Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

What do you all do for a living?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby RedMenace » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 pm

I am 19 so I don't have a job per se. I ran an underground gaming network which I made about £30 from before it was shut down due to the DMCA after about a month. I am a self taught C++ programmer(unprofessional) and web developer. Should be starting an Electrical and Electronics Engineering course in September. I am pretty much a looser right now.
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Postby Hero » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Senior Actuarial Analyst. I've never had trouble finding work in my field and I make a good salary (though not as good as I deserve, IMO :lol:) Still, I dream of quitting and getting work teaching English abroad, even if it is at a fraction of my current salary.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 pm

AS of the 15th, I will be a SharePoint Developer/IT Consultant again!
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster

Postby AnonymousAmerican » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 pm

college student/work in retail.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?t=19236
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:38 am

college student/pizza driver
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Postby Hero » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:13 am

Wow, I'm surprised that there are so many college students and recent graduates here. Usually guys don't figure out that they'd be happier abroad until they're in their 40s or later.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby aozora13 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 am

Actually, I am glad too. I randomly found this site during my senior year. At least the truth is more real in the current college grads than years before in my generation years ago.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Postby anamericaninbangkok » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 am

RedMenace wrote:I am 19 so I don't have a job per se. I ran an underground gaming network which I made about £30 from before it was shut down due to the DMCA after about a month. I am a self taught C++ programmer(unprofessional) and web developer. Should be starting an Electrical and Electronics Engineering course in September. I am pretty much a looser right now.

Fantastic attitude. Let me give you a piece of advice. Fake it until you make it.

Hero wrote:Wow, I'm surprised that there are so many college students and recent graduates here. Usually guys don't figure out that they'd be happier abroad until they're in their 40s or later.

I moved to Thailand when I was 34 or so. Back then not many thought about living and working abroad. Now it's much more common.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Postby C.J. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:51 am

I'm a computer programmer. I specialize in 2D game development and game design. I'm pretty proficient in all current genres of 2D gaming. As a result, I know alot of languages: C#, C++, GML, Ruby, Python, Blitz.

I'm doing alright for the time being. The great thing about being independent contractor, is that while you don't get a steady check and social benefits, you get to work at your own pace, choose your clients/work and you're recognized for your skills. Also you don't even have to release anything, though it helps if you wanna get recognized by big companies like Microsoft. For example, I know many folks who went from the bedroom to Xbox Live Arcade and made some big bucks. But as long as you can prove you're able to do the job, you push the buttons, and get that money.

No need to switch jobs or make any serious plans yet, thanks to some rich-ass employers. :lol:

Hoping to finish my study of music composition pretty soon. That way, I can either start in the music industry as a songwriter and go for a career of my own, or make music for others. Even if that doesn't work out, I can do the same for any game projects as every indie composer seems to be pretty amateurish. Everybody seems to use the same samples/instruments/training anyway, so it should be cake to stand out.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 am

Do all kinds of stuff but ASP, .NET and SQL Server is what I've done for most of my career.

One of my ex-colleagues just landed a $100,000 a year job doing Sharepoint.

Sounds good, but he'll have to do Sharepoint all day in some London cubicle.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:05 am

C.J. wrote:I'm a computer programmer. I specialize in 2D game development and game design. I'm pretty proficient in all current genres of 2D gaming. As a result, I know alot of languages: C#, C++, GML, Ruby, Python, Blitz.

Have you ever heard of MATHLAB? I cannot believe it's actually OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING FOR CALCULUS, ALGEBRA, AND TRIG. Fuc.king amazing.

C.J. wrote:
I'm doing alright for the time being. The great thing about being independent contractor, is that while you don't get a steady check and social benefits, you get to work at your own pace, choose your clients/work and you're recognized for your skills. Also you don't even have to release anything, though it helps if you wanna get recognized by big companies like Microsoft. For example, I know many folks who went from the bedroom to Xbox Live Arcade and made some big bucks. But as long as you can prove you're able to do the job, you push the buttons, and get that money.

No need to switch jobs or make any serious plans yet, thanks to some rich-a** employers. :lol:

That's excellent; keep fighting the fight.

C.J. wrote:Hoping to finish my study of music composition pretty soon. That way, I can either start in the music industry as a songwriter and go for a career of my own, or make music for others. Even if that doesn't work out, I can do the same for any game projects as every indie composer seems to be pretty amateurish. Everybody seems to use the same samples/instruments/training anyway, so it should be cake to stand out.

Let me know what's up. I work on music too. I do my own mastering, EQing, editing, looping, track freezing, producing, songwriting, arranging, et. al.
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:10 am

xiongmao wrote:Do all kinds of stuff but ASP, .NET and SQL Server is what I've done for most of my career.

One of my ex-colleagues just landed a $100,000 a year job doing Sharepoint.

Sounds good, but he'll have to do Sharepoint all day in some London cubicle.

What do you MOSTLY do in .NET Programming? WPF.NET (XAML/antiquated Silverlight)? WCF.NET (Web Services/SOAP)? WF.NET (.NET Workflows - not necesarily SharePoint workflows in Visual Studio)?
.NET Console Apps? ASP.NET Web Applications/Sites/aspx's running agains IIS?

SQL Server came along way from SQL 6.5 that had MS Query (LOL).

PS: Does that ex-colleague of yours have a SharePoint job being a SharePoint Developer,
or a SharePoint Admin or a SharePoint Architect (which is a combination of the former)?

Will he use PowerShell to run scripts against SP Farms as well as SP Web Apps/Sites/Subsites (SPWebs)?

I love PowerShell; it's bad-a.ss....makes cmd look like Emacs for UNIX.

If he's going to be making that much money, I bet he will be coding/developing in Visual Studio 2010/2012
Web Parts/WSP solutions and not the panzy SharePoint Designer 2010, which is good for straight-to-the-point
Workflows and ECT's, but it doesn't work well with loosely-coupled systems like BCS Models in VS 2010/2012
do. But I digress.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster

Postby Contrarian Expatriate » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 am

International Development Consultant by day but personal stewardship of Real Estate and Investment Finance portfolio.

One great benefit of living in Europe/Africa is being able to monitor and trade the markets leisurely after work.
Feel free to visit my sites and to leave your respected words of wisdom:

http://thedeclineofmyamerica.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ContrarianExpatriate
Contrarian Expatriate
Experienced Poster

Postby kai1275 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Hero wrote:Wow, I'm surprised that there are so many college students and recent graduates here. Usually guys don't figure out that they'd be happier abroad until they're in their 40s or later.

It's getting so much worse these days. I am in my late 20s myself. I have spoken to other guys in PMs that are young, in college too, that have yet to post in this thread. It really is not shocking.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Postby C.J. » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 pm

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Have you ever heard of MATHLAB? I cannot believe it's actually OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING FOR CALCULUS, ALGEBRA, AND TRIG. Fuc.king amazing.

Yeah, never really dove into it though. Didn't seem to help me accomplish any of my programming-related goals.

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Let me know what's up. I work on music too. I do my own mastering, EQing, editing, looping, track freezing, producing, songwriting, arranging, et. al.

Cool. I'm trying to write more engaging music. Various Japanese composers and Detroit techno works have helped inspire me to dissect their beats, chord progressions and arranging techniques. Now I can recognize how songwriters accomplish their desired sound, just by listening to a song. That's what I want to base my own songwriting style on - familiar yet engaging techno beats, melty bass tones and dreamy R&B progressions, however it seems that I only get pop, country and gospel ideas from above. :/
C.J.
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions