Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Are Russians/Slavs like Hollywood versions of Americans?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Are Russians/Slavs like Hollywood versions of Americans?

Postby lovelybunny » Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Like, in Hollywood, you see bright smiling, friendly and open Americans who're wiling to be open and get to know you. In reality, real life Americans are the total opposite, but this website says in Russia, the people are like the Hollywood Americans you see. Is that true? That Russians, Poles, Bulgarians, etc. are firendly, outgoing and fun, like the Hollywood version of Americans you see? If Americans are stoic, closed and often rude, are Russians more friendly, kind and energetic than Americans?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm







Postby ladislav » Sat May 18, 2013 1:28 am

Yes, exactly. And my theory is that when the founders of Hollywood came to the US from Slavic countries ( they did), they found Americans to be just what you said.

They were disappointed and decided to recreate Russia ( Poland/Ukraine etc.) on the screen. So they created all these characters who acted Slavic.

Conversely, they made Slavic countries look Anglo Saxon- a projection. So, you have these dour Russians on TV and then people like Tom Cruise and Robin Williams, acting like real Slavs while portraying Americans.

They also created all these very blond, Aryan looking Jewish characters on TV to possibly dilute the Jewish look in the minds of the people. Or, maybe, they just couldn't find many that looked traditionally Jewish.

Smart!
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Sat May 18, 2013 4:21 am

ladislav wrote:Yes, exactly. And my theory is that when the founders of Hollywood came to the US from Slavic countries ( they did), they found Americans to be just what you said.

They were disappointed and decided to recreate Russia ( Poland/Ukraine etc.) on the screen. So they created all these characters who acted Slavic.

Conversely, they made Slavic countries look Anglo Saxon- a projection. So, you have these dour Russians on TV and then people like Tom Cruise and Robin Williams, acting like real Slavs while portraying Americans.

They also created all these very blond, Aryan looking Jewish characters on TV to possibly dilute the Jewish look in the minds of the people. Or, maybe, they just couldn't find many that looked traditionally Jewish.

Smart!


So if I went to Slavic nations like Ukraine, Belarus, etc., HOW would I be able to EXPERIENCE their energetic, fun behavior? And if present day Slavs like Russians, Serbians, etc. are the Hollywood versions of Americans, how come in THE US, they seem so shy and reserved? The ones I meet in the US seem more cold and unsmiling. What about that?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby Winston » Sat May 18, 2013 11:03 am

Here is a video of me laughing and joking around with two groups of young Russians. This will show you what they are like in real life. As you can see, the talking and laughter flows without inhibition or uptightness.

http://www.happierabroad.com/film.php#OpenRussians
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23568
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby ladislav » Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 am

So if I went to Slavic nations like Ukraine, Belarus, etc., HOW would I be able to EXPERIENCE their energetic, fun behavior?


You will experience it when you make friends with them.

Slavs like Russians, Serbians, etc. are the Hollywood versions of Americans, how come in THE US, they seem so shy and reserved? The ones I meet in the US seem more cold and unsmiling. What about that?

They are shy and reserved with people they don't know. Closed on the outside, warm and friendly on the inside. The same as French Canadians.
Plus they may have been harassed and are now cautious. And how do you expect them to behave in the US?

And Slavs in the USA are Americans. Anyone living in the US is an American. To one extent or another.

Hispanics in the US also look reserved and unsmiling. And Filipinos undergo a complete metamorphosis.

Hyphenated Americans are the exact opposite of what those people are in the home countries.

I have posted this before but I will show you again:

This is typical Slavic behavior from Ukraine. I have been to parties like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FIHoQ4r5Y

They are doing hip hop. And in daily life there with parties and all, it will be exactly like that.

America is all about work and making money. Not much else. The sooner you realize it the better. Achieve your practical goals in America and romantic goals some place else.

Because sure as heck, those romantic countries are not so willing to give you any practical opportunities. Or help you when you run out of money.

No Filipino, no Latin American, no Ukrainian ever gave me a job, helped me with money or ever done anything at all to help me. They are there when I have money or can provide fun, etc.

It was the Japanese, the Americans, the Aussies that were the most helpful. Now that I look back.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:51 pm

ladislav wrote:
So if I went to Slavic nations like Ukraine, Belarus, etc., HOW would I be able to EXPERIENCE their energetic, fun behavior?


You will experience it when you make friends with them.

Slavs like Russians, Serbians, etc. are the Hollywood versions of Americans, how come in THE US, they seem so shy and reserved? The ones I meet in the US seem more cold and unsmiling. What about that?

They are shy and reserved with people they don't know. Closed on the outside, warm and friendly on the inside. The same as French Canadians.
Plus they may have been harassed and are now cautious. And how do you expect them to behave in the US?

And Slavs in the USA are Americans. Anyone living in the US is an American. To one extent or another.

Hispanics in the US also look reserved and unsmiling. And Filipinos undergo a complete metamorphosis.

Hyphenated Americans are the exact opposite of what those people are in the home countries.

I have posted this before but I will show you again:

This is typical Slavic behavior from Ukraine. I have been to parties like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FIHoQ4r5Y

They are doing hip hop. And in daily life there with parties and all, it will be exactly like that.

America is all about work and making money. Not much else. The sooner you realize it the better. Achieve your practical goals in America and romantic goals some place else.

Because sure as heck, those romantic countries are not so willing to give you any practical opportunities. Or help you when you run out of money.

No Filipino, no Latin American, no Ukrainian ever gave me a job, helped me with money or ever done anything at all to help me. They are there when I have money or can provide fun, etc.

It was the Japanese, the Americans, the Aussies that were the most helpful. Now that I look back.


But in the Us, if you're in financial straits, most will NOT help you either, from my experience. Be careful wherever you go. The party seemed wild. it looks like fun. But how can I make friends with them if I do go there? In the Us, it's hard to make friends, so what about there? How to befriend them?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby ladislav » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 am

You will befriend them naturally as they will probably hear your accent/English and get curious and stay asking questions. They will then invite you to hang out somewhere. Also, if you meet a girl online, she will introduce you to her friends. Also, it depends on where you go. In big cities people are greedy assholes everywhere.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 pm

ladislav wrote:You will befriend them naturally as they will probably hear your accent/English and get curious and stay asking questions. They will then invite you to hang out somewhere. Also, if you meet a girl online, she will introduce you to her friends. Also, it depends on where you go. In big cities people are greedy assholes everywhere.


I understand about the cities. Do they speak English? Also, for safety, what to keep in mind, because not everyone who invites you somewhere is your friend with good intentions?
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Postby jamesbond » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 pm

I thought zboy1 said he banned lovelybunny (aka, Winston). So I guess Winston just reregistered lovelybunny's account and joined the forum again!

Welcome back Winston, I mean lovelybunny! lol :lol:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7483
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: USA

Postby ladislav » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:03 pm

lovelybunny wrote:
ladislav wrote:You will befriend them naturally as they will probably hear your accent/English and get curious and stay asking questions. They will then invite you to hang out somewhere. Also, if you meet a girl online, she will introduce you to her friends. Also, it depends on where you go. In big cities people are greedy assholes everywhere.


I understand about the cities. Do they speak English? Also, for safety, what to keep in mind, because not everyone who invites you somewhere is your friend with good intentions?


Most younger people will speak some English, older ones won't.

Just go there and do what Winston did-- he took a phrase book, acted like a helpless Johnny Foreigner and made oodles of friends. And as far as danger goes, well just use common sense.

Also, Google "expat ukraine board". You can discuss the many experiences with the expats who are already living there and they will give you excellent tips.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby Think Different » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:25 pm

They are shy and reserved with people they don't know. Closed on the outside, warm and friendly on the inside. The same as French Canadians.
Plus they may have been harassed and are now cautious. And how do you expect them to behave in the US?


This was always puzzling to me in the US. I lived in Russia for two years and I'd studied Russian at the university, so my Russian skills were intermediate-to-advanced, yet whenever I tried to communicate with Russians living in America, they would respond with (at most) two words and then quickly switch to English. I had the same experience with the Czechs (another language I used to speak well). I never understood why they act like that. In Russia and the Czech Republic they were always very open and friendly and willing to speak with me. Just not outside of their countries.

Any thoughts as to why?
Think Different
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 am
Location: Germany

Postby ladislav » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Think Different wrote:
They are shy and reserved with people they don't know. Closed on the outside, warm and friendly on the inside. The same as French Canadians.
Plus they may have been harassed and are now cautious. And how do you expect them to behave in the US?


This was always puzzling to me in the US. I lived in Russia for two years and I'd studied Russian at the university, so my Russian skills were intermediate-to-advanced, yet whenever I tried to communicate with Russians living in America, they would respond with (at most) two words and then quickly switch to English. I had the same experience with the Czechs (another language I used to speak well). I never understood why they act like that. In Russia and the Czech Republic they were always very open and friendly and willing to speak with me. Just not outside of their countries.

Any thoughts as to why?


Same with just about anyone -- Filipinos, PRicans, etc., who've been in the US for some time. There's pressure on them to act American and talk American. It is daily. They still talk their own language to a select group with whom speaking English is impractical- parents, old friends, etc. Outside of this group, they are already used to the fact that if you speak another language, you will get nasty looks, be told to go back to your country or be made fun of. You can even get beat up for that.

You just don't talk foreign languages in public/ to strangers in the USA. If they start talking Russian to you, someone might pass by, rebuke them, tell them to go back to Russia, or in your case --they think --as based on many many times of how it has happened-- will probably not be able to answer back fluently or understand what they are saying. Those who have experienced the above many times, become cautious. And speak English back.

Some protected groups- such as Island-born Puerto Ricans or Hassidic Jews or the Chinese in Chinatown's restaurants still speak their language and the locals do not mind, but all the rest must act American.

This attitude is very common in the USA:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTImKimzWas[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrPROU9I4U[/youtube]
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby lovelybunny » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 pm

ladislav wrote:
lovelybunny wrote:
ladislav wrote:You will befriend them naturally as they will probably hear your accent/English and get curious and stay asking questions. They will then invite you to hang out somewhere. Also, if you meet a girl online, she will introduce you to her friends. Also, it depends on where you go. In big cities people are greedy assholes everywhere.


I understand about the cities. Do they speak English? Also, for safety, what to keep in mind, because not everyone who invites you somewhere is your friend with good intentions?


Most younger people will speak some English, older ones won't.

Just go there and do what Winston did-- he took a phrase book, acted like a helpless Johnny Foreigner and made oodles of friends. And as far as danger goes, well just use common sense.

Also, Google "expat ukraine board". You can discuss the many experiences with the expats who are already living there and they will give you excellent tips.


Okay I will. And I'll learn a bit of Russian too.
lovelybunny
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests