Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Why do strip malls/offices feel gloomy/depressing/soulless?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Cornfed » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Ghost wrote:A big part of the problem. What cut it in the past doesn't cut it anymore. Guys like the Devil's Dog are stuck in the past and operate like nothing has changed. Qualities like intelligence and morals are often liabilities in this society. Success with women often means being human scum. Success in the workplace often means being a sociopath. The goalposts keep moving, and the demands keep getting more and more absurd. So more and more young men drop out. The smarter of them seeking escape and a form of asylum abroad; many more just going their own ways at home and dropping out of the rigged game. And then older guys like Devil come out of the woodwork and try to shame young men into risking their asses so that someone will keep paying into the corrupt system. And this is ironic as well - accusing the young men of feeling entitleed when guys like him feel entitled to keep benefiting off the backs of the youth. It's a bad deal and they see that shit a mile away.

Guys like Devil can kick and scream and act like spoiled kids all they want, but we know better. Acting like an idiot does not, in fact, get you your way.

Yes, older Western men behave a lot like women trying to snag a mangina husband. Unable to offer the young men they want to keep slaving for them any kind of square deal they respond to their potential slaves walking off the plantation with ever more delusional shaming tactics, which of course net them less and less return over time. Then again, I suppose old Western men ARE essentially women - physically enfeebled, no testosterone, helplessly dependent on others etc. I'm so glad they are all likely to be euthanized in the near future.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby eurobrat » Wed May 01, 2013 12:20 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby Devil Dog » Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 am

eurobrat wrote:
Ghost wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
Devil Dog wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
abcdavid01 wrote:Not much, that's fair. I know full well I could leave now. I just want to put effort into online business now since I'm still somewhat in the starting phase. If it works out, great, all the more reason to leave. If not, I'll accept that after a time and I'll use my remaining assets to leave as well. So I'm just wanting to put the effort in first and if it succeeds or fails I'll leave either way...just kind of want to see the outcome before leaving though.

I would just get going, you're waiting time and missing out on the best years of your life man. There's always time to come back and work. The USA isn't going anywhere.

David doesn't work. Any kind of work which he is qualified to do is far beneath a man of his stature. His father is a sellout attorney. David is critical of his parents but he accepts the crumbs at their table.

He has a rich inner life. He thinks about the relative merits of different forms of government. He thinks about expatting. He thinks about designing robots to work in mines. He thinks about what mommy is cooking for dinner tonight.

He is still somewhat in the starting phase of generating online income. That is the same phase he was in a few months ago. He hasn't done anything yet, but he is thinking about it.

I am a little shocked at the level of entitlement in today's youth here in America. It's a little dissapointing when comparing them to other countries youth these days.

Being intelligent these days doesn't cut it.

A big part of the problem. What cut it in the past doesn't cut it anymore. Guys like the Devil's Dog are stuck in the past and operate like nothing has changed. Qualities like intelligence and morals are often liabilities in this society. Success with women often means being human scum. Success in the workplace often means being a sociopath. The goalposts keep moving, and the demands keep getting more and more absurd. So more and more young men drop out. The smarter of them seeking escape and a form of asylum abroad; many more just going their own ways at home and dropping out of the rigged game. And then older guys like Devil come out of the woodwork and try to shame young men into risking their asses so that someone will keep paying into the corrupt system. And this is ironic as well - accusing the young men of feeling entitleed when guys like him feel entitled to keep benefiting off the backs of the youth. It's a bad deal and they see that shit a mile away.

Guys like Devil can kick and scream and act like spoiled kids all they want, but we know better. Acting like an idiot does not, in fact, get you your way.

It's been like that for every generation dude. Yes this last one was a little severe, but you could say old men like Walt Disney took advantage of the baby boomers. Steve Jobs took advantage of Gen X and Y.

It's always been like that, older and more knowledgeable people have more resources and the know how to turn nothing into something. It's not necessarily about exploitation but more about hard work and persistence.

But getting out there and not trying anything at all won't help you a single bit.

Self reliance is not a popular concept on HA. Anything which doesn't come easily for them is either impossible to attain or is not worth working for because it is part of the corrupt system.

I blame my generation, but not at all in the sense that the HA crowd does. I think that too many parents of my generation overindulged their children. When those special little snowflakes run into a little bit of adversity they don't know how to handle it. Whether the problem is educational, social or in the world of work any difficulty is insurmountable. No toughness whatsoever.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Postby eurobrat » Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby eurobrat » Wed May 01, 2013 2:23 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby eurobrat » Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 am

Devil Dog wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
Ghost wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
Devil Dog wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
abcdavid01 wrote:Not much, that's fair. I know full well I could leave now. I just want to put effort into online business now since I'm still somewhat in the starting phase. If it works out, great, all the more reason to leave. If not, I'll accept that after a time and I'll use my remaining assets to leave as well. So I'm just wanting to put the effort in first and if it succeeds or fails I'll leave either way...just kind of want to see the outcome before leaving though.

I would just get going, you're waiting time and missing out on the best years of your life man. There's always time to come back and work. The USA isn't going anywhere.

David doesn't work. Any kind of work which he is qualified to do is far beneath a man of his stature. His father is a sellout attorney. David is critical of his parents but he accepts the crumbs at their table.

He has a rich inner life. He thinks about the relative merits of different forms of government. He thinks about expatting. He thinks about designing robots to work in mines. He thinks about what mommy is cooking for dinner tonight.

He is still somewhat in the starting phase of generating online income. That is the same phase he was in a few months ago. He hasn't done anything yet, but he is thinking about it.

I am a little shocked at the level of entitlement in today's youth here in America. It's a little dissapointing when comparing them to other countries youth these days.

A big part of the problem. What cut it in the past doesn't cut it anymore. Guys like the Devil's Dog are stuck in the past and operate like nothing has changed. Qualities like intelligence and morals are often liabilities in this society. Success with women often means being human scum. Success in the workplace often means being a sociopath. The goalposts keep moving, and the demands keep getting more and more absurd. So more and more young men drop out. The smarter of them seeking escape and a form of asylum abroad; many more just going their own ways at home and dropping out of the rigged game. And then older guys like Devil come out of the woodwork and try to shame young men into risking their asses so that someone will keep paying into the corrupt system. And this is ironic as well - accusing the young men of feeling entitleed when guys like him feel entitled to keep benefiting off the backs of the youth. It's a bad deal and they see that shit a mile away.

It's been like that for every generation dude. Yes this last one was a little severe, but you could say old men like Walt Disney took advantage of the baby boomers. Steve Jobs took advantage of Gen X and Y.

It's always been like that, older and more knowledgeable people have more resources and the know how to turn nothing into something. It's not necessarily about exploitation but more about hard work and persistence.

But getting out there and not trying anything at all won't help you a single bit.

Self reliance is not a popular concept on HA. Anything which doesn't come easily for them is either impossible to attain or is not worth working for because it is part of the corrupt system.

I blame my generation, but not at all in the sense that the HA crowd does. I think that too many parents of my generation overindulged their children. When those special little snowflakes run into a little bit of adversity they don't know how to handle it. Whether the problem is educational, social or in the world of work any difficulty is insurmountable. No toughness whatsoever.

Seeing as this place is called Happier Abroad, we are obviously working for a future outside of the West. We are looking to avoid the corrupt system in the West as much as possible. The younger of us on here have varying levels of what we've done here at home. And as I said before, self-reliance is producing everything for yourself (or a family or community producing its own things, like growing food.) And America did used to have that. That is the real truth of what American self-reliance was.

The kind of "self-reliance" you are talking about is fake and completely dependent on the state of the economy and society. When you were young, you had a much better deal to work with. I'm sure you are within living memory of the 'living wage' or 'family wage.' Nothing like that exists anymore except for a lucky few. Most Americans are making a pittance and getting nowhere for their hard work.

What's worth working for now is escaping.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Wed May 01, 2013 5:17 pm

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed May 01, 2013 5:37 pm

A real life modern example of self-reliance. Thanks Momopi. I'm guessing Devil does approximately....none of that stuff.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Devil Dog » Wed May 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Ghost wrote:
Devil Dog wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
Ghost wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
Devil Dog wrote:
eurobrat wrote:

Seeing as this place is called Happier Abroad, we are obviously working for a future outside of the West. We are looking to avoid the corrupt system in the West as much as possible. The younger of us on here have varying levels of what we've done here at home. And as I said before, self-reliance is producing everything for yourself (or a family or community producing its own things, like growing food.) And America did used to have that. That is the real truth of what American self-reliance was.

The kind of "self-reliance" you are talking about is fake and completely dependent on the state of the economy and society. When you were young, you had a much better deal to work with. I'm sure you are within living memory of the 'living wage' or 'family wage.' Nothing like that exists anymore except for a lucky few. Most Americans are making a pittance and getting nowhere for their hard work.

What's worth working for now is escaping.

You are giving your own dopey definition to the term self reliance.

Here is a real one: self-re·li·ance (s lf r -l ns). n. Reliance on one's own capabilities, judgment, or resources.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Devil Dog wrote:You are giving your own dopey definition to the term self reliance.

Here is a real one: self-re·li·ance (s lf r -l ns). n. Reliance on one's own capabilities, judgment, or resources.

The only way you can do that is to walk naked into the wilderness and live by foraging. Otherwise you are reliant on the efforts of others which are beyond you control to elicit. For example, if you take the money from a job and spend it on your upkeep, you are depending on someone employing you, the financial and regulatory authorities to make in worth their while to do so, others to maintain the infrastructure whereby they and the businesses you purchase products from can function etc. Hence you would be the helpless dependant of a huge global system. I suspect the confusion on your part is that you are arbitrarily narratizing some resources given to people by the system as "theirs" and others as "not theirs". For example, you probably regard any money and the stuff purchased therewith your corporate whore daughter "earns" by turning up at an office wearing tight clothing and sucking executive dick as "hers" (even though the mongers using her services are likely just useless parasites themselves stealing resources from the system) while you would regard, say, any welfare payments she received as being "not hers". Thus in an assessment of relative self-reliance your conclusion would be the opposite of reality, given that the average female welfare recipient would in fact be a lot more self reliant and adaptable than the average corporate whore.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Devil Dog » Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm

You little wimps want to quibble about definitions rather than discuss the issue.

How about we substitute the term "personal accountability" for "self reliance"?

Either way, my point is that that you don't have the guts or abilities to make anything happen, and you blame it on everyone and everything except yourselves.
Last edited by Devil Dog on Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 pm

Devil Dog wrote:How about we substitute the term "personal accountability" for "self reliance"?

OK make a thread and discuss it, starting with explaining exactly what you mean by it.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby eurobrat » Thu May 02, 2013 2:11 am

Last edited by eurobrat on Tue May 28, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby momopi » Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 pm

If you go on Costco or Walmart web sites today, you'd find numerous emergency food products, as well as "Non GMO Seed buckets". I scratch my head at the thought of my coworkers buying $2,000 rifle scopes and seed buckets. As if they're going to turn the small HOA lawns into organic tomato and cucumber gardens and guard it with their rifles in zombie apocalypse? To start, when I asked "what are you going to do when water stops running from the facet?", I get a blank stare. You gonna run to the local park lake with your bucket for water?

If you live in the suburbs, you can buy an older house with a bigger yard, build some elevated planting beds and grow some food. However by the time that you add up the cost of water, it'd have been cheaper to buy the produce from the supermarket. But between paying to water the lawn and paying to water your veggie garden, you're better off converting your backyard lawn into planting beds. Invest some money on soaker hoses and you might save some $$ on your water bill.

For the price of an expensive AR style rifle, you can buy a shotgun and have enough money left for 6 months of emergency food plus a couple water barrels. At local Walmart many ammo types are long sold out, but shotgun shells are still plenty. The shiny AR or AK looks nice but you can't eat it when you're hungry. I suppose you could hunt squirrels with it, but I hesitate to think what's left of the squirrel after being hit.

When buying emergency food, make sure it's edible with cold or room temperature water added. If it requires hot water, ask yourself how you're going to get hot water in an emergency situation. Yes you can buy a solar oven, but you'd be screwed on a cloudy/rainy day.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions