How to start a dating site?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to start a dating site?

Post by momopi »

Johnny1975 wrote:I would like to consider the possibility of starting a dating site.
I have very little money, no programming skills, but all the time in the world, and nothing to lose.
Suggestions please.
http://www.hotscripts.com/

Search for "Dating". There are also various open source dating software that you can search for on google.com.

If you don't know what your'e doing, hire someone from freelancer.com to help you. Also elance.com, guru.com, etc.

There are numerous nitch dating/match-making markets that you can look into. Also look beyond dating and social networking. i.e. if you live in a suburban area with many home owners grow fruits and vegetables, you can setup a web site for locals to trade their home grown produce, then expand from there.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Momopi, my site is already up and running. I like the fruit and veg idea, that could be another way. Or maybe something that brings people together for mutual benefit, trading, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Johnny1975 wrote:Momopi, my site is already up and running. I like the fruit and veg idea, that could be another way. Or maybe something that brings people together for mutual benefit, trading, etc.
You posted "I would like to consider the possibility of starting a dating site" 2 days ago, and you already have it up and running?
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Yes. I usually overthink and overplan things, so I thought I'd just jump right in with this. I bought a domain and it's up and running. www.foreignwomenukdating.com
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

i have a gd idea on how to make a unique dating website that you don't usually see. don't know if it even exists. it will require a lot of time and effort to develop a stable and secure system for it but it doesn't require a team to do initially. i am experienced in many programming languages(c++,html5,javascript,java,php,css) and already have a small hosting business. maybe i will start on this idea and show you guys an alpha version. my only hesitation is whether it will be worth the time and effort because i . i just searched google and can't seem to find a dating site like the one am thinking about. i am a little excited because the idea came so easy. is that supposed to happen when you get unique ideas?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Johnny1975 wrote:Ok here's the link :

www.foreignwomenukdating.com
BRILLIANT concept and it WILL work.

Now you need a "landing page" that explains the concept, has some stories.

Plus pics of Polish/Romanian and Caribbean beauties.

And lose the pics of the bearded alpha males, replace with young groomed clean-shaven Brits.

Five girls, one guy.

You could advertise on UK expat sites as well as "lad magazine" type sites. Website name is enough for the ad, nothing else. Capitalize the words in the domain name, so people can read it. (It functions the same).

If no ad budget, or they won't sell you a tiny banner ad, then you could put fliers on phone poles (outside bars and fitness centers, or anywhere on public property with foot traffic - near the "tube" too) with a staple gun, with the tear-off thingies at the bottom of the flier. All day, every day, with a staple gun, going back to old phone poles every month or so. (Wear a hoodie if you have to!! ) Polish neighborhoods, Caribbean neighborhoods, university neighborhoods.... Half sheet of paper is enough, you don't have to say much, just the words in the domain name in big bold letters.

Good luck!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Johnny1975 wrote:Yes. I usually overthink and overplan things, so I thought I'd just jump right in with this. I bought a domain and it's up and running. www.foreignwomenukdating.com
+1 for admitting a fault.

+1 for taking action.

+1 for asking for help, without being afraid of negative comments.
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Jester wrote:

And lose the pics of the bearded alpha males, replace with young groomed clean-shaven Brits.

Five girls, one guy.

You could advertise on UK expat sites as well as "lad magazine" type sites. Website name is enough for the ad, nothing else. Capitalize the words in the domain name, so people can read it. (It functions the same).

If no ad budget, or they won't sell you a tiny banner ad, then you could put fliers on phone poles (outside bars and fitness centers, or anywhere on public property with foot traffic - near the "tube" too) with a staple gun, with the tear-off thingies at the bottom of the flier. All day, every day, with a staple gun, going back to old phone poles every month or so. (Wear a hoodie if you have to!! ) Polish neighborhoods, Caribbean neighborhoods, university neighborhoods.... Half sheet of paper is enough, you don't have to say much, just the words in the domain name in big bold letters.

Good luck!
LOL...classic....UK guys giving UK women the flick.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Re: How to start a dating site?

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

momopi wrote: i.e. if you live in a suburban area with many home owners grow fruits and vegetables, you can setup a web site for locals to trade their home grown produce, then expand from there.
MBA is going to set up portals for local trading. We have already gotten the whole idea of local fresh produce...but we will offer other local services as well...for example a man who lives alone get sick or injured and he needs help. He will be able to call us (if he can not make it to email) and we can arrange for another local man to come to his aid and they can work out a fee.

A few years back I slipped a few disks in my back. My mate had to bring me food etc. We thought then that there needs to be local services for injured men. Basically the MBA will be able to get an email from a man "I want to buy xyz and this is where I live, what's the best deal around here". And we should be able to tell him.

This is why we want LOTS of men to register to the MBA. They will be able to buy and sell into their local area.

Example? There is a laundry about 200 meters from me where I have to take my shirts to get washed. I would be more than happy to pay some uni student to take my shirts over and bring them back. This place is FULL of uni students because I am about 500 meters from the campus....but since I do not know where they live or if they are interested in providing a drop off pick up for washing I can't find them.

Those are the sort of local services that MBA will link people together on.

So...every man who thinks he has something to sell...even if only his time....should be on the MBA portal...and he should get lots of other men onto the portal so that we can build up the buying/selling in the second economy.

Where I live? There are 5 story apartments with 4 apartment per story and there are about 12 on each block. So that is 5x4x12x2 people (480) on each block. You can't tell me that there are not men who want their places cleaned, shirts washed and ironed, goods fetched from the stores etc. If some kid offered to go buy my groceries for me? I'd be HAPPY to pay him EUR20 to do that. It takes me an hour to go to the store and it is as boring as hell.

I pay my cleaning lady EUR60 every fortnight to come clean my place. She is really good. So good that I recommended her to a friend and she did not have a spare slot in her week to do his place.

All these sorts of services will be done via the MBA....if it is buying and selling, especially in cash and local...we will get into it.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Jester wrote:

Five girls, one guy.

Good luck!
I think it will work too. Well, I certainly think it should work. I did a google search using the four keywords that make up the name : foreign women uk dating, and another search with just foreign women dating, and another with just foreign women. There was not even 1 site doing what I'm trying to do. Everything that came up was international dating sites, or articles, or whatever. So either what I'm trying to do is unique because no one has had the idea yet, or it's unique because too many people think it's a load of old rubbish. I'll have to wait and see which it is.

What do you mean when you say landing page? You mean the front page of the site? I do have the option of adding text (in which I could explain the concept - that is something which I definitely have wanted to do) at the bottom of the front page, but all I've put on there so far is "Dating for UK based men and UK based foreign women". Do you think it's a good idea to expand on that, right there on that page, or should I have another front page explaining the idea, which then leads to the index page?

As for the pictures, I should ask the company that runs the site to change them.

I'm not sure why you say advertise on UK expat sites. My site is for UK men, ie men in the UK looking for foreign women in the UK. I suppose I could advertise on sites that are frequented by foreign women in their own country who intend to come to the UK.

Do you think the name of the site is self explanatory? I really think it is. When I was thinking of a name, I wanted it to be as short as possible, while still explaining the concept clearly. So, the only words that came to mind were : foreign women, and uk, and certainly dating. I don't think any other words are necessary. My next step was to put them in the perfect order, and so I wrote them out in all 24 combinations, and rounded it down to what I now have, which I think is perfect. And today I asked a friend (without first telling him why) to tell me what kind of site www.foreignwomenukdating.com sounded like. And he said it sounds like a site for dating foreign women in the UK. I don't think there's any confusion at all. But what do you think?

Also, the big picture of the man and the woman, I'd like to change that. How do I do that? I don't know any type of programming. There is a page (on the website of the company that runs it) where there's some code, and I've tried to find something that looks like a url for a picture, but I haven't seen it. And what do you think is a good replacement for that picture? I'm thinking a british flag next to or surrounded by a bunch of little flags from lots of other countries.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Johnny1975 wrote: What do you mean when you say landing page? You mean the front page of the site?
I mean where they land when they come to your site the very first time by clicking on the domain name.

Johnny1975 wrote: should I have another front page explaining the idea, which then leads to the index page?
Yes.

Johnny1975 wrote:I'm not sure why you say advertise on UK expat sites.
Because wannabe-expats (like me) read them.

Johnny1975 wrote:Do you think the name of the site is self explanatory? I really think it is. When I was thinking of a name, I wanted it to be as short as possible, while still explaining the concept clearly. So, the only words that came to mind were : foreign women, and uk, and certainly dating. I don't think any other words are necessary. My next step was to put them in the perfect order, and so I wrote them out in all 24 combinations, and rounded it down to what I now have, which I think is perfect. And today I asked a friend (without first telling him why) to tell me what kind of site www.foreignwomenukdating.com sounded like. And he said it sounds like a site for dating foreign women in the UK. I don't think there's any confusion at all. But what do you think?
I agree. That's exactly why I said that all you need in a banner ad or printed on a phone-pole tear-off thingie, is just the domain name, with each word capitalized for legibility.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Johnny1975 wrote: www.foreignwomenukdating.com

.....the big picture of the man and the woman, I'd like to change that. How do I do that? I don't know any type of programming. There is a page (on the website of the company that runs it) where there's some code, and I've tried to find something that looks like a url for a picture, but I haven't seen it.
I know what you mean but it's not my area. The code is there is because the picture is "embedded", which is better than having a link. That's about all I know. The hosting company can upload a new pic for you quite easily. You shouldn't have to do it yourself. Just ask nicely.

You could find one yourself (by googling stock commercial art for sale), or by paying an artist to draw something original. But the hosting company must have something, if you tell them what you want.
Johnny1975 wrote: And what do you think is a good replacement for that picture? I'm thinking a british flag next to or surrounded by a bunch of little flags from lots of other countries.
That might work, but needs some sex too, like a pair of female legs. Other countries flags should only be from countries that have immigrants in Britain of course, like countries I mentioned above.

If you pay for original art, you could have something drawn with sexy cartoon girls in stereotypical national costumes, surrounding a stereotypical Brit, who is looking shocked and/or very happy.

You should expect to pay serious money for this and have it done right.

But BTW I don't hate the big pic you have now. I would go forward using it if you do the landing page.

Just change the big pic if you have money. The landing page is needed. The landing page can include sexy foreign women and happy couples, stock photos you buy online.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Jester,

The index page of my site is www.foreignwomenukdating.com . If I create a separate landing page, what does the current index page become?

And anyway what could I write on the landing page? I know that I can explain the concept. That's easy enough. But is there anything else that you think visitors would want to see or read?

If I were to create some sort of blog or other site I could include a link to that on the landing page.

I emailed the white label company that runs it, and I asked them if they could change the main picture if I was to give them the url of some other picture, and they just said pay someone to do the programming. I think it's ridiculous to pay someone to do something that is probably extremely simple if you know what bit of programming to look for, so I won't be doing that. But I also think the main picture is ok for the time being at least. the girl looks kind of foreign so that's ok.

Paying for artwork isn't something that I think is necessary. In fact, I don't want to pay for anything unless it's absolutely unavoidable and crucial.

I've changed the types of pictures that appear on the bottom of the page (the selection of members). Before they were just any old people, not it's just foreign looking women. No men. I picked them specifically. There are 50, and they appear randomly. I picked the best looking ones.

I've just had an idea. What about if I somehow embed an msn / skype messenger? That way if 2 people get on they can stop sending messages and chat on there.
mand38
Freshman Poster

Post by mand38 »

I suppse like any other business: make business plan, see what you have and what you don't have, and calculate how much costs to pay for that that you 'don't have'