Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Can't get ANY job

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Can't get ANY job

Postby momopi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Jeremy wrote:We don't get paid for our plasma in Canada.


For those living in Toronto:
http://www.giveplasma.ca/compensation

Since you're in Vancouver, that'd be a bit far. But would it be possible for Canadians to go to US side and get paid for donating plasma? Might be worth looking into, since Vancouver is next door to US border.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4711
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am
Location: Orange County, California







Postby zacb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:39 pm

djfourmoney wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
publicduende wrote: It's true, the UK too are full of unemployed people, and actually always have. Problem is, those people are usually the extremely lazy and/or problematic one. It doesn't seem to be your case. Good luck!

Lol, I guess it is easy to think there is no shortage of employment if you simply declare that millions of unemployed people don't want jobs. I suppose your explanation of the events of '08 would be that millions of people all over Britain and the world woke up one morning and, suddenly and for no apparent reason, all decided they wanted to be welfare layabouts. Same with 1929 no doubt. And people who are starving? Why, obviously they are just too lazy to put food into their mouths. Naturally if these people stopped being so lazy, an unlimited amount of jobs and food for them would immediately magically be puffed into existence. The financial system is perfect, you see. All hail the Jews.


I here this Libertarian based nonsense every so often. The problem isn't the system, you're just not manipulating it correctly. Riiight....

In 2008 there were millions of people laid off because companies saw demand topple. But when some demand was restored, they didn't rehire those workers, why?

Make your current employees work harder (I saw this try to play itself out at my old job) for the same pay and bring in more automation, like at Amazon warehouses.

So while I get EBT and won't take stupid jobs, the reality is even dumb jobs like cashier are not in my area and since I don't have a car, using public transportation isn't possible, it's actually unreasonable.

Plenty of people in the same circumstances, that's why SSI-D applicants have skyrocketed. These are mostly people that have exhausted their unemployment benefits.

Enrollment in to all sorts of secondary education has never been higher, but that hasn't resulted in more jobs being offered. Sure there some fields that are short on workers but the majority of them are in parts of the country nobody wants to live.

Recently I saw a story about couples not divorcing but actually living in two residences as many are choosing to make it work even if one spouse is working in another state or even another part of the country.

Americans are/have adjusted to the crisis but the suffering continues, so its NOT the workers fault. The system has been changed (over time) to put you under its thumb.


Not to be nit picky, but technically that would be a conservative argument.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA[/youtube]
While he does not speak for everyone, I think this is general libertarian thinking. And while of course we would argue that the more welfare there is, the less generally people work (ie France). But I believe that libertarians would attribute this to poor economics, then due to millions of people being lazy (and the arguments about people being lazy generally apply to the welfare queens).
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Postby zacb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:
zacb wrote:I am starting to wonder if I should look for jobs elsewhere in the state. IDK. Perhaps after the year after this, I will take a year off and work someplace down state. Right now, there are only 125 listings on indeed. I have applied for quite a few. In the mean time I think I will develop my Java skills.


That's a very smart idea.

It's all relative:

If you are employed you can earn money to put in the bank to save up for going overseas (and once overseas, start learning a marketable skill).

If you're unemployed you can use the time that you otherwise wouldn't have to hone in on marketable skills, which can earn you income online while you are overseas.

First, use these skills to freelance. Then, some time later, apply these skills to your own business when you come up with a good idea.


The more I think about this, the more I like it. I am on page 334 of 1020 on my Java book :D. Learned all the basics (I think XD ). What do you think if I have a million ideas for apps or such? Should I market them, or just try freelance first?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Postby momopi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:35 am

zacb wrote:The more I think about this, the more I like it. I am on page 334 of 1020 on my Java book :D. Learned all the basics (I think XD ). What do you think if I have a million ideas for apps or such? Should I market them, or just try freelance first?



If you have lots of ideas for apps, you can get iOS and Android SDK, or alternatives like Buzztouch and Game Salad. If you want to be a java developer, check out Atlassian web site. They have a marketplace for devs to sell plug-ins, and many plug-ins stop working after a major revision of the software. However not all devs are avail (or still around) to update the plug-ins, so that's a possible niche where you could look into.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

If you happen to see a lot of people complaining about a certain plugin that won't run on latest version of JIRA (or confluence or whatever) and the dev is nowhere to be found...
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4711
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Postby xiongmao » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:45 am

Well I started Happier Back Home for all the people who think going abroad is going to solve all their problems.

Actually Thailand is full of foreigners who have come here to try and solve their problems.

The reality is that your life overseas will probably be pretty much the same as it was back home. Mine is near identical, but all that's changed is that I'm 100% self employed now.

As far as jobs go, there are jobs overseas but you need a niche. I saw a programming job here recently. There are very few skilled Thais, and a foreigner could easily have got the job. Unemployment is less than 1% here.

In IT you need a niche and experience of working in that niche.

Always be on the lookout for IDEAS. I saw some cool software when I worked in London. It was a small niche idea - too small for employers. But the following year I lost my job, and spent 10 weeks making my own version of that software to sell online. I ended up selling almost $100,000 worth of it over 10 years.

In English teaching you need to choose your gig carefully. The teachers at my University back in China were having the time of their lives. But next door in the private college I heard the teachers couldn't leave the grounds all day. Another tip is to no get involved in office politics. Go to school, go to your class, then go home.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: London

Postby zacb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:43 pm

momopi wrote:
zacb wrote:The more I think about this, the more I like it. I am on page 334 of 1020 on my Java book :D. Learned all the basics (I think XD ). What do you think if I have a million ideas for apps or such? Should I market them, or just try freelance first?



If you have lots of ideas for apps, you can get iOS and Android SDK, or alternatives like Buzztouch and Game Salad. If you want to be a java developer, check out Atlassian web site. They have a marketplace for devs to sell plug-ins, and many plug-ins stop working after a major revision of the software. However not all devs are avail (or still around) to update the plug-ins, so that's a possible niche where you could look into.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

If you happen to see a lot of people complaining about a certain plugin that won't run on latest version of JIRA (or confluence or whatever) and the dev is nowhere to be found...


The only problem with ios is that I believe you need a Mac in order to program for it (last I checked). But since I am kinda in love with Android, I ill definitely. I am also considering the Microsoft infrastructure (which includes Xbox, Windows Phone, and Mono, which can run cross platform on ios, as well as a few other systems), but the only problem is I would need to learn C#, which I might learn after Java. So yeah, I am on board. Now just to Finish learning Java and to then learn Android :D.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Postby SilverEnergy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Get your certifications in stuff like Comptia Security. They have inexpensive study guides.

Also if you can, learn how to become an entrepreneur and an investor, then you won't have to complain about not finding a job.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Postby zacb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:43 pm

SilverEnergy wrote:Get your certifications in stuff like Comptia Security. They have inexpensive study guides.

Also if you can, learn how to become an entrepreneur and an investor, then you won't have to complain about not finding a job.


I have already learned about stocks, gold, and silver. Now just to learn the entrepreneur part more. :D
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Can't get ANY job

Postby Teal Lantern » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:42 pm

djfourmoney wrote: True...

I gave some suggestions they were ignored, which I am not surprised. One of them is an opportunity to be self-employed, but nope.

When real workable options have to compete in the idea space against suggestions to engage in seduction or fraud, because doing some grunt work or getting their hands dirty is considered too slow or for suckers, there's not much you can do but step back and shake your head.
Oh, well. <shrug>
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Postby Winston » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Why don't you just go to a temp agency like Kelly Services or Manpower? They've always gotten me work whenever I wanted it.

If there are hardly any jobs left, then why do the classifieds of any US newspaper or internet job board always advertise so many positions? Am I missing something here?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Jeremy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Winston wrote:Why don't you just go to a temp agency like Kelly Services or Manpower? They've always gotten me work whenever I wanted it.

If there are hardly any jobs left, then why do the classifieds of any US newspaper or internet job board always advertise so many positions? Am I missing something here?


Temp agencies wouldn't be of much help. All they do is get you interviews, which I can do on my own.

Keep in mind those jobs advertised online either have very specific requirements or no requirements at all (in which case hundreds of people will apply).

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I finally landed something (only because I had this job in my teens).
Jeremy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 am

Postby Moretorque » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:25 am

SilverEnergy wrote:Get your certifications in stuff like Comptia Security. They have inexpensive study guides.

Also if you can, learn how to become an entrepreneur and an investor, then you won't have to complain about not finding a job.


Do you not get not yet? all free and open markets are being rigged and manipulated, either you get connected to the credit monopoly mafia or you are on the outside looking in.

In order to be a true entrepreneur you need free and open markets which we do not have that at all on the upper end. Your best bet is to try and prepare and hide unless you want to get connected. More than likely most people who understand what is really going on think this house of cards is going to implode and when it does take alot of us with it.

You can't eat silver you know.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Postby Winston » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 am

Jeremy wrote:
Winston wrote:Why don't you just go to a temp agency like Kelly Services or Manpower? They've always gotten me work whenever I wanted it.

If there are hardly any jobs left, then why do the classifieds of any US newspaper or internet job board always advertise so many positions? Am I missing something here?


Temp agencies wouldn't be of much help. All they do is get you interviews, which I can do on my own.

Keep in mind those jobs advertised online either have very specific requirements or no requirements at all (in which case hundreds of people will apply).

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I finally landed something (only because I had this job in my teens).


That's not true. Go visit them and you will see. My temp agencies just gave me jobs and assignments and told me where to go. They don't send you to interviews.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby gsjackson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:28 am

If you have a bachelor's degree, as you say, you can always substitute teach. At least in any state in the US. It usually pays about 70 to 100 bucks a day, and you work when you want. I've sometimes done it between professions, and kind of liked it, especially when I was young. If the school girls like your look, they will really build your ego up. There are days where the kids are bratty, but it beats the hell out of flipping burgers.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA

Postby djfourmoney » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:31 am

zacb wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
publicduende wrote: It's true, the UK too are full of unemployed people, and actually always have. Problem is, those people are usually the extremely lazy and/or problematic one. It doesn't seem to be your case. Good luck!

Lol, I guess it is easy to think there is no shortage of employment if you simply declare that millions of unemployed people don't want jobs. I suppose your explanation of the events of '08 would be that millions of people all over Britain and the world woke up one morning and, suddenly and for no apparent reason, all decided they wanted to be welfare layabouts. Same with 1929 no doubt. And people who are starving? Why, obviously they are just too lazy to put food into their mouths. Naturally if these people stopped being so lazy, an unlimited amount of jobs and food for them would immediately magically be puffed into existence. The financial system is perfect, you see. All hail the Jews.


I here this Libertarian based nonsense every so often. The problem isn't the system, you're just not manipulating it correctly. Riiight....

In 2008 there were millions of people laid off because companies saw demand topple. But when some demand was restored, they didn't rehire those workers, why?

Make your current employees work harder (I saw this try to play itself out at my old job) for the same pay and bring in more automation, like at Amazon warehouses.

So while I get EBT and won't take stupid jobs, the reality is even dumb jobs like cashier are not in my area and since I don't have a car, using public transportation isn't possible, it's actually unreasonable.

Plenty of people in the same circumstances, that's why SSI-D applicants have skyrocketed. These are mostly people that have exhausted their unemployment benefits.

Enrollment in to all sorts of secondary education has never been higher, but that hasn't resulted in more jobs being offered. Sure there some fields that are short on workers but the majority of them are in parts of the country nobody wants to live.

Recently I saw a story about couples not divorcing but actually living in two residences as many are choosing to make it work even if one spouse is working in another state or even another part of the country.

Americans are/have adjusted to the crisis but the suffering continues, so its NOT the workers fault. The system has been changed (over time) to put you under its thumb.


Not to be nit picky, but technically that would be a conservative argument.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA[/youtube]
While he does not speak for everyone, I think this is general libertarian thinking. And while of course we would argue that the more welfare there is, the less generally people work (ie France). But I believe that libertarians would attribute this to poor economics, then due to millions of people being lazy (and the arguments about people being lazy generally apply to the welfare queens).


That's a conservative argument?

I blame the Government because its captured by Big Business and Big Business uses Government to keep its competitive advantage in the marketplace.

You can't call that Capitalism....

French People are lazy?????

Wow, just wow.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: droid, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests