Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

America has the highest rates of mental illness, studies say

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Re: America has the highest rates of mental illness, studies

Postby josephty1 » August 2nd, 2017, 7:51 pm

Winston wrote:To back up my claim about America having the highest rates of mental illness in the world, here are some links to articles and studies I found online that attest to it. They are very revealing and testify to the dysfunctional, toxic and inauthentic lifestyle that Americans have that splits their mind from their authentic self, leading to a psychosis.

First, here is what the World Health Organization reported which confirms this:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20040601/rate-of-mental-illness-is-staggering

June 1, 2004 -- A World Health Organization study released Tuesday shows that rates of most mental illness are far higher in the U.S. than in any other country in the world.

Here is another study that says that half of Americans will develop a mental illness in their lifetime.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/why-more-americans-suffer-from-mental-disorders-than-anyone-else/246035/

MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS IN THE UNITED STATES
Over a 12-month period, 27 percent of adults in the U.S. will experience some sort of mental health disorder, making the U.S. the country with the highest prevalence. Mental health disorders include mood disorders, anxiety disorders, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and substance abuse. Over one's entire lifetime, the average American has a 47.4 percent chance of having any kind of mental health disorder. Yes, that's almost one in two. The projected lifetime prevalence is even higher: for people who reach age 75 it is 55 percent. The WHO data does not take into account eating disorders, personality disorders, and schizophrenia; the incidence of these disorders together is about 15 percent in the U.S., according to the National Institute of Mental Health.

Here are more articles about the high rates of mental illness in America which corroborates my claim:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5111202/
http://nysun.com/editorials/are-we-really-ill?fark
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/01/19/1-in-5-americans-suffer-from-mental-illness/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/05/030507080958.htm
http://www.thekimfoundation.org/html/about_mental_ill/statistics.html
http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/12/20/us-rates-mental-illness-rates-are-persistently-high
http://www.samhsa.gov/newsroom/advisories/1201185326.aspx

The media has also reported on the growing epidemic of social isolation and loneliness in America, citing that Americans have fewer friends than they did in the past. See their reports here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/02/weekinreview/02fountain.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/22/AR2006062201763_pf.html
http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/060331_loneliness.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html

In one of the studies above, an "expert" theorizes that depression may be a "luxury disorder" in the US because people in other countries have to survive all the time and have no time for depression. lol

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/why-more-americans-suffer-from-mental-disorders-than-anyone-else/246035/

Quality of free time > Quantity

Winston wrote:What a load of laughable denialist BS. If having free time were really the cause of depression then how come people who work less than Americans, such as the French, Germans, Spanish and Dutch, don't have mental health problems like Americans do? In fact, even in a third world country like the Philippines, where reportedly 60 percent of people are unemployed, there are no mental illness problems, only money problems.

These dense Harvard experts are clearly in denial of the truth, which is that the true reason for the highest rates of mental illness in America have a lot more to do with the inauthentic, insane, toxic, dysfunctional, lonely, isolated, hostile, unfriendly lifestyle and social culture than with having too much free time.

Here is my theory on the causes of unusually high rates of mental illness in America:

1. The American environment is unusually ISOLATING and LONELY, compared to the rest of the world that is. America is a corporate machine where people are all business. There is no true connection, friendship, bonding or community with others. Communication is usually business related and people are segregated psychologically. Friendships, and even relationships, are mostly FACADES. Deep down, everyone knows that no one really cares about them and that no one will be there for them if they hit rock bottom. One has to try to suppress the feeling of loneliness, because it's a taboo subject, so one eventually blames oneself. This self-hatred erodes one's mental health and self-worth.

Too many different races/ethnicities/souls/personalities/etc. You got people moving from New york, Alamaba, Texas, California to places like Seattle.

Really, the US should theoretically split into 5 different countries. Pacific Northwest, California Southwest, Middle Rural America (includes Texas), New England Northeast (includes Washington DC), and Florida Southeast (includes Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina).

California Southwest would be overrun by Hispanics, Middle Rural America would all have guns, etc. Asian immigrants would probably only immigrate to Pacific Northwest and California Southwest (both would be majority liberal Democrats).

Winston wrote:2. Americans live a very INAUTHENTIC, SOULLESS and STRESSFUL workaholic lifestyle where they deny their soul, spirit and heart to become soulless robots who only live to work and consume. They run on a hamster wheel while being disconnected from others, which is unnatural. Also, they try to derive happiness from materialism and work rather than from love, relationships, friendships or spirituality, and then they wonder why they aren't happy. All this causes a SPLIT psychosis between their head programming and their heart/spirit, which FRAGMENTS their inner state of being. Denying who you really are undermines your mental health, obviously. Additionally, being overstressed and under pressure everyday makes you weaker as well.

Americans really need to travel longer than 3 weeks. But vacation time like that is only reserved for professions like teaching, summer break and winter break.

Winston wrote:3. Americans are in an EXCESSIVE state of FEAR and paranoia, conditioned into them by their media, culture and peers. This is not good and is more easily noticeable when one goes to other countries where people are not like this, even if their country's streets are more dangerous. For example, in Russia, crimes and scams are higher than in America, yet their people are not afraid of strangers and enjoy meeting and conversing with them. All spiritual teachings will tell you that FEAR puts you in the lowest vibration density, where your mind will be less clear and your reaction will be slower. A healthy dose of fear is normal, but Americans have taken it to the extreme, and that's not good for either their physical or mental health.

Again, Americans really need to travel longer than 3 weeks. But vacation time like that is only reserved for professions like teaching, summer break and winter break.

Winston wrote:4. Americans are raised to feel like shit with no intrinsic worth beyond their job. They are treated like COMMODITIES in the economic system, which DEHUMANIZES them and REPRESSES who they are. Denial of one's true self and feeling invalidated all the time, eventually fragments oneself and undermines one's mental health.

Winston wrote:5. Americans are raised and conditioned to feel INSECURE about themselves. They are constantly judged, criticized and made to feel like they are never good enough. No one feels accepted for who they are. They constantly have to try to "prove themselves". Americans grow up with emotional baggage, insecurity complexes and insecurity issues, which are NOT major problems that people in other countries have. So they have to brag, develop phony personalities, and try to pump up fake confidence. Most Americans would be surprised to know that things like "confidence" and "self-esteem" are not things that people in other cultures have to wrestle with and try to "pump up" everyday.

Winston wrote:6. Americans are raised with a COMPETITIVE mindset where they see others as potential enemies to watch out for. Competition divides people and is unhealthy in the long run. After all, if your heart and your liver competed with each other, would that be good for your body and health? Thus Americans don't really trust other people, and they feel all alone because there is no one for them to lean on. They have NO EMOTIONAL SUPPORT from others, and so they stand alone, which WEAKENS and FRAGMENTS them psychologically.

Too many different souls, ethnicities, religions, races, etc. etc. etc.

Winston wrote:7. And of course, the food that Americans eat contains too many chemicals, preservatives and processed ingredients and additives. Much more so than in other countries. Some of these chemicals are toxic and harmful, such as aspartme, MSG, and GMO's (genetically modified organisms). These processed ingredients and chemicals act as slow poison that deteriorates the health of Americans, causing obesity and other health problems. And since there is a proven mind-body link, if the body breaks down, then so does the mind. Thus mental health is affected by unhealthy food and nutrition as well.

Doctors sell poision, especially psychiatrists. They don't care if people are eating small amounts of poison, they care if they have anxiety over it.
Public school and the people in it are fake as shit. Money and workaholic culture replaces healthy social interaction.
josephty1
Freshman Poster

Check out our Dating Sites and HA International Romance Tours!

Postby Eric » August 3rd, 2017, 3:18 am

This country has began to .....become a place where people just bitch endlessly, think, and do liberal stuff and sjw stuff. I think it's totally broken and people don't have classical or our traditional values anymore. Thanks to our school system pumping invasively 24/7 Marxist neo globalist indoctrination to our kids....,myself included, the changing infrastructure of our jobs, work, facilities to support this.
The rise of pc, eradication of our traditional values from public and turning us into a giant banana republic.

I feel like the lost generation. I am trying to hang on, to what? The institutions don't even support traditional value people who work hard and want to achieve a lot. Everything is regulated to death and literal laws have been passed to legislate this bullcrap into reality. We are in Orwells New World.

It's very insidious that liberal bitchy stuff and all the thinking about society. Thinkers aren't doers. ...I think it's been done on purpose like go back to the Frankfurt school etc.
it's a plan we are under assault and attack psychologically. It is totally against our will. It is ethically morally wrong but it is what we have to deal with,

Hang on. just keep hangin on, try and do still. Make something of your lives.
Last edited by Eric on August 3rd, 2017, 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Postby Eric » August 3rd, 2017, 3:18 am

This country has began to .....become a place where people just bitch endlessly, think, and do liberal stuff and sjw stuff. I think it's totally broken and people don't have classical or our traditional values anymore. Thanks to our school system pumping invasively 24/7 Marxist neo globalist indoctrination to our kids....,myself included, the changing infrastructure of our jobs, work, facilities to support this.
The rise of pc, eradication of our traditional values from public and turning us into a giant banana republic.

I feel like the lost generation. I am trying to hang on, to what? The institutions don't even support traditional value people who work hard and want to achieve a lot. Everything is regulated to death and literal laws have been passed to legislate this bullcrap into reality. We are in Orwells New World.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Postby Eric » August 4th, 2017, 8:34 am

Its quite easy to see that the countries dark and bad. If you're lucky enough to come from a good or intact family...most Americans aren't anymore - you're lucky. I came from a 'good' family but often times I felt cold or distant...unable to express myself. I just wanted love just like everyone else every other child. The fact my father was in the military I'm sure had bearing... Add on top of that any type of trauma or social stress and you're almost done. Factor in the isolation and crudeness of public 'education' and there's just nothing, it seems like no good feelings to keep you afloat or resilient. It can be kind of hard. Then you have a mental health system which seeks to make you into a victim. Which will immediately dis empower you while teaching you and filling your head with all sorts of lies to make you basically dependent. The same problems that plague the rest of American society.
Then I experienced the bullying and coarseness of public education. I immediately fell into depression here, and its for all the reasons Winston usually describe. It is awful and dehumanizing. As a result of shitty circumstances I have not been suvcessful. I have found myself cold, empty, alone and void. Even with a biology degree and a social sciences degree, with three National Academy of sports medicine certifications I have had trouble finding good work. Almost every job I've had sucks and the employers are terrible and work environment is unbearable usually with a shitty corporate ethos that treats you like a worthless nobody. All the jobs don't pay anything and they are sure to not offer benefits while jacking you at part-time to the max just under 40 hours. It really seems like in the last 30 years or so everything has changed so that to fleece the employee for everything, while cutting down the benefits. They have this down to a science, and I'm sure in some giant think tank somewhere they have thought this all out somewhere. Everywhere you go some black guy or a woman is the boss or some minority of some kind, because that's The right thing to do, and it's a way, More importantly to subjugate and make you bow down and it makes you be deferential and accept. There are no benefits or companies with upward mobility. I'm working part time on my own as a contractor with a buddy of mine but that's not enough. I haven't dated in what feels like forever due to financial difficulty or personal reasons. I'm trying to find reasons to go on here.
I'd like to leave, I'd like to just get on my two feet and be happy.
This place I'm convinced is a death factory. People seem shallow, disaffected and materialistic; totally willfully blind to that fact. There's that "ice wall" Winston talks about. I have family issues, personal issues, and professional issues...all issues. The women are all damaged, they all seem dysfunctional for the most part. They seem deluded broken damaged and desperate. They have so many issues not a smart man would get with one if he was smart as a girlfriend. I just stay single and alone, not because I want to but because there's no other option. I haven't found anyone worth dating.
It doesn't seem that one area of my life is going okay and providing me support. I'm not sure what to do. There is no social fabric here, it is an individual fabric. It is made up of a bunch of individuals, disconnected dysfunctional and lonely. This has to be the strangest society Mankind has known.
I'm really suffering and feeling the hurt now.
Suddenly, I understand America's opioid addiction.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Re:

Postby Mercury » August 8th, 2017, 3:08 am

Winston wrote:I just added two more reasons to my list about why Americans have the highest rates of mental illness. Here is number 6 and 7.

6. Americans are raised with a COMPETITIVE mindset where they see others as potential enemies to watch out for. Competition divides people and is unhealthy in the long run. After all, if your heart and your liver competed with each other, would that be good for your body and health? Thus Americans don't really trust other people, and they feel all alone because there is no one for them to lean on. They have NO EMOTIONAL SUPPORT from others, and so they stand alone, which WEAKENS and FRAGMENTS them psychologically.

7. And of course, the food that Americans eat contains too many chemicals, preservatives and processed ingredients and additives. Much more so than in other countries. Some of these chemicals are toxic and harmful, such as aspartme, MSG, and GMO's (genetically modified organisms). These processed ingredients and chemicals act as slow poison that deteriorates the health of Americans, causing obesity and other health problems. And since there is a proven mind-body link, if the body breaks down, then so does the mind. Thus mental health is affected by unhealthy food and nutrition as well.

Here is an 8th reason Americans have the highest rates of mental illness.

8. American law enforcement has become more nosey than ever before. Something happens or they see a lone guy approach a woman, they swoop right in and tell the guy to back off or face imprisonment; yes, even as though mingling between strangers were a capital felony under Federal law, FBI and Homeland Security enforced and investigated, and punishable by even 1,000 years to life in Federal prison and/or the death penalty, use of deadly force authorized. And speaking of the use of deadly force, it is literally exploding like Tsar Bomba all over America. Not to mention American police, when they find a person is suffering from depression, they tell him; "You can not be part of our community in that condition!" And they put the guy on drugs and order him completely isolated from everyone, or they order him institutionalized. Like even suffering from a mental illness is also a capital felony under Federal law. And where southern hospitality still thrives, especially in states like Florida, South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and such, American police are working hard to stamp it out, again like any type of mingling between strangers were a capital felony under Federal law.
Mercury
Freshman Poster

Postby josephty1 » August 9th, 2017, 5:34 am

Winston wrote:
4. Americans are raised to feel like shit with no intrinsic worth beyond their job. They are treated like COMMODITIES in the economic system, which DEHUMANIZES them and REPRESSES who they are. Denial of one's true self and feeling invalidated all the time, eventually fragments oneself and undermines one's mental health.

Generally, only professions like teaching and being a professor, could warrant you to travel for a week or two, not forgetting SUMMER BREAK.

Winston wrote:
5. Americans are raised and conditioned to feel INSECURE about themselves. They are constantly judged, criticized and made to feel like they are never good enough. No one feels accepted for who they are. They constantly have to try to "prove themselves". Americans grow up with emotional baggage, insecurity complexes and insecurity issues, which are NOT major problems that people in other countries have. So they have to brag, develop phony personalities, and try to pump up fake confidence. Most Americans would be surprised to know that things like "confidence" and "self-esteem" are not things that people in other cultures have to wrestle with and try to "pump up" everyday.

I always wondered why the federal government would allow students to borrow money for loans or the pressure to have so many people in colleges when traveling would be a better option (and it would be cheaper too). Even having federal $$ for traveling to different parts of hte country for 1 month too. Free airplane tickets. Europe doesn't have student loans and they want their universities to be very tough.

I don't think multiple choice exams are common there, but they are very common here in the US.

I have seen so many classes in the University of Washington that are so laughing easy. Here are some examples:
-ESRM 100, Rob Harrison, "Online" course, 3 Multiple Choice Tests, HALF of questions are EXACT DUPLICATES from previous exams. The Professors POSTS exams from previous quarters, knowing that fraternities/sororities have "TEST FILES".
-INFX 546, Bob Larson, EVERYONE IN THE COURSE EARNS A 4.0, all one has to do to form "iPeer group" and in the end of the quarter, check if you finihsed all 10 modules in a Google Excel document. Theoretically, you could take the course with friends, do nothing for hte entier quarter, and get a 4.0
-ARCH 150 and ARCH 151, varying professors, Most poeple in this class cheat because the tests are multiple choice and online (with a 30 minue time limit) and can be taken from something like 7AM to 7PM and they could get with a group of friends, the first person takes the test, probably using Google and Wikipedia, perhaps get a B+, and with the power of Screenshotting or video record software, the other people in the group (or potentially, the entire class) could cheat

Other examples:
-NEAR EAST 202, Gary Martin, Online Quizzes 50% of grade, no time limit, 2 attempts allowed, In-person tests with all questions derived from quizzes, so memorizing the questions in quizzes could get you 100% each time
-NUTR 200, Elizabeth Kirk, Online Tests from 7AM to 7PM
-ESS 101, Terry Swanson Reason: Test Files, then again its not needed, Quizlet and Coursehero and Google
Public school and the people in it are fake as shit. Money and workaholic culture replaces healthy social interaction.
josephty1
Freshman Poster

Re: Re:

Postby josephty1 » August 9th, 2017, 5:47 am

Mercury wrote:Here is an 8th reason Americans have the highest rates of mental illness.

8. American law enforcement has become more nosey than ever before. Something happens or they see a lone guy approach a woman, they swoop right in and tell the guy to back off or face imprisonment; yes, even as though mingling between strangers were a capital felony under Federal law, FBI and Homeland Security enforced and investigated, and punishable by even 1,000 years to life in Federal prison and/or the death penalty, use of deadly force authorized. And speaking of the use of deadly force, it is literally exploding like Tsar Bomba all over America. Not to mention American police, when they find a person is suffering from depression, they tell him; "You can not be part of our community in that condition!" And they put the guy on drugs and order him completely isolated from everyone, or they order him institutionalized. Like even suffering from a mental illness is also a capital felony under Federal law. And where southern hospitality still thrives, especially in states like Florida, South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and such, American police are working hard to stamp it out, again like any type of mingling between strangers were a capital felony under Federal law.

Without police and security guards, psychiatrists would not have much power. Many prisoners in min to max security prisons are seperated in "isolation rooms" because of "suicidal ideation" or "severe depression"

54% say police using military equipment goes too far, while 46% say it’s necessary for law enforcement purposes. Majorities of whites (53%), Hispanics (51%), and blacks (58%) oppose police using military weapons and armored vehicles. Most Republicans (65%) believe police need to use military weapons, while 60% of both Democrats and independents believe police using such equipment goes too far.
http://www.learnliberty.org/blog/11-key-facts-about-americans-attitudes-toward-the-police/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_NLf16vJ1QIVE4F-Ch209AVXEAAYASAAEgIv8fD_BwE

Republicans need to travel to countries where police GASP! don't use guns.

To show as much, the Nebraska-Lincoln researchers had liberals and conservatives look at varying combinations of images that were meant to excite different emotions. There were images that caused fear and disgust — a spider crawling on a person’s face, maggots in an open wound — but also images that made you feel happy: a smiling child, a bunny rabbit. The researchers also mixed in images of liberal and conservative politicians — Bill and Hillary Clinton, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.

While they did all of this, the scientists measured the subjects’ “skin conductance” — the moistening of their sweat glands, an indication of sympathetic nervous system arousal — as well as where their eyes went first and how long they stayed there.

The difference was striking: Conservatives showed much stronger skin responses to negative images, compared with the positive ones. Liberals showed the opposite. And when the scientists turned to studying eye gaze or “attentional” patterns, they found that conservatives looked much more quickly at negative or threatening images, and spent more time fixating on them. Liberals, in contrast, were less quickly drawn to negative images — and spent more time looking at positive ones.

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/03/republican_fear_factor_salpart/

Last edited by josephty1 on August 9th, 2017, 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
josephty1
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussions