby, rude, unfriendly and only date guys who make lot's of money.

Miami is rated as having the rudest drivers in the US. Also, there a lot more single men than single women in Miami and Orlando so the ratios are not in a man's favor. I was talking to a guy that used to live in Miami and he told me whenever he went to bars and clubs, he estimates there were 2 men for every 1 woman! :shock:

I was thinking of relocating to Florida but maybe it's not such a good idea.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

What are the people in Alaska like?
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -