America has the highest rates of mental illness in the world, WHO says

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: America has the highest rates of mental illness, studies

Post by MrMan »

I spoke with a cross-cultural psychologist, and he said going to talk to a psychologist was almost exclusively a practice of individualistic societies. These also happen to be the 'developed' societies. In a lot of collectivist societies, people have close relationships with an in-group, for example an extended families. They might live in the same house or next door to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. who quite regularly give the advice about their lives. They have strong social networks. Young people from individualist countries are expected to move out and live on their own as young adults and don't spend as much time, typically, with other relatives who give the advice all the time.

If you've got relatives and close friends you can talk things over with, why go to a shrink.

Then there are psychologists and psychiatrists. In some poor collectivist society, if you have people to talk to, you might not feel depressed. If you do feel depressed, you don't go to the psychologist or psychiatrist and get diagnosed, because that's not really a thing. Maybe a really crazy person from a family with some means in Indonesia would go to a psychiatrist over there or be put in some kind of home. But there are also crazy naked people covered in dirt with really messed up hairdos, not many of them, but they are around.

Americans also are the place where the major drug companies make their money. They spend 20 years working on some chemical trying to see what if it could treat some malady that effects enough of the population to turn a profit. While this is going on, the 20 year patent is running out. So they get FDA approval to run tests, and by the time the process is done, they have 5 or 7 years or whatever left on a patent to try to squeeze money out of customers for the drug. Their salesmen try to convince doctors to use the new drug at $70 a pill instead of the old $.15 cent a pill generic drug whose patent had expired. They try to squeeze much of the money out of the American market. After the patent runs out, the drug companies sell their version of it for a premium over the cheap generic versions that come out, but their profits drop quite a bit for the drug.

And if you've ever seen drug commercials, they have side effects. "Please stop taking Fartula if you have thoughts of suicide and tell your doctor." Americans are chugging down these unnatural chemicals. Could they be making people crazy?

And if an 8-year-old boy doesn't want to sit behind a little desk all day, he gets diagnosed as being hyperactive or ADHD instead of being diagnosed as an energetic 8-year-old. So we have another stat for an American mentally ill person. And the doctors get to charge his parent's insurance some ridiculously high amount for visits to prescribe drugs for him. And the drug companies get to make money off of him, too.

Some of the mental illness could be from bad diets or 'inauthentic' society. But I think some of it is from the way our medical, phsychological, and pharmaceutical industries work together to diagnose Americans with problems and treat them, and make money in the process.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Americans also seem to have a major issue with reality- meaning that they're very big on thinking that reality is basically what they say it is. There are so many things that might be a problem, might have happened to someone in their life, might even continue to be what's happening in their life- yet, are disqualified & designated non-issues or some kind of flaw of the person. A good example is how someone working their lives away might be depressed about it & how time is running out bit by bit for them, yet someone acts like they're mentally screwed-up for it. Living to work instead of workign to live is something that takes an extreme toll, even if nothing combatively severe happens to you (like getting shot at or setting on a landmine). This philosophy is frequently & sometimes strenuously defended. I've been told on numerous occassions: "That's life!" It's seems a lot people think it's basically dying to not live that way, especially considering how vigarously they defend this lifestyle.

Any number of abuses & ambiant conditions are presented as better than negative when this is not the case- it's not a neutral or a positive. It's a major tendancy to extol things like that, while seeing fit to deride the possibly exact same things going on in other countries. So it has an added twist of pretending reality takes a coffee break in America & the person that works like that will not likely be of much help with psychological matters or life advice.

Another issue is that every f***ing thing is grounds for a lawsuit & even more things are grounds for an arrest/capture (which can just be done without catalyst, like any other instigation). The legal system is unfair & the risks of its unfair activities is pervasively underpronounced. I don't know- maybe people are being sarcastic & I'm just not picking up on it, but applauding the actions of policy implementation workers that are antithetical to promoting justice & hospitable living conditions is a travesty. They frequently do the very things one would theoretically call them to prevent or respond to & this is frequently omitted in the way they are described. This also seems to be omitted in people's decision-making, like when they don't think about what might be coming to their house if they call them for help or if they call to inform them of a situation. This is true when they figure what a response will be from them. [This is also true with what they might be getting handcuffed by, though someone doing that extrapersonally is never a good sign.]

So, at the end of the day: there's general life within delusion, undermining, and hostility- all while working your time away for a life you don't get to live that much. This is done in a subtle, pernicious kind of way instead of an ostentatious & obvious kind of way. This makes it a bit harder to point out & not only is it frustrating, but also people think you're complaining just because you like to do that specifically or that you're crazy & figure everyone's out to get you or something. It's like arguing about someone's tone of voice- it might be there, but it's more or less impossible to argue it in a definite way like you could with the words themselves.

During all this, someone is maintaining a constant "face image" while more or less everyone publicly extols the idea of "being yourself" (yet almost always argue with things that are not "fence-riding" or acting unsure & in some way helpless). There's a near-mystique about a "straight shooter" or "someone that shoots from the hip" or whatever someone wants to call it when someone is genuine & honest, even if it's in insult- YET, when someone actually is this way they are somewhat reviled & treated like they're an asshole.

There's a constant fixation on the material, not the dynamic (a prime example is that identity doesn't change output, yet when someone wears a badge or a lab coat instead of a cross there's a bit of a PR effort to pretty up their actions or reference that "It's not all they do"- as if that somehow negates their activities). This is something that contributes to there being an open avenue of attack. Living with this risk would be something that has a psychological impact, as would many of these risks being realized. Plenty of things can stick with you, even if you don't deliberately stop enjoying things in your life or purposefully wallow in anything.

This dynamic also applies to food, medicine, education- it doesn't matter. It gets to the point where you wonder if someone doesn't grasp conditions, yet they understand a dead cell phone battery & rotten food. So I have to come to the conclusion that there is a large-scale sitaution of a general antagonism to life here. Definitely not on a complete level, but definitely a common one.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The division the way it is between the sexes then brewing from there to divide all our family tree's up and shred them is a big boiling point for any civilization.
Time to Hide!
Sirocco
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by Sirocco »

As someone who is socially awkward and alone one can say I do deserve the scorn, I am low everywhere. Aspergers has become a buzzword these days but I didn't self diagnose myself or something nonsensical like that.
I like seeing success stories about other people, to know there are some human beings left in this world, but there is no joy to be had for myself.

I can't be an alpha it's just not in the realm of possibility.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

I've been saying this for years. There are even mental illnesses in the North American region that have yet to be seen anywhere else. Someone above me mentioned solopsism being an American trend. This is also something I can co-sign.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Most of mental illness is one of two things: You're a jerk, or you're a demon.

If you hear voices, see visions, etc., then you have a demon attached to you. Otherwise you are just feeling sad, or you are inconsiderate of others.

The solution to any of these is easy: Jesus Christ.

Psychiatry is comprised mainly of pill pushers. Their career is based upon prescribing as many pills as possible. To do this, they must broaden the scope of mental illness and expand their customer base. Therefore everyone is mentally ill because that is profitable for the faction of doctors who call themselves psychiatrists. Eliminate psychiatry, you'll eliminate mental illness. Then people will simply be inconsiderate, shy, sad, or demonic.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Adama »

Sirocco wrote:As someone who is socially awkward and alone one can say I do deserve the scorn, I am low everywhere. Aspergers has become a buzzword these days but I didn't self diagnose myself or something nonsensical like that.
I like seeing success stories about other people, to know there are some human beings left in this world, but there is no joy to be had for myself.

Back in the olden days they called this condition being shy. Now it is labeled as some terrible mental disorder, oh my. Twenty years from now, they will have discovered another 100 mental illnesses, which pretty much means everyone will need an anti depressant, psychotic, hypnotic pill which works as well as the placebo effect.
Sirocco
Freshman Poster

Post by Sirocco »

Adama wrote:Most of mental illness is one of two things: You're a jerk, or you're a demon.

If you hear voices, see visions, etc., then you have a demon attached to you. Otherwise you are just feeling sad, or you are inconsiderate of others.

Psychiatry is comprised mainly of pill pushers. Their career is based upon prescribing as many pills as possible. To do this, they must broaden the scope of mental illness and expand their customer base. Therefore everyone is mentally ill because that is profitable for the faction of doctors who call themselves psychiatrists. Eliminate psychiatry, you'll eliminate mental illness. Then people will simply be inconsiderate, shy, sad, or demonic.
Ain't going near Jesus, want none of that.
Sirocco
Freshman Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Sirocco »

Adama wrote:
Sirocco wrote:As someone who is socially awkward and alone one can say I do deserve the scorn, I am low everywhere. Aspergers has become a buzzword these days but I didn't self diagnose myself or something nonsensical like that.

Back in the olden days they called this condition being shy. Now it is labeled as some terrible mental disorder, oh my. Twenty years from now, they will have discovered another 100 mental illnesses, which pretty much means everyone will need an anti depressant, psychotic, hypnotic pill which works as well as the placebo effect.
But there's no drugs or anything for it.
I'm not shy either, I genuinely enjoy socializing. I just suck at it and that goes into another realm of discussion I won't get into now.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Sirocco wrote:
Adama wrote:Most of mental illness is one of two things: You're a jerk, or you're a demon.

Hopefully you'll change your mind before you leave this world. Jesus says that He is the light of life. He will give you the light of life when you believe on Him. He is the way, the truth, and the life. I bet if you got saved that Jesus would illuminate the problem for you, so that you could fix it. God loves His children (who are the ones who believe in Jesus through faith alone). If you ask Him for something which is according to His will, He will probably give it to you. He says the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. All you'd have to do is believe and then ask God. You might even get to see that He was working in your life the whole time, but because you're unsaved, there is a veil in place preventing you from even noticing how He is working for you. That's what happened to me.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

Sirocco wrote:

A step in the right direction, I feel.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Eightfold Path wrote:
Sirocco wrote:

A step in the right direction, I feel.

We each will make our own choices in this life. Some will chose the narrow path, which leads to life. Most will chose the broad path, which leads to destruction. Buddhists especially should love Christianity. It is the Buddhists who believe Christ went east during his youth to learn the precepts of Buddhism, which some of them consider to be similar to Christianity.

And why hope to be reincarnated endlessly with all the suffering life has to offer, when a person could just go to heaven at the end of their first and only life, to be with our Lord and all the joy and glory which He would give you? (He promises that the ones who keep His commandment will shine as bright as the sun in heaven, in an incorruptible, invincible body. And I personally believe that we will have magical powers which come with our spiritual bodies, possibly even greater than the Angels/Demons.) I'd prefer that over being reincarnated as a slave in the third world, and I'd prefer it over complete non-existence. I definitely prefer it over endless fiery torment.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Adama wrote: ..... Buddhists especially should love Christianity. It is the Buddhists who believe Christ went east during his youth to learn the precepts of Buddhism, which some of them consider to be similar to Christianity.
The same could be said about Islam. The Gautama Buddha is mentioned in the Quran as a man of justice, his life under a fig tree in a city located in present Afghanistan.

I don't know anything about Jesus Christ. - It is not sure if he (she?) even existed - visiting Far East Asia. Some believe, he went west to USA in Utah.

Out of all religions the weakest one is Christianity, even selling out its moral values to feminists. This is not the case with Islam, but also not with Buddhism - there is no reason why Buddhists should love Christianity.
Eightfold Path
Freshman Poster

Post by Eightfold Path »

Yohan wrote:Out of all religions the weakest one is Christianity, even selling out its moral values to feminists. This is not the case with Islam, but also not with Buddhism - there is no reason why Buddhists should love Christianity.
Ah. A voice of reason. Thank you.
josephty1
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty1 »

Deleted
Last edited by josephty1 on July 27th, 2018, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.