Who here has this issue with languages?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Who here has this issue with languages?

Post by theprimebait »

Like you can find a place amazing,food,cuisine,environment ,philosophy but the language spoken sounds like torture music?so you don't wanna go there?

I used to wanna go to vietnam when I was into buddhism,but I found the language unbearable.it sounded like ducks.

I used to wanna go to Russia as a teen,but I found the language too unbearable to listen to.

does anyone consider sound Aesthetic important when visiting a land?

does anyone of you also like a place more if the language sounds nice?do you think its superficial?

I'm very sensitive to sound,does anyone have such sensitivity?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

It's not superficial. Some languages come across as 'noise' & can be annoying. I don't like Turkish at all, but I like listening to the persians & arabs here. I love spanish, the language & the music.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Re: Who here has this issue with languages?

Post by kai1275 »

theprimebait wrote:Like you can find a place amazing,food,cuisine,environment ,philosophy but the language spoken sounds like torture music?so you don't wanna go there?

I used to wanna go to vietnam when I was into buddhism,but I found the language unbearable.it sounded like ducks.

I used to wanna go to Russia as a teen,but I found the language too unbearable to listen to.

does anyone of you also like a place more if the language sounds nice?do you think its superficial?

Many languages sound strange to me too. Mandarin, sometimes sounds like people are saying niggah, niggah, because (na ge = "that"). Other words sound downright strange and the tones......f**k! the tones are TOOOOO HARD to get right once you get the basics down, that it just becomes downright frustrating.

Russian is even harder than Mandarin, and that was reason enough for me to avoid it. Arabic makes me want to giggle sometimes because the words sound funny. French is off-putting to me because you kinda have to use an attitude to even speak it correctly.

I strongly agree with you about Vietnamese. I always thought it sounded like ducks or trying to play word ping pong with your throat...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

kai1275 wrote:

Many languages sound strange to me too. Mandarin, sometimes sounds like people are saying niggah, niggah, because (na ge = "that").
:lol:

Sounds like a comedy scene from the next Jackie Chan / Chris Tucker "Rush Hour" movie.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:It's not superficial. Some languages come across as 'noise' & can be annoying. I don't like Turkish at all, but I like listening to the persians & arabs here. I love spanish, the language & the music.
I agree with your picks, and would add French and Brazilian Portugese.

But region matters too. Some Mexican Spanish sounds harsh and American compared to RioPlatense Spanish from Argentina.
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

Jester wrote:
Renata wrote:It's not superficial. Some languages come across as 'noise' & can be annoying. I don't like Turkish at all, but I like listening to the persians & arabs here. I love spanish, the language & the music.

But region matters too. Some Mexican Spanish sounds harsh and American compared to RioPlatense Spanish from Argentina.
Portuguese why is that???People all ways say that Brazilian Portuguese sounds bad..but i don't think so..maybe it's because you don't understand it.It is hard to understand...but Portuguese...nah man..i can't agree with you.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Mexican Spanish does sound a little harsh at times but it reallly depends on the region as Mexico DF will be different than lets say Guadalajara lets say.

I am not sure about Brazillian Portguese. It is better if you are okay in Spanish because some words and prounciation are the same.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Vietnamese... sounded like ducks.
It sounded like ducks to you. Don't say it to the VNese, please.
Russian... unbearable to listen to
Unbearable for you Don't say that to the Russians, please.

If a pretty girls speaks it, it sounds sexy and you'll like it. So, just get over it.

Once you get into the meaning of the language and get used to it as a tool, the aesthetic antipathy will soon go away. So will the mockery and resistance to it and you will see its beauty after a while. After all, the natives do not have a problem with it-- they don't even notice it-- and neither should you. Those people were born into that language, they did not invent it. They somehow like it. And so should you.

Learning a language is a big investment of time and mental power, though. It took me a year and a half to master conversational street Arabic. But Brits at my company in Saudi never studied even a word of it and they went on to bigger jobs, higher salaries and wonderful lives. So a bigger problem would actually be- is it really necessary? Most English speaking peoples never learn a foreign language and live in foreign countries for decades-- Brits are notorious for that. They have no problems.

There seems to be an inverse relationship between the beauty of the language and its usefulness as far as a tool to get money and girls.

When I was a kid, I thought English sounded almost inhuman---like dogs growling and barking-- r-r-r, bow wow, r-r-r bow bow! I hated English. Sounded so barbaric.

The resistance to something "xeno" is a natural thing and is with us from tribal times. Overcome it!

I had to learn English not by choice but by necessity regardless of how I "felt". There's no room for feelings here. So you suppress the feelings. Just like I don't like the green color of the dollar- I like my money to be multicolored like in most other countries. But I have to deal with it and get used to it.

Conclusion: if you want to learn it, start studying. You will slowly become accustomed to it and the feeling will go away. Get a young female on some language exchange site to practice with you and it will go away even faster.
Last edited by ladislav on August 23rd, 2013, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

ladislav wrote:If a pretty girls speaks it, it sounds sexy and you'll like it. So, just get over it.

Once you get into the meaning of the language and get used to it as a tool, the aesthetic antipathy will slowly go away. After all, the natives do not have a problem with it-- they don't even notice it-- and neither should you.

Learning a language is a big investment of time and mental power. So a bigger problem would actually be- is it really necessary. Most English speaking peoples never learn a foreign language and live in foreign countries for decades-- the Brits are notorious for that. They have no problems.

When I was a kid, I thought English sounded like dogs growling and barking-- r-r-r, bow wow, r-r-r bow bow! I hated English. Sounded so barbaric- so much like what some Vikings would speak.

The resistance to something "xeno" is a natural thing and is with us from tribal times. Overcome it!

I had to learn English not by choice but by necessity regardless of how I "felt". There's no room for feelings here. So you suppress the feeling. Just like I don't like the green color of the dollar- I like my money to be multicolored like in most other countries. But I have to deal with it and get used to it.

Conclusion: if you want to learn it, start studying. You will slowly become accustomed to it and the feeling will go away. Get a young female on some language exchange site to practice with you and it will go away even faster.
Ladislav,

I was only saying generally. However, if you want to talk about languages that does not sound good even when able to speak in a conversation, German is that. I know German but usualy when speaking it, sounds a little harsh not soft. Romance languages such as Spanish are not bad to her but sometimes the woman go rapid fire in the language compared to men. (another point is that I see this in almost every language. It most be a universal thing).

Yes, I did hear a girl speak it. It is not bad when having fun together so it various. Also you are correct about English speaking people (US/CA (outside of Quebec), Australia, NZ, UK) genearlly avoid learning a language, even as easy as Spanish. Russian is difficult and learning Chinese (Mandarin) is a huge obstacle but it can be done.

If you are living in a country and need it then you should learn it. It is not right to be living lets say in Vienna and not speak German with the locals but there are many English (UK) who do because it is not difficult and there are plenty of opportunities to just live there without learning the language. I met Americans too who do this. :?

Spanish speaking countries are much different in that you do need to learn the language to actually have a good life there as many do not know English or take English classes. Lastly, people told me that English does not good either but it is softer than some languages.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

skateboardstephen wrote:
Jester wrote:

Portuguese why is that???People all ways say that Brazilian Portuguese sounds bad..but i don't think so..maybe it's because you don't understand it.It is hard to understand...but Portuguese...nah man..i can't agree with you.
Naw Stephen u got me wrong -- I LIKE the Brazilian sound - drips like honey
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Asian languages are the most difficult to learn. Unless you grew up speaking an Asian language or studied it in a university, it is very difficult to learn as an adult. What makes it more difficult is that East Asian languages require knowledge of Asian characters unlike Western languages such as German, French or Spanish--that use English characters.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

theprimebait wrote:Like you can find a place amazing,food,cuisine,environment ,philosophy but the language spoken sounds like torture music?so you don't wanna go there?

You wanna stop hearing what certain languages sound like. The solution is simple, learn to understand the language in question and u will no longer hear what it sounds like. Cus your brain will focus on the meanings. To this day, I have no idea what standard American English sounds like cus when people speak it, my brain is thinking of whatever is being said. I used to know what Mandarin sounded like but that's a distant memory cus now I understand it. So if u wanna stop hearing the noise created by an language that may sound weird to you (perhaps Vietnamese, Cantonese, Tagalog, German, etc.), just learn the language, lol.
ContraMundumRants
Freshman Poster

Post by ContraMundumRants »

I don't understand the issues some people have with languages.

As ladislav has said, if a hot girl speaks the language, I am going to go all-out
to try to learn her language.

The other benefit of knowing foreign languages which no one has mentioned is
the kind of dirty talk you can get to do while having sex.

I am a native Spaniard, so when I have sex with a girl who doesn't speak Spanish,
I start uttering dirty things in Spanish, and she goes crazy! You would have
to see it to believe it.
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

I like Japanese,brazilian portuguese,boricua spanish,spanish spanish,Turkish,persian,levantine arabic,Hebrew.my fav sounding language is by far modern Hebrew.I like french,and I like estonian.

I don't like english,except australian wich I love alot.southern american accents are sexy on women though.I don't like Arabic at all,although lebanese arabic is oke.

Dutch,swedish,noregian .lol horrible

but I guess ladislav is right,when I first learned dutch,it sounded so hard.I could not comprehend how people learn it.now I speak it like a native and it sounds good.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

theprimebait wrote:
August 23rd, 2013, 11:38 am

Yes, I can relate to that sentiment.

I absolutely love the sound of certain languages but utterly can't stand others.

I don't care how useful a language is supposed to be. If I don't like it from an aesthetic standpoint, then I simply can't bear to listen to it and don't want anything to do with it.

That even includes my native language of British English. I find it totally hideous and absolutely hate speaking it. I refuse to watch British TV programs. I actively avoid British people outside of family and a small number of close friends. The sound of British English disgusts me and even induces a feeling of melancholy.

Instead I adore Spanish, love living in a Spanish-speaking country and speak nothing but Spanish whenever possible. I only date Latinas who speak Spanish as their first language. I often exhibit an attitude of cultural chauvinism for the language and regard it as aesthetically and morphologically superior to English and all other Germanic languages. I wouldn't ever date a non-Spanish speaker no matter how hot she was.

Everything feels happier and more fun when I speak Spanish and am living in a Spanish-speaking environment. I feel like I am constantly being enveloped by a sense of joy and brimming with passion for life. I feel like I'm on a near-permanent psilocybin-induced high. ¡Me encanta! ¡Dame un besito! ¡Y no soy mariquita eh!