Why Aren't More Guys Here Focused on Getting Rich?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Rich wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
Rich wrote:I'm not going to be "rich" by what many people would think of as rich but I am really focussed on having "enough" money. I don't think I have what it takes to be rich but I can get enough money for my needs.

I'm up to year 14 ie if I left my job tomorrow I'd have enough money to last for 14 years (1500 USD per month inflation adjusted - inflation rate of 3%, rate of return of 6% after tax). I'm a way off from getting to my goal of 25 years but really keen to make it.
The official rate of inflation already makes your plan flawed; The Unofficial inflation number is around 9%.

It also stands to go up, though I don't believe we'll ever experience the hyperinflation alarmist like to talk about.

IMHO and I don't claim to be an expert but it seems to me you need to project what inflation is going to be 10-15-20 years out and adjust whichever one is easier -

Lifestyle or Income source

However the truth is worst than that, since 1970 on some items vital to being considered "Middle Class" have gone up 200-300%!

Cornfed is right, the economy has been basically stagnant since the 1970's, Dean Baker has been saying this for a very long time actually.
Inflation is hard to get right. 4% might be a better estimate. MD makes a lot of valid points - costs really haven't gone up for the majority of items. In fact, things are cheaper than they've ever been. According to research by Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren (I like her economics but not her politics) the only two things that households spend more on now than compared to 1970s are mortgages and cars. An individual car is much cheaper than in the 1970s but households tend to have more than one car nowadays. In the 1950s only 15% per cent of American households had more than one car.
Who the hell are you kidding, Research by a "Zionist Harvard professor". The things that have remained somewhat constant are because we use cheaper slave labor from other parts of the world, the petro $ statist, and lower production costs, anything made here where the production side has not come down is outrageously expensive now.

There are a lot of issues here but as soon as the petro $ is discarded you are going to see the masive inflation all at once and it will be done on purpose. Go research countries using fiat currencies when things go bad with them, you can start with Argentina for a good idea of how your whole world can be manipulated by allowing the fruits of your labor to be tied to a con.

Your gonna see it in 3rd world America coming up.
Time to Hide!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Jester wrote:As HA'ers know, I usually agree with dismal views of our situation in modern AngloZone socirty. It really is that bad.

Two hour resume data entry for a grocery bagging job interview is a perfect example. (I think it was Jeremy, posting above.) Noone in American history ever had to endure something that pointless, humiliating, and obnoxious before - except slaves and convicts. Even during depressions of the past, you always got a job (or not) by showing up and asking. No groveling was required.

Modern AngloZone society wants men to be sissies and women to be sluts. There will be less friction if you comply.

Nevertheless, HouseMD is EXACTLY right about the attitude to take. I will survive. Me. Mine.

Fixing society, that does not seek fixing, is not our job. To focus excessively on helping those who don't want to be helped is a form of "White Knighting".

The survival of your own bloodline is Job One.

Ready. Get set. Go.

HouseMD is the guy we should be listening to here.

As long as you aren't telling lies, or otherwise performing unmanly acts of submission, there is nothing wrong with getting as rich as possible, even in Fed paper. Like ammunition, it can be used to acquire other things.

Once again, HouseMD -- thanks.
Yes, but I call for a division of labor and peaceful coexistence between the social critics, such as Cornfed, and the motivators, such as House. Cornfed can be vitiolic, and his world view makes you want to kill yourself, but he is an extremely astute observer of the deformities in one institution after another. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Don't try to marginalize Cornfed.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:
Yes, but I call for a division of labor and peaceful coexistence between the social critics, such as Cornfed, and the motivators, such as House. Cornfed can be vitiolic, and his world view makes you want to kill yourself, but he is an extremely astute observer of the deformities in one institution after another. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Don't try to marginalize Cornfed.
I agree completely.

Should this forum be split?

HappierAbroad.com (OR GoingAbroad.com)
vs
WhyWeLeft.com (OR WhyILeft.com)

I think Winston is mixing 2 brands here.

HappierAbroad.com should in that case include:

Photos of foreign women
Trip Reports
Reports on dating tours
Status posts from guys whom live abroad
Threads about making mobile income
Threads about overseas jobs
Info on getting residency and citizenship
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Moretorque wrote:The world wide economy is becoming so efficient that alot of jobs will not be necessary in the future and are not necessary now. People like my brother in law who is a contractor and can fix and build about anything are your real producer's society needs to maintain and advance.
As a landlord who invests in old fixer uppers (termites and all), I face a lot of repair issues. One recent example is air conditioning units. Older AC units used R-22 freon, which is no longer in production, and the older AC systems are not compatible with the newer R-410A replacement. While it's possible to use "R-22A" product in place of the R-22, the R-22A is actually R-290 propane type product that is flammable and not permitted to use in residential AC units.

For those who live in areas that get hot, with many older homes, every house is potentially due for AC unit replacement (13 seer system change) in the future. A new 3 ton unit + installation is $4,600+ if you had to replace it during summers. That's when the AC guys are slammed and can demand $4,600+ to install a $1,600 unit.

In most States, you cannot actually just go take a test or class and be certified as a HVAC (CA) or ACR (TX) contractor. You must work as an apprentice and learn the ropes first. For California you need 4 years of experience before you're allowed to take the HVAC cert exam from the CA Contractors State License Board. For TX it's 2 years before you can take the ACR exam.

Anyways, I had to replace a coil ($1200!) and spoke to 3 different contractors in Riverside County. All of them tell me that they are completely slammed during summers and cannot find enough people to help. If anyone has an interest in making some extra $$ during Summers, might want to hit up your local AC guys to inquire. Don't wait until Summers though, you need to get some training first.

HouseMD wrote: And this all is completely separate from women. All men should strive for greatness in their lives, to be mediocre and complacent is the greatest sin of men in our day and age. Imagine your ancestors before you looking down upon your life and then meeting with you. What would you say to them? What great contribution to their lineage could you be proud to provide? If you have nothing worthwhile and nothing in the works, you are hardly a man at all.
But I digress.
Quoting Sakamoto Royma and Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe), "even if a man dies in a ditch, his body is burned to white ash, a man should die falling forward."

gsjackson wrote: Yes, but I call for a division of labor and peaceful coexistence between the social critics, such as Cornfed, and the motivators, such as House. Cornfed can be vitiolic, and his world view makes you want to kill yourself, but he is an extremely astute observer of the deformities in one institution after another. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Don't try to marginalize Cornfed.
Actually, if anyone is looking to get a job somewhere, mr. cornfed would be an excellent troll to send ahead to discourage other applicants, therefore reducing the competition. Also, he doesn't need to be marginalized, as he already marginalized himself.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:As HA'ers know, I usually agree with dismal views of our situation in modern AngloZone socirty. It really is that bad.

Two hour resume data entry for a grocery bagging job interview is a perfect example. (I think it was Jeremy, posting above.) Noone in American history ever had to endure something that pointless, humiliating, and obnoxious before - except slaves and convicts. Even during depressions of the past, you always got a job (or not) by showing up and asking. No groveling was required.

Modern AngloZone society wants men to be sissies and women to be sluts. There will be less friction if you comply.

Nevertheless, HouseMD is EXACTLY right about the attitude to take. I will survive. Me. Mine.

Fixing society, that does not seek fixing, is not our job. To focus excessively on helping those who don't want to be helped is a form of "White Knighting".

Ready. Get set. Go.

As long as you aren't telling lies, or otherwise performing unmanly acts of submission, there is nothing wrong with getting as rich as possible, even in Fed paper. Like ammunition, it can be used to acquire other things.

Obviously if some whorporation is going to hand you money for doing stuff that is not too evil then you should stand around and collect the money. It is important to be realistic about what is going on though. The fact is that there are not enough middle class positions or jobs generally for everyone and there will be much less in the near future, so at some point most of us are going to have to accept that we are not going to be looked after by Daddy GovCorp and move on. Also important is giving up this really silly fantasy that the GovCorp hiring process somehow amounts to Osiris weighing the contents of your heart at the gates of paradise so that good people get the jobs and bad people don't. In a communist system like the one we have now, the rulers just give the jobs to whoever they want, and if anything they favor trash people who are no threat to them, which of course is what affirmative action is all about. Typically the reasons you are hired or not will be beyond your control.

It is also important to be a bit realistic about your chances of getting whorporate employment. For example, I think last year in America there was one graduate position for every twelve graduates. When you account for females hired as corporate whores, blacks hired on the basis of affirmative action, rich tossers whose daddy gets them the job etc. it should be apparent that for the average white or Asian guy it is slim pickings. The dickhead response to this would be to point out that some people do get jobs and declare those that don't must be lazy, lack initiative, sell poisoned milk to school children or whatever and so imagine yourself to be guaranteed a job since you are such a good person. However, non-dickheads might at some point re-evaluate whether the process is still all that worthwhile.

Ultimately, we all need to decide whether we want to be fighting each other for the diminishing amount of scraps off the banksters' table in a rigged game, or getting together to help each other escape their clutches, or, even better, take back what is rightfully ours - the contents of the planet.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:

Ready. Get set. Go.

Obviously if some whorporation is going to hand you money for doing stuff that is not too evil then you should stand around and collect the money. It is important to be realistic about what is going on though. The fact is that there are not enough middle class positions or jobs generally for everyone and there will be much less in the near future, so at some point most of us are going to have to accept that we are not going to be looked after by Daddy GovCorp and move on. Also important is giving up this really silly fantasy that the GovCorp hiring process somehow amounts to Osiris weighing the contents of your heart at the gates of paradise so that good people get the jobs and bad people don't. In a communist system like the one we have now, the rulers just give the jobs to whoever they want, and if anything they favor trash people who are no threat to them, which of course is what affirmative action is all about. Typically the reasons you are hired or not will be beyond your control.

It is also important to be a bit realistic about your chances of getting whorporate employment. For example, I think last year in America there was one graduate position for every twelve graduates. When you account for females hired as corporate whores, blacks hired on the basis of affirmative action, rich tossers whose daddy gets them the job etc. it should be apparent that for the average white or Asian guy it is slim pickings. The dickhead response to this would be to point out that some people do get jobs and declare those that don't must be lazy, lack initiative, sell poisoned milk to school children or whatever and so imagine yourself to be guaranteed a job since you are such a good person. However, non-dickheads might at some point re-evaluate whether the process is still all that worthwhile.

Ultimately, we all need to decide whether we want to be fighting each other for the diminishing amount of scraps off the banksters' table in a rigged game, or getting together to help each other escape their clutches, or, even better, take back what is rightfully ours - the contents of the planet.
Eloquently put. Your analysis is dead-on accurate.

But an army travels on its stomach, no?

Are we going to save masses of sheeple while dying a saintly death of starvation?

Seems we have to plant some crops before marching off to war.

And like the Reconquista in Spain (400 years war of liberation), this may take a while. We are going to win, but it may take a while.

Spain - 400 years to drive out the Moors (and jew collaborators)
Russia - not sure - 200 years to drive out Mongols?
Korea - how long to get rid of Chinese and Koreans?
Early Christians - 300 years to overturn Roman pagan oppression
Ancient Jews - 400 years of dependence and oppression in Egypt

I remember when the Afghans were resisting Russian occupations, and war correspondents were writing that as long as they could harvest fruit and nuts from their orchards, they could keep fighting forever.

I submit that the world will be a better place if there are some happy vigorous little cornfeds running around, breeding geometrically, while the zuckerbergs jack off and die out.

And you can't make little cornfeds without a home and an income.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote: Eloquently put. Your analysis is dead-on accurate.

Are we going to save masses of sheeple while dying a saintly death of starvation?

And like the Reconquista in Spain (400 years war of liberation), this may take a while. We are going to win, but it may take a while.

I remember when the Afghans were resisting Russian occupations, and war correspondents were writing that as long as they could harvest fruit and nuts from their orchards, they could keep fighting forever.

I submit that the world will be a better place if there are some happy vigorous little cornfeds running around, breeding geometrically, while the zuckerbergs jack off and die out.

Well of course, but the point is that the strategy of begging the PTB to fund your breeding will inevitably fail for most people because the PTB do not want quality people to breed. Hence it will be necessary to find alternatives. BTW, I'm not sure why anyone is assuming I am advocating going without an income. I’ve lived and worked in several different countries over the last few years.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
Jester wrote: Eloquently put. Your analysis is dead-on accurate.

Well of course, but the point is that the strategy of begging the PTB to fund your breeding will inevitably fail for most people because the PTB do not want quality people to breed. Hence it will be necessary to find alternatives. BTW, I'm not sure why anyone is assuming I am advocating going without an income. I’ve lived and worked in several different countries over the last few years.
I took issue with the fact that you seemed to equate attempting to achieve some degree of financial success with being a horrible person that was supporting some global conspiracy by proxy, that will gain absolutely nothing from your efforts because it will all be taken away, etc.

You are right that the hiring process is not fair. But life has not -ever- been fair, and we must do the best with what we have. If you were born with poor vision a thousand years ago, you were basically condemned to die a beggar, and that was life. You worked for your lord- there were no "jobs" per se, you were simply allowed to exist upon his land and do as you were told, and if you did not, you were generally evicted from your property and imprisoned as a rogue. Life may not be fair today, and it may not be as good as it was fifty years ago, but it is still better than it was at any point up until the post-WWII boom. You may have to work much harder to establish yourself, but if there are twelve applicants for every position, and you apply to 12 times more positions than the average applicant, you will get in. Look at med school admissions- you've got about a 3-5% chance of getting into any given school, far less so if you don't have a "legacy" connection to the school or underrepresented minority status or decent published research, but if you apply to 40 schools, you'll probably get in somewhere. You will have to save up thousands to apply, putting you at a disadvantage to those that are wealthy, and you will likely have had to work through undergrad, which knocked down your GPA compared to those that were on the gravy train, but it -can- be done. The hard part is not letting the uphill climb break you. Most successful entrepreneurs will tell you, they failed over and over and over again till they got it right. Persistence is the key to success for those without connections.

Also, thanks for the kind words Jester. And to gsjackson, I'm not saying we should marginalize cornfed, he does have some good ideas hidden under the tinfoil. But the trouble is he tends to attack anyone who disagrees with him as being stupid and whatnot, and generally will not entertain anyone's counterarguments, stating "you don't get it!" or the like, which makes it very hard to have a real conversation with him.

Also, good luck Jeremy. If it's a job at Starbucks you get two things that are key- tuition reimbursement and health insurance. And if it isn't and doesn't provide you with benefits, work there a few months and use the experience to land a job at Starbucks. A shitty job that'll throw two or three grand a semester at you to go to college can pay for community college outright, opening many doors if you pick the right major. Every shitty job is like a stepping stone that can help you make it to the next place you want to be in life, if you manage the opportunities it provides correctly.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

HouseMD wrote:You may have to work much harder to establish yourself, but if there are twelve applicants for every position, and you apply to 12 times more positions than the average applicant, you will get in. Look at med school admissions- you've got about a 3-5% chance of getting into any given school, far less so if you don't have a "legacy" connection to the school or underrepresented minority status or decent published research, but if you apply to 40 schools, you'll probably get in somewhere. You will have to save up thousands to apply, putting you at a disadvantage to those that are wealthy, and you will likely have had to work through undergrad, which knocked down your GPA compared to those that were on the gravy train, but it -can- be done. The hard part is not letting the uphill climb break you. Most successful entrepreneurs will tell you, they failed over and over and over again till they got it right. Persistence is the key to success for those without connections.
It's also possible to attend certified med school abroad, which can be less competitive. There was an article on LA Times today about attending college in the UK and saving up to $130,000 vs. bachelor's degree program in the US:
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/commenta ... 1491.story

The article also states: "Instead of jostling for places at mid-range American universities, which now have the luxury of admitting fewer and fewer students, applicants can apply to top-flight European institutions as a coveted international student."

Students in other countries have to struggle to get admitted to their top schools (Beida, Tsinghua, etc), But as an foreign student, it's much easier to get in.

I have an issue with "glass always half empty" people who like to use the "average joe" comeback. "Can an average joe do this", "can anyone do this", etc. That line of argument assumes that the opportunity must somehow be made available to the lowest common denominator. Sure, if that's the case, then I know of and have posted dish washer jobs that paid $17.30/hr in this thread. Want to go even lower? McDonalds have 20 open positions at Fort Mac today, assuming that you can handle the weather. But IMO ya'll should be insulted that I'd suggest you to go work for McD's.

Yes jobs and opportunities are often scarce, but if you're in a "down and down" area or sector, it's your responsibility to move on to an "up and up" where jobs and opportunities are more plentiful. Job conditions change and you must change with it or be left behind. Yesterday it's PMP, today it's Kanban, tomorrow is self-managing Scrum teams. Yesterday it's Java, today it's Groovy, tomorrow Scala. If you find yourself "left behind", grouping yourself with others who got left behind and complaining about it endlessly is not going to move you forward.

This site says "Happier Abroad" meaning that there are more opportunities in the world. I encourage all young men and women to go abroad to travel, study, live, work, etc. and expand their horizons. But if anyone here is a bitter unhappy old man living and working abroad, who doesn't want thousands of fit young man to arrive and compete for opportunities, then I guess that justifies telling everyone that they must have family connections or luck to succeed anywhere.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:You may have to work much harder to establish yourself, but if there are twelve applicants for every position, and you apply to 12 times more positions than the average applicant, you will get in.
While the whorporate puppy mill still works for some men, clearly there is a flaw in your thinking. If there is one job for every 12 people, it follows that no matter who does what, 11/12 people will miss out. As to which the 11/12 miss out, this will largely be outside their control. In order for it to be worthwhile for an industry to train up noobs, the industry must generally be expanding. If it is contracting there may be NO entry level jobs available. Even if there are, the HR system enforces a form of Apartheid where only certain people will be considered for certain jobs, so people of the wrong demographic might NEVER be considered for jobs in particular industries. Hence you would want some specific reason to think you were going to be the 1/12 exception.

Even if you were, it may still not be worth the candle these days. For example, if you want to be a scientist it may be 25 years or more before you are able to get a real job, be directing research and start making a dent in your student loan, so even if you win, to some extent you lose. At some point you would have to conclude that it would be better to earn a living running an online business, teach English or whatever rather than put up with such an increasingly abusive environment.

Finally, even those on the gravy train should realize that their carriage could be derailed at any time, so some attitude adjustment might be helpful. Rather than letting their idiot job form the basis of their sense of self-worth, they should probably see it as some stupid crap they are doing to save enough money to do something worthwhile with their lives. For example, where I come from during the 90s, when personnel departments became HR departments, men workers over 40 in those departments who were seen as too old to be brainwashed into the new way of doing things were fired from their jobs en masse and replaced with young females. Most of those men never worked in salaried jobs again and many committed suicide. To some extent this may have been poetic justice, as a large percentage of them would have been spitting on younger unemployed men whom they regarded as scum just because the system wasn't handing them a bunch of money. If the suicide cases had instead previously taken the attitude that they were lucky to temporarily have a source of income to enable to save to retire and raise a family in a low cost, non-feminist country, they might be alive and happy today.
Rich
Freshman Poster

Post by Rich »

Cornfed wrote:
HouseMD wrote:You may have to work much harder to establish yourself, but if there are twelve applicants for every position, and you apply to 12 times more positions than the average applicant, you will get in.
While the whorporate puppy mill still works for some men, clearly there is a flaw in your thinking. If there is one job for every 12 people, it follows that no matter who does what, 11/12 people will miss out. As to which the 11/12 miss out, this will largely be outside their control. In order for it to be worthwhile for an industry to train up noobs, the industry must generally be expanding. If it is contracting there may be NO entry level jobs available. Even if there are, the HR system enforces a form of Apartheid where only certain people will be considered for certain jobs, so people of the wrong demographic might NEVER be considered for jobs in particular industries. Hence you would want some specific reason to think you were going to be the 1/12 exception.

Even if you were, it may still not be worth the candle these days. For example, if you want to be a scientist it may be 25 years or more before you are able to get a real job, be directing research and start making a dent in your student loan, so even if you win, to some extent you lose. At some point you would have to conclude that it would be better to earn a living running an online business, teach English or whatever rather than put up with such an increasingly abusive environment.

Finally, even those on the gravy train should realize that their carriage could be derailed at any time, so some attitude adjustment might be helpful. Rather than letting their idiot job form the basis of their sense of self-worth, they should probably see it as some stupid crap they are doing to save enough money to do something worthwhile with their lives. For example, where I come from during the 90s, when personnel departments became HR departments, men workers over 40 in those departments who were seen as too old to be brainwashed into the new way of doing things were fired from their jobs en masse and replaced with young females. Most of those men never worked in salaried jobs again and many committed suicide. To some extent this may have been poetic justice, as a large percentage of them would have been spitting on younger unemployed men whom they regarded as scum just because the system wasn't handing them a bunch of money. If the suicide cases had instead previously taken the attitude that they were lucky to temporarily have a source of income to enable to save to retire and raise a family in a low cost, non-feminist country, they might be alive and happy today.
Yes, certainly if you have a job that pays well, or even one that doesn't, make hay while the sun shines. Lower your overheads and save as much as you can and achieve financial independence. One never knows when the good times will end.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

momopi wrote:This site says "Happier Abroad" meaning that there are more opportunities in the world. I encourage all young men and women to go abroad to travel, study, live, work, etc. and expand their horizons.
In that case you should be applauding me, as I have been travelling the world doing different jobs for the last ten years. However, you are not really here to encourage men but to insult them. The childish and silly insult you are coming out with is that because some lucrative jobs exist in remote corners of the world, un/under-employed men must be bad people for not having them. If you had a shred of decency you would, on a daily basis, get down on your knees and thank your lucky stars that you are paid well for the stupid shit you do instead of being one of the millions of good men whose lives have been ruined by the criminals at the top and selfish parasites like you. Instead you would rather insult these men. Disgusting.
I have an issue with "glass always half empty" people who like to use the "average joe" comeback. "Can an average joe do this", "can anyone do this", etc. That line of argument assumes that the opportunity must somehow be made available to the lowest common denominator.
Actually, high quality individuals may have no opportunity to obtain any of the available jobs. For example, to obtain jobs in remote mining towns you need money to get there, to obtain the necessary qualifications, secure (generally hideously expensive) accommodation, be the sort of person they want to hire at the time etc. It may simply not be possible in a lot of cases. You would know that if you actually had to get outside your corporate-sponsored kindergarten and do it yourself without any money behind you.

But you think that if you were in such a position you would just magically solve all these problems because you are so great, right? Well, I expect you will get your chance, as corporate welfare jobs like yours will likely be phased out over the next couple of years. Hopefully when that happens you will keep us posted on how well you follow your own advice. For a man whose professional talents include buying hippy tea and suggesting other "managers" don't spend all day in idle conversation, I'm sure the opportunities will be endless.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

In my past work-travel across US and Canada, I frequently came across small towns that had a lone Chinese restaurant. I chatted with the owners, typically a Chinese couple who traveled over 7,000 miles across the Pacific to open a small Chinese restaurant where there was none. As the only provider of Asian ethnic foods, they had very little competition serving kung pao chicken.

In one town, I encountered a French restaurant, which was completely unexpected. The owner is a French chef who traveled over 4,000 miles to America and open a French restaurant where there was none. He had no competition serving osso buco, confit de candard, and coq au vin. Osso buco is Milanese and his food is "OK", but the locals prolly don't know better. As the only semi-upscale restaurant in the area, he had all the local important people dining at his establishment. He hired a pretty blonde to work for him and married her.

Closer to home, my goddaughter's mother is a pharmacist and could not find a job in Orange County after she passed her exam. 100 miles to the North (north of Los Angeles), she was offered a 6 figure job plus hiring bonus, if she was willing to relocate to Lancaster. Pharmacists who make 6 figures don't want to live or work in the boonies (Lancaster), they want to live in nice McMansions in OC. She accepted the contract in Lancaster and bought a nice house in Palmdale.

As I've already mentioned, young men in Canada travel across the county to work at Fort McMurry, where an "auto detailer" (read: car wash guy) gets paid $19/hr plus bonus:
http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/ ... r.job.aspx

A job in retail (auto parts) pays $16-$22/hr:
http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/ ... l.job.aspx

A parking lot attendant pays $16-$21/hr, 40 hours/week:

A security guard job pays $20/hr in town, and $31/hr in mining camp:

A garbage truck driver is paid $25-$30/hr (44 hours/week + OT):
http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/ ... s.job.aspx

A warehouse guy is paid $25/hr, 50 hours/week:
http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/ ... t.job.aspx

...and if you actually have skills or experience,

A "service adviser" at auto repair shop is paid $48,000 - $90,000/year:
http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/ ... y.job.aspx

A maintenance planner with 4 years experience is paid $47.21 - $50.60/hr:

A parts manager with 5 year experience is paid $220,000 per year:

Why would a car wash place pay $19/hr + bonus to hire guys to wash cars? Because the local supply vs demand in labor favors the self-motivated job seeker who is willing to travel to remote corners of the world, where there aren't 2,000 other guys applying for the same position. There isn't enough jobs at Ft McMurry to give "everyone" a job, nor is there enough small towns out there to allow every Chinese couple to open a Chinese restaurant and be the only ethnic food place in town. But there is enough opportunities out there for YOU, YOU, and YOU. No family connections, rabbits foot, or 4 leaf clovers needed. But only if you're willing to go chase it, endure whatever difficulties that you may face, and have the good sense to move on when it's time to do so.

Cornfed wrote: But you think that if you were in such a position you would just magically solve all these problems because you are so great, right? Well, I expect you will get your chance, as corporate welfare jobs like yours will likely be phased out over the next couple of years. Hopefully when that happens you will keep us posted on how well you follow your own advice. For a man whose professional talents include buying hippy tea and suggesting other "managers" don't spend all day in idle conversation, I'm sure the opportunities will be endless.
Ah, we use 2 week sprints for our 4 self-managing scrum teams. Every 2 weeks I'm responsible for putting together a product demo to Stakeholders to show that the work we've committed to are complete and working. I have no control or power to manage anyone, but am responsible for everyone's work. If products do not deliver on time, it's my head on the chopping block. So instead of "your job will be phased out over the next couple of years", you should say "you might not have a job in 2 weeks".
Last edited by momopi on August 21st, 2013, 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

For those with Java programming skills:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIRA
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/try/
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/start
https://developer.atlassian.com/display/HOME/Welcome <--- SDK
https://developer.atlassian.com/display ... ting+Types <--- FAQ

Yes, I use this product at work and we use paid plugins. It's a much smaller niche market than iOS, but also less competitive. Might be worth a while to take a look & possibly make some extra cash on the side.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Moretorque wrote:
Rich wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
Rich wrote:I'm not going to be "rich" by what many people would think of as rich but I am really focussed on having "enough" money. I don't think I have what it takes to be rich but I can get enough money for my needs.

I'm up to year 14 ie if I left my job tomorrow I'd have enough money to last for 14 years (1500 USD per month inflation adjusted - inflation rate of 3%, rate of return of 6% after tax). I'm a way off from getting to my goal of 25 years but really keen to make it.
The official rate of inflation already makes your plan flawed; The Unofficial inflation number is around 9%.

It also stands to go up, though I don't believe we'll ever experience the hyperinflation alarmist like to talk about.

IMHO and I don't claim to be an expert but it seems to me you need to project what inflation is going to be 10-15-20 years out and adjust whichever one is easier -

Lifestyle or Income source

However the truth is worst than that, since 1970 on some items vital to being considered "Middle Class" have gone up 200-300%!

Cornfed is right, the economy has been basically stagnant since the 1970's, Dean Baker has been saying this for a very long time actually.
Inflation is hard to get right. 4% might be a better estimate. MD makes a lot of valid points - costs really haven't gone up for the majority of items. In fact, things are cheaper than they've ever been. According to research by Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren (I like her economics but not her politics) the only two things that households spend more on now than compared to 1970s are mortgages and cars. An individual car is much cheaper than in the 1970s but households tend to have more than one car nowadays. In the 1950s only 15% per cent of American households had more than one car.
Who the hell are you kidding, Research by a "Zionist Harvard professor". The things that have remained somewhat constant are because we use cheaper slave labor from other parts of the world, the petro $ statist, and lower production costs, anything made here where the production side has not come down is outrageously expensive now.

There are a lot of issues here but as soon as the petro $ is discarded you are going to see the masive inflation all at once and it will be done on purpose. Go research countries using fiat currencies when things go bad with them, you can start with Argentina for a good idea of how your whole world can be manipulated by allowing the fruits of your labor to be tied to a con.

Your gonna see it in 3rd world America coming up.
:roll:

What do you think the so-called Petro dollar is going to be replaced with? Name calling won't get you very far it stops almost all debate but you likely don't even understand that.

The biggest problem facing humanity is what do we do when machines, computers and robots replace much of what we are paid to do?

Of course you wanna go down the Rense Radio/Infowars route that says hunker down because the dark cloud is coming and there's nothing we can do about it.

As I said, it takes collaboration and putting down your axes.