Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

What do you all do for a living?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

What do you all do for a living?

Postby fightforlove » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Just curious to see if our community skews a certain way.

I am a Mechanical Engineer. What do you guys do? :P
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Postby Jeremy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Unemployed. Currently applying for fast food type jobs. Needless to say, my future ain't looking bright. All my economics degree has been good for is teaching me how utterly f***ed I am.
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Postby kai1275 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:12 pm

IT consultant.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Postby mguy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Jeremy wrote:Unemployed. Currently applying for fast food type jobs. Needless to say, my future ain't looking bright. All my economics degree has been good for is teaching me how utterly f***ed I am.

If its any consolation, I also have an econ degree and graduated peak of mortgage crises when unemployment was at its all time high (somewhere upwards 12% lol). I wrote about it on my blog and how I escaped it. Eventually, got me in banking and towards financial networks. I'm a battle hardened millennial bc of the experience.

Fckin economics degree is worthless as shit. lol. I love the subject to death, but as you already know, if you want to break in the field, you should go for doctorates. But you are flipping burgers so you're considered out already -- thats how competitive our field is. Time to hustle bro -- turn the theory into action!

I was focusing on operations research on the managerial side and was graduating when US manufacturing was being proclaimed dead -- lol lol lol. The market does not give a flying f*ck -- it never had. It's a eat or be eaten kind of existence and luckily for me I made some cash and I'm bailing the f*ck out.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Postby Moretorque » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 pm

mguy wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Unemployed. Currently applying for fast food type jobs. Needless to say, my future ain't looking bright. All my economics degree has been good for is teaching me how utterly f***ed I am.

If its any consolation, I also have an econ degree and graduated peak of mortgage crises when unemployment was at its all time high (somewhere upwards 12% lol). I wrote about it on my blog and how I escaped it. Eventually, got me in banking and towards financial networks. I'm a battle hardened millennial bc of the experience.

Fckin economics degree is worthless as shit. lol. I love the subject to death, but as you already know, if you want to break in the field, you should go for doctorates. But you are flipping burgers so you're considered out already -- thats how competitive our field is. Time to hustle bro -- turn the theory into action!

I was focusing on operations research on the managerial side and was graduating when US manufacturing was being proclaimed dead -- lol lol lol. The market does not give a flying f*ck -- it never had. It's a eat or be eaten kind of existence and luckily for me I made some cash and I'm bailing the f*ck out.

What market are you talking about? from what I can see we have a group of people running a counterfeiting operation who are attempting to lay claim to the whole world with an accounting gimmick. Is this the market you are talking about?

And by the way the real unemployment #'s are easily over 25%.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby mguy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Moretorque wrote: What market are you talking about? from what I can see we have a group of people running a counterfeiting operation who are attempting to lay claim to the whole world with an accounting gimmick. Is this the market you are talking about?

The job market. The one in craiglist, the one in monster, the one where if you submit % of application you will get % interviews. The world of HR girls, recruiters, and negotiations. Yes, very, real -- if not real, then I am not real and my reality has just collapsed. Who am I? What is this site? AAAAAAAh!!

:lol:
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

mguy
Junior Poster

Postby fightforlove » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 pm

mguy wrote:

My friend recently completed an Economics degree and is now getting an MS in Finance. Will an MS in Finance help one's employment chances?
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Postby mguy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 pm

fightforlove wrote:
My friend recently completed an Economics degree and is now getting an MS in Finance. Will an MS in Finance help one's employment chances?

Depends. Is he trying to go wall street? You have to be in certain schools for those, there are specific steps to get into wall street. My personal take on MS Finance, and also Finance community's take on MS Finance is ... it is not worth it financially. I guess if your friend was talented in economics your friend would have figured the MS Finance game.

BTW, economics and finance are different so dont get it twisted. Finance folks are money oriented in general. Economist folks are nerdier quantitative analytic type. Finance is under business schools and economics is under social or natural science. Economics is academic in nature while finance is geared for practical use.

I knew I wasn't going to be PhD material as I couldn't quite grasp econometrics easily enough, resulting to a B+ and I knew then my chances were slim in academia (even though I grad top 10% in my uni and had a 700 on my GRE quants). I compensated (stupidly) by retraining for operations research and did well with internships; however, when recession hit, I was in a field with around 100 total entry openings in north America on a good year, and during recession it would reduce to 0. The logical choice was to downgrade to supply chain but manufacturing was dead and there was a huge surplus of 30 and 40 somethings with years of experience all trying to stay industry. Carnage was what I saw on my first year in the real world. I was royally fcked with an esoteric skill that nobody wanted lol. Looking back, God damn I felt so shitty about the whole situation but it did make me travel and was instrumental in adopting this whole counter culture mindset.
Last edited by mguy on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mguy
Junior Poster

Postby zboy1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 pm

I was in the Air Force for four and half years, left, then become employed in the healthcare field. I Worked for several different companies during that time, but eventually got burned out by my career field. I couldn't take it anymore, and decided to quit my job to obtain a college degree.

Got my degree, but this was during the economic recession, so I was unemployed for a couple of years. Finally I got a job teaching English in China this year. It's been a tough decade, LOL.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby fightforlove » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 pm

mguy wrote:
fightforlove wrote:

Depends. Is he trying to go wall street? You have to be in certain schools for those, there are specific steps to get into wall street.

My personal take on MS Finance, and also Finance community's take on MS Finance is ... it is not worth it financially. I guess if your friend was talented in economics your friend would have figured the MS Finance game.

Honestly I'm not sure if she even knows what she really wants to do. She's good with numbers and seems to have an interest in entrepreneurship, if anything. I think she vaguely just wanted to wait out the lousy economy while advancing with another degree. She was thinking of doing an MBA but I talked her out of that since an MBA is a noose around your neck if you get one right out your Bachelor's with zero work experience.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Postby mguy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:28 pm

fightforlove wrote:
mguy wrote:
fightforlove wrote:

Depends. Is he trying to go wall street? You have to be in certain schools for those, there are specific steps to get into wall street.

My personal take on MS Finance, and also Finance community's take on MS Finance is ... it is not worth it financially. I guess if your friend was talented in economics your friend would have figured the MS Finance game.

Honestly I'm not sure if she even knows what she really wants to do. She's good with numbers and seems to have an interest in entrepreneurship, if anything. I think she vaguely just wanted to wait out the lousy economy while advancing with another degree. She was thinking of doing an MBA but I talked her out of that since an MBA is a noose around your neck if you get one right out your Bachelor's with zero work experience.

Yeah she sounds like a typical business school graduate. She wants to do something "business-y". MBA? My former boss (an ex army officer) rejects MBA on sight as it is "sheeple" breeding ground. I would surmise your friend does not know whatdafuq shes doing. This is all normal. I hope she doesnt have much loans or shes royally screwed along with the rest of the "supposedly" business oriented folks.

mguy
Junior Poster

Postby Cornfed » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Surely the above chick is just angling to be a corporate whore of some sort. It goes without saying that females don't give a rat's ass about the subjects they are nominally studying. I do wish people would stop anthropomorphisizing females.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby aozora13 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 pm

System Administrator.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Postby Moretorque » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Cornfed wrote:Surely the above chick is just angling to be a corporate whore of some sort. It goes without saying that females don't give a rat's a** about the subjects they are nominally studying. I do wish people would stop anthropomorphisizing females.

A lot of males are the same way.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Moretorque » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:55 pm

mguy wrote:
Moretorque wrote: What market are you talking about? from what I can see we have a group of people running a counterfeiting operation who are attempting to lay claim to the whole world with an accounting gimmick. Is this the market you are talking about?

The job market. The one in craiglist, the one in monster, the one where if you submit % of application you will get % interviews. The world of HR girls, recruiters, and negotiations. Yes, very, real -- if not real, then I am not real and my reality has just collapsed. Who am I? What is this site? AAAAAAAh!!

:lol:

Ho it's real alright but not the way they portray it, the reality of the collapse is when the mass extinction finishes coming through like a buzz saw on man's ass!
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions