Why Aren't More Guys Here Focused on Getting Rich?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/08/us- ... 07-12.html
"US oil, gas industry employment up 40% during 2007-12"

Jeremy wrote:I just want a brainless job where I can go on autopilot all day. Like shelf stocking. Or convenience store cashiering (as long as it's not busy). Anything but fast food again. :(
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/3 ... f=business

"A typical Costco worker made $45,000 in 2011, according to Fortune. That’s compared to Sam’s Club workers’ average salary of $17,486 per year, according to salary information site Glassdoor.com."

The numbers may seem exaggerated, but I'm sure you get the point. If you have to work in shelf stocking, Costco seems better than Walmart. However, don't be "too comfortable" at your job, as many retailers have failed over the decades. Adopt a more minimalist lifestyle and save for a rainy day.
Last edited by momopi on August 16th, 2013, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

momopi wrote:http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/08/us- ... 07-12.html

Although today's energy sector is different from yesteryear, when I was a kid, during the 80s, the Oil Patch went through a huge bust, nearly 40% of the jobs there were lost, property values from Houston to Denver collapsed by 20-30%. There were a lot of tech refugees from those regions, taking jobs in New England, to pay the mortgage in Texas, while renting an apartment in Mass for work.

One way of not being fully sector-oriented is to get some additional sector *neutral* know-how like some programming/networking skills or taking the Patent Bar exam, to get into intellectual property & licensing work.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

momopi wrote:We -- you, me, and everyone else in North America are sitting on a gold mine. It's up to you to decide if you want a piece of the pie, or not. If you're inclined to depend on living in an "up and up" area, have good family contacts, part of some favored demographic, having the right degree at the right time and place (like winning the lotto), you probably won't get a piece of the pie.
In fact getting into the mining industry requires those advantages, just like getting into any other lucrative industry these days. As Amerika economically and socially collapses around your ears, you seem to want to retreat into a childish fantasy realm where everything is fine and young men only have to put up their hand to have lucrative productive jobs, but just choose not to because they are lazy jerks who want to sit in airconditioned rooms doing silly stuff and be handed money for nothing (like you). I understand that this is psychologically pleasing for you, but it is in fact just projection and wishful thinking.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Cornfed wrote: In fact getting into the mining industry requires those advantages, just like getting into any other lucrative industry these days. As Amerika economically and socially collapses around your ears, you seem to want to retreat into a childish fantasy realm where everything is fine and young men only have to put up their hand to have lucrative productive jobs, but just choose not to because they are lazy jerks who want to sit in airconditioned rooms doing silly stuff and be handed money for nothing (like you). I understand that this is psychologically pleasing for you, but it is in fact just projection and wishful thinking.

Folks from all over Canada (and few from US, including myself in the past) travel to Fort McMurray, Alberta to get a piece of the oil sands action, without being born & raised there, having good family contacts, or part of some favored demographic. It does however, require the fortitude of being able to withstand -40C temperature, and willingness to get off one's arse.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/welcome.aspx

You, you can stay exactly where you are and complain all day.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

momopi wrote:Folks from all over Canada (and few from US, including myself in the past) travel to Fort McMurray, Alberta to get a piece of the oil sands action
Wow! You've been there :shock:

I guess I'd mistaken you for a SoCal type, an all warmth and sunshine type. You've got some moxy, if you're willing to deal with those elements :wink:
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

S_Parc wrote:
momopi wrote:Folks from all over Canada (and few from US, including myself in the past) travel to Fort McMurray, Alberta to get a piece of the oil sands action
Wow! You've been there :shock:
I guess I'd mistaken you for a SoCal type, an all warmth and sunshine type. You've got some moxy, if you're willing to deal with those elements :wink:
My previous job in the MRO sector required a lot of traveling. I was on 6 different planes every week, 2 to fly out to 1st client, 2 to 2nd client, and 2 to go home. As the peon I don't get to fly first class direct, so I had to fly coach with transfers & red eye flights. I was able to visit about 20-30 US States and 5 Canadian provinces, but sometimes when I woke up, I have to take a min to clear my head and think if I was sleeping on the plane, in an airport, or in a hotel bed.

I won't drive from Edmonton to Ft Mac though. Some of the more memorable trips, driving from Winnipeg to Brandon to visit some CN Rail office when the whole place was flooded, having to go through airport security with a magnetic lock box in my luggage that looked somewhat like a bomb, and getting gunpowder grime all over my hands and cloths at Federal Cartridge factory in Anoka, Minnesota, then having to rush to the airport to fly to next client, thinking "I hope I don't get swabbed by TSA".
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Jeremy wrote:I just want a brainless job where I can go on autopilot all day. Like shelf stocking. Or convenience store cashiering (as long as it's not busy). Anything but fast food again. :(

"A typical Costco worker made $45,000 in 2011, according to Fortune. That’s compared to Sam’s Club workers’ average salary of $17,486 per year, according to salary information site Glassdoor.com."

The numbers may seem exaggerated, but I'm sure you get the point. If you have to work in shelf stocking, Costco seems better than Walmart. However, don't be "too comfortable" at your job, as many retailers have failed over the decades. Adopt a more minimalist lifestyle and save for a rainy day.
Its not inflated, Costo workers do get paid well. You get paid well serving pizza and hotdogs, more so than Mickey D's.

As far I know, the two or three in my area are not hiring...
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeremy »

The thing about those "slacker" jobs is that just getting hired is super competitive. I've applied to hundreds like that and only got one interview. They gathered about 15 of us (all with uni degrees) in a room and asked us very in-depth questions. It felt like I was applying to MI6. There was even some mid 40's guy who'd been laid off from his banking job. Must have been a huge pride swallower for him to even be there. I didn't get called back for the next round of interviewing.

Looks like it's back to fast food for me. Minimum wage, but maximum stress.
Last edited by Jeremy on August 16th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

momopi wrote:Folks from all over Canada (and few from US, including myself in the past) travel to Fort McMurray, Alberta to get a piece of the oil sands action, without being born & raised there, having good family contacts, or part of some favored demographic. It does however, require the fortitude of being able to withstand -40C temperature, and willingness to get off one's arse.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/welcome.aspx

You, you can stay exactly where you are and complain all day.
It is quite simple; in the past there were a lot of opportunities in various places but now they tend to be oversubscribed. I don’t know why you insist on posting crap like this. Motivational? Sage advice? It is highly likely that the average young man on this forum pisses away more motivation, fortitude and knowledge of the world each morning than you are likely to ever possess. You seem to serve a similar in society as some rich woman's toy Pekinese, any forays into real work notwithstanding. Adult babies who have been looked after their whole lives should realize they have nothing to offer and never did.

I spent much of last year working with fit, motivated young men doing 12 hour cleaning and maintenance shifts in heavy industry. The work was likely some of the physically hardest that the Western world has had to offer legal residents in its post-war history, which of course most men are not now capable of doing, and yet we were paid a pittance. Why? Because there were hundreds of highly motivated unemployed young men waiting to take our place.

A couple of my fellow workers managed to get into the mining industry like you suggest, but that was because of the help of older relatives who got their jobs back in the day when there were more opportunities available. Most were laid off when the factory was ungraded and production runs declined, and are now unemployed. I got a better paid and less physical (but still hard and dangerous) temporary job that allowed me to save money to travel. I count this as being lucky and didn't feel the need to lecture my former workmates on how they were useless wasters failing to grab to bountiful opportunities in front of them like me. If I had I would likely have ended up with multiple fractures and rightly so.

If you have actual, practical advice on how men might get into particular industries in terms of contacts and such then it might be good to start a thread and post it. Otherwise it would be good to try to wrap your head around the fact that the problems the West is facing are systemic, not personal, and STFU.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Working in the MRO industry can provide opportunities to build connections with heavy industry clients. But if you're inclined to think that it's impossible to get a gig without family ties, then don't bother.
The Professor
Freshman Poster

Post by The Professor »

Jeremy wrote:

The thing about those "slacker" jobs is that just getting hired is super competitive. I've applied to hundreds like that and only got one interview. They gathered about 15 of us (all with uni degrees) in a room and asked us very in-depth questions. It felt like I was applying to MI6. There was even some mid 40's guy who'd been laid off from his banking job. Must have been a huge pride swallower for him to even be there. I didn't get called back for the next round of interviewing.

Those jobs are mainly hard to get because there are so few positions like that open at any given time due to low turnover. People who get those jobs rarely quit because they're easy jobs and they're really not qualified to do anything much better. They generally never get promoted and they seldom get fired because it's pretty hard to f**k up a job like that. A lot of the people working at the grocery stores in my hometown have been there for ages.

Fast food jobs are the opposite extreme, insane turnover because people are always getting fired and quitting because they can't handle it. I've known guys who have worked at fast food places and almost none of them last more than a few months at any given chain. Assistant managers often make less than 30K and work well over 40 hours a week, so even the potential advancement path sucks.

Do you have a degree or no?
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

I've been wondering this the whole tine I've been on this website.

So many guys could be making millions as an entrepreneur if they didn't spend so much of their energy complaining.

It doesn't even take a high IQ to get rich, just STREET SMARTS.

It could be a very good goal to go for many to obtain just to get back at this society, then the people including women who treated you badly, you could just get rich and then if they want to be nice to to you, tell them to f*** off.

There are ENDLESS resources on how to get rich.

If you want to get rich, hang around other rich people and imitate them instead of hanging around losers.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeremy »

The Professor wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Those jobs are mainly hard to get because there are so few positions like that open at any given time due to low turnover. People who get those jobs rarely quit because they're easy jobs and they're really not qualified to do anything much better. They generally never get promoted and they seldom get fired because it's pretty hard to f**k up a job like that. A lot of the people working at the grocery stores in my hometown have been there for ages.

Fast food jobs are the opposite extreme, insane turnover because people are always getting fired and quitting because they can't handle it. I've known guys who have worked at fast food places and almost none of them last more than a few months at any given chain. Assistant managers often make less than 30K and work well over 40 hours a week, so even the potential advancement path sucks.

Do you have a degree or no?
Tell me about it. I only lasted one month at my fast food job and one day at my lawn mowing job.

Bachelor's in economics.
Last edited by Jeremy on August 16th, 2013, 6:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

momopi wrote:Working in the MRO industry can provide opportunities to build connections with heavy industry clients. But if you're inclined to think that it's impossible to get a gig without family ties, then don't bother.
The question is whether you can get an MRO job in the first place. It is not impossible without family connections, relevant experience etc. but you are taking your place in the queue with numerous others. I spent several trying thousand dollars a couple of years ago getting the necessary tickets and travelling to get into the industry, but thousands of people are doing the same thing and they generally weren't hiring noobs. Of course a few do succeed. Largely it is a matter of luck. For example, dump trucks have been automated to the point where women actually make better drivers than men and there was a rush to hire them, so a woman doing what I did would almost certainly be making a good living now. If a particular mine had opened up when it was supposed to I would have got a job there, but then it got bogged down in legal issues and the price of commodities dropped.

Seriously, do you really imagine that any of the "advice" you have given so far has been helpful to anyone and that men not catered to by the whorporate system won't have already considered and pursued those and a thousand other options? If you actually want to help and be regarded as a worldly wise sage rather than a stupid asshole, how about researching what is actually going on in the real world outside your whorporate daycare facilities and coming up with practical know-how based on that.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

SilverEnergy wrote:I've been wondering this the whole tine I've been on this website.

So many guys could be making millions as an entrepreneur if they didn't spend so much of their energy complaining.

It doesn't even take a high IQ to get rich, just STREET SMARTS.

There are ENDLESS resources on how to get rich.
So how many millions do you have in the bank then? Or is that just around the corner?
If you want to get rich, hang around other rich people and imitate them
Hmm, I'm not sure a $1000 dollar a day cocaine habit would be very helpful at this point.