Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Why is job security so lousy in the US?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Why is job security so lousy in the US?

Postby lovelybunny » Thu May 02, 2013 1:08 am

They fire you as easily as they hire you in most jobs in the US. Compared to the rest of the world, it's horrible in the US In jamaica, in order to get fired, you'd have to literally be verbally or physically hostile to get fired. WHy the difference in the US? And if you're late, they throw yoiu out. In Jamaica, they just sock your pay. Why? WHy all the unnecessary long hours here too?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm







Postby ladislav » Thu May 02, 2013 5:07 am

There is no "why". It just is. I am now working here on a foreign contract. Otherwise, I would never work here at all.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 am

ladislav wrote:There is no "why". It just is. I am now working here on a foreign contract. Otherwise, I would never work here at all.


You'd never work for a US company or in the US?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby Think Different » Thu May 02, 2013 5:29 am

Job security in the US is some of the worst in the world. I've read it explained this way: the US government has never tolerated the growth of powerful and honest labor unions, like you find in Europe. Thus, the companies have always had the upper hand and never got away from the plantation-slave labor mentality.

In the US, they intentionally keep staffing low in order to increase their corporate profit margins. Recall that our vacation, benefits, health insurance (if you're lucky) come through your employer and not through the state, like in most other countries. So, by keeping staffing low, the companies save money on benefits, hiring costs, and can also grind the extra labor and long hours out of fewer employees. If you don't like it...? There are 1000s of other people that will gladly take your position and not complain. This is particularly true in the last 5 years since the US has been hit by this (in my opinion) intentionally generated great recession/depression.

Want to know more? http://americathegrimtruth.wordpress.com/
Think Different
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 am
Location: Germany

Postby greenly » Thu May 02, 2013 8:24 am

I would never work here at all.
greenly
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 am
Location: http://www.womencostume.co.uk/

Postby lovelybunny » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm

greenly wrote:I would never work here at all.


More and more people agree nowadays. What's the main reason why you wouldn't work here? Is it low pay? Bad workers?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Think Different wrote:Job security in the US is some of the worst in the world. I've read it explained this way: the US government has never tolerated the growth of powerful and honest labor unions, like you find in Europe. Thus, the companies have always had the upper hand and never got away from the plantation-slave labor mentality.

In the US, they intentionally keep staffing low in order to increase their corporate profit margins. Recall that our vacation, benefits, health insurance (if you're lucky) come through your employer and not through the state, like in most other countries. So, by keeping staffing low, the companies save money on benefits, hiring costs, and can also grind the extra labor and long hours out of fewer employees. If you don't like it...? There are 1000s of other people that will gladly take your position and not complain. This is particularly true in the last 5 years since the US has been hit by this (in my opinion) intentionally generated great recession/depression.

Want to know more? http://americathegrimtruth.wordpress.com/


Then is the best thing to just work, make money then move abroad? THe USD is worth so much in MANY COUNTRIES.
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby kai1275 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:05 pm

It's terrible no doubt, but what can you do? Just increase your skill sets and keep on moving.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby kai1275 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm

This world is so globalized, with the illuminati/international banking cabal elite running things, any decent country is going to end up like this. Invest in your skills so that they are forced to pay you alot no matter what. if your skills demand at least 6 figures, you should be good to go no matter what happens or where you may end up going.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby aozora13 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Think Different wrote:Job security in the US is some of the worst in the world. I've read it explained this way: the US government has never tolerated the growth of powerful and honest labor unions, like you find in Europe. Thus, the companies have always had the upper hand and never got away from the plantation-slave labor mentality.

In the US, they intentionally keep staffing low in order to increase their corporate profit margins. Recall that our vacation, benefits, health insurance (if you're lucky) come through your employer and not through the state, like in most other countries. So, by keeping staffing low, the companies save money on benefits, hiring costs, and can also grind the extra labor and long hours out of fewer employees. If you don't like it...? There are 1000s of other people that will gladly take your position and not complain. This is particularly true in the last 5 years since the US has been hit by this (in my opinion) intentionally generated great recession/depression.

Want to know more? http://americathegrimtruth.wordpress.com/


Think Different,

I am glad to see you still stop by HA sometimes. It has fallen in the last couple of years. I agree with the slave-labor mentality is big in many corporations. Benefits are pretty horrible and not many US companies are introducing horrible health plans. Some for example have high deductibles such as $1500 which unfortunately is the current best option but in my situation working for an IT company, I have only 3 weeks vacation (no sick leave), so realistically it is 2 weeks vacation with 1 week sick leave, high quality dental and as the insurance I had to get a private health insurance because the new health plan my company introduced totally screws over the employees. I know Italians also have high unemployment too. I think that most are going to richer EU countries. I know a guy who is from Italy I think Reggio Nell'Emilia and he said that he had to come to Vienna because of better opportunity. He has a nice life, speaks good Business level German. I am trying to look to go to do opportunities in South America. I am not sure but I will see.

Basically, with the way companies treat the employee, the employee usually would have to try to save as much income as possible and if you have a skill or a business idea, leave and go to another country to get out of the rat race. It is depressing about how much crap an employee can take from their employer. I am trying to hold out a little longer so I can get some IT certs and save more money before I leave. This country is soul crushing and I think that is why people should leave this country. Most people unfortunately will not because some honest reasons such as family (having children or sick parents); others because of debt and others scared because of family/friends discouraging them that it will get better in the US and/or fear of the unkown.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Postby Ghost » Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 pm

This country was changed into a country intended to benefit the corporations and government. "We the people" is a long dead concept. Surely, TPTB meant to makes this nation the greatest economic engine in the history of the planet. And that meant, by design, throwing away its humanity and peace, creating a culture of fear and profit-at-any-cost, and staffing the nation with sociopaths and psychopaths.

This is a great question and it defies any easy answer, but this is the essence of it I believe.

How did this sinister intention get brought to fruition though? Well, divide and conquer explains a lot, along with evil prospering because good men do nothing...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby kai1275 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

IT is the worst. I am an IT consultant. I don't think I have had health insurance most of my 10+ year career. These companies use us and ditch us after enough work or a project is done and there is no loyalty whatsoever. layoff and outsourcing is rampant. It's really hard to find a good permanent job in IT, and 9 times out of 10, it's going to have to be working directly for an technology company, like Microsoft, Cisco, Apple, NetAPP, etc. because you will be the "Product" not a Operational expense like at an oil company, but these jobs are super competitive and really hard to get.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby aozora13 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:08 pm

kai1275 wrote:IT is the worst. I am an IT consultant. I don't think I have had health insurance most of my 10+ year career. These companies use us and ditch us after enough work or a project is done and there is no loyalty whatsoever. layoff and outsourcing is rampant. It's really hard to find a good permanent job in IT, and 9 times out of 10, it's going to have to be working directly for an technology company, like Microsoft, Cisco, Apple, NetAPP, etc. because you will be the "Product" not a Operational expense like at an oil company, but these jobs are super competitive and really hard to get.


+1

I have only been working in IT for about 6 years. I was able to work briefly on a contract in Europe and realized that most benefits like 5 weeks off in Vienna plus state health care and dental (though for serious stuff you still pay a lot). No place is perfect but I think that US companies usually try to squeeze you for almost everything for a cheap cost. I work as a system adminstrator so I am trying to do my best to save. Yes working for a actual IT company and not a service IT company is a big difference. I believe if I can go into software development, I can at least get a chance but it is hard to change IT careers after so many years in support/maintanence work. The only 'perm' job in IT is most likely in the government. This can be with a government agency but the pay is well weak.. unless you get a higher position as a Team Lead which is good money but usually after awhile, most jobs in the government are good for sercurity but pay is low and paying for benefits is high.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Winston, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests