Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Is an elite education more merit based than ever?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Is an elite education more merit based than ever?

Postby mrmillersd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 pm

http://gawker.com/5734064/jfks-unimpres ... pplication



In those days, you had to be a kennedy, cabot, adams to get into Harvard. Now, harvard has over 50% of its students who recieve federal financial aid. Over 45% on pell grants, and the most diverse class ever.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 am







Postby Cornfed » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Surely it is less merit based than ever, with the student body consisting entirely of ruling class tossers and their exotic housepets (females, blacks, hispanics etc.). Smart, authentic human beings need not apply.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4646
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby Jester » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Cornfed wrote:Surely it is less merit based than ever, with the student body consisting entirely of ruling class tossers and their exotic housepets (females, blacks, hispanics etc.). Smart, authentic human beings need not apply.


Cynical PC conformity is probably a requirement today. In other words, you should be a self-promoting commie, or else a cynical lying ass-kissing corporate-lackey type.

It was a lot like that when I was there in the late 1970's, but at that time there was still some backtalk among some disgruntled party-boy preps (and their friends and hangers-on, i.e. me). My impression from alumni magazines is that all resistance has now been silenced. Campus debates are now over things like which bathroom the transgendered things should use.

Men who want to keep their balls should consider other places, not the Ivy League.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby mrmillersd » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

did you just prove my point though?

in 1950, if you didnt go to new england prep school you couldn't even apply to harvard. now, even if you went to public school you have a chance. blacks, asians, hispanics are all allowed to apply for admissions....before this wasnt the case.


before everyone was a prep school lax bro. now, there are inner city kids, kids from africa/world, hipsters, etc.

deny it all you want, but getting into the top 1% in america is easier than ever before
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 am

Postby Repatriate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:07 pm

If ivy leagues were truly merit based you'd see something like 60% asian-american enrollment at each with Jews making up the other 30% and maybe 10% other. That's why ivy's started discriminating against asians in the application process.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby mrmillersd » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Hmm there may be a BIT more asians but i dont see what youre getting at....

i got a 2030 on my SAT. 3.5 gpa. However, I represented the USA in an international competition. I also published a book....


Im sure there is an army of 4.0 2400 asians who are pissed, but do they really add more to the community?

"merit" is in the eye of the school. Princeton thinks athletes have the most merit, considering over 50% of the student body is on a varsity team. Brown..not so much.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 am

Postby Cornfed » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 pm

mrmillersd wrote:did you just prove my point though?

in 1950, if you didnt go to new england prep school you couldn't even apply to harvard. now, even if you went to public school you have a chance. blacks, asians, hispanics are all allowed to apply for admissions....before this wasnt the case.

But they are getting there based on lack of merit rather than merit. It is because females, blacks and mestizos are intrinsically genetically inferior that they are targeted for affirmative action placings, since they are not considered a threat to the hegemony of their elite masters in the way that white men might be. No-one is pushing for affirmative action scholarships for minorities like Anglo-Saxons, Greeks or whoever. Only the genetically dismeritous need apply.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4646
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby Jester » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:59 pm

mrmillersd wrote:did you just prove my point though?

in 1950, if you didnt go to new england prep school you couldn't even apply to harvard. now, even if you went to public school you have a chance. blacks, asians, hispanics are all allowed to apply for admissions....before this wasnt the case.


before everyone was a prep school lax bro. now, there are inner city kids, kids from africa/world, hipsters, etc.

deny it all you want, but getting into the top 1% in america is easier than ever before


Yes, if you're a cyncial, lying corporate lackey-type willing to kiss PC ass, OR if you're a self-aggrandizing commissar, then it IS easier.

Point taken.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby Cornfed » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 pm

mrmillersd wrote:deny it all you want, but getting into the top 1% in america is easier than ever before

On the contrary, America and the West generally are all sewn up now. You are either one of the old hereditary ruling class, one of their Uncle Tom-type tame lackeys they might throw a bone to, or you will be reduced to poverty at some point. In the past the average bright, talented guy might have been able to get into a good school based on merit (actual merit involving getting high marks in fair exams, not bullshit "merit" involving "contributing to the diversity of the university environment" or similar nonsense). Then he might get a job working on the counter in, say, a bank, work his way up and become a multimillionaire investment banker. Now he would have no chance. To become an investment banker he would have to have the right parents and be introduced to the right people in his teens, or fit the profile to be one of their well-kept pets. There is little if any merit based advancement in the West any more.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4646
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby Jester » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 am

Cornfed wrote: In the past the average bright, talented guy might have been able to get into a good school based on merit (actual merit involving getting high marks in fair exams, not bullshit "merit" involving "contributing to the diversity of the university environment" or similar nonsense). Then he might get a job working on the counter in, say, a bank, work his way up and become a multimillionaire investment banker. Now he would have no chance. To become an investment banker he would have to have the right parents and be introduced to the right people in his teens, or fit the profile to be one of their well-kept pets. There is little if any merit based advancement in the West any more.


So true.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], droid, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests