What's the point in living past 50 or 60?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

yeah old man lifting weights is still old man lifting weights.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Rock wrote:
theprimebait wrote:if you eat right you can look in your 20's well into your 70s.

For example, I watched just one of your vids so far, that 50 year old Markus guy. I gotta say, he's delusional if he thinks people will doubt his age. Just look at his loose sagging neck. It looks like the neck of someone pushing 55 or 60!
I'd say you've got some pretty tough neck standards. In Markus's case, I definitely don't think it would be a dealbreaker to the young female eye. He can pass easily for 30s, IMO.

It's actually kind of amazing to me that he can eat that raw vegan diet and not appear emaciated. Apparently plants are a pretty adequate source of protein. If you want to keep your health -- in which case 50 and 60 will be just as good as any other age -- at the very least you should eat raw vegetables and fruit regularly to keep the alkaline-acidic balance in your body right.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I am 48 and for me the hardest thing is trying to find people to relate too. This civilization is pretty screwy to say the least about it.
Time to Hide!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

onethousandknives wrote:
It's only 10lbs on each side of the bar, but he's in his 80s there.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi
What do you like best about being fit?
Always forgetting that I am approaching fifty.
Ten pounds? Those are forty-five pound plates. He cleaned and jerked 135 pounds. Give it a try sometime, but be careful with your back.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

gsjackson wrote:
onethousandknives wrote:
It's only 10lbs on each side of the bar, but he's in his 80s there.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi
What do you like best about being fit?
Always forgetting that I am approaching fifty.
Ten pounds? Those are forty-five pound plates. He cleaned and jerked 135 pounds. Give it a try sometime, but be careful with your back.
No, he snatched it. And those are 5 kilo plates. There's a big 5 on them. 5 kilos=about 10lbs.

And I've clean and jerked 155lbs before and snatched 120lbs. Not that those lifts are any good, but yes.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

There is no way plates that size weigh ten pounds, unless they are made of feathers. That is the size of 45 pound plates.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

gsjackson wrote:
Rock wrote:
theprimebait wrote:if you eat right you can look in your 20's well into your 70s.

For example, I watched just one of your vids so far, that 50 year old Markus guy. I gotta say, he's delusional if he thinks people will doubt his age. Just look at his loose sagging neck. It looks like the neck of someone pushing 55 or 60!
I'd say you've got some pretty tough neck standards. In Markus's case, I definitely don't think it would be a dealbreaker to the young female eye. He can pass easily for 30s, IMO.

It's actually kind of amazing to me that he can eat that raw vegan diet and not appear emaciated. Apparently plants are a pretty adequate source of protein. If you want to keep your health -- in which case 50 and 60 will be just as good as any other age -- at the very least you should eat raw vegetables and fruit regularly to keep the alkaline-acidic balance in your body right.
Come-on, you've gotta be kidding. That guy doesn't look exceptional for his age. If you want an example of someone who looked good at 50, think more along the lines of Denzel Washington. He had thick smooth and almost wrinkle free skin, even in the eyelid area and a taut neck with no banding or rings. Another example of someone who looked quite youthful at around 50 is Tom Hanks. Both of those guys could pass for anywhere from mid-30s to early 40s at that point in their lives. But even in Hollywood, they are exceptional cases.

This Markus guy looks around his age. As I said, the weakest link in the picture is usually what an astute eye uses to gauge age.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

gsjackson wrote:There is no way plates that size weigh ten pounds, unless they are made of feathers. That is the size of 45 pound plates.
Yes, I agree. Those plates look a lot heavier than 5 kgs (11 lbs.). No way are they just 5 kgs. each.
insanity
Freshman Poster

Post by insanity »

Rock wrote:
gsjackson wrote:There is no way plates that size weigh ten pounds, unless they are made of feathers. That is the size of 45 pound plates.
Yes, I agree. Those plates look a lot heavier than 5 kgs (11 lbs.). No way are they just 5 kgs. each.
Agree..What´s the point of lifting 10kg/22lbs? My grandmother could do that
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

insanity wrote:
Rock wrote:
Agree..What´s the point of lifting 10kg/22lbs? My grandmother could do that
Well the bar might be around 45 lbs. too so u gotta add that in. Doubt yr. granny could lift 67 lbs. over her head.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Plates for Olympic style weightlifting are made of rubber, not iron. It's so they can be dropped without the plates or the floor breaking.
Those are the guys that guy coached back in the 80s and 90s. See those plates bounce around? A metal plate will never do that. The reason that plate is full size and only 5 kilos is it's meant to be a training plate, ie, to give you the right bar height to lift off the floor even if you can't lift a full size 25, 35, 45 pound plate (actually Olympic lifting uses only kilo plates, lol @ no more English standard in the rest of the world except America...)

Mind you he's 80 years old. There's other videos on youtube of people in their 70s and 80s deadlifting 400lbs and higher, though. Most people that age are f***ing broke as hell. They probably couldn't even pick the bar Ivan is lifting up off the ground. http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/01/31/Opra ... 359664519/ Oprah injured her back lifting a bushel of roses off the ground. That 72 year old guy who skates with me in his 40s or 50s was playing with his kids and herniated two discs in his back jumping off a foot high rock.

2.5x bodyweight deadlift at 80 years old. Been powerlifting since after WWII.

He's 75.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Guess you're right, because the plates labeled 20 are the same size. And I don't think there'd be so much mock celebration from the assembled if he was lifting a regular weight. But just to look at those plates, I'd have thought them more likely to be 5 stone than 5 kilo.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Just out of curiosity, are there any 50+ women you could sleep with? I can only think of 3:

Reba McIntyre
Kim Cunningham (from The Weather Channel)
Gerri Willis
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Rock wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
Rock wrote:

Come-on, you've gotta be kidding. That guy doesn't look exceptional for his age. If you want an example of someone who looked good at 50, think more along the lines of Denzel Washington. He had thick smooth and almost wrinkle free skin, even in the eyelid area and a taut neck with no banding or rings. Another example of someone who looked quite youthful at around 50 is Tom Hanks. Both of those guys could pass for anywhere from mid-30s to early 40s at that point in their lives. But even in Hollywood, they are exceptional cases.

This Markus guy looks around his age. As I said, the weakest link in the picture is usually what an astute eye uses to gauge age.
Guess we'll just disagree, as I was thinking how much Hanks had aged when he was around 50. And your avatar's body is utterly sexless to me. People looking through the same human organ can see completely different things.

Which brings me to your last point. I don't think the young female eye is particularly astute in this regard. I think they see a gestalt -- a seamless whole -- and it has a lot to do with the preconceived notions they bring. I'm kind of grateful to Clooney -- whom you've noted before as not aging particularly well -- because he seems to have helped established a new archetype that the young babes can get their tiny minds around and deem acceptable -- the older guy who's still got it going on. You're sunk with American women if you're actually a distinctive individual. You need to fit into one of their preconceived categories -- bad boy, boy next door, artsy farty, etc. I really think Clooney is helping make the decent looking older guy an acceptable category in the US.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

When I think of old guys who can still live a good life, I like to think of two famous people in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA): Randy Couture and Helio Gracie.

Randy Couture is a man who did not even start MMA fighting until he was 35 years old, and even then he didn't peak until after he hit 40. Today, he is retired at 50, but he still looks really strong. I doubt a lot of guys half his age are going to be stupid enough to mess with him even now.

Helio Gracie died a couple of years ago at age 94 (I think). When you think of 94 year olds, you think of guys who have Alzheimer's living in an old folks home who can't even remember their own names. They have drool and saliva dripping down their chins, and can't even swallow food properly. This was not Helio, who remained active, practicing and teaching Brazilian Jujitsu practically until the day he died.

Now before you all give the standard knee-jerk reaction, yes, I am aware that these men are obvious exceptions to the general rule. That doesn't mean that it is impossible for men to live a fulfilling, satisfying life after 40 or 50, well up into their 90's if they are lucky, and take responsibility for themselves.

Furthermore, just because there are exceptions, doesn't mean we should discount them. if anything, I think it is important to strive to live like these men once we approach their ages. I hope I'm in half as good shape as these two when I reach their ages.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu