Engagement Rings

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Engagement Rings

Post by Tsar »

Diamonds have been marketed as a precious gemstone and a rare gemstone. That is a fallacy. Russia has trillions of carats and enough to flood the market making even the highest quality diamonds cheap. The DeBeers Cartel controls and manipulates most of the other diamond producing mines. There is no free market in diamonds. The resale market for diamonds is very low. There are rarer and more precious stones. I read somewhere that many diamonds, especially high quality diamonds are sent to repositories.

Diamonds are a symbol of wealth but why? In the distant past there were only a few select mines in the world that produced diamonds. Things changed and it's price should have become close to zero just like fiat. Now it's just a marketing scam designed to create perceived wealth and value.

Is it only Western Women that demand a diamond engagement ring or do women everywhere in the world expect a diamond engagement ring or diamonds? What about demanding gold or platinum engagement ring?

Wouldn't the money be better used if it went towards an engagement ring with a gemstone with more value? Diamonds are one of the least valuable gemstones in real terms.

Young couples can't afford gold or platinum engagement rings, and diamonds are a waste of money. Wouldn't an attractive and reasonably priced engagement ring be best for young couples? Such as a silver and garnet engagement ring? If the money could be used for them to become established wouldn't that be the better choice?

In the past women didn't expect men to spend months of savings on a ring. They would be happy with a nice ring, a good husband, and knowing he would give a stable home. Once they were established and he had more money then more expensive jewelry would come, and maybe an upgrade ring for an anniversary.

http://www.wisebread.com/the-greatest-s ... d-in-blood

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

http://welcometomysoapbox.blogspot.com/ ... -scam.html
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Diamond rings are a strictly a product of western culture and a symbol of how submissive and brainwashed western men have become, the rest of mankind has no use for them.

I got married last year and didn't have enough money for rings so my Filipina volunteered to melt down some of her jewelry then she had the goldsmith make a gold band for both of us, no diamonds required. I didn't pay one cent for a ring with my Filipina but forked out $1600 for my ex and we got divorced anyway. Diamond rings are what keeps the entire pawn industry alive.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Taco wrote:Diamond rings are a strictly a product of western culture and a symbol of how submissive and brainwashed western men have become, the rest of mankind has no use for them.

I got married last year and didn't have enough money for rings so my Filipina volunteered to melt down some of her jewelry then she had the goldsmith make a gold band for both of us, no diamonds required. I didn't pay one cent for a ring with my Filipina but forked out $1600 for my ex and we got divorced anyway. Diamond rings are what keeps the entire pawn industry alive.
I think that rings, like any other purchase, are a matter of personal beliefs and taste. I have no problem with a guy who says he doesn't want to buy an engagement ring or a guy who buys one with a diamond. To each his own - I would not find fault in either.

What I do find fault in is if someone is told there is a formula for what he "has" to do. That is typical of Western standards.

I like Taco's idea, but I doubt that most Filipinas have enough gold lying around to melt down and make a couple rings. The good news is that most Filipinas are simple enough so as not to worry much about how much you might spend on a ring.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Diamond engagement rings are the perfect scam because it still works when the victims realize they have been scammed. Men still buy them because they are pathetic manginas following the orders of their vile pig fiances. Western pig females still want them because the important thing is not how much they are worth but how much the man paid for them. This gives them the opportunity to hold them under the noses of other pig females and say the equivalent of "Look how much some clown paid to f**k me once in a blue moon. My snatch is worth more that yours, ngaa ngaa nga ngaa ngaa". Just another way in which the Jews have one over on the rest of Western society.
Andrewww
Freshman Poster

Post by Andrewww »

Yea I read about the whole diamond cartel back in university, it's stupid how people pay so much for a piece of coal. But then again many men pay huge amounts of money for p***y which is even more common than diamonds.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Yeah, I kind of knew this, but I never gave thought that it was less of a thing abroad. That's great. Another example of how outside the West it's less needlessly consumptive. Thanks Tsar.
GemPundit
Freshman Poster

Re: Engagement Rings

Post by GemPundit »

I totally agree with you that it's hard to afford a diamond ring for young couples, but still, we can not deny that a diamond has its own beauty and one of the rarest crystal in the world.

And you can buy diamond rings at an affordable price @ GemPundit (to visit @ GemPundit just Google "GemPundit").
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I remember chatting with this girl who got married. She told me that a man should spend at least $5000 on a ring. Then later on she got divorced. I figure that she was typical, with a very feminist mindset. She was republican, too. And she actually believed that Iraq had WMD and that the Bush admin was hiding it for reasons of national security (I digress!!).
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Great comments here :D

The simping is real folks, and it's not confined to the West. Introducing, The Guy With No Balls:

1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?