Good things about America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

The U.S.A is garbage. I don't understand why you're so in love with the country, mrmillersd--especially considering you're Asian...aren't you?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

S_Parc wrote:From my experience, if you can get rid of dysfunctional ppl (around you), avoid dating American women, and focus on your career, then America is a fine place.
^that.

what my father did here, and he has done ok here in the US.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

zboy1 wrote:The U.S.A is garbage. I don't understand why you're so in love with the country, mrmillersd--especially considering you're Asian...aren't you?
zboy, I may despise this country with all my heart but I must admit there are some positive things (few but some) about the US. However, the negatives outweigh the positives, as I have said before.

how I live my life.

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

zboy1 wrote:The U.S.A is garbage. I don't understand why you're so in love with the country, mrmillersd--especially considering you're Asian...aren't you?
Probably because he's still in academia, thinking that getting A's and winning triathlons equals success in America. This is common among those from the near east and Asian countries, esp for the 1st or 2nd generations.

Now, granted if he translates that into a management consulting or hedge fund partnership track, via alumni recruiting, then he's kinda got the right *color parachute* but I can tell you this, numerous ppl of the aforementioned ilk, who don't find themselves in the alpha money changer areas, end up no different than the B/B+ students, a cog in the corporate treadmill like everyone else.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

America still has good universities. The problems with this good fact is that most tuition costs are too outrageous. Mrmillersd is correct that getting certain grants helped lower the cost of the university for me. I guess also certain costs for products are cheaper.

However, beyond making decent money there are issues that are current with an America that is on the decline:

Social | Economic | Government

Social is a big issue why we are here on HA and I think if laws were decent for men, girls would not have so many charges falsely put for each guy and quite honestly if women were more feminine and men more masculine there would be less men living happily abroad.

Economics is also big because of Fiat currency with stupid Keynesian economics is hurting not only the US but also other western nations and other developing nations for a long time and with the ecomomic crisis which seems to be engineered this is likely going to be a major issue when it comes to making 'money' which seems to be one of the big things still good about the country.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

S_Parc wrote:
Probably because he's still in academia, thinking that getting A's and winning triathlons equals success in America. This is common among those from the near east and Asian countries, esp for the 1st or 2nd generations.

Now, granted if he translates that into a management consulting or hedge fund partnership track, via alumni recruiting, then he's kinda got the right *color parachute* but I can tell you this, numerous ppl of the aforementioned ilk, who don't find themselves in the alpha money changer areas, end up no different than the B/B+ students, a cog in the corporate treadmill like everyone else.
I agree. Many people who go to the Ivy League colleges know they will have (or truly expect) to have a great future in America. Many CEOs, corporate executives, politicians, heads of governmental agencies, top corporate lawyers, and top economists all graduated from Ivy League colleges. They can destroy the world economy, order bailouts, and practice corrupt policies and never answer for their crimes. Many of the people who caused the new depression received golden parachutes upon their exit. I would say that a large amount of mrmillersd's love for America and the system we have in America is because he expects to join the American elites and he has been given an opportunity very few people are able to receive.

I think that anyone who emigrates anywhere, was accepted into the local culture, didn't experience the stress or social isolation of America, and receives great opportunities would mainly see the positives. It's called selective perception or idolization. Many immigrants will idolize America and not see many bad things about it. For many of them who come from extreme poverty or countries ravaged by war then America will be like a paradise and give them more opportunity.

Many people who go about their daily lives without such opportunities in America won't like the American system or truly love America.

Everything is great with a golden parachute and when the person has first selection at what America has to offer. It's because they are able to stand above the rest and they know they have a better life than most other people. This would feed anyone's ego and they believe they are magnificent in the eyes of others. Many people can easily forget about their hatred of the system when they join the rich and powerful.
Last edited by Tsar on July 11th, 2013, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeptic
Freshman Poster

Post by skeptic »

I agree with you, mguy! I have been preaching this for quite a while. While some members are open-minded to take our opinion seriously, others believe we are trolls. But anyways...
mguy wrote:I like the infrastructure
I wish you were right, and in a way you still are. American railroads, highways, airports were indeed built with high quality, meant to last for very long time. The problem, however, is that even the best infrastructure requires consistent funding to maintain it in state of a good repair. Unfortunately, our infrastructure has long been underfunded and, as a result, has laregely deteriorated. One type of infrastructure - the railroads - had not been funded by the federal government at all until, in 1971, Congress created Amtrak (which still receives only a small chunk of all transportation funds). Also, while European and Asian nations have built high-speed railroads, our Republicans keep blocking Obama's attempts to create even a remote semblance of those railroads. So, I agree with your that our infrastructure has been built with quality, but I believe that America has long way to go to reclaim its superiority in this matter.
mguy wrote:I like innovation culture -- as if our future lies in our fate
Innovation may in theory be part of American mentality. In practice, however, America is extremely conservative. While the rest of the world (not sure about Britain, though) uses the Metric system, we've been stuck with the English one. The aforementioned opposition of Republicans to high-speed rail is another example of counter-innovation. But then again, this is a relatively new phenomenon. Historically, the success of America was indeed based on innovation. Looks like something has gone wrong with American way of thinking. It's got to be fixed to get back on track.

Speaking of culture in general, America has a great cultural legacy. Such singers as Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley are true representation of American pop culture of mid 20-th century. Unfortunately, however, the songs that we hear on radio today generally fall far below those that came out as recently as 20 years ago (which I can't say about Russian pop songs). It's not innovation it's degradation. So, again, we've got to catch up.
mguy wrote:I like social safety nets that allows one to live dreams (some works some doesn't but at still its good we have it)
Ok. I believe America is keeping a good balance on this one. Europe has overly sunk in social welfare, while we maintain a rather modest version of it that allows a jobless person to make ends meet until he finds a new job.
mguy wrote:I like the weather in some parts, especially the seasons
And the diversity of climate zones.
mguy wrote:I like the peace and the order
Agree.
mguy wrote:I like it being quiet
Come to New York or Los Angeles or Chicago! I don't feel much quietnes here. But then I don't like overly quiet places, instead enjoying the dynamics of New York.
mguy wrote:I like the value of work -- maybe not for material gain -- but that Americans are looking for mastery
Some may argue that Americans "live to work" (rather than "work to live"), although I don't thinks it's true. As for mastery, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
mguy wrote:I like the products that come from here
Me too. Except that there aren't too many of them. Personally, when I go buy some crap, I buy items that are Made in USA (rather than China) if such items are available - even if they cost a dollar more. Unfortunately, there is too much China crap out here. As for cars, the brand doesn't say much about where it's being made. I've heard that Toyotas can be more American-made than Fords.
mguy wrote:I like most people here, really, even some females are good people too
Yes, they are very good - as long as they are attracted to you. Apparently, many men who seek foreign dating are tired of numerous rejections. But on a serious note, I do agree with you. It's not good to blame our own imperfection on the females who aren't attracted to that imperfection. I believe self-improvement is a much better way of dealing with this than foreign dating.
mguy wrote:There's a lot to like about America. I have to admit this is still one of the best countries in the world.
As long as you acknowledge its shortcomings, it's ok to still like this country. After all no country is perfect.

As for what I like specifically about the United States is that it denounces hate and discrimination and can severly punish an individual for a racist remark. Also, I like the way the government ensures religious freedom (and equality) by separating itself from any religious matters (i.e. the separation of Church and State). This, however, comes with a price tag: because government's hands are tied, it can't fund religious schools, which, in turn, makes these schools very expensive. European governments have more freedom of spending the taxpayers' money on religious matters and, as a result, religious schools (of any faith) are more affordable. But still, the American separation of Church and State prevents the government from religious discrimination.

The last but not the least, I like American society for allowing me to walk down the streets wearing a yarmulka and feeling good about it, as well as to arrange my Friday schedule in a way that allows Sabbath observance.
Last edited by skeptic on July 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can run away from America, but you CAN'T run away from yourself.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Tsar wrote:I would say that a large amount of mrmillersd's love for America and the system we have in America is because he expects to join the American elites and he has been given an opportunity very few people are able to receive.

[ snipped out ]

Everything is great with a golden parachute and when the person has first selection at what America has to offer. It's because they are able to stand above the rest and they know they have a better life than most other people. This would feed anyone's ego and they believe they are magnificent in the eyes of others. Many people can easily forget about their hatred of the system when they join the rich and powerful.
Time out, this issue isn't exactly black and white, as you've described. A person graduating from an elite college needs to first be interned at one of those places before getting hired. Not all attendants at Harvard or Wharton school have Hank Paulson as a grandparent. Thus, I'd say it's more the color of one's parachute thing than anything else. So yes, we have right in my area... graduates from Harvard, Cornell, MIT, Brown, etc, and they all earn regular salaries, trying to laterally (or vertically) move into a project management roles. These are not the Masters of the Universe types like Senior Partner at Lazard Asset Management. These folks are not much different than someone who'd attend let's say Drexel, Northeastern, or Rutgers.

The folks you're talking about, tended to have been recruited as a junior analyst at an XYZ Capital, where one's family/friend connection a/o alumni, got him his 1st summer internship. Then, by hook or by crook, he winds up making decisions about the clients' monies in the fund, and then, graduates into a senior equity manager role. This is known as a fast tracker and many of them attend Ivies but also, have some Patrician connections in the field. Some are also great salesmen. The end result ... golden parachutes.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

1. Best colleges in the world.

2. Incredible opportunities to start a business for those with the business mindset.

3. Best real estate scene in the world. Being a real estate investor in America is one of the best things you can do no matter what your occupation.

4. A person who is poor can easily acquire knowledge and become a millionaire in a short period of time in America.

If only the women and social scene were much better and America would be a near perfect place to live.
Last edited by SilverEnergy on July 11th, 2013, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

Lol, i NEVER want to work for someone else. I've been networking alot to build a non profit organization though...

Ive only been to China and Spain, and I didn't really like the cultures there....Yes I'm Chinese but I've been well accepted here in the USA. I have definitely experienced racism when it comes to dating, but you guys act like this wont happen in other countries as well....As if you walk into Russia and ten 18-year old virgins will be yours...wake up !

I'm super interested in traveling the world though, and meeting interesting women along the way from other countries.

The only reason I hate the USA is because of immigration. My family waited 10 +years and risked their lives to come here, and now I see mexicans who are here illegally who get financial aid from the government. The ****?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

America sums up what is pretty much the demise of man, lets say just a little over a few hundred years ago this was practically a pristine land mass of life and look at it now, it's practically dead.

You can go read about everything that has gone extinct here since man came to North America and it is a shocker. So we came here stole the land from the native people and then just about stripped it of most of it's living organisms that took millions of years to create.

I love all the modern conveniences that have been invented because of America but if it is at the expense of all future generations and inhabitants of this world it is pretty much pointless.
Time to Hide!
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

You could say that for any country....

When I was in china, I could swim in the river of my town. Today, 25%+ of China's rivers and lakes are "missing" or polluted to the point of cancer if i swam in them....

I'd wager that Beijing has the most lung cancer cases of anywhere in the world. Again, all for modern convenience
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

America has many immigrants, and if you live in a coastal state with immigrants from around the world, it means having the opportunity to date girls of many ethnicities from around the world without ever leaving the country. For colleges, there are many foreign and immigrant college girls.

On the down side, if you're dating an exchange student, or someone who's only here for a semester, be prepared to be left behind when she goes back home. Although there are cases where the foreign student opt to marry a citizen and stay, those are in the smaller minority. The majority, including ones who actively seek relationships while in the US, do not intend to stay. You might think "wow that's great, it means she leaves and I get new GF". Wait until you're the one who's taking her to the airport and being left behind. It's NOT a good feeling, so unless if you can handle it, it's best to date a local.

I've known Taiwanese guys who are married to Japanese and HK exchange students. They actually took the pursuit to Japan & HK and moved there to be with the girl until she agreed to get married and return to the US. So if you're willing to chase that far, then it may be an option for you. However, I'd note that if you want to chase a Japanese girl, the select would be far broader in Japan.

For me personally, the best thing about California is the clean air, followed by the wide variety of ethnic restaurants. Taiwanese immigrants are now trying to bring the night market culture over here:
http://www.626nightmarket.com/

Getting an education and making money in the US is also less competitive than many other places. Despite all the gloom and doom that you might read on the forum, real estate and job market is recovering around here. I get spammed with far more headhunter e-mails now than 3 years ago, and those guys are even calling us at work and showing up at professional meet-up's to head hunt with job offers. However this does not necessarily apply to rest of the country (Detroit). America is a big country and you have areas that are prospering and areas that are in decline at any given time. Perhaps this is one of the good things here, you can always pack up and go to another area that's prospering.

Finding neighbors that are open and friendly with you may be difficult depending on who you are and where you live. Generally speaking if you live in a Cul-de-sac with 5 SFR's, you have a better chance of knowing your neighbors. I recently moved to a Cul-de-Sac and was on first name basis with 4 of my neighbors quickly. While I was away in HK they offered to watch my house and put away my mail. Sometimes I take my neighbor's dogs for a walk and we trade backyard fruits and veggies. When I lived in a condo, there were far more neighbors in a row and it was less personal, and less friendly except back in 1999, when I bought it new and everyone moved in at the same time. Back then everyone was friendly and on first name basis, but as time went on people moved on and new neighbors became less sociable. Cul-de-sac homes, however, seems to retain the neighborly relations better over the years.

The Irvine Company, which owns most of the rental property around Irvine, actually tried to address this issue with their newer apartment blocks by hosting social events at each apartment building. For those in Southern California area you can go to Irvine Spectrum and look across the street to the new apartment blocks. Many of the residents are single working professionals and the apartment socials was great for meeting and hooking up with people (as of few years ago, I haven't been to one since). On the down side, the rent is pricy.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

SilverEnergy wrote:1. Best colleges in the world.

2. Incredible opportunities to start a business for those with the business mindset.

3. Best real estate scene in the world. Being a real estate investor in America is one of the best things you can do no matter what your occupation.

4. A person who is poor can easily acquire knowledge and become a millionaire in a short period of time in America.

If only the women and social scene were much better and America would be a near perfect place to live.
I agree 100% with this. ^

how I live my life.

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

mrmillersd wrote:You could say that for any country....

When I was in china, I could swim in the river of my town. Today, 25%+ of China's rivers and lakes are "missing" or polluted to the point of cancer if i swam in them....

I'd wager that Beijing has the most lung cancer cases of anywhere in the world. Again, all for modern convenience
We managed to do it here in just 200 years, China has been working on it for thousands and thousands on their land.
Time to Hide!