I finally bought a HD TV and Blu-ray player

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

I finally bought a HD TV and Blu-ray player

Post by jamesbond »

I finally got rid of my old tv and bought a nice HD TV and a Blu-ray player. The HD picture quality is certainly better than what I had with my old television. The Blu-ray player is great but apparently my internet connection is not strong enough to be able to access the internet, so I cannot stream netflick movies on my tv for now but I can still stream them on my computer.

I watched "a view to a kill" on my Blu-ray player and it looked fantastic. I bought the James Bond 50th anniversary movie set (that has all but the last Bond film in it) in Blu-ray. The picture quality and sound is awesome. No wonder why so many people love Blu-ray movies, the picture and sound is crystal clear.

Now, Sony has come out with something that is a step above HD TV's and it is called 4K Ultra HD. It has DOUBLE the amount of pixels than regular HD, regular HD TV's are 1,920 x 1,080, the new Sony 4K Ultra HD are 3,840 x 2,160. :shock:

Here is Sony's website describing their new 4K Ultra HD TV's.

http://store.sony.com/c/S_4KTV/en/c/S_4KTV
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Enjoy, there isn't much 4K content yet.

When you say the internet is weak on the Blu Ray player but you can still watch it on your PC are you talking about the signal from your router or your connection speed isn't fast enough?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

djfourmoney wrote:When you say the internet is weak on the Blu Ray player but you can still watch it on your PC are you talking about the signal from your router or your connection speed isn't fast enough?
My Blu-ray player says my wireless connection is OK, but my internet access has failed. I think my connection speed is not strong enough, I only have between 4.25 and 4.90 MBPS.

I am looking to get a faster connection speed, currently I am paying $30 a month but it seems if I want upgrade my wireless connection speed I need to pay at least $49 a month.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Never watched a single movie since I left the UK. Why would I want to when there's so much stuff going on outside?
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

xiongmao wrote:Never watched a single movie since I left the UK. Why would I want to when there's so much stuff going on outside?
I have been looking at the UK on the net and it appears to be a total clustermuck,is it?
Time to Hide!
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Yeah, people who bought flat screens before a few years ago, not a smart move on their part, due to nothing actually being in HD.

I still don't have bluray yet. I barely watch movies. Actually what I'm doing now is I have my flatscreen setup in my room as a giant computer monitor. My flatscreen was relatively inexpensive ($200 32" offbrand Chinese one,) but it's only 720p! (lol)

I'll probably get a bluray once I get a PS3. Yeah, when they're announcing PS4 I'm thinking of getting PS3. I'm still working on my PS2 games. I'm also only 22.

My care of new technology I guess is relatively low.

My favorite TV I gave to my friend for a church tagsale because I wanted to be nice. It didn't sell and he put it out on the street. f**k being nice. But anyway, I swear it had the best speakers of any TV I've ever used. It was an old Magnavox fake wood TV from 1989, 19", but the speaker was in a nice box on the side of the TV where the controls and whatnot were. It sounded great. I do think there is a lack of quality in today's products, even if it's only imaginary, things just aren't as aesthetically pleasing anymore.

Also I do lament the abandoning of CRT technology. The swan song flat screen CRTs were actually amazing looking TVs. My sister's boyfriend gave us an older HD (only 1080i, not 1080p) CRT TV, 32" also. I daresay it's better in most ways compared to our other LCD TV. CRTs are naturally backlit, whereas LCDs aren't. Some people say LCDs are more energy efficient, which to some extent they are, but not by wide margins. The main reason was material cost and that CRTs are hard to move. With everyone losing their houses, LCDs get a lot more attractive as you don't know when you're gonna move, and it's hard to move a giant CRT by car and carry it by yourself.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

My cheapy edge lit 1080p LCD smokes CRT's... James PM about your internet issues.