Autism and Masculinity

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Brazor wrote:Not everyone is temperamentally suited for homeschooling. The school system is still the most efficient way to transmit knowledge to students.
Well, I believe that the school system is good for certain stereotypes: the All-American sports star (a.k.a NCAA wannabe type), the all sorority b*tch society (this includes the dizzy secretaries as well as the femi-nazis like my sister, etc), or the political rising star hob nobber (i.e. Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, etc), or the absolute followers/wage slaves in society, who do as they're told and have slivers of the aforementioned groups but aren't dominant in any category.

Those who don't conform to the above, should home school, even if they're not naturally academically talented. For that, they need to regular submit writing samples and assignments, for an outsider to grade and critique.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

When my father was young, this is how Taiwanese schools did "speech therapy". Students who had trouble speaking, or failed oral exams, were required to line up and insert marbles into their mouths, then practice speech. If the teacher did not like how you speak, he or she will slap you across your cheek, sending you to the ground and spilling the marbles across the floor. The student is required to pick up the marbles immediately, wash them, put them back into their mouth, and continue with the lesson. The teachers did not care if you were an "introvert" or "shy", you simply have problem, and they're there to cure you of your problem, until you perform to their satisfaction.

When I was attending elementary school in TW, we had no such thing as "attention deficient disorder". If you couldn't pay attention and fail in your classwork, the teacher will line you up in the hallway, make you hold out your hand, then hit your hand with a rod. We did have some strict rules on physical punishment, teachers were not permitted to hit "vital organs" for obvious reasons. But we had no such thing as ADD or ADD treatment, you simply get smacked again and again until you get a passing score. If you have trouble understanding the lessons, you put in double or triple the effort, attend after-school tutoring or cram schools until you "get it". Otherwise, you get the rod. Kids learn real quick how to sit up straight and concentrate.

I'd also note that back then, public education was 1-9, and you had to pass an exam to get into HS. So unless if you get a passing grand and score high enough on the HS entrance exam, you don't get to attend normal high schools. Those who do get into HS must pass another more difficult exam to get into college, or get shipped off to the military for 2-3 year mandatory service. Life in the military is even more disciplined, and those with disciplinary problems are punished severely and made to serve additional time (determined by military court) in the army. Dissidents had no voice under martial law during that era. The author Bo Yang was sentence to jail for 12 years for translating a Popey comic strip that was deemed offensive to the KMT leadership.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

momopi wrote: If the teacher did not like how you speak, he or she will slap you across your cheek, sending you to the ground and spilling the marbles across the floor. The student is required to pick up the marbles immediately, wash them, put them back into their mouth, and continue with the lesson. The teachers did not care if you were an "introvert" or "shy", you simply have problem, and they're there to cure you of your problem, until you perform to their satisfaction.
Yeah, but that Gulag style is totally unnecessary. In today's America, you can get an undergraduate degree by the age of 17 or 18, if you so choose. Thus, why the whip?

Instead, prep the kids to be efficient self-learners, exam takers, and essay writers, and then, let 'em loose onto college courses between ages 12 and 18. The good ones, like myself, will swim rather quickly and the fools, like my sister, will drop out and marry a useless guy, which she did anyways, going through school the old fashion way.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

Brazor
Freshman Poster

Post by Brazor »

My guess is that even for a lot of non-conformists who know about public schools, they're still going to send their kids there anyway.

The fact is, schools are still the most practical, convenient option for most parents. That's not an endorsement of public schools, that's just a reality.

It's not a matter of being naturally academically talented or not, or even being non-conformist. It's a matter of convenience. Parents who have the time, inclination, and devotion to homeschool should do it. But most parents, even those who know what kind of society we live in today, will probably rely on the schools to educate their kids. Again, that's something for a lot of people here to think about before having kids.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

No Brazor, not in America. Not after it nearly killed me. I'd only maybe do it in another country, someplace less sterile.

It's a matter of child safety.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Public schools in America are morally toxic, promote feminism and homosexuality, and are filled with relatively cruel people (bullying increases every year). Peer pressure and immoral students are bad examples and can cause good people to get depressed.
clowny
Freshman Poster

Post by clowny »

zboy1 wrote:
abcdavid01 wrote:Heh. I watched that film many times as a kid...

Yeah, I should have been homeschooled.
I think a lot of kids would benefit from "homeschooling," and when looking at it from an adult perspective: not only do you get your kids away from the indoctrination centers of government schools, but your children will be spared from the online and in-person bullying, and teen suicides and rapes, that is endemic in the US/Canada right now.
If your child doesn't go to school and have some exposure to bullying, they will not be equipped to defend themselves when they enter the workforce.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

clowny wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
abcdavid01 wrote:Heh. I watched that film many times as a kid...

Yeah, I should have been homeschooled.
I think a lot of kids would benefit from "homeschooling," and when looking at it from an adult perspective: not only do you get your kids away from the indoctrination centers of government schools, but your children will be spared from the online and in-person bullying, and teen suicides and rapes, that is endemic in the US/Canada right now.
If your child doesn't go to school and have some exposure to bullying, they will not be equipped to defend themselves when they enter the workforce.
I disagree. Why is it, home-schooled kids do very well in College? They seem to adjust very well in the real world:

Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/0 ... 62425.html

Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162- ... n-college/

Homeschooling And Socialization
http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/artic ... ialization
The social benefits of homeschooling

But if homeschooling is not what people imagine it to be, then what is it? Homeschooling affords children many wonderful opportunities to socialize without all the negative de-socializing experiences that children in traditional schools often encounter. Media coverage of bullying, teasing, gangs, cliques, violence, physical and emotional abuse in public schools is abundant. Patrick Farenga, former publisher of Growing Without Schooling and co-author of Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book of Homeschooling, says, "I am amazed how people think this type of socialization is the best we can offer children. 'It's the real world,' is a sad, and wrong, response."

Homeschooled children have equal, if not more, opportunities to participate in meaningful socialization. Unlike the public perception of homeschoolers trapped at home with nothing to do and no one to interact with, "Homeschoolers are at each other's houses, playing, gathering in parks, meeting for classes in churches, homes, and public buildings, going on outings and field trips together to museums, zoos, other cities and towns, planetariums, bakeries, concerts, shows, plays, and workshops, sitting on riverbanks having talks with close friends, playing on soccer teams, rehearsing plays, having parties, painting murals in the community, volunteering, and much more. They learn both in and out of the home, at all hours of the day," Gathercole explains.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

clowny wrote:
zboy1 wrote:but your children will be spared from the online and in-person bullying, and teen suicides and rapes, that is endemic in the US/Canada right now.
I don't know about you but if a grown adult takes a swing at me ... he'll be facing a judge or my attorney for an assault/battery and/or harassment suit. The key is to use your arms/legs for defensive postures but not to hit back, if at all possible. I've never experienced a single bullying event, after the age of 10. Before then, 11-14 year olds were attempting to show off to each other, how tough they were, by taking it out on a preteen... yeah, real tough losers. Thus, schoolyard bullies are not all powerful presences in the real world because adults are not allowed to legally push/shove one another. And finally, as for the workplace, ppl ostracize much more than bully. And that one is easy, if one's fully ostracized then it's time to start looking for new work.

AB discussion thread

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Clowny, my dad was bullied at work, so he quit and started his own law firm. I just want to avoid that shit...a priori.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:Clowny, my dad was bullied at work, so he quit and started his own law firm. I just want to avoid that shit...a priori.
Dave, your dad was insulted, not bullied. Yes, grown ups insult, put down, and play dirty corporate tricks. End result, you either get sacked or you quit. If a partner took a swing at him, that partner would have to settle out of court or be facing the DA's office.

AB discussion thread

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Well maybe it's somewhere in between. I'm pretty sure my dad was threatened with physical violence.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

S_Parc wrote:
momopi wrote: If the teacher did not like how you speak, he or she will slap you across your cheek, sending you to the ground and spilling the marbles across the floor. The student is required to pick up the marbles immediately, wash them, put them back into their mouth, and continue with the lesson. The teachers did not care if you were an "introvert" or "shy", you simply have problem, and they're there to cure you of your problem, until you perform to their satisfaction.
Yeah, but that Gulag style is totally unnecessary. In today's America, you can get an undergraduate degree by the age of 17 or 18, if you so choose. Thus, why the whip?
It's methods and ideology from a different generation.

Actually, I went to Catholic school first (in TW) before transferring to public school. In Catholic School the school master simply placed his hand on your head gently to get you to pay attention to him immediately. At public school the teacher imposed strict discipline by the rod. I don't think I ever got much religious indoctrination at Catholic School, but in public school we were heavily indoctrinated with nationalist political ideology.

When I moved to the US, it was interesting to hear a role reversal, where Catholic schools in the US were known to be strict and the public schools were lax. I barely had any homework and went fishing almost every day.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:Well maybe it's somewhere in between. I'm pretty sure my dad was threatened with physical violence.
The last time I'd seen an adult, physically threaten another one [ not just talking trash or being a pr*ck ], that person was placed in the back of a police cruiser.

What goes on in school yards and in the hallways, like clubbing someone with a hockey stick (which happened to me, BTW), isn't permitted by law between adults.

AB discussion thread

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Which is pretty ridiculous and backwards if you think about it.