The Grass is Greener? Do you still want to live abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Do you want to live abroad, and have already done so for 9+ months?

Yes (please mention where you lived, also mention where you want to live now)
100%
No, I haven't lived abroad for 9+ months before.
No votes

Total votes: 5
rudder
Junior Poster

The Grass is Greener? Do you still want to live abroad?

Post by rudder »

I've lived abroad before for one year, and found it to be unbearable starting around the nine month mark. Despite this, I'm still willing to give living abroad another shot, but in a different place. I think my negative experience living abroad was due mostly to the fact that I was still in the anglosphere in western Europe. I've travelled, for a couple weeks at a time, to various latin American countries, and think that I'd probably fare better in one of these places, because of the interpersonal relations I've had with the locals. Nonetheless, I'm still wary about living in another country, and a part of me wonders if it's really possible to be happier abroad over the long term.

Nonetheless, I'm curious about the rest of you all. If you want to live abroad and have already done so for 9+ months? Or if you want to live abroad, but have never previously lived abroad for 9 months or more?

Travelling around while abroad doesn't count. When I say nine months I mean nine months of living in essentially the same place in a foreign country.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Yes (Basque Country; Peru and Mexico interest me now)
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

My father worked as a diplomatic aide for the S. Korean embassy when I was very young, and we got to travel all throughout South America. My sister was born in Peru, Lol. Unfortunately, I don't remember much, as I was only a young baby. We moved to the United States in the early 80s, when I was about five years old...New York City was a much more different place than it is now, LOL. I miss the excitement of 'old New York.'

Lived two and half years in the U.K. stationed in a United States Air Force base; it was an interesting experience, but the country had essentially the same dysfunctional racial and social dynamic as the United States. I didn't like my experience over there...Lots of racial tension between Muslims, Eastern Europeans, South Asians and Whites. I generally liked Ireland and Scotland a lot more than England.

Now, mainland Europe was an interesting experience for me...I really liked France because the country seemed much more accepting of Asian men than in the United Kingdom. I also liked Germany, but I only visited the country for one week for fun.

As for Asia, I really liked Thailand when I visited the country in 2009. I occasionally travel to South Korea (since I was born there) to see my relatives once-in-a-while, but I don't like the snotty women over there. The country may have become technologically advanced as a society, but I prefer when the country wasn't as Westernized as it is now. I believe too much negative influence has changed the culture and people in the country...
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Been living abroad for around 6 months now.

I went mad in China, due to a combination of heat, humidity, stupid Chinese people, bad dates, internet trolls, bad food, sickness and a crappy apartment. It all came to a head one weekend, and I baled. But it was fun while it lasted.

I haven't got homesick at all really apart from 1 month in when I got a serious stomach upset and I craved the foods back home. I don't miss my job or family that much, I don't miss my friends because being 40 most got married and I rarely saw them after that.

Thailand is much better for foreigners to live as it's easier to find home comforts. Plus the weather is good and the food excellent. On the downside my crappy UK currency only gets 47 baht to the pound.

I think I'm suffering from tropical malaise, i.e. spending too long in a very hot and humid climate. Bangkok is after all the hottest city on the planet. It's rare these days but a lot of the English gentlemen who went to colonial places in the 19th century used to suffer from it. Maybe I need to go somewhere cold for a while, although Summer seems to have peaked here now.

As far as my budget goes, accommodation is cheap but I'm living an extremely frugal lifestyle. If you want to party hard then you'll need way more than $1000 a month.

In China I was spending about $23 a day on stuff (excluding accommodation, visas and University tuition fees).

I'm spending a bit less in Thailand which is puzzling as stuff is more expensive here.

Dating is definitely better abroad. I managed to meet 5 ladies in 4 days last week. And I've got another date lined up this afternoon.

While that's impressive, it's totally rubbish compared to some of the younger RooshV guys who are out in the field.

My plan of finding a foreign bride went a bit off track, but after dating 30 odd women this year I now know *exactly* the type of woman I want, which is going to make it much easier to find The One.

I don't know if the grass is greener - here's my account of stuff abroad that sucks.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

the anglosphere sucks bro. you need to get off the anglosphere and check out countries you like, and fit your needs.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236