Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Why don't most Americans travel abroad nor have passports?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Why don't most Americans travel abroad nor have passports?

Postby lovelybunny » Fri May 03, 2013 2:20 am

Some don't even care to get passports. Why is that? Why don't they travel outside the US much? Some sources say only 30$ of them have passports, which is REALLY LOW. Is it because they have very few vacation days and are too stressed to travel? Do some simply not care?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm







Postby ***JP*** » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 am

Usually is because most americans think the US is the center of the universe and that the outside world is bad and poor. Part of the sad reality is that most americans don't even know where a certain country is because they don't know geography and have been raised to be ignorant about the world outside of the US.
***JP***
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Living happier abroad in Lithuania

Postby Taco » Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 am

Most American men are brainwashed zombies that still believe women in other countries are just as bad as American women, so they don't bother travelling. However, we know from reading your retarded posts this is not true.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby kai1275 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Several reasons:

1. Don't have the money (Europe is expensive)
2. American mindset that no other places have anything to offer that I cannot get here, except view/scenery. (Can be true sometimes)
3. We don't get government mandated Vacation time, like Germans would. Many Americans have to use their vacation hours for sick days, and many get none period!
4. America is HUGE. There is ALOT to see in our own country.
5. We don't save alot of money nowadays, so that makes it harder.
6. Many Americans are hooked on going up to "XXXX" for the weekend (which is 200-350miles in any direction) or some beach, cabin, Vegas, Austin, Riverboat Casinos, Atlantic City, Napa Valley, etc....
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Fri May 03, 2013 7:22 pm

kai1275 wrote:Several reasons:

1. Don't have the money (Europe is expensive)
2. American mindset that no other places have anything to offer that I cannot get here, except view/scenery. (Can be true sometimes)
3. We don't get government mandated Vacation time, like Germans would. Many Americans have to use their vacation hours for sick days, and many get none period!
4. America is HUGE. There is ALOT to see in our own country.
5. We don't save alot of money nowadays, so that makes it harder.
6. Many Americans are hooked on going up to "XXXX" for the weekend (which is 200-350miles in any direction) or some beach, cabin, Vegas, Austin, Riverboat Casinos, Atlantic City, Napa Valley, etc....


Could it also be because airfare is NOT subsidized much here in the US?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby aozora13 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Airfare is expensive in the EU as well. You can find sales for flights if you are smart and tend to look for bargins for flights. Of course, Americans have vacations as Kai mentioned. However, getting a passport may be getting more difficult in the future because of new meausres by the State Department trying to make the form to get one more difficult by asking crazy questions such as the names of the people who were at your birth and places that you lived many years and all the places that you were employed.

I am trying to at least take two vacations a year. Usually Europe is a little similar but I like learning about different cultures. Americans (if ignoring the State Department's crappy evaluation of countries) can travel to Mexico, central/South America for a reasonable price.

Most Americans are in debt (unfortunately true). Even when saving money, you have to pay for expensive things such as rent, transportation, food and/or medical related expenses.

I still do not understand about going out for the weekend. Now, if someone mentioned about flying to a place in South America for a weekend and come back on Monday that is better. I would like to take a couple vacations a year rather than be locked in a dreadful work cycle.

Kai, I am surprised you did not want to stay in China with your fiance. I guess it could be related to personal reasons and maybe you are still doing okay making an income in the US.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm

aozora13 wrote:Airfare is expensive in the EU as well. You can find sales for flights if you are smart and tend to look for bargins for flights. Of course, Americans have vacations as Kai mentioned. However, getting a passport may be getting more difficult in the future because of new meausres by the State Department trying to make the form to get one more difficult by asking crazy questions such as the names of the people who were at your birth and places that you lived many years and all the places that you were employed.

I am trying to at least take two vacations a year. Usually Europe is a little similar but I like learning about different cultures. Americans (if ignoring the State Department's crappy evaluation of countries) can travel to Mexico, central/South America for a reasonable price.

Most Americans are in debt (unfortunately true). Even when saving money, you have to pay for expensive things such as rent, transportation, food and/or medical related expenses.

I still do not understand about going out for the weekend. Now, if someone mentioned about flying to a place in South America for a weekend and come back on Monday that is better. I would like to take a couple vacations a year rather than be locked in a dreadful work cycle.

Kai, I am surprised you did not want to stay in China with your fiance. I guess it could be related to personal reasons and maybe you are still doing okay making an income in the US.


Stay working in DC. As a Black man in I.T. in 2k13, that is safest job market for you in the country. And try to stay in the governmental sector too.
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Postby Winston » Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 pm

kai1275 wrote:Several reasons:

1. Don't have the money (Europe is expensive)
2. American mindset that no other places have anything to offer that I cannot get here, except view/scenery. (Can be true sometimes)
3. We don't get government mandated Vacation time, like Germans would. Many Americans have to use their vacation hours for sick days, and many get none period!
4. America is HUGE. There is ALOT to see in our own country.
5. We don't save alot of money nowadays, so that makes it harder.
6. Many Americans are hooked on going up to "XXXX" for the weekend (which is 200-350miles in any direction) or some beach, cabin, Vegas, Austin, Riverboat Casinos, Atlantic City, Napa Valley, etc....


Another reason is fear. Americans are brought up to live in fear, especially fear of the unknown, which is what a foreign country is to them.

Ever hear of this joke:

“When the UN distributed this questionnaire:

‘What is your opinion on how to reduce food shortage to the rest of the world?’

The European replied: ‘What is shortage?’

The African replied: ‘What is food?’

The Chinese replied: ‘What is opinion?’

The American replied: ‘What is the rest of the world?’â€￾

Another one:

“What do you call someone who can speak two languages?
Bilingual

What do you call someone who can speak three languages?
Trilingual

What do you call someone who can speak only one language?
Americanâ€￾
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23579
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Moretorque » Fri May 03, 2013 11:01 pm

America is big and has everything in the world here geographically speaking and has been a massive frontier for everything for the last 200 years or so. Remember America was the new world just a couple centuries ago and was for the most part a pristine place to live and has just recently been turned into a shit box by man over the last 20 to 30 year's so the thought of looking for greener pasture's never really occurred to people until lately.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4149
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: Why don't most Americans travel abroad nor have passport

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:24 am

lovelybunny wrote:Some don't even care to get passports. Why is that? Why don't they travel outside the US much? Some sources say only 30$ of them have passports, which is REALLY LOW. Is it because they have very few vacation days and are too stressed to travel? Do some simply not care?


In 2007, from what I remember, it used to be a "whopping" 14% of all 330+M Americans having passports. 30% is one hell of an improvement. A lot of people in the DC-MD-NoVA brag about having passports from what I have seen on POF (when I used to be on there) and OK Cupid.
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Postby lovelybunny » Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 am

aozora13 wrote:Airfare is expensive in the EU as well. You can find sales for flights if you are smart and tend to look for bargins for flights. Of course, Americans have vacations as Kai mentioned. However, getting a passport may be getting more difficult in the future because of new meausres by the State Department trying to make the form to get one more difficult by asking crazy questions such as the names of the people who were at your birth and places that you lived many years and all the places that you were employed.

I am trying to at least take two vacations a year. Usually Europe is a little similar but I like learning about different cultures. Americans (if ignoring the State Department's crappy evaluation of countries) can travel to Mexico, central/South America for a reasonable price.

Most Americans are in debt (unfortunately true). Even when saving money, you have to pay for expensive things such as rent, transportation, food and/or medical related expenses.

I still do not understand about going out for the weekend. Now, if someone mentioned about flying to a place in South America for a weekend and come back on Monday that is better. I would like to take a couple vacations a year rather than be locked in a dreadful work cycle.

Kai, I am surprised you did not want to stay in China with your fiance. I guess it could be related to personal reasons and maybe you are still doing okay making an income in the US.


Well, if it's expensive in Europe to get airfare too, how do they still afford to travel more than Americans do?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby aozora13 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:34 am

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
aozora13 wrote:Airfare is expensive in the EU as well. You can find sales for flights if you are smart and tend to look for bargins for flights. Of course, Americans have vacations as Kai mentioned. However, getting a passport may be getting more difficult in the future because of new meausres by the State Department trying to make the form to get one more difficult by asking crazy questions such as the names of the people who were at your birth and places that you lived many years and all the places that you were employed.

I am trying to at least take two vacations a year. Usually Europe is a little similar but I like learning about different cultures. Americans (if ignoring the State Department's crappy evaluation of countries) can travel to Mexico, central/South America for a reasonable price.

Most Americans are in debt (unfortunately true). Even when saving money, you have to pay for expensive things such as rent, transportation, food and/or medical related expenses.

I still do not understand about going out for the weekend. Now, if someone mentioned about flying to a place in South America for a weekend and come back on Monday that is better. I would like to take a couple vacations a year rather than be locked in a dreadful work cycle.

Kai, I am surprised you did not want to stay in China with your fiance. I guess it could be related to personal reasons and maybe you are still doing okay making an income in the US.


Stay working in DC. As a Black man in I.T. in 2k13, that is safest job market for you in the country. And try to stay in the governmental sector too.


E, you are correct. There are still plenty of jobs in the area. Most the jobs besides programming jobs are weak in paying. I guess you mean stay in the government sector as in contract with a specific agency. Yeah, it depends since some agencies are reducing their contracts. There is still work for different contracts which means I can still go to another job early 2014 since my current job though not the best is a new job and I cannot leave because I need to try to stay in the company a little longer. The IT field is good if you do mid-level, senior positions in support areas or development. I think I can do that next year.

Back to the topic:

European pilots (info from a pilot friend) that they are paid better and flights are more expensive. Usually though flights to Asia, North Africa, Middle East is much cheaper than flying from America. Also people can make trips to many European or former Soviet bloc states cheaper than Americans. It is still not cheap but cheaper than what Americans pay for flights. Also America is far away from most countries in Europe and Asia. The only good cheaper flights are to the Caribbean and Central/South America compared to Europe.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 am

aozora13 wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
aozora13 wrote:Airfare is expensive in the EU as well. You can find sales for flights if you are smart and tend to look for bargins for flights. Of course, Americans have vacations as Kai mentioned. However, getting a passport may be getting more difficult in the future because of new meausres by the State Department trying to make the form to get one more difficult by asking crazy questions such as the names of the people who were at your birth and places that you lived many years and all the places that you were employed.

I am trying to at least take two vacations a year. Usually Europe is a little similar but I like learning about different cultures. Americans (if ignoring the State Department's crappy evaluation of countries) can travel to Mexico, central/South America for a reasonable price.

Most Americans are in debt (unfortunately true). Even when saving money, you have to pay for expensive things such as rent, transportation, food and/or medical related expenses.

I still do not understand about going out for the weekend. Now, if someone mentioned about flying to a place in South America for a weekend and come back on Monday that is better. I would like to take a couple vacations a year rather than be locked in a dreadful work cycle.

Kai, I am surprised you did not want to stay in China with your fiance. I guess it could be related to personal reasons and maybe you are still doing okay making an income in the US.


Stay working in DC. As a Black man in I.T. in 2k13, that is safest job market for you in the country. And try to stay in the governmental sector too.


E, you are correct. There are still plenty of jobs in the area. Most the jobs besides programming jobs are weak in paying. I guess you mean stay in the government sector as in contract with a specific agency. Yeah, it depends since some agencies are reducing their contracts. There is still work for different contracts which means I can still go to another job early 2014 since my current job though not the best is a new job and I cannot leave because I need to try to stay in the company a little longer. The IT field is good if you do mid-level, senior positions in support areas or development. I think I can do that next year.

Back to the topic:

European pilots (info from a pilot friend) that they are paid better and flights are more expensive. Usually though flights to Asia, North Africa, Middle East is much cheaper than flying from America. Also people can make trips to many European or former Soviet bloc states cheaper than Americans. It is still not cheap but cheaper than what Americans pay for flights. Also America is far away from most countries in Europe and Asia. The only good cheaper flights are to the Caribbean and Central/South America compared to Europe.


Then how do Europeans still manage to travel to the US/Canada and elsewhere more than Amrican do, despite the costly flights? Russians go all over the world. You'll see MANY of them in Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. What about this?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby kai1275 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 pm

aozora13 wrote:Airfare is expensive in the EU as well. You can find sales for flights if you are smart and tend to look for bargins for flights. Of course, Americans have vacations as Kai mentioned. However, getting a passport may be getting more difficult in the future because of new meausres by the State Department trying to make the form to get one more difficult by asking crazy questions such as the names of the people who were at your birth and places that you lived many years and all the places that you were employed.

I am trying to at least take two vacations a year. Usually Europe is a little similar but I like learning about different cultures. Americans (if ignoring the State Department's crappy evaluation of countries) can travel to Mexico, central/South America for a reasonable price.

Most Americans are in debt (unfortunately true). Even when saving money, you have to pay for expensive things such as rent, transportation, food and/or medical related expenses.

I still do not understand about going out for the weekend. Now, if someone mentioned about flying to a place in South America for a weekend and come back on Monday that is better. I would like to take a couple vacations a year rather than be locked in a dreadful work cycle.

Kai, I am surprised you did not want to stay in China with your fiance. I guess it could be related to personal reasons and maybe you are still doing okay making an income in the US.


Live in China? LMAO! If I was just fresh out of college like back in 07, I guess so for a little while......NAH! f**k that. If I don't have to live there, I would never live there. You visit China, never live there. Besides I make great money here and have my own large house and a nice car. No need for throwing that away.
kai1275
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests