Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Can't get ANY job

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Teal Lantern » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 pm

zacb wrote:The only problem with ios is that I believe you need a Mac in order to program for it (last I checked). But since I am kinda in love with Android, I ill definitely. I am also considering the Microsoft infrastructure (which includes Xbox, Windows Phone, and Mono, which can run cross platform on ios, as well as a few other systems), but the only problem is I would need to learn C#, which I might learn after Java. So yeah, I am on board. Now just to Finish learning Java and to then learn Android :D.

It's a wide open world out there.
Some fan boys will give you grief about what language an app is written in, but most people just want the thing to work.

If you're still into the hobby boards like Beagle, arduino, etc, have a look at this vid (hat tip to DJ4$) showing an arduino system used to monitor & control an aquaponics garden.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 am

Teal Lantern wrote:
zacb wrote:The only problem with ios is that I believe you need a Mac in order to program for it (last I checked). But since I am kinda in love with Android, I ill definitely. I am also considering the Microsoft infrastructure (which includes Xbox, Windows Phone, and Mono, which can run cross platform on ios, as well as a few other systems), but the only problem is I would need to learn C#, which I might learn after Java. So yeah, I am on board. Now just to Finish learning Java and to then learn Android :D.

It's a wide open world out there.
Some fan boys will give you grief about what language an app is written in, but most people just want the thing to work.

If you're still into the hobby boards like Beagle, arduino, etc, have a look at this vid (hat tip to DJ4$) showing an arduino system used to monitor & control an aquaponics garden.

That is true, he could build up a system that's fully self-contained and offer setup assistance and tech support for an additional cost.

Aquaponics is gaining in popularity and I want to explore some business ideas with it since some crops can be grown incredibly fast with this technique.

Being your own boss is the route many should go.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Honestly? If you've got any sort of social issues, ie, I have Aspergers and NLD, I will say being good looking will cover of a multitude of flaws. The way people treat me now as a semi-muscular and not fat 180lb person is entirely different from when I was 230ish pounds. Part of this is the obvious, that other people do like you better when you're better looking, but also there's the positive reenforcement of people hating you less. Also, it's not even "self esteem" either. Hell, now when I'm better looking I probably have much worse "self esteem" so I don't think the whole "oh it's just because you're more confident blah blah confidence conquers everything lolol" thing matters a lot.

Also, if you're fat, you have less than optimal hormone balance more than likely. When I started working out more, my eye contact, something that's always been an issue for me, improved vastly. Now it's so improved people think I'm like staring them down. I didn't even "work" specifically on my eye contact, just by getting healthier and probably having more testosterone, it improved.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 04842.html

Also, a "job" in my opinion should only be used as a short term solution so you can start your own ways of making money with your own businesses, etc. You should not get caught in a cycle of working at a "job" forever. However, I do feel a "job" is needed for inertia money, if that makes sense. IE, I can't go overseas as I have no money. I could use a credit card I guess, but I'd rather use real money. So thus I need a job and/or to sell things, or both. That makes sense? A job is only a means to an end, not some magic life fulfilling thing in itself.

My last job, and last interviews, went so much better thanks to being good looking, though. So keep that in mind.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby rudder » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:04 am

you say you have aspergers. How do you know? Did someone diagnose you? What exactly does Aspergers entail?

One problem I notice with the whole job debate everywhere in society is that there is way too much empasis on the what. The what should just be an afterthought. The most important factor is the who. Who are you working with? Do you feel good to be around these people? That's the most important thing. If the job doesn't give you good opportunities to interact with stimulating people, then forget it.
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby zacb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:17 pm

rudder wrote:you say you have aspergers. How do you know? Did someone diagnose you? What exactly does Aspergers entail?

One problem I notice with the whole job debate everywhere in society is that there is way too much empasis on the what. The what should just be an afterthought. The most important factor is the who. Who are you working with? Do you feel good to be around these people? That's the most important thing. If the job doesn't give you good opportunities to interact with stimulating people, then forget it.

Is that in reference to me? Or the other guy? As for me, I have never been able to quite relate to people, was obbsessed about things, quite inelligent, plus talked with a counsellor about it, and although he never diagnosed me with it, he said it was very possible.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby rudder » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 am

It's a reference to the other guy. Are there any advantages to having Aspergers? Can you get money from the state?
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby Halwick » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Jeremy wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
HouseMD wrote:Jeremy, what part of the country do you live in? Also, what is your height/weight/looks? Are you socially well adjusted? I am looking for your weakness. Once we find that, we can make you a stronger applicant. So be honest with us, what are your greatest weaknesses and faults?

Vancouver, Canada. 6'2.75", 143 lbs., white, about a 5 facially. Normal social skills.

I don't think it's a character flaw or anything like that; I was able to find full time work pretty easily before the economy collapsed.

Is it possible that you give the impression that the jobs you are working are beneath you? Or that you don't seem genuinely interested in them as more than a stepping stone? It is also tough to get a low end job once you have an education and are "overqualified". Given the choice between the kid that has a high school diploma and no options that might stick around and the kid with some college education that will book the first time something better opens up, it just makes sense to take the former. Shit jobs aren't looking for a good employee, they are looking for lifers.

It's possible. I try to come off as genuine, but maybe I'm just not a good enough actor.

I should also mention I have landed a few of those shit jobs in the past few years. But they never lasted more than a month, and it always took a long time to find another one.

Look through the internet on improving resumes and interviewing skills. Use a functional style resume that emphasizes your skills and capabilities, not your job history.

As for interviewing skills, most interviews questions goes like this: Give a situation where you encountered a problem. What was the problem and what did you do? What was the outcome as a result of your decisions?

Draw on your experiences and try to demonstrate how you can help them. Remember John F. Kennedy's quote: "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what YOU can do for your country." That's what employers are looking for: What can you do for them and why should they hire you. Don't be a pushy and overly aggressive.

Whatever you do, don't try to hide anything or come across as deceptive or evasive. Just be straightforward and straight arrow. If you don't know the answer, just be honest and say you don't know but you'll research it and get an answer.

Once I interviewed for an engineering job at a aerospace company. The interviewer asked me to state the chemical symbol and properties of a certain rocket fuel. I thought it was an odd question and felt it wasn't really relevant to the job. Of course I didn't have an answer and didn't try to BS him. I simply stated to him I didn't know, but I'll research it and get you an answer. I got the job. After I was hired, my new boss told me the purpose of that odd question was to evaluate my honesty and integrity. Many candidates tried to BS him and I was the only one honest enough to admit I didn't know and that impressed him. Then he asked me for the rocket fuel report. Glad I researched it after the interview. :lol:
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Halwick wrote:Once I interviewed for an engineering job at a aerospace company. The interviewer asked me to state the chemical symbol and properties of a certain rocket fuel. I thought it was an odd question and felt it wasn't really relevant to the job. Of course I didn't have an answer and didn't try to BS him. I simply stated to him I didn't know, but I'll research it and get you an answer. I got the job. After I was hired, my new boss told me the purpose of that odd question was to evaluate my honesty and integrity. Many candidates tried to BS him and I was the only one honest enough to admit I didn't know and that impressed him. Then he asked me for the rocket fuel report. Glad I researched it after the interview. :lol:

Of course a different interviewer might have hired one of the candidates who BSed him, as BSing might have been part of the job.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zacb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Cornfed wrote:
Halwick wrote:Once I interviewed for an engineering job at a aerospace company. The interviewer asked me to state the chemical symbol and properties of a certain rocket fuel. I thought it was an odd question and felt it wasn't really relevant to the job. Of course I didn't have an answer and didn't try to BS him. I simply stated to him I didn't know, but I'll research it and get you an answer. I got the job. After I was hired, my new boss told me the purpose of that odd question was to evaluate my honesty and integrity. Many candidates tried to BS him and I was the only one honest enough to admit I didn't know and that impressed him. Then he asked me for the rocket fuel report. Glad I researched it after the interview. :lol:

Of course a different interviewer might have hired one of the candidates who BSed him, as BSing might have been part of the job.

As was the case of John Perkins in Economic Hitman.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby Halwick » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Cornfed wrote:

You miss the point of the anecdote: the importance of honesty and integrity. I was the only one during that interview process who displayed that characteristic and to the boss, that was an important personal requirement.

Of course most sales and marketing job requires the ability to BS convincingly. Car sales and cell phone sales are the most notorious examples. BS, cheating, lying is rewarded whereas honesty, integrity and ethics is not. But if you feel comfortable being a BS artist, go for it. Just remember what goes around comes around.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Halwick wrote: You miss the point of the anecdote: the importance of honesty and integrity.

While being caught in lies is obviously a bad thing, in the vast majority of jobs a person with integrity would be seen as a dangerous loose cannon. If traits like honesty and integrity were generally valued, how do you explain the employment of Western skanks, who are pathological liars and lack the vaguest concept of integrity? In fact, employment is not some kind of cosmic merit-badge competition. They are just looking for people who fit their agenda or the agenda of whoever is pulling their strings.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Halwick » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:18 am

[quote="Cornfed"][quote="Halwick"] You miss the point of the anecdote: the importance of honesty and integrity. [/quote]
While being [i]caught[/i] in lies is obviously a bad thing, in the vast majority of jobs a person with integrity would be seen as a dangerous loose cannon. If traits like honesty and integrity were generally valued, how do you explain the employment of Western skanks, who are pathological liars and lack the vaguest concept of integrity? In fact, employment is not some kind of cosmic merit-badge competition. They are just looking for people who fit their agenda or the agenda of whoever is pulling their strings.[/quote]

My story took place 35 years ago when ethics and integrity meant something and was valued in an employee in that particular company.

Obviously times have changed. If one has to be a pathological liar and lack integrity to be employable, then we as a country are in a sad state of affairs.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 pm

rudder wrote:It's a reference to the other guy. Are there any advantages to having Aspergers? Can you get money from the state?

I've had like 3 separate psychologists diagnose me with it, but the diagnosis only came after running neurological tests. Before my neurological tests people just said I was "depressed" or whatever.

Can I get money from the state? Maybe? My last job was gotten through a BRS state agency and was a paid internship, paid minimum wage with federal dollars. My counselor at BRS wanted me to try working before just giving me money for free. I could apply if I wanted to, to SSI, but meh. That'd be up to the SSI "court" if I did or didn't.

As far as treatments I've only figured out a bunch of Chinese herbs/etc, maybe some Russian pharmaceuticals. It's really a pointless diagnosis as nobody can really help you after you get it. Any treatment around is designed for younger children in a school environment. As an adult, it's more "well uh, that sucks, good luck I guess." After seeing one psychologist, when I asked him about it, he said "well, I can't do anything for you about your Aspergers or whatever as an adult. I can give you drugs? Do you want any drugs? I can give you anti-depressents, anti-anxiety..." I fail to see how it's so positive of a diagnosis for some people, as nobody can do anything to treat it and nobody in your daily life will give a f**k if you tell them about it and will still say "you're so smart" and expect a lot from you.

You miss the point of the anecdote: the importance of honesty and integrity. I was the only one during that interview process who displayed that characteristic and to the boss, that was an important personal requirement.

Of course most sales and marketing job requires the ability to BS convincingly. Car sales and cell phone sales are the most notorious examples. BS, cheating, lying is rewarded whereas honesty, integrity and ethics is not. But if you feel comfortable being a BS artist, go for it. Just remember what goes around comes around.

Is true. I interviewed at Radio Shack. The guy straight out told me "Yeah man, you need to learn to bullshit better." Because he asked me to talk to him about a phone without me knowing much about the phone. Also, nowadays since we're a complete consumer society that doesn't actually produce or really "do" much of anything, the only jobs around are selling things or flipping burgers.

Obviously times have changed. If one has to be a pathological liar and lack integrity to be employable, then we as a country are in a sad state of affairs.

Which is why people are moving out and nobody wants to move here except people from very very third world countries.

Anyway, one place you should MAYBE look for jobs, and this is where I got my government (lol) job. Labor unions. I worked for the state employee labor unions filing papers. Many are fairly "closed" but in my experience not much paper work/etc gets done in time, so they need more temps to do stuff like that. Also they hire people to organize protests, or go to places and try to get them unionized. Also you can go be a bargainer and negotiate pay raises/etc. The "organizer" roles aren't big for hiring, but they might need paper shufflers. Seriously, just look for the offices of labor unions and get an application, might have a position available. Maybe. With the fast food workers wanting to unionize/etc, maybe more openings for organizers.

Another big job opening is elderly companion. You go to their house, watch them, talk to them, cook their meals, etc. If you have a nursing assistant license or LPN or RN license you get paid more but have to actually do medical stuff and/or help them wipe after the toilet/etc. Many of those are really hurting for people.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby zacb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:15 am

Perhaps you could try programming, if computers are your thing. The problem if you are diagnosed (which I am not), is it shows in your health records that employers look through, and then you're a goner. So I think it is best to try and find employment through others ways. You might also consider the State Dept. (Or foreign affairs dept. if you are outside the US) . If I can't find a job, I might try my hand at being a diplomat. They pay well, and you get to travel. Just some thoughts.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby rudder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:40 am

Cornfed wrote: In fact, employment is not some kind of cosmic merit-badge competition.

Haha, you crack me up, Cornfed.
rudder
Freshman Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions